Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Hunt11 posted:

Ea a sword used by Gilgamesh in the Fate series.
Doesn’t he have like 100,000 swords?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Samurai Sanders posted:

He has all sorts of weapons but Ea is the one he cares about the most and is the most powerful.

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes

Who's the one sad guy in the bottom left? Also what does that one chinese/japanese banner say? Also, on a more general note, what?

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

It's kind of funny that the chuds don't even see themselves as space marines, just nameless guardsmen intended to be used for cannon fodder and sometimes sandbags. Great self esteem guys

E. Eh second look i guess that could be power armor, but everything else is off.

Ashsaber
Oct 24, 2010

Deploying Swordbreakers!
College Slice

Samurai Sanders posted:

Short version: he has all the wealth in the world, including all the swords. But Ea is the one that can kill everything on earth/possibly just destroy earth. So of course that's the one thing, out of his countless options, that Trump uses.

Raised By Birds
May 5, 2013

Angepain posted:

Also what does that one chinese/japanese banner say?

I tried copying the kanji into google translate. It's definitely Chinese, but I'm still a bit befuddled.

大美兴! 川普王!
Dà měi xìng! Chuān pǔ wáng!
Dameixing! King Trump!

I can't get any sense of what 大美兴 means though. Might be that they're used for their sounds rather than their own meaning. Image searching the phrase turns up a lot of meme-y looking pictures of Trump, I want to say mostly from 2016.

wizzardstaff
Apr 6, 2018

Zorch! Splat! Pow!

Raised By Birds posted:

I tried copying the kanji into google translate. It's definitely Chinese, but I'm still a bit befuddled.

大美兴! 川普王!
Dà měi xìng! Chuān pǔ wáng!
Dameixing! King Trump!

I can't get any sense of what 大美兴 means though. Might be that they're used for their sounds rather than their own meaning. Image searching the phrase turns up a lot of meme-y looking pictures of Trump, I want to say mostly from 2016.

Drudging up memories of decade-old Mandarin classes and filling in the blanks from context, I'd guess the first part is supposed to be "Make America Great".

Lychnis
Jul 22, 2015

Flowers are beautiful, and smell nice.

Lychnis posted:

Hmmm. Well, I'm on the Nib's mailing list, as is one of my housemates, and no Funny Times freebies have shown up in our mailbox.

I take it back! Turns out we did get one, it just disappeared into a housemate's room before I spotted it. Looks like the Nib may indeed have passed on our address.

:shakes fist: BORS!

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

CuddleCryptid posted:

It's kind of funny that the chuds don't even see themselves as space marines, just nameless guardsmen intended to be used for cannon fodder and sometimes sandbags. Great self esteem guys

E. Eh second look i guess that could be power armor, but everything else is off.

I think they're guardsmen. The tanks look like Leman Russ variants (the main gun looks more like a battle tank), and the shoulderpads aren't nearly large enough for space marine power armor. It does look like they're holding bolters, but the scale of them is way too dinky for an actual bolter (or a space marine in general), so I'm leaning towards guardsmen with funky looking autoguns.

There's also a commissar up top near Trump. We can only hope that he fails a leadership check.

Apple Pie Hubbub
Feb 14, 2012

Take that, you greedy jerk!

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
Am I a manipulative abuser in real life, or do I just roleplay one on the Internet for fun? You decide!

Raised By Birds
May 5, 2013

Oh god, is Prickly City going to start actually saying things again?

The Artificial Kid
Feb 22, 2002
Plibble

ryde posted:

It’s like a reverse pigeon hole principle. The pigeonhole principle says if you have some discrete system with x variations and you take y observations where x < y then you’ll get duplicates. In the case of Yu GI Oh cards if you have 200 cards and open 400 cards worth of packs then you’ll get duplicates.

So then he’s reversing this and saying that since we dig up multiple fossils for the same species instead of different fossils every time, we must be observing a discrete system. And if it’s a discrete system then evolution is disproven because evolution is continuous.

