Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Andrew_1985
Sep 18, 2007
Hay hay hay!

Bust Rodd posted:

I’m afraid to watch Nu-Maniacs because I worry it will make me miss Freakazoid too much

Teen Titans Go! Had a recent crossover with Freakazoid. I wasn’t a fan as a kid, and after that episode, that hasn’t changed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

YggiDee posted:

I was never sure who the intended audience was for Classic Animaniacs. There were many, many Jerry Lewis references. There was an episode that was a parody of the documentary about the making of Apocalypse Now. Tiny Toons had a lot of similar stuff, whenever I didn't get a joke it was inevitably either 1) US politics, or 2) a 1960's television comedian.

Kids could just roll with that stuff and eventually have a fun little light bulb moment when they realize something was not original to the show. If anything those shows were a crash course in decades of pop culture I'd otherwise still know nothing about. Like I've never seen Citizen Kane but taking the common elements from Tiny Toons, The Real Ghostbusters, and The Simpsons I think I've got the gist of it.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Big Mouth Billy Basshole posted:

I liked the new Mareceline Adventure Time episode. A lot of sweet character moments, and interesting flashbacks. Also grown up Finn!

...hanging out in a van with Jake’s granddaughter felt really weird

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Feel free to pop over to the Thundercats Roar thread if you only follow this as a megathread, I like it but it is a kid's show :v:

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
Obsidian was pretty good, do we still have an adventure time thread?

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Koirhor posted:

Obsidian was pretty good, do we still have an adventure time thread?

It's in archives unless someone started a new one

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
HBO MAX is starting a new Adventure Time series that is just Bubblegum & Marceline flying to a far off country to slay a dragon, Finn & Jake ere no where to be seen in the trailer.

The Adventure stone thread here on SA was completely epic and the hands-down best discussion of the show happening anywhere but the absolutely pants-on-head viewing schedule on CN just ranked any momentum the final season had and I don’t think we had more than 5 posts about the hour-long final before the thread just died.

It’s just weird, I’m having a hard time remembering another property that went from being a fullbore social phenomenon to just quietly fading out of existence, Adventure Time was absolutely everywhere for like 4-5 years and then it just disappeared

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Bust Rodd posted:

HBO MAX is starting a new Adventure Time series that is just Bubblegum & Marceline flying to a far off country to slay a dragon, Finn & Jake ere no where to be seen in the trailer.

It's a one off as a part of their Distant Lands series. There's a Finn and Jake episode still to come.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Bust Rodd posted:

It’s just weird, I’m having a hard time remembering another property that went from being a fullbore social phenomenon to just quietly fading out of existence, Adventure Time was absolutely everywhere for like 4-5 years and then it just disappeared

Steven Universe just kinda came along and took a lot of its thunder.

AT also grew up with its audience meaning it wasn't attracting new younger viewers. Shows that do that have a limited shelf life in general

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Mokinokaro posted:

Steven Universe just kinda came along and took a lot of its thunder.

And also had its momentum absolutely ruined by CN's pants-on-head airing schedule.

(That and by CN forcing them to compress the entire last season of the original show down to five episodes after they exceeded the amount of Gay they were allowed to have)

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 14:21 on Nov 23, 2020

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I dunno, I personally don’t know anyone who “jumped ship” from AT to SU. They are incredibly different programs and I sort of was into SU for the first season but as the series progressed it just kept hammering home these weird tonal notes and plot beats and at some point I realized that I was just hate-watching it to see how far down the rabbit hole the show’s ambiguous morality would go. There are so many components of Stephen Universe that are extremely Sus or just send a very hosed up message, to me anyway. I never watched an episode of Adventure Time and went “wait, what? That’s the lesson? Oh HELL NAW”

I could totally see if some CN exec assumed SU was the same show as AT, an adventure for soft, twee people, but AT was many things that SU was not, and that SU never tried to be.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Seems like Cartoon Network was trying to copy Disney's weird scheduling voodoo and failing badly.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Bust Rodd posted:

I dunno, I personally don’t know anyone who “jumped ship” from AT to SU. They are incredibly different programs and I sort of was into SU for the first season but as the series progressed it just kept hammering home these weird tonal notes and plot beats and at some point I realized that I was just hate-watching it to see how far down the rabbit hole the show’s ambiguous morality would go. There are so many components of Stephen Universe that are extremely Sus or just send a very hosed up message, to me anyway. I never watched an episode of Adventure Time and went “wait, what? That’s the lesson? Oh HELL NAW”

Would you consider going into this in more detail? I never considered Steven Universe to be all that distasteful, though, yeah, it's a bit saccharin.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

Open Source Idiom posted:

Would you consider going into this in more detail? I never considered Steven Universe to be all that distasteful, though, yeah, it's a bit saccharin.

