Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

Nobody puts Phil in a corner.

crazypeltast52 posted:

Nice fish! Pike are great toothy fish!

I only started fishing last year and this is by far the biggest one I've ever got. I still look back at the photos and can't believe that thing in the waters where we sometimes swim. Absolutely massive.

Just a simple wacky rigged worm to boot as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Sickening posted:

I was going to effort post in my reply but I figured it would hurt more than it would help. A drag on a reel is one of the things that doesn't really change much in functional quality the more expensive you go. Thinking about it that much is a waste of time.

Yes and no. For basic chunkin and winding, yeah, it doesn't matter, set it to your line and go nuts. Once you do some fun finesse/lightweight stuff, drag becomes super important and there is 100% a trend towards smoother/less surging as you go up in price point, but even then it's not super complicated. The only other time you really care about drag is if you're chasing big catfish, stripers or playing in the super thick grass mats in florida or similar.

Woodpile
Mar 30, 2013
I heard somewhere (don't ask, I've forgotten) that you set your drag where your rig falls steadily, not too fast, when you release your bail/bait spool with your rod up at a 45 degree angle.

Sounds odd.

King of Bees
Dec 28, 2012
Gravy Boat 2k
In the surf if i can grab the line in front of the reel and with a little effort start pulling line from the spool im generally satisfied i wont lose a chunker due to snapping the line after the strike. Im also prettygood at adjusting drag during the fight if im into something big.

rap music
Mar 11, 2006

poo poo most people just clamp that drag dial down as tight as it will go and yank the fish out of the water with brute force

titties
May 10, 2012

They're like two suicide notes stuffed into a glitter bra

Woodpile posted:

I heard somewhere (don't ask, I've forgotten) that you set your drag where your rig falls steadily, not too fast, when you release your bail/bait spool with your rod up at a 45 degree angle.

Sounds odd.

That sounds like the method for setting brakes on a baitcaster, but for a spinning reel the only things i ever heard was "don't crank it down all the way" and "back it off some when you store them for the winter"

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

I only use the adjustability of my drag to make catching little fish seem more exciting.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

I'll adjust mine on my spinning gear depending on what exactly I'm throwing. If I'm doing a floating worm or something similar I'll back off on my drag, but not so much that I can't get a good hookset. If I'm throwing small crankbaits or a paddletail, I bump it up a bit.

tesilential
Nov 22, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

fatman1683 posted:

I'm just starting to get into fishing and I'm wondering about the relationship between reel drag weight and line/rod weights.

I understand the principle of drag and how all the different weight ratings interact, but what I haven't found any firm information on is what reel max drag rating I need for a given line/rod strength.

So far I've been sizing the reel to the line and the line to the rod using the Price Is Right method, but I've seen some recommendations that the reel drag should be set for 1/3 of the line or rod rating, whichever is lower. Does that mean that I can get away with using smaller reels effectively, or should I still keep the extra drag capacity to ensure that I can overpower a fish if I need to?

OP, where are you fishing and what are you fishing for?

Theoretically, if your drag is set to 1/3 of line strength, you should never snap your line or pop a knot as the reel will let line out before the breaking strength of line is exceeded. Knots reduce line strength anywhere from 10-50% so the 1/3 rule covers that as well.

Give some more details and we can get more specific.

Woodpile
Mar 30, 2013

titties posted:

That sounds like the method for setting brakes on a baitcaster, but for a spinning reel the only things i ever heard was "don't crank it down all the way" and "back it off some when you store them for the winter"

Yeah, I tried applying it to a spinning reel and knew it wouldn't work. Does ok with a baitcaster, but as I tend to horse my catch in, I set the drag tighter.

Ghostnuke
Sep 21, 2005

Throw this in a pot, add some broth, a potato? Baby you got a stew going!

You'll pretty much need to reset it for each fish. I want it just loose enough that the fish can barely pull line out, but tight enough that I can still pull it in.

