Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

torgo posted:

I really liked Incrementreeverse. It was really linear, but gave the illusion of more depth. I think I prefer that to the games that give you tons of options, but there is only one very specific(and possibly counter-intuitive) way of getting real progress and you have to check the wiki/join a discord to find it.

I finally got to Capsules, but gently caress that new reset and Milestone. goddamn

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
Someone else in NGU's discord posted about the newest idle game from the dev that made Idle Dice, Idle Superpowers. Currently a little light on story, you are some nearly naked fellow who starts beating up other thugs and stumbles on a gem that gives you a Superpower (randomized pick from an unlockable list). You get defeated by another entirely unfair superpower villain which brings in the time travel aspect for prestiging. And then in a slight pivot every normal person now has a random superpower after a few hundred levels. Not incredible staying power since it doesn't change the way you play significantly, but I have been having fun maintaining a build that essentially tries to kill itself immediately so I blow up in their face for dumb amounts of unavoidable damage.

Maybe you'll enjoy it too.

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

I've done 4-5 species in Evolve and I feel like my progress is grinding to a halt- I'm already hitting diminishing returns after a few hundred plasmids, but I'm nowhere near hitting the resource caps I need to advance out of the early solar system. Is this where I waste months of my time manually evolving a shitzillion species to slowly grind up plasmids, or is there a paradigm shift/obvious mechanic I'm missing?

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.
You've been spending your plasmids on upgrades, right? Though admittedly it has been a good while since I've tinkered with Evolve I remember it not taking too many nukings before the first push to space.

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

Kin posted:

Did it take you ages to get it? I've had the game active for the better part of 3+ full days now since maxing out the standard exile gear and still no drop of the secret item which in turn unlocks that other gear piece to drop. That's why I'm not sure if the wiki's right or if I'm missing a step.

I feel like it did take forever. It's been awhile but it might've taken me longer to get the actual drop afterwards because at least your drop chance equipment can help with that one.

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

Yeah, I spent around 400 on the low-hanging fruit and kept a hundred or so in reserve. I'll probably try a longer space push next time- I keep getting to elerium (I think it's called) mining, 4 or 5 expeditions out from the starting planet, look at how long it'll take to grind out enough resources to upgrade to the next tier, and MAD for more plasmids instead.

Bedurndurn
Dec 4, 2008

Sage Grimm posted:

Someone else in NGU's discord posted about the newest idle game from the dev that made Idle Dice, Idle Superpowers. Currently a little light on story, you are some nearly naked fellow who starts beating up other thugs and stumbles on a gem that gives you a Superpower (randomized pick from an unlockable list). You get defeated by another entirely unfair superpower villain which brings in the time travel aspect for prestiging. And then in a slight pivot every normal person now has a random superpower after a few hundred levels. Not incredible staying power since it doesn't change the way you play significantly, but I have been having fun maintaining a build that essentially tries to kill itself immediately so I blow up in their face for dumb amounts of unavoidable damage.

Maybe you'll enjoy it too.

It really sucks if your first power or two is not really useful. When I rolled super strength and speed, I hit the prestige mechanic in like 30-40 minutes. When the best thing I got was super vitality, I came back 4 hours later and it still hadn't reached the second power unlock.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.

Omi no Kami posted:

Yeah, I spent around 400 on the low-hanging fruit and kept a hundred or so in reserve. I'll probably try a longer space push next time- I keep getting to elerium (I think it's called) mining, 4 or 5 expeditions out from the starting planet, look at how long it'll take to grind out enough resources to upgrade to the next tier, and MAD for more plasmids instead.

If you've got the entire line that upgrades storage and some of the reduced cost line then trying for a space run should be fine, imo. It's what I remember, at least.

E: Ants, I believe, were also quite strong with the push with their scaling bonuses. That and Ents.

Rynoto fucked around with this message at 09:51 on Nov 24, 2020

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

Rynoto posted:

If you've got the entire line that upgrades storage and some of the reduced cost line then trying for a space run should be fine, imo. It's what I remember, at least.

E: Ants, I believe, were also quite strong with the push with their scaling bonuses. That and Ents.

Hmkay cool, thanks for the tips! Speaking of species, are there any really obvious ones to prioritize besides ants/ents? I had good luck with kobolds for the extra storage capacity, but otherwise I mostly just choose random evolutions based on what sounds fun.

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

Heed my words and become a master of the Heart (of Thorns).

Xelkelvos posted:

I finally got to Capsules, but gently caress that new reset and Milestone. goddamn

I gave up on the neutrino node. Literally 2 days of occasionally clicking an upgrade, and meanwhile nothing happening and no decisions to be made.