Disclaimer: I’m not yucking anyone’s yum, I understand SU is a very important show to lots of people, and as a queer person I’m over the moon for animated representations of same-sex couples and polycules, that’s fine. All my opinions come from the 2-3 seasons of the show I watched a few years ago, and I’m not attacking anyone who likes the show or disagrees with me.

Stephen Universe’s central through-line for all of its major and minor subplots seems to be “forgiveness and growing up” and the way they relate to one another. In a vacuum, learning to forgive those who trespass against you is a good value to aim for, it frees the mind from the anxiety of the pain caused by the transgression.

However, SU has a number of characters that are so transparently toxic or abusive and the show still treats them with kid gloves and behaves as though anyone acting mean/violent is entitled to some level of forgiveness and shrugging it off. I’m specifically thinking of the blue gem who cries all the time, she’s painted as this tragic figure but all of her behavior is just being this incredibly draining emotional vampire who causes tons of drama and strain on the group because she just cannot keep her poo poo together. In addition to coding the gems as queer, some of them are very obviously meant to be neuro-divergent (or rather Sugar’s very surface level interpretation of neuro-divergent people) and the whole thing sort of creates this very weird bubble that indicates that you should basically always forgive someone for the stress caused to you by their mental health issues, as though that’s how relationships work IRL.

This plays into a greater theme in the show, of accepting people as they are, but without the caveat that part of being an adult is handling your own poo poo and not forcing your loved ones to cater to your psychosis. The people in SU’s life come with all of this totally insane baggage that frequently places the others in harm’s way and causes them incredible stress and strain and every episode is just like “but that’s just who you are, Amethyst, and we love you anyway!”

I never felt, in the episodes I watched, like the show ever tasked anyone with growing up and getting over themselves besides Stephen. Every character that experiences “growth” just goes from being transparently evil to neutral to one of the gang, but the way their various neurosis complicate things never really changes and the onus of not dragging your friends and family down around you is never really addressed.

So the show, between the gems and the Pink Crystal, has this cast of characters with extreme personalities and histories of violence, genocide, causing emotional duress to everyone around them and dishonesty, and the moral of the show, as presented through Stephen, is just “that’s ok, as long as you try harder next time we’ll just hand wave everything away”. They even do this with Lars, a shitbag character who is portrayed and rude and abusive and conceited and somehow still viewed as indispensable and important to the other characters. So many characters in SU are just doormats who get bowled over by stronger personalities and the show even draws them timidly and they act timidly but there’s never any pay off or awakening, you just have a show of soft characters getting bullied by hard characters and that is painted as very normal. Every once in a while the doormats will blow up and grow a backbone (for one scene) and tell everyone how they really feel and it’s often portrayed as climactic even though it’s just as dysfunctional as the abuser.

That’s my primary beef with the program, my other two being much more in the weeds. I think the idea of “gems as sexual orientation/gender minorities” is a cool idea, but then when you add “fusion is like sex/being in a relationship” the entire show gets EXTREMELY weird and 3 adult women “fusing” with a child, or two children “fusing” to become an adult intersex person, just really sets off a variety of alarm bells in my head and I can’t help but be left wondering “WTF is Sugar trying to say with all this?” and every interpretation I have leaves me with more questions.

Finally, and this is a distant 3rd, but there is a racial component to the show that leaves me uneasy. Black cartoon vloggers and bloggers have spoken about it way more eloquently than I ever will, but in general all the ‘black’ coded gems like Bismuth or the main lady with the afro are extremely tropey. This might not be an issue in and of itself depending on who you ask, but there was also a scenario in which SU released a behind the scenes art book and one of the unused Gem designs is basically just a pickaninny doll with big red lips and blackface. The community proceeded to melt down and call them out and Sugar issued a formal apology that basically boiled down to “I had no idea this was racist, if I had know I would’t have let it go to print” which rings either fake or extremely hollow. If you don’t understand what is and isn’t racially charged or offensive, don’t make all your characters talk and act like black people with black hairstyles and black facial features... or, ya know, hire some black animators to make sure it’s handled respectfully. Bismuth is general was extremely controversial, and the POC fan base of SU really had a lot to say about the way she was drawn, acted, and handled in the storyline.