DeesGrandpa
Oct 21, 2009

Hello fishing thread, my fishing madness has expanded into ice, or as the cools call it, hardwater. Turns out it's loving rad, and I'm definitely going to get more into it. Caught hella trout the first outing, and a couple salmon this last one.

I started this year with one fly rod. Set up to end it with that same fly rod, three spinning rods of various sizes/actions, a baitcaster, two ice rods, several boxes full of lures/line/tackle, an ice auger, and more beer and nightcrawlers in the fridge than before. Fishing is really my one upside to this year, no idea I'd be so into it.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Yeesh those browns are snakey. All spawned out last month I bet. Nice Kokanee!

crazypeltast52
May 5, 2010

Very nice! Our lakes are just starting to ice up, but soon I’ll be hardwater fishing as well.

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

Hardwater fishing is a loving excellent term for it

Untrustable
Mar 17, 2009

Re: Drag chat:

I set my drag low enough so that I can get a strike, lose the fish, and still be able to say, "ah drat! That thing was pullin' drag! Probably huge!".

Mukulu
Jul 14, 2006

Stop. Drop. Shut 'em down open up shop.

A Pack of Kobolds posted:

Hardwater fishing is a loving excellent term for it

I'm not against the term hardwater, I just prefer saying ice-fishing so much more. For example: I love going ice-fishing.

ThePopeOfFun
Feb 15, 2010

Untrustable posted:

I set my drag low enough so that I can get a strike, lose the fish, and still be able to say, "ah drat! That thing was pullin' drag! Probably huge!".

DeesGrandpa
Oct 21, 2009

Untrustable posted:

This is a good fishing tip

ThePopeOfFun
Feb 15, 2010

WHEW this thing is BURNING line*! drat buddy thought there was only gills** in here

*on my ultralight, 1.5lb test reel slapped to a noodle of a rod
**there are only gills in here

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

ThePopeOfFun posted:

WHEW this thing is BURNING line*! drat buddy thought there was only gills** in here

*on my ultralight, 1.5lb test reel slapped to a noodle of a rod
**there are only gills in here

If you're fishing for pure enjoyment, this is hard to beat honestly

Untrustable
Mar 17, 2009

I'm finishing up work on an Alcedo Micron that I'm gonna run 2 lb. mono on and slap it on a 4.6 foot Berkely. HellaLight™.

Rythe
Jan 21, 2011

I have the next two days off and was hoping to get into some late season crappie but the temp is supposed to be 45 degrees and that might be a bit cold on the kayak. On the other hand I have a bunch of oil from deep frying a turkey and I would hate for that to go to waste and a Christmas fish fry would be wonderful.

Amarcarts
Feb 21, 2007

This looks a lot like suffering.
I've gotten pretty good at bass fishing over the last couple of years. You don't have to break the bank but do yourself a favor and don't buy low-end equipment from Wal-mart.

AK-47
Jul 10, 2001

Hey y'all, checking in from Austin, TX. Its probably been about 15 years since I last went fishing but I got the itch again and was thinking of picking up a Pflueger President XT for some shore bass and pan fishing. Is this a decent choice for someone getting back into things? Should I be looking at a baitcaster? I've only ever used spinning reels in the past. Thanks for any help you can provide.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

A baitcaster is gonna be way too big to do panfishing. You absolutely want a small spinning reel for that kinda work. The pflueger president xt is a perfectly useable reel and would be a good choice. I'd lay hands on one if you can before buying it and see how it feels in your hand. A comfortable reel is an amazing qol thing to have and probably more important to doing well than just about anything else.

ThePopeOfFun
Feb 15, 2010

AK-47 posted:

Hey y'all, checking in from Austin, TX. Its probably been about 15 years since I last went fishing but I got the itch again and was thinking of picking up a Pflueger President XT for some shore bass and pan fishing. Is this a decent choice for someone getting back into things? Should I be looking at a baitcaster? I've only ever used spinning reels in the past. Thanks for any help you can provide.

