Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which season should the next animated reconstruction be from?
This poll is closed.
Season 1 (Marco Polo) 13 18.57%
Season 2 (The Crusade) 1 1.43%
Season 3 (Galaxy 4/The Myth Makers/The Daleks' Master Plan/The Massacre of St. Bartholomew's Eve/The Celestial Toymaker/The Savages) 25 35.71%
Season 4 (The Smugglers/The Highlanders/The Underwater Menace/The Evil of the Daleks) 16 22.86%
Season 5 (The Abominable Snowmen/The Web of Fear/The Wheel in Space) 11 15.71%
Season 6 (The Space Pirates) 4 5.71%
Total: 70 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
oh noooooooooooo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
What if animation, but too much

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

https://twitter.com/bigfinish/status/1330904382800605184?s=20

The final Main Range story

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
Really glad McGann is making one last appearance in the main range before it gets sunset

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

https://twitter.com/JohnBarrowman/status/1330965668548657152?s=20

https://twitter.com/trevorbaxendale/status/1330966541505060864?s=20

Davros1 fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Nov 23, 2020

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮
Optimism....rising.....

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

jivjov posted:

Really glad McGann is making one last appearance in the main range before it gets sunset

Whoa, they're sunsetting the main range? Any reason why?

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮

Bicyclops posted:

They’re doing individual ranges for Doctors 5, 6, & 7.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Bicyclops posted:

They said after 275 releases, newcomers are having a hard time jumping in, or knowing where to start. I assumed the forthcoming 5, 6, and 7 boxsets are going to be fashioned more like the 8th Doctor series.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Ah, yeah, that makes sense.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

https://twitter.com/paulxdesign/status/1330851919137550339?s=20

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

But the boxsets seem like they’re more exclusory than the main range? Single CD story releases surely trump multiple CD boxsets which have ongoing boxset continuity?

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

The_Doctor posted:

But the boxsets seem like they’re more exclusory than the main range? Single CD story releases surely trump multiple CD boxsets which have ongoing boxset continuity?

For years BF has been doing trilogies in the Main Range. This just might be a way to release the story arc all at once.

What I'm more interested in is what format are these boxsets going to take? Are they going to be like the Third Doctor Adventures, where it's two four parters? Or are they going to be like the Eighth Doctor series where they're four hour long stories?

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

The_Doctor posted:

I think the thing is that people at least get box sets; they're not perfect, but they're a known entity, you understand what you're getting into.

The monthly range is hard to really 'get', outside of 'they come out once a month'. It's not clear where to start, it's not clear how they relate to other stories both inside the range and outside of it.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Davros1 posted:

For years BF has been doing trilogies in the Main Range. This just might be a way to release the story arc all at once.

What I'm more interested in is what format are these boxsets going to take? Are they going to be like the Third Doctor Adventures, where it's two four parters? Or are they going to be like the Eighth Doctor series where they're four hour long stories?

I sort of liked when they switched to trilogies, but I hope they don't switch to the hour long stuff. :/

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Davros1 posted:

They said after 275 releases, newcomers are having a hard time jumping in, or knowing where to start. I assumed the forthcoming 5, 6, and 7 boxsets are going to be fashioned more like the 8th Doctor series.

With greatest respect, the explanation I heard was more budget driven -- boxsets are more economical that double disk releases.

It's also why ranges are slowly shifting over to three disk releases instead of four disk releases.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

I wonder what portion of people are actually even buying discs rather than downloading.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

I still buy the physical media.

Although the government loving with the mail has sucked. One order that shipped in August, only arrived last week. I wish BF would ship via DHL instead of the usual mail.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Looks like the Daleks are similarly in design to the one that rebuilt its armor in Resolution? I wonder if there's a reason for that or if that's actually the new Dalek design? I hope not, it was charming in Resolution but I don't want to see it as the default.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
Honestly, the Scrapyard Dalek was one of the best recent Dalek designs, so I'm optimistic about them trying to adapt it. Might not work out, but why not give it a shot?

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
Didn't we already see a bunch of Daleks in behind the scenes shots that looked like the bronze ones but recolored? I think that redesign is specifically for the recon ones.

