Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Development
Jun 2, 2016

Literally Lewis Hamilton posted:

Anyone have an interest in a goon Everest group? Looks like 6x up Ventoux will get it. Thinking before the year is out.

a few of us were thinking of doing a punchy + chill group ride. Hammer up rolling hills, zone 2 between hills.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

Hell, same. Watched two guys ride off into the distance and snag 35 and 36 minute times.

Looks at dis m'fuc just casually throwing down a 40:40.

e: jk lol sitting at 183bpm avg for 30min. :stare:

TobinHatesYou fucked around with this message at 04:14 on Nov 24, 2020

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

Development posted:

a few of us were thinking of doing a punchy + chill group ride. Hammer up rolling hills, zone 2 between hills.

I'd do this if someone babysits me :getin:

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Development posted:

This sounds like way more fun than torturing myself up Ventoux. Let me know the details whenever it firms up.

TobinHatesYou posted:

Looks at dis m'fuc just casually throwing down a 40:40.

e: jk lol sitting at 183bpm avg for 30min. :stare:

Team Hummingbird :angel:

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain

Present.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

unites buzzingly

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
Got a Tacx flux s, and started riding zwift. My butt is still working up to the saddle. Can sustain 150 watts for thirty minutes so far. I am L RADIKAL on zwift, hmu!

Pantsmaster Bill
May 7, 2007

I got a new PR up the Epic KOM on Wednesday, and set myself an all time 20 min power record (251W) while I was at it.

22.49, 254W, 193bpm

Pretty pleased with that!

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Pantsmaster Bill posted:

I got a new PR up the Epic KOM on Wednesday, and set myself an all time 20 min power record (251W) while I was at it.

22.49, 254W, 193bpm

Pretty pleased with that!

You have been added to TeamHummingbird.xlxs

LRADIKAL posted:

Got a Tacx flux s, and started riding zwift. My butt is still working up to the saddle. Can sustain 150 watts for thirty minutes so far. I am L RADIKAL on zwift, hmu!

Added

Pantsmaster Bill
May 7, 2007

You have been added to TeamHummingbird.xlxs

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

:eyepop:

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
I can get to 181bpm while jogging, but I certainly haven't worked my way up even close to this level on a bike yet. Wow, is that safe? How old are you?

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

"Hey, where did Steve go?"
Design by Kamoc

LRADIKAL posted:

I can get to 181bpm while jogging, but I certainly haven't worked my way up even close to this level on a bike yet. Wow, is that safe? How old are you?

I got up to 217 mountain biking once.

Would
Not
Recommend.

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

I haven't been over 210 this year.
I also haven't raced cyclocross this year.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Where is this on intervals.icu?

Pantsmaster Bill
May 7, 2007

Where is this on intervals.icu?

If you go on the heart rate info for an activity, you can change the options on the curve graph to include the season and other periods you’ve set up.

Bi-la kaifa
Feb 4, 2011

Space maggots.

Above 190bpm is my nono zone

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Pantsmaster Bill posted:

If you go on the heart rate info for an activity, you can change the options on the curve graph to include the season and other periods you’ve set up.

Ah thanks, I was looking for something like the power curve section. The site is useful but man some things are not intuitive.

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

This wasn't a sinus rhythm so it's cheating.

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about
I hope all you 200+ people are tiny babies because if you're anywhere near 30 and doing that I'm gonna be very mad at your insane hearts

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

Vando posted:

I hope all you 200+ people are tiny babies because if you're anywhere near 30 and doing that I'm gonna be very mad at your insane hearts

I’m 35 and can hit the upper 190s :colbert:

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Vando posted:

36 and can hit 210 hell yeah

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

Vando posted:

Sorry, 35. Hearts are dumb.
Fortunately there is no evidence that this has any implications positive or negative for cycling performance so it's just a big shrug.

Pantsmaster Bill
May 7, 2007

Yeah I’m 31. It makes no difference to anything, really. I do have an implanted tracker for other reasons, but the doctors said none of the data coming through to them when I train is a cause for concern (same with my overnight rate which is <40).

A baby ate my dingo
May 12, 2001
Zwift newbie here, I’m using an old dumb cycleops wheel on trainer with speed and cadence sensors attached to the bike. Is there a better method for getting the manual resistance set other than “adjust until the effort for a given speed feels the same as outdoors” ?

Bi-la kaifa
Feb 4, 2011

Space maggots.

I think it's three full knob turns after your tire makes contact, and make sure your tire is properly inflated. Very unscientific but it's what was passed down from the previous owner of my trainer.

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man
1) Clean the surface of the roller with isopropyl alcohol
2) Clean the tire tread with isopropyl alcochol
3) Inflate the tire to near max rated PSI
4) Turn the knob until the tire won't slip at the wheel speeds / accelerations you can achieve.
5) Use gearing to adjust your efforts.

