Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!

UZR IS BULLSHIT posted:

Battles where you have to fight Kohga with a time limit are horse poo poo, it's so difficult to get his weak point gauge to appear

Is there a list of which attacks for each character are best at triggering weak points?

Also, what does leveling up actually do for your character? Since it doesn't increase your hearts, and your damage is based on your weapon...

If you need to get a quick weak point gauge, the Rods will always show it for a short time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe
Specials do a lot of damage (and freeze the timer for their duration) so don't forget to use those.

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

"I stood there, wondering why the puck was getting bigger...

and then it hit me."

a cartoon duck posted:

hitting the shrine with ZR gives you two symbols, meaning it's always a net positive and a quick way to max out symbols as long as you have one to start with

It took me a while to figure out what this character's ZR is good for, and this was the first thing I found. However, it also seems pretty nuts with his C6, as you can go gigantic right after mashing to summon the 6 spike balls, and he crushes all of them, immediately getting all his giant symbols back and likely doing a huge chunk of damage and/or weak point gauge damage.

Edit: Okay yeah, that was the piece I was missing. His ZR interacts with his C2, C3, and C6 balls in fun ways.

Shadow Ninja 64 fucked around with this message at 02:37 on Nov 24, 2020

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

UZR IS BULLSHIT posted:

Battles where you have to fight Kohga with a time limit are horse poo poo, it's so difficult to get his weak point gauge to appear

Is there a list of which attacks for each character are best at triggering weak points?

Also, what does leveling up actually do for your character? Since it doesn't increase your hearts, and your damage is based on your weapon...
You do gain hearts at certain level thresholds. Not sure if it also buffs your strength or not. I would think it would if stages recommend certain levels, right?

Ardryn
Oct 27, 2007

Rolling around at the speed of sound.

JazzFlight posted:

You do gain hearts at certain level thresholds. Not sure if it also buffs your strength or not. I would think it would if stages recommend certain levels, right?

UZR IS BULLSHIT posted:

You get one heart every 5 levels, which I think is how HW1 handled it and I think you do get a little base attack increase because you will absolutely crush earlier stages with a high level character, low attack weapon or no. And most characters will cause a very short weakpoint expose with their C5 or C6 combo, which for some characters will be just long enough for you to stasis the mob and extend the expose.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

I'm still pretty early on but after unlocking the 4 champions the only characters I'm not really liking are Impa whose symbol thing is too finicky for me and sword'n'board Link who is just kinda boring. Zelda needs to get some more combos already though.

The Postman
May 12, 2007

Any recommendations for filling up your rods? I've just been going through the assorted wizzrobe side mission for now.

Crawfish
Dec 11, 2012

The Moon Monster posted:

I'm still pretty early on but after unlocking the 4 champions the only characters I'm not really liking are Impa whose symbol thing is too finicky for me and sword'n'board Link who is just kinda boring. Zelda needs to get some more combos already though.
Most of these issues are fixed with later available character upgrades.

Also as someone earlier in the thread said, Impa is a whole lot more overkill when you realize you can tag three enemies in a row and then use.....I think XXXY or XXXXY and she absorbs all three symbols at once.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

The Moon Monster posted:

The symbol thing is less complicated than it's presented-- you just ZR 3 trash mobs, C3 or C4 them, and then
- Run around hitting things with all your shadow copies, and
- Use your special attack to make a stack of bombs instead of just one

that's literally all there is to it.

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe
It can get harder when you're 1v1, like against a hinox or a talos, but I've found that using Impa's ZR while airborne is a safe (if time consuming) way to safely get symbols. Might be riskier than I think though, need to experiment more.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
I found my mains for now. Gonna use Mipha for general usage, and Riju for crowd control. The latter can basically spin to win to wipe out an entire map.

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

Is there a good character tier list?

Deceptive Thinker
Oct 5, 2005

I'll rip out your optics!

Senerio posted:

I found my mains for now. Gonna use Mipha for general usage, and Riju for crowd control. The latter can basically spin to win to wipe out an entire map.

She's ridiculous and just zooms across maps trampling everything in sight, but then you're trying to fight bosses and it's like trying to balance an egg on it's end

UZR IS BULLSHIT
Jan 25, 2004
Yeah that's what I'm realizing, some characters are gods against hordes of bokoblins but absolutely can't scratch captains or bosses.

Link with a spear is the best of both worlds tho

RoyalScion
May 16, 2009
Oh, of course there's a 4th hair-width trail with Octoroks :shepface:

EDIT: actually they were generous with checkpoints so it was a lot easier than it seemed.