Homora Gaykemi
Apr 30, 2020

by Fluffdaddy
I feel like Jack showing up again in the holiday special was kind of an open secret given how insubstantial his appearance in s11 was but it's nice to have official confirmation

The_Doctor posted:

I don't know what BigFin's data says their usual consumer does, but personally when I was buying their stuff more regularly I would only pick main range titles up when they were on sale but if a box set interested me I tended to buy it straight away.

Homora Gaykemi fucked around with this message at 09:25 on Nov 24, 2020

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

I liked the subscription model for digital releases, because it was kind of nice to get 13 stories and a small discount. I hope they still have a way to do that. I'm sure they know what they're doing when it comes to what's selling, but it's interesting to think what might have gone into the thought process.

What Big Finish needs to do, preferably before the next year's secret Santa, is find a way to do gift cards! :argh:

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Bicyclops posted:

What Big Finish needs to do, preferably before the next year's secret Santa, is find a way to do gift cards! :argh:

:sassargh:

What a good segue for me to say the deadline for sign up for Secret Santa is 11:59pm PST tomorrow, Wednesday 25th

The_Doctor fucked around with this message at 18:05 on Nov 24, 2020

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Bicyclops posted:

I liked the subscription model for digital releases, because it was kind of nice to get 13 stories and a small discount. I hope they still have a way to do that. I'm sure they know what they're doing when it comes to what's selling, but it's interesting to think what might have gone into the thought process.

Years and years ago, they did gift cards ... and didn't sell a single one

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

https://twitter.com/hmvtweets/status/1331387198004932609?s=20

Zaroff
Nov 10, 2009

Nothing in the world can stop me now!
That's a surprise - a very pleasant surprise but a surprise nonetheless!

I'd have thought the technical difficulties with that season (hand-colourised episodes, colour restored episodes, standards-converted episodes and so on) would have put it at the bottom of the pile of seasons to come out.

I wonder if this is going to come out in early 2021 to coincide with 50 years of the Master's first appearance?

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

It’s also up on Amazon UK

Forktoss
Feb 13, 2012

I'm OK, you're so-so
Speaking of, what's the general state of Who on bluray? Is everything out of print by now? Any significant added/dropped extras? My collection is stuck in the DVD age and I'm wondering if it would be worth it to make some upgrades.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

The earlier cardboard box Classic season Blu-ray releases were very low numbered as such, run very pricey on the secondary market because they all just sold out. I’m missing Seasons 10 and 19 and at the moment, which average about £150 each on eBay.

America is getting the seasons in more traditional blu-ray clamshell boxes so I may have to give in on those at some point.

Zaroff
Nov 10, 2009

Nothing in the world can stop me now!
The US/Canada releases have no region restrictions so they can be watched anywhere, plus Amazon Canada have some of them cheap (Season 19 is only $20 at the moment). The only major difference between the sets was a bonus feature on season 12 which couldn't be released here for licensing issues (it had clips from other TV shows of the time), but aside from that they're identical.

I don't know whether Amazon Canada has any restrictions to who can buy from them like the UK does, but it's an option!

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Revolution of the Daleks to be on Christmas Day this year, according to the Radio Times. :toot:

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

The_Doctor posted:

Revolution of the Daleks to be on Christmas Day this year, according to the Radio Times. :toot:

That's cool. It'll be nice to have something to watch at home. :unsmith:

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Mechanoids!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FDXm5c0q51M

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Bicyclops posted:

That's cool. It'll be nice to have something to watch at home. :unsmith:

Won't get to see it for a couple of days but thank gently caress for new Doctor Who :shobon:

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

https://twitter.com/pipmadeley/status/967164652445753345

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

It is very sad that I know enough about Doctor Who to have immediately known they were in Amsterdam, but my Only Fools and Horses knowledge is woefully incomplete and I didn't realize till halfway through their footage was also from an episode set in Amsterdam. I have shamed my ancestors.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

https://twitter.com/paulxdesign/status/1331913184819761152

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
Facebook informs me it has been five years.

So, let’s all enjoy one of the greatest scenes of at least Moffat’s tenure, if not the whole revival.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sl9pTDK8PAk

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Five years? That's enough time for 3 whole seasons! :aaa:

But seriously, goddamn I love that scene so loving much. That's one hell of a bird.