There’s many reasons why this argument is bad. The main one that comes to mind is that fossils just don’t happen and typically have some sort of event that causes a skeleton to be fossilized. So while the underlying evolution pattern may be continuous, the observations we have are discretized because the natural phenomena that allow us to make the observation causes that discretization. I’m sure there’s more (ie I recall that punctuated evolution was the current prevailing theory but don’t have background to know if that’s true).
I apologise if this is an unapproved derail or anything, I'm catching up, but this is the fourth or fifth response I've read that I think mischaracterises his (deeply flawed) argument.

What he's saying is not that every exemplar should be a little different, but that given there are millions of species on earth now, it's weird that with only 250,000 fossil species identified from all of previous time we would have more than one t-rex, but no representative of one of the other millions of species that must surely have existed before now. Basically the argument is that the fossil record suggests far less total past biodiversity than we would expect from hundreds of millions of years of evolution (because if there were a lot more species out there to be discovered, why are we not finding them before we find multiples of the ones we've already got).

Obvious and immediate (but probably not all the) flaws with this argument, some of which have already been pointed out against the slightly mischaracterised version of the argument:

- I have no idea if that 250,000 figure is correct
- As others have said, species are kind of made up (for sexual species they're supposed to be only able to breed with each other, but for some "species" that's only true because they happen to be geographically separated from related animals that look different enough to us to be a "different species")
- As others have said, just because two fragmentary skeletons look like the same species to us, doesn't mean we'd think that if we met the living animals. Who is to say what is normal anatomical variation by individual, by age, by sex etc and what marks a radically different animal? Maybe scaly t-rexes and feathery t-rexes both existed? :iiam:
- There might be really good reasons why we have multiples of some species and none of others. Particular times and places are more likely to produce discernible fossils
- Really how well can you tell one tiny shellfish from another by looking at a rock speckled with all their imprints?

The Artificial Kid fucked around with this message at 08:04 on Nov 24, 2020

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

This is just Fishman saying "Cultural Bolsheviks are coming for your family", right? Is there some nuance here?

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

The Artificial Kid posted:

plenty of good stuff
The other super obvious one that the animals that represent the overwhelming majority of biodiversity on earth, insects and small of soft-bodied ocean life, don't fossilize well. There is no reason to believe that would be any different in earlier eras.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

This is just Fishman saying "Cultural Bolsheviks are coming for your family", right? Is there some nuance here?

No he's complaining that businesses are bringing POLITICS where they're not wanted.

The Artificial Kid
Feb 22, 2002
Plibble

Terrible Opinions posted:

The other super obvious one that the animals that represent the overwhelming majority of biodiversity on earth, insects and small of soft-bodied ocean life, don't fossilize well. There is no reason to believe that would be any different in earlier eras.

Yeah it's a bit like shining a torch into your backyard at night and saying "weird that only animals with retroreflective eyes exist in the world, seems like biology might all be bullshit!".

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
I feel like a lot of Fishman’s cartoons about social justice being crammed down your throat or whatever are set an a restaurant. Is there some reason he keeps picking restaurants?

Libra
Jan 5, 2011

Restaurants like to hang up signs that say thing like "bigotry is not tolerated here" and that makes certain people angry now I think?

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/LondonNeolibs/status/1330539666404220928

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Libra posted:

Restaurants like to hang up signs that say thing like "bigotry is not tolerated here" and that makes certain people angry now I think?

I guess not being openly racist/sexist/homophobic/transphobic/terrible for like an hour or two is just way too much to ask.

Crunch Buttsteak
Feb 26, 2007

You think reality is a circle of salt around my brain keeping witches out?
Fishman seems to be like the type of modern conservative who sees a tiny gay pride flag in a mug full of pens at a restaurant, and then for the next week feels the need to scoff and guffaw about how things are so PC nowadays, and could talk your ear off about how you couldn't play Blazing Saddles on TV today, BECAUSE PEOPLE ARE JUST TOO EASILY OFFENDED NOW

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

I guess not being openly racist/sexist/homophobic/transphobic/terrible for like an hour or two is just way too much to ask.
Or just find a restaurant in town run by right wing assholes. It couldn’t be that hard, right?

Lodin
Jul 31, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

:sickos:

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.
Excuse me, I am a white woman. I don't voluntarily care about justice.