RoyalScion fucked around with this message at 08:14 on Nov 24, 2020

Ardryn
Oct 27, 2007

Rolling around at the speed of sound.

UZR IS BULLSHIT posted:

Yeah that's what I'm realizing, some characters are gods against hordes of bokoblins but absolutely can't scratch captains or bosses.

Link with a spear is the best of both worlds tho

As much as I love spearink, because Ganondorf Trident was an absolute monster, I am completely addicted to twohander Link there is nothing like a full C6 berserker combo.

Violen
Jul 25, 2009

ohoho~
how is impa real

ive never touched a musou and i have no idea what im doing at all and just started and she still merked 500 enemies and like 10 minibosses in 3 minutes

shes just a constant nuke in all directions

Crawfish
Dec 11, 2012

Violen posted:

how is impa real

ive never touched a musou and i have no idea what im doing at all and just started and she still merked 500 enemies and like 10 minibosses in 3 minutes

She's honestly my clutch character for any Lv 60+ missions that my Lv 81 Link doesn't have access to.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
Reviews say the amiibo functionality is just any 5 per day, no special or improved benefits for zelda specific?

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:
Mipha is my highest character at 67 currently, being able to teleport to whirlpools and have wide sweeping attacks make her great for crowd clearing and hitting multiple large enemies at once, her bomb rune is also excellent at locking down Taluses of all flavours as the bomb rain pretty much always blows their arms off which forces a down on them.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

The symbol thing is less complicated than it's presented-- you just ZR 3 trash mobs, C3 or C4 them, and then
- Run around hitting things with all your shadow copies, and
- Use your special attack to make a stack of bombs instead of just one

that's literally all there is to it.

I get how it works, it's still more finicky than other characters who don't have to keep symbols going.

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

i did some soul-searching, and realised one of the big reasons this game feels more fun and active than the first hyrule warriors is that enemy officers don't block. just the fact you can whack bosses when nothing else is going on instead of having a block-off until your enemy makes the mistake of not blocking makes a huge difference

speaking of blocking, i also noticed big/heavy characters have a different block than normal and smaller characters. where most characters get guard-crushed by strong hits and combo enders, heavies can block those no problem and still have plenty of time to exploit follow-up weak points. additionally, light attacks seem to have a "grace period" where if you press block, your last attack animation still plays but the game considers you in a blocking state and will just go into the block animation once an attack connects. conversely, dodges seem to have invincible frames at the start, but then end on vulnerable frames where blocking is disabled, making dodges slightly risky on smaller characters and actively hazardous on heavy characters.

in short, just knowing that i can block everything but should avoid dodging made the Great Fairies considerably more usable.

The Postman
May 12, 2007

a cartoon duck posted:

in short, just knowing that i can block everything but should avoid dodging made the Great Fairies considerably more usable.

Oh poo poo I'm going to have to try this. I'm trying to naturally keep everyone's level balanced by pulling out my lowest leveled characters for missions and I dread this character every time. I also think my leveling strategy is starting to become a little unsustainable but I like forcing myself to give characters a fair shot.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

The Postman posted:

Oh poo poo I'm going to have to try this. I'm trying to naturally keep everyone's level balanced by pulling out my lowest leveled characters for missions and I dread this character every time. I also think my leveling strategy is starting to become a little unsustainable but I like forcing myself to give characters a fair shot.

This game honestly actively discourages* manually keeping characters balanced-- if you want to play other characters it seems to really be better if you pay to level them up to your current max before taking them in, otherwise you're nearly inevitably going to be forced to replay old levels/challenges to grind your underlevelled characters up to the level recommendation going forward.

*My eggbot was "recommending" the training camp for me more often than not on the world map from about mission 8 onwards

RoyalScion
May 16, 2009
One amusing thing I noticed is Link has pretty heavy super armor in the longest 2h sword heavy combo, so you can just facetank all the hits while you mash like a monkey then heal up afterwards with charge attack or neutral x.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
I unlocked the ability to see how many Koroks are in a level, I went back to Battle for Hyrule Field and ran around for half an hour and still am missing one, ugh. I'm also still way short of Bokoblin parts to unlock Skull Lake because I was an idiot and sold a bunch for rupees for weapon fusion two chapters back.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Twelve by Pies posted:

I unlocked the ability to see how many Koroks are in a level, I went back to Battle for Hyrule Field and ran around for half an hour and still am missing one, ugh. I'm also still way short of Bokoblin parts to unlock Skull Lake because I was an idiot and sold a bunch for rupees for weapon fusion two chapters back.
Looks like there are guides to find all the seeds:
https://game8.co/games/Hyrule-Warriors-AoC/archives/309383

The Postman
May 12, 2007

Do you keep monster parts and other goodies if you fail a side mission?