YES. But get the XT Limited Edition.

Same exact reel, half the price. Some goons here have it or will have it soon.

Untrustable
Mar 17, 2009

Elmnt80 posted:

A baitcaster is gonna be way too big to do panfishing. You absolutely want a small spinning reel for that kinda work. The pflueger president xt is a perfectly useable reel and would be a good choice. I'd lay hands on one if you can before buying it and see how it feels in your hand. A comfortable reel is an amazing qol thing to have and probably more important to doing well than just about anything else.

Panfishing? Lew's makes an excellent spinning reel called the Mr. Crappie Slab Shaker and it's 15 dollars on Amazon. It's a great little reel.

King of Bees
Dec 28, 2012
Gravy Boat 2k
Speaking of panfish, interest check on this tiny St Croix/Shimano travel combo. I got it in an estate sale with a ton of fly gear. I held onto it with the idea of bream or smallies but i just end up using a fly rod anyways. It's several years old but has never been used, literally still has the stickers on and is always stored in the case. Speaking of, Ill throw in this orvis case that fits everything nicely and fits under a car seat or in a pack.

Rod: st croix triumph 5'6" ultra light fast action 4 piece
https://www.tackledirect.com/st-croix-triumph-travel-spinning-rods.html
Reel: shimano sahara 500fd
http://www.fishingcastle.com/products/Shimano-Sahara-FD-Spinning-Reels-.html

Ask 100 plus shipping

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

somebody buy that before I do my family is starving

crazypeltast52
May 5, 2010

Ooh I’ll buy that. Ping me on the discord or send me a PM.

King of Bees
Dec 28, 2012
Gravy Boat 2k
PM sent

rndmnmbr
Jul 3, 2012

Panfish? Never underestimate the utility of an old Zebco 202 on an ultralight rod. Thats something I firmly believed even before my eyes were reopen to spincast reels.

crazypeltast52
May 5, 2010

I need to get a reprint of my fishing license. I lost track of it when I took my fishing gear out of the car and now I can’t seem to find it.

Thankfully it runs though February in my state so I should be able to use it a but during icefishing even if they charge for reprints.

Untrustable
Mar 17, 2009

rndmnmbr posted:

Panfish? Never underestimate the utility of an old Zebco 202 on an ultralight rod. Thats something I firmly believed even before my eyes were reopen to spincast reels.

As thread regulars will tell you, I have never underestimated a Zebco spincast in my life. I own so, so many.

Edit: Also a 33 or even a 404 will do panfish with no issue. For real rear end Zebco connoisseurs, the Omega 144 is king of ultralight Zebco spincasts.

Untrustable fucked around with this message at 08:06 on Dec 14, 2020

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

rndmnmbr posted:

Panfish? ultralight rod.

Ghostnuke
Sep 21, 2005

Throw this in a pot, add some broth, a potato? Baby you got a stew going!

A Pack of Kobolds posted:

Panfish? ANY FISH ultralight rod.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

rndmnmbr posted:

ultralight rod

gamera009
Apr 7, 2005

Anyone able to give me the lowdown on fishing in Tampa? I may be moving there for a job, and I’m coming from the land of fly fishing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

seance snacks
Mar 30, 2007

Earlier this year I started a project to build a sort of "bug out bag" but for fishing adventures, and it was a great decision. Feelin' the itch? Just grab the backpack and hit the road.

I decided to check out one of those telescopic rods, which I'd never seen one in person, but I had seen them one youtube. Apparently they're more popular overseas though?

And I found a telescopic net too which was handy

Last time I went out was the Chesapeake bay in October. Got this (and many more) pretty perch. As well as a juvenile speckled trout. (not actually a trout, I think they're in the drum family)

Now that Winter is here, I've been looking over some places inland to catch some actual trout, which would be a first for me.