Prestige Tree had its faults but there was always lots to do if you wanted there to be. Incrementverse or whatever it is called checks all the boxes for grognard gaming and unfun features.

This isn't half bad. Its a clicker heroes clone, so a bit of a regression compared to where the genre is now, but the superpowers thing is original and fun. There are quite a lot of them and some are quite wacky so once you have a handful gameplay (at least the visual bit) will diverge from cliker heroes. At the core the whole gameplay is "kill 10 dudes per stage, kill a boss every 10 stages, upgrade your dude" though.
EDIT: There is a huge bug though, after the first prestige you don't get to pick a superpower at level 31, so progress grinds to a halt at around level 35.

Ineptitude fucked around with this message at 13:26 on Nov 24, 2020

Hryme
Nov 4, 2009
Yes after talking to timebro the story step you are supposed to get at 31 to unlock your second power disappears. Game is broken until that is fixed.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Not exactly, since in that timeline you're deliberately pursuing the guy bringing another gem to the not-yet-overpowered boss instead of bumbling around having fun with your newfound abilities. You'll get the second gem at level 50 instead, which is more in-line with when you'll get other gems.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

I agree that the powers seem almost comically unbalanced. Some of them suck extremely hard while others basically make you a god.

Dragongem
Nov 9, 2009

Heroes of the Storm
Goon Tournament Champion
I feel like I'm stuck on the planks/goblins/carrots with all 4 of my characters. My mage is my highest (30) with pretty solid gear but I don't kill planks very fast. I have a warrior and 2 archers in the rear, slightly behind. I've been upgrading stamps and trying to get the iron gear but I don't know if that will buff my damage enough. Is this a case of "I need the super optimal build to actually kill things quickly" issue? I haven't really looked anything up.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Infinity Gaia posted:

I agree that the powers seem almost comically unbalanced. Some of them suck extremely hard while others basically make you a god.

And unfortunately once you reached "everyone has a random superpower" levels the next step of challenge is "everyone has two! random superpowers." Mind you I'm only here because of a comically unbalanced superpower radiation body running in Frugal challenge that runs off of one secondary stat.

There was a point where the generation code seemingly broke and gave me and enemies access to locked choices. I came back overnight to find all my superpowers erased by one of them. Another gave me the ability to steal them from enemies at 1% chance when they died.

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

Dragongem posted:

I feel like I'm stuck on the planks/goblins/carrots with all 4 of my characters. My mage is my highest (30) with pretty solid gear but I don't kill planks very fast. I have a warrior and 2 archers in the rear, slightly behind. I've been upgrading stamps and trying to get the iron gear but I don't know if that will buff my damage enough. Is this a case of "I need the super optimal build to actually kill things quickly" issue? I haven't really looked anything up.

Your build could very well be the problem. You don't need a 100% maximized build, but main stat is famously a trap option for damage builds.

Try this: put points into Sharpened Axe until probably about 60-80 points. Then get points into Overclocked Energy (mage specific) and Gilded Sword. You want more points in Overclocked Energy than Gilded Sword, but both are worthwhile. Put points in your secondary stat as needed for accuracy. Don't put any talent points towards main stat. For Warrior you want to put points in Meat Shank instead of Overclocked Energy, but it's considerably weaker and you can stop at around 30 points or so. Archer gets neither of those and the poor guy has to put all those points into Gilded Sword instead. Don't worry, there's a movespeed build that gets him up to higher viable damage, but not until much later.

For your second tab, you pretty much want 1 in all your active skills, and the rest of your points in the dead center skill (the one that increases the effects of weapon power).

Again, there's a bit more nuance to builds than that, but that's a pretty cookie cutter build that should get you to subclass pretty easily.

Arzaac fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Nov 24, 2020

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

Is 100% into the center skill on the class tree better than the warrior/archer double hit skills? Seems like double damage would be pretty good.

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

It's entirely an active/idle playstyle thing, as those skills don't affect your afk gains.

That being said, I do usually like to put 20-30 points in that skill, as after that diminishing returns start to hit pretty hard.

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

Heed my words and become a master of the Heart (of Thorns).

Sage Grimm posted:

Not exactly, since in that timeline you're deliberately pursuing the guy bringing another gem to the not-yet-overpowered boss instead of bumbling around having fun with your newfound abilities. You'll get the second gem at level 50 instead, which is more in-line with when you'll get other gems.

While its fine that you get the second power at 51 for story reasons it should not take longer to get there. How can you defend that.

Getting to 71 the first time took about an hour and a half, getting to 51 the second time took 5 hours. Thats just bad design.