Shadowhand00
Jan 23, 2006

Golden Bear is ever watching; day by day he prowls, and when he hears the tread of lowly Stanfurd red,from his Lair he fiercely growls.
Toilet Rascal
I think my friend did an Everest every weekend for months. Think he did an Everevereverest during Thanksgiving last year.

I totally get him though.

This was a multi-everest he did:

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

2M ft of vertical in a year, holy moly. I thought I rode a lot.

BeastPussy
Jul 15, 2003

im so mumped up lmao
Just gonna casually leave this Longest Ride stat in there too :grin:

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar
Something is wrong with that dude.

Octopus Magic
Dec 19, 2003

I HATE EVERYTHING THAT YOU LIKE* AND I NEED TO BE SURE YOU ALL KNOW THAT EVERY TIME I POST

*unless it's a DSM in which case we cool ^_^

n8r posted:

Something is wrong with that dude.

Agreedo

Shadowhand00
Jan 23, 2006

Golden Bear is ever watching; day by day he prowls, and when he hears the tread of lowly Stanfurd red,from his Lair he fiercely growls.
Toilet Rascal
He's a nice guy, just a little obsessed with being #1 for stuff. There's a tracker for climbing Bohlman - On Orbit (https://pjammcycling.com/climb/1963.Bohlman-On-Orbit) and I think he's got #1 there by a good 200 climbs or so. I really admire him.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Shadowhand00 posted:

He's a nice guy, just a little obsessed with being #1 for stuff. There's a tracker for climbing Bohlman - On Orbit (https://pjammcycling.com/climb/1963.Bohlman-On-Orbit) and I think he's got #1 there by a good 200 climbs or so. I really admire him.

drat the first half of that climb looks brutal.

Crumps Brother
Sep 5, 2007

-G-
Get Equipped with
Ground Game
Hell yeah! Highest I've ever tested on this trainer setup. Looks like that maths itself out to 3.40 w/kg too.

I once did 279 on a buddy's Elite Dorito, but that doesn't really count cuz it doesn't translate at all to my Kinetic Road Machine.

Crumps Brother fucked around with this message at 21:28 on Dec 23, 2020

stramit
Dec 9, 2004
Ask me about making games instead of gains.
Hi all i'm looking for some advice. I've been in second lockdown in my city for the last few weeks and I managed to snag a (lovely) spin cycle from a friend of a friend for $100. It's been really great but I think that it's got an expiration date of about 2 months given it's really poor build quality, my size, and how intense I'm riding it (it also has not computer anymore!).

All that aside i'm really enjoying the challenge and am thinking that it would make sense to replace this with a better and higher quality spin cycle in a month or so when it does. I've been looking at the keiser m3i and it seems to tick a lot of boxes for me (can connect to training apps, has a simple computer but not big 'smart bike' systems). I'm wondering if anyone has any experience with this bike? I generally like to to get between 40 minutes and 2 hours of cardio a day.

Right now I only have a single speed fixie which lives 5 floors below me in the shared bike basement and isn't something I am able to bring up and down every day just to train - if I wanted to get a smart trainer I would also need to buy a bike also and isn't really something I'm interested in at this stage.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!
Back before I was cycling regularly I was using an M3i to cross train down at the rowing club, and it worked.

One thing I found was that the resistance lever could slip a bit, resulting in the workout getting slightly easier over time; this may have been a consequence of many years of heavy use. However, it didn't slip much.

Paper Tiger
Jun 17, 2007

🖨️🐯torn apart by idle hands

Strumpy posted:

I've been looking at the keiser m3i and it seems to tick a lot of boxes for me (can connect to training apps, has a simple computer but not big 'smart bike' systems). I'm wondering if anyone has any experience with this bike?

I *just* got one of these a few days ago based on a recommendation upthread, and I like it! I'm not a heavy duty indoor bicyclist (yet) so the standard Keiser workout app is enough for me so far, but as you saw it can connect to Zwift and other training apps. And the computer hits the sweet spot, it shows just enough info without being a UX nightmare like a full-on tablet-based system would be.

A couple notes:
--Having a second person help with assembly (if possible) will make it a lot easier.
--When I bought it they included a holiday bundle with a tool set that also helped a lot. It includes a torque wrench!

Also, while I'm recommending things, I bought a couple Lasko blower fans and they're great for keeping cool during a ride. Point one at your back and one at your chest, and you'll sweat just enough to feel like your exercising without turning into a puddle.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Anyone with a smart trainer (Kickr ‘14 here) have this happen? I finished a group ride and left Zwift running to go take care of my dogs and got back on the bike about 15 minutes later. I’m guessing my trainer went to sleep and when I turned the crank it woke up. It shows I dropped 2000w for 3 seconds and then tapered off. The weird thing is I never saw this in Zwift, and there isn’t any section of the Strava ride where I was doing unrealistic speed or power.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man
Nice FTP bump.