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges
What if I told you that the epilouge season was about how the events of the original show hosed Steven up bad

Bust Rodd posted:

or, ya know, hire some black animators to make sure it’s handled respectfully.

To be fair the show did in fact have multiple black artists (in fact the controversial art book design was drawn by one of them; not that that doesn't make it racist but its easier to understand how that would disarm anyone from realizing it looked sus)

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
In all likelihood I will one day look up a plot-relevant-episodes guide just to experience the full story, but at some point during S2 or S3, the issues I expressed stopped me from enjoying myself.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Bust Rodd posted:

I dunno, I personally don’t know anyone who “jumped ship” from AT to SU.

Well we don't know each other very well, internet stranger, but I am a person who jumped ship! Mainly because I mostly liked AT when it was more silly gags and later the show tended to get into its own lore and (to me) disappeared up its own rear end* and SU was a new show that had a lot of funny jokes. Ironically the same thing happened with SU (slowly abandoning humor for lore) but for some reason it didn't bother me as much then. I don't know, maybe I liked the characters more on that show or liked the lore and so decided to stick it out. (Although I did really dislike SU Future and I seem to be in the extreme minority there)

*for me the greatest example of this is taking a gag in the early seasons, when Marceline's dad calls one of the Ice King's penguins the most evil being in the universe, and then retconning it so no, it actually is the most evil being because there's a loving elder God stuck in his noggin. Like, jokes can just be jokes guys, everything doesn't have to have a meaning or secret past or something.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Bust Rodd posted:

That’s my primary beef with the program, my other two being much more in the weeds. I think the idea of “gems as sexual orientation/gender minorities” is a cool idea, but then when you add “fusion is like sex/being in a relationship” the entire show gets EXTREMELY weird and 3 adult women “fusing” with a child, or two children “fusing” to become an adult intersex person, just really sets off a variety of alarm bells in my head and I can’t help but be left wondering “WTF is Sugar trying to say with all this?” and every interpretation I have leaves me with more questions.

The stated intended interpretation is that fusion is creating a physical incarnation of whatever relationship exists between two individuals - familial, friendly, romantic, hated - as its own person. The idea is that it's meant to be a representation of whatever exists.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 17:45 on Nov 23, 2020

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I fell off liking Adventure Time somewhere around the point where Finn had his first boner and there was a whole episode where he loses his girlfriend trying to recreate the experience. Around then is where the world of the show stopped being fun with new things everywhere and started getting consumed in its lore. There was a real theme of just an uncaring, hostile, and incomprehensible world and all the characters started sinking into ennui, becoming less self-actualized over time, and it was basically a different show, possibly because of the changes in its staff as Pendleton Ward stepped down and other people went off to make their own shows.

I still followed it, but by that point other shows cropped up that drew more of my attention like Steven Universe and Gravity Falls and then Over the Garden Wall, and heck, Regular Show had stories going about adults in an adult world maturing in a way that wasn't totally draining them.

You're not wrong in that fusion was kinda creepy when at first it had sexual overtones which isn't good when it's a thing 12-year-olds were doing (the first Stevonnie episode was especially creepy, and not in the way the show intended), but I think the sexual overtones got downplayed later on.

I do disagree with your take on characters being toxic though. Lars started out as basically Squidward, but instead of the jokes about his suffering increasing to the point that he attempts suicide multiple times, the show eventually gives a little respect to his character and shows him as just kinda dumb and confused at the age where most people are dumb and confused. Lapis was in a complicated space after dealing with being passively tormented for 5,000 years and then actively tormented by the first Homeworld gems she met. Being mean to Peridot for an episode and stealing a house to avoid going to war again is pretty understandable. A lot of people act like jerks sometimes, but you can't just sever them every time.

I guess I'm also a bit of a sucker for characters just learning to be nice and being redeemed.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

SlothfulCobra posted:

I fell off liking Adventure Time somewhere around the point where Finn had his first boner and there was a whole episode where he loses his girlfriend trying to recreate the experience.

As someone with only a cursory awareness of either show, loving what?

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Warbird posted:

It's more metaphorical, but pretty obvious. Finn's sexuality does clearly seem to be... undirected, maybe to be expected from someone who never met anyone of the same species until adolescence. And he's also a confirmed masochist.

I fell off around the Orgalorg arc ending in a wet fart, but apparently it got better?

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Warbird posted:

There's an episode (don't know the name offhand) where Finn's then-girlfriend Flame Princess fights the Ice King and kicks his butt and Finn is very into it. He then writes mean letters to both of them posing as the other in an attempt to set up more fights and engineer a repeat of the same moment, then when they find that Finn wrote the letters, the fact that he was capable of saying a bunch of mean things about her causes Flame Princess to break up with him.

This does not cause a literal boner, but as Ghost Leviathan notes, the subtext is very not hidden that the fights are getting him off.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

After Orgalorg the show stopped being so directly destructive towards its characters. It also started doing these little miniseries with overarching narratives that worked pretty well even if it couldn't fully reconstitute the show's original magic and definitely couldn't make the show into more of a narrative thing like later cartoons became.

Warbird posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rk170gitZW0

I think the messaging is pretty clear even if we don't see the boner.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I liked the direction later Adventure Time took because I can only take piecemeal vignettes about something being uncanny and silly for so long. I respect any creator who tries to tell a story, and they had a lot of stories to tell, but eventually ended up telling a much larger, much weirder story than some people were prepared for. Finn’s arc with his dad and his sword and his arm and Grass Finn was all great, and they even dug in and built up Flame Princess and gave her Cinnamon Bun as a knight.

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I fell off around the Orgalorg arc ending in a wet fart, but apparently it got better?

Honestly production season 7 (the way CN advertised the later seasons didn't line up with how they were written/produced) is probably one of the best seasons in the show's run (certainly the best season from the Adam Muto as showrunner era). Production season 8 is also really good (to the point where I would not look at people who would say it's better than season 7 funny). The final season is kinda duddy because it was only 12 episodes and an hour special and also wasn't written to be the final season in mind until they found out CN wouldn't give them any more episodes and they had to retool the hour finale (which was originally meant to basically segue into the planned final season). It probably would've still been an eh season even if they did get the final season they wanted, but it wouldn't have had that "this is the final season and it's kinda a dud" hanging over its head.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Digamma-F-Wau posted:

Honestly production season 7 (the way CN advertised the later seasons didn't line up with how they were written/produced) is probably one of the best seasons in the show's run (certainly the best season from the Adam Muto as showrunner era). Production season 8 is also really good (to the point where I would not look at people who would say it's better than season 7 funny). The final season is kinda duddy because it was only 12 episodes and an hour special and also wasn't written to be the final season in mind until they found out CN wouldn't give them any more episodes and they had to retool the hour finale (which was originally meant to basically segue into the planned final season). It probably would've still been an eh season even if they did get the final season they wanted, but it wouldn't have had that "this is the final season and it's kinda a dud" hanging over its head.
Which were the AT seasons that had a lot of episodes that just kinda made all the long-running story arcs fizzle out in their concluding episodes? I think it was the season with the Orgalorg episodes. I found Finn's dialogue devolved into almost monotone pseudo-philosophical platitudes at times and while it was interesting from an artistic perspective, it just sucked all the emotional connection out of the show for me. I was really missing the songs and heartwrenching scenes I had loved from earlier in the series (like with Ice King's missing memories and his relationship with Marceline).

Of course, that's where Steven Universe took over and became almost entirely that, so there was still a place to get my fix, I guess.

Adventure Time did swerve back to meaningful character moments in the final couple of seasons, though. I loved the Stakes and Islands miniseries.

JazzFlight fucked around with this message at 23:56 on Nov 23, 2020

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

JazzFlight posted:

Which were the AT seasons that had a lot of episodes that just kinda made all the long-running story arcs fizzle out in their concluding episodes? I think it was the season with the Orgalorg episodes.

Yeah that was Season 6. Season 7 was the season with Stakes, and season 8 had both Islands and Elements

Orgalorg was actually going to be the antagonist of the scrapped mid season 5 hour special, which from what we know sounds like was just a mess of ideas (that were later mined and incorporated into season 6's general arc)

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
It really cannot be overstated how loving insane Jesse Moynihan and Adam Muto are. Like brilliant geniuses, but absolutely gibbering at the same time.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Bust Rodd posted:

It really cannot be overstated how loving insane Jesse Moynihan and Adam Muto are. Like brilliant geniuses, but absolutely gibbering at the same time.
Jesse Moynihan, that was the guy who I felt was making the show a bit too psychedelic at the expense of its characters.

I think I can look back on it now that it's over and go, "wow, these are some amazingly trippy concepts, I love it," but at the time watching week to week, I was wondering if the show had lost its way.

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

People don't give Tom Herpich and Steve Wolfhard enough credit

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.

TwoPair posted:

There's an episode (don't know the name offhand) where Finn's then-girlfriend Flame Princess fights the Ice King and kicks his butt and Finn is very into it. He then writes mean letters to both of them posing as the other in an attempt to set up more fights and engineer a repeat of the same moment, then when they find that Finn wrote the letters, the fact that he was capable of saying a bunch of mean things about her causes Flame Princess to break up with him.

This does not cause a literal boner, but as Ghost Leviathan notes, the subtext is very not hidden that the fights are getting him off.

I thought it was because Finn was seeing some prophet owl in his dreams and Jake knew it was important that Finn find out what the owl was telling him and so he encouraged Finn to write those letters.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
AT's fatal flaw was baked into it from the start. It wanted to be both loose and improvisational while having emotional stakes and long term consequences. In practice this resulted in a writing process where nothing was planned out and one writer would put something into play (Princess Bubblegum is now Finn's age!) and then another one would randomly gently caress it up because they had a neat idea for a side story or something (aaaand she's immediately back to normal). This was an issue from the start but became impossible to ignore when Penn left because with his unique sense of humor gone the plot had to stand up under it's own weight and it just... wasn't built to do that. The worst example IMO being Finn losing his arm, getting it back in a random episode about a horny bee, then losing it again later after the writers realized that magically overcoming a disability is kind of lovely.

As you might expect the reason seasons 7 and 8 are better than the previous ones is that they did a better job structuring their plots. Not a perfect job mind you, but significantly better. Honestly this is why I'd be fine with them just releasing hour long specials like the one's we've been getting forever and never having them try to do long term storyline again. The 45 min format is long enough to have plots with some weight behind them but short enough to keep them from shuffling writers without a plan and the results have been fantastic.

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

one thing a lot of people tend to overlook is that Pen actually stayed involved in the series a while after he stepped down as showrunner: while he stepped down mid season 5, he didn't stop being consistently involved in episode outlines until mid season 7 (and still contributed stuff from time to time)

Also worth noting that there was a consistent-ish (as in every so often some people would phase out and get replaced with new people, but individual core writing team member's time on the show could still be measured in seasons) core outline writing team. While boarders did have a ton of influence on how the final eps turned out from said outlines (and by later seasons boarders coming up with their own outlines was common, though said core writing team still had input on said outlines). Hell you could actually use Mortal Folly and Too Young as examples: the reversal of bubblegum's deaging was due to the writers (the core writing team didn't have any change ups between said eps) just realizing they didn't actually like the idea, not that different writers had different ideas, and both episodes share a storyboard artist. On the other hand Too Young does show how much influence boarders could have on the final ep as well: apparently the original outline had the antagonist of the ep be Bubblegum's Uncle, who the boarders thought was just kind of a dull rear end in a top hat, so they completely retooled him into Lemongrab.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Digamma-F-Wau posted:

On the other hand Too Young does show how much influence boarders could have on the final ep as well: apparently the original outline had the antagonist of the ep be Bubblegum's Uncle, who the boarders thought was just kind of a dull rear end in a top hat, so they completely retooled him into Lemongrab.
THANK.
GOD.

Lol, I wonder if Justin Roiland's career took off because of that role. Rick and Morty might not have existed based on that one decision, right?

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Digamma-F-Wau posted:

Bubblegum's Uncle, who the boarders thought was just kind of a dull rear end in a top hat,

Not wrong.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Mraagvpeine posted:

I thought it was because Finn was seeing some prophet owl in his dreams and Jake knew it was important that Finn find out what the owl was telling him and so he encouraged Finn to write those letters.

ha, I forgot that happens. You're right that the letter part comes after Jake encourages it but that comes later, his initial impetus for trying to recreate the fight is just horniness.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
Honestly I despise Too Young as an episode I feel that one is where the first cracks in the show started showing up and would lead to it's downfall

Reminds me that a couple years ago around the time the finale came out, I was in a thread where people were talking about the show as a whole and a common thread was that they felt the show had been going on too long amd wondered how the show would have been if it had capped off at say a 3 season 100 episode run, I took up that challenge and made a decent "condensed" version of Adventure Time, though I ended up going over the 100 episode part of the challenge, I should go dig it up as I thought it was a good concept

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

drrockso20 posted:

Honestly I despise Too Young as an episode I feel that one is where the first cracks in the show started showing up and would lead to it's downfall

Reminds me that a couple years ago around the time the finale came out, I was in a thread where people were talking about the show as a whole and a common thread was that they felt the show had been going on too long amd wondered how the show would have been if it had capped off at say a 3 season 100 episode run, I took up that challenge and made a decent "condensed" version of Adventure Time, though I ended up going over the 100 episode part of the challenge, I should go dig it up as I thought it was a good concept

found it, my concept condensing down Adventure Time from 279 episodes(not counting the HBO Max specials) to 104(though honestly if I were to tinker with this list again I'd probably add back in another 10 to 20 or so episodes I chopped out the first time cause I had been focused on getting the list pared down to as close to 100 as I could rather than just the episodes I wanted to include);

Season 1

1. Slumber Party Panic
2. Trouble in Lumpy Space
3. Prisoners of Love
4. The Enchiridion
5. Ricardio the Heart Guy
6. My Two Favorite People
7. Memories of Boom Boom Mountain
8. Wizard
9. Evicted
10. City of Thieves
11. What is Life
12. Ocean of Fear
13. Dungeon
14. Freak City
15. Donny
16. Henchman
17. What Have You Done
18. His Hero
19. Gut Grinder
20. It Came From The Nightosphere
21. Blood Under the Skin
22. Power Animal
23. To Cut a Woman's Hair
24. The Chamber of Frozen Blades
25. Her Parents
26. The Silent King
27. The Real You
28. Death in Bloom
29. Susan Strong
30. Mystery Train

Season 2

1. Go With Me
2. The Limit
3. Video Makers
4. Morituri Te Salutamus
5. Memory of a Memory
6. Hitman
7. Wizard Battle
8. What Was Missing
9. The Creeps
10. From Bad to Worse
11. Beautopia
12. No One Can Hear You
13. Jake vs Me-Mow
14. Thank You
15. The New Frontier
16. Holly Jolly Secrets(Parts 1 & 2)
17. Marceline's Closet
18. Ghost Princess
19. Dad's Dungeon
20. Hug Wolf
21. Princess Monster Wife
22. Goliad
23. Beyond this Earthly Realm
24. Sons of Mars
25. Lady & Peebles
26. The Hard Easy
27. Reign of Gunters
28. Little Dude
29. Return to the Nightosphere
30. Daddy's Little Monster
31. I Remember You
32. Simon & Marcy

Season 3

1. Jake the Dad
2. A Glitch is a Glitch
3. Puhoy
4. One Last Job
5. Be More
6. Sky Witch
7. Time Sandwich
8. The Vault
9. Dungeon Train
10. Box Prince
11. Root Beer Guy
12. Rattleballs
13. Ocarina
14. Princess Day
15. Jake The Brick
16. Dentist
17. The Pajama War
18. Dark Purple
19. The Diary
20. Jermaine
21. Summer Showers
22. President Porpoise is Missing
23. Blank-Eyed Girl
24. Scamps
25. The Hall of Egress
26. Flute Spell
27. Don't Look
28. Lady Rainicorn of the Crystal Dimension
29. The Music Hole
30. Wheels
31. Preboot
32. Reboot
33. The Invitation
34. Whipple the Happy Dragon
35. Mysterious Island
36. Imaginary Resources
37. Hide and Seek
38. Min and Marty
39. Helpers
40. The Light Cloud
41. Mortal Folly
42. Mortal Recoil

so yeah some rearranging happened here like chopping out a Lot of subplots and even characters(Flame Princess almost completely disappears outside of a background cameo or two and Martin completely disappears outside of his Islands flashback appearances for two examples) and moving Mortal Folly & Mortal Recoil to the end to serve as a replacement finale(among the things I'd change if I revisited this concept would be rearranging the 3rd season so there's more of a breather between Islands and MF/MR happening)

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

JazzFlight posted:

THANK.
GOD.

Lol, I wonder if Justin Roiland's career took off because of that role. Rick and Morty might not have existed based on that one decision, right?

No Roiland had his own stuff going on in YouTube land which is how he got in touch with Harmon, Lemongrab was just a side hustle

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

plus he was already a writer and voice actor on Fish Hooks

Man it's crazy how many notable people (both in a already well known from previous stuff sense and a would go on to become a major figure sense) worked on Fish Hooks