I guess a large part of the problem is the absurd imbalance between the different superpowers.
I just got one that took my damage from ~500ish to ~50k per hit. The other choice was 20% chance of an extra attack. Like thats 500 magnitudes apart in power.

Beasteh
Feb 12, 2012

I'M QUESTIONING MY EXISTENCE AND THIS IDIOT JUST WANTS TO PEE OFF A WALL

i'm not sure if it's intended but the exp/gold gain while tabbed out in idle superheroes is insanely out of whack and you get far more tabbed out doing something else than actively watching the game window

dipple
Oct 22, 2008
I actually really like that some runs I roll Hulk and some runs I roll Hawkeye.

After the first run the reset button unlocks at 21, I just mash reset early if I rolled too poorly.

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

Arzaac posted:

Your build could very well be the problem. You don't need a 100% maximized build, but main stat is famously a trap option for damage builds.

Try this: put points into Sharpened Axe until probably about 60-80 points. Then get points into Power Overwhelming (mage specific) and Gilded Sword. You want more points in Power Overwhelming than Gilded Sword, but both are worthwhile. Put points in your secondary stat as needed for accuracy. Don't put any talent points towards main stat. For Warrior you want to put points in Meat Shank instead of Power Overwhelming, but it's considerably weaker and you can stop at around 30 points or so. Archer gets neither of those and the poor guy has to put all those points into Gilded Sword instead. Don't worry, there's a movespeed build that gets him up to higher viable damage, but not until much later.

For your second tab, you pretty much want 1 in all your active skills, and the rest of your points in the dead center skill (the one that increases the effects of weapon power).

Again, there's a bit more nuance to builds than that, but that's a pretty cookie cutter build that should get you to subclass pretty easily.

Do you mean Overclocked Energy here?

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

Klungar posted:

Do you mean Overclocked Energy here?

...Yes, yes I do. Not sure how I got those two confused, honestly.

KazigluBey
Oct 30, 2011

boner

Ineptitude posted:

I just got one that took my damage from ~500ish to ~50k per hit. The other choice was 20% chance of an extra attack. Like thats 500 magnitudes apart in power.

A number of powers are only good (and potentially INSANE) combined with others. +Accuracy stuff is basically worthless... Until you get that Superpower that adds x500 (or however much it is) of Accuracy into Min Damage. Suddenly rolling for every +Accuracy power becomes clutch.

I don't get this impulse (a you see it a lot in discussions about Roguelites) to say that every new entry in a genera has to push it forward. Sometimes making a callback, no matter how flawed, is fine too.

I'm enjoying my time with it even if I think I'll put it down much sooner than I did other Idle games. :shrug:

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

In my further travails of crafting the Wode Pants, I finally got the Snake and Mimic Inventory drops, loaded my inventory up with 10 Torn Jeans, 4 stacks of Planks, and 9 stacks of Bleach Logs, walked over to the anvil, hit craft, aaaaaaand...

Found out that you apparently need a free inventory slot for a crafted item to go in, even if crafting that item will free up every slot in your inventory. Meaning I'm still one slot short.

Time to break out the credit card :negative:

Big Mad Drongo
Nov 10, 2006

Arzaac posted:

Try this: put points into Sharpened Axe until probably about 60-80 points. Then get points into Overclocked Energy (mage specific) and Gilded Sword. You want more points in Overclocked Energy than Gilded Sword, but both are worthwhile. Put points in your secondary stat as needed for accuracy. Don't put any talent points towards main stat. For Warrior you want to put points in Meat Shank instead of Overclocked Energy, but it's considerably weaker and you can stop at around 30 points or so. Archer gets neither of those and the poor guy has to put all those points into Gilded Sword instead. Don't worry, there's a movespeed build that gets him up to higher viable damage, but not until much later.

Where do you get accuracy from? My mage build more or less looks like this and he's sitting at 78 accuracy at level 31, which is tanking my ability to kill planks.

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Big Mad Drongo posted:

Where do you get accuracy from? My mage build more or less looks like this and he's sitting at 78 accuracy at level 31, which is tanking my ability to kill planks.

Mage gets Accuracy from AGI, Warrior from WIS, Archer from STR. It's in the tooltip if you hover over those main stat talents.

Big Mad Drongo
Nov 10, 2006

Klungar posted:

Mage gets Accuracy from AGI, Warrior from WIS, Archer from STR. It's in the tooltip if you hover over those main stat talents.

Oh, I missed that part of the post, derp. :downs:

For some reason I thought you would get enough from secondary stats from gear, guess I just need to respec.

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

Accuracy is primarily built through your secondary stat. There's a tooltip that pops up when you hover over any of the base stat talents, but for brevity's sake it's Strength for Archers, Agility for Mages, Wisdom for