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Maybe I'll go where I can see stars
Hm, they look like Spaceballs helmets, but painted red.

Tip... landlord? Is this something people in some countries really do? :lol:

SerialKilldeer
Apr 25, 2014

I :love: JIO

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.

Dwesa posted:

Tip... landlord? Is this something people in some countries really do? :lol:

Parody account. Protip, almost no one calls themselves "neoliberal", it's primarily a term of abuse and has been for at least more than a decade now.

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer

Discendo Vox posted:

Parody account. Protip, almost no one calls themselves "neoliberal", it's primarily a term of abuse and has been for at least more than a decade now.

https://neoliberalproject.org/

That's what I thought at first, but their website seems pretty serious.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

CuddleCryptid posted:

The Imperial Guard didn't exist during the great crusade. It was the Imperial Army.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

JustaDamnFool posted:

Having Trumo represented as an incompetent fascist who hates his sons is fairly on point.

He conquered most of the galaxy and forged an evil Empire that has lasted 10,000 years. An incompetent father, sure, but I wouldn't call him an incompetent fascist.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

The Artificial Kid posted:

- I have no idea if that 250,000 figure is correct
- As others have said, species are kind of made up (for sexual species they're supposed to be only able to breed with each other, but for some "species" that's only true because they happen to be geographically separated from related animals that look different enough to us to be a "different species")
- As others have said, just because two fragmentary skeletons look like the same species to us, doesn't mean we'd think that if we met the living animals. Who is to say what is normal anatomical variation by individual, by age, by sex etc and what marks a radically different animal? Maybe scaly t-rexes and feathery t-rexes both existed? :iiam:
- There might be really good reasons why we have multiples of some species and none of others. Particular times and places are more likely to produce discernible fossils
- Really how well can you tell one tiny shellfish from another by looking at a rock speckled with all their imprints?

We have a thing called DNA analysis these days. We know which animals are mating with who, and we can even analysis fossils as old as 700,000 years old to see who was mating with who in the past.

Charlz Guybon fucked around with this message at 07:55 on Nov 25, 2020

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

"Look, no one's forcing you to eat at this restaurant."

Rincewinds
Jul 30, 2014

MEAT IS MEAT

There were a bunch of such ma(n)ga inspired posters in US POL during the election in 2016, with Trump being Imperial Guard and Hillary with Chaos Space Marines.

Edit:

Rincewinds fucked around with this message at 11:31 on Nov 24, 2020

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

Rincewinds posted:

There were a bunch of such ma(n)ga inspired posters in US POL during the election in 2016, with Trump being Imperial Guard and Hillary with Chaos Space Marines.

Edit:

These are charming in a way that none of the usual suspects here can produce.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
I wonder, has "they keep shoving it down our throats" been associated with any movement that was on the right side of history, ever? All that comes to mind with that phrase is folks who are angry that gay or black or trans people even exist, or seeing interracial marriage, or desegregation, or any number of things. It's pretty much always, in my experience, people pretending they've already given enough leeway and "shoving it down our throats" means "not completely ignoring they exist at all times".
Maybe I'm wrong, but it's such a loving war cry from these sorts of people throughout the years.

So, because you called it bullshit then, you'll call it bullshit now too, right?
Unlike these liberals, you'll be consistent, right? That's your message, surely.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

Vib Rib posted:

I wonder, has "they keep shoving it down our throats" been associated with any movement that was on the right side of history, ever? All that comes to mind with that phrase is folks who are angry that gay or black or trans people even exist, or seeing interracial marriage, or desegregation, or any number of things. It's pretty much always, in my experience, people pretending they've already given enough leeway and "shoving it down our throats" means "not completely ignoring they exist at all times".
Well there's the old "it's fine to have a dick or a religion, just don't shove it down kids' throats" bit

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Violence has its own economy, therefore be thoughtful and precise in your investment

Rincewinds posted:

Edit:

Death to the False Emperor!

Universal healthcare for the healthcare god!

All is- free collage?!

I don't know, I'm not quite current in my warhams.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hitler B. Natural
Feb 11, 2014

Panty Saluter posted:

drat, Pat didn't have to go that hard :popeye:

That's why he's a Local Hero