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

"I stood there, wondering why the puck was getting bigger...

and then it hit me."

Twelve by Pies posted:

I like to use the level 12 Zelda's Training map to kill Bokoblins quick, provided you have all her bonus combo unlocks and a weapon with good farming skills on it for her.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

a cartoon duck posted:

i did some soul-searching, and realised one of the big reasons this game feels more fun and active than the first hyrule warriors is that enemy officers don't block. just the fact you can whack bosses when nothing else is going on instead of having a block-off until your enemy makes the mistake of not blocking makes a huge difference

speaking of blocking, i also noticed big/heavy characters have a different block than normal and smaller characters. where most characters get guard-crushed by strong hits and combo enders, heavies can block those no problem and still have plenty of time to exploit follow-up weak points. additionally, light attacks seem to have a "grace period" where if you press block, your last attack animation still plays but the game considers you in a blocking state and will just go into the block animation once an attack connects. conversely, dodges seem to have invincible frames at the start, but then end on vulnerable frames where blocking is disabled, making dodges slightly risky on smaller characters and actively hazardous on heavy characters.

See, I tried this, but blocking as that character doesn't seem to do anything against elemental attacks. Is there something else I'm missing?

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

I never block at all. not as a challenge thing I just forget block is in this game

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.

b_d posted:

I never block at all. not as a challenge thing I just forget block is in this game

I wish I could remember myself. All of those corridor enemies designed to just knock you on your arse to stop you from running about is really loving annoying.

Dealing with them is like having to close a spammy popup. It's not fun, especially when I'm some 20 levels higher than the mission requirement.

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

The glow is a guide, my friend. Though it falls to you to avert catastrophe, you will never fight alone.
I've played far too much of the original Hyrule warriors and just dodge spamming to animation cancel to remember a block button.

Then there's also flurry rush to incentivize not blocking.

Red Minjo
Oct 20, 2010

Out of the houses, which is the most blue?

The answer might not be be obvious at first.

Gravy Boat 2k
Imagine if animation canceling didn't exist for Ghirahim

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
Yeah, I haven't been blocking much in AoC. Dodging is so much more fun and stylish.

Haven't made it very far yet, just have Mipha and Daruk unlocked, but I'm really enjoying everything so far. Might be smart to start looking up korok seed locations before I get too far, but I guess replaying levels with overpowered gear later on should make things easier, so whatever.

Deceptive Thinker
Oct 5, 2005

Violen posted:

how is impa real

I'll play a few missions as other characters and be like "wow this character is actually pretty good and I'm getting the hang of them" and then I'll have one with multiples to switch between and bring Impa and I switch to her and suddenly I have full special meters and everything is dead and what the hell I really thought that other character was good?

The Postman
May 12, 2007

Echophonic posted:

Yeah, I haven't been blocking much in AoC. Dodging is so much more fun and stylish.

Haven't made it very far yet, just have Mipha and Daruk unlocked, but I'm really enjoying everything so far. Might be smart to start looking up korok seed locations before I get too far, but I guess replaying levels with overpowered gear later on should make things easier, so whatever.

Going back for Korok seeds is my plan. Ideally I can make someone a weapon that gives more monster parts or rupees too so I can collect stuff for quests more efficiently at the same time.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

The Postman posted:

Going back for Korok seeds is my plan. Ideally I can make someone a weapon that gives more monster parts or rupees too so I can collect stuff for quests more efficiently at the same time.

This is a great plan and I’m stealing it. When do you get the ability to see how many Korok seeds are in a mission?

I found one in a side quest and was very surprised, I had assumed that they’d only be in story missions but I guess those wacky Korok are just everywhere!

Deceptive Thinker
Oct 5, 2005

Wow Urbosa gets way more fun once you unlock her later combos and a second or third special bar

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Postman
May 12, 2007

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

This is a great plan and I’m stealing it. When do you get the ability to see how many Korok seeds are in a mission?

I found one in a side quest and was very surprised, I had assumed that they’d only be in story missions but I guess those wacky Korok are just everywhere!

You unlock the quest for it sometime in chapter 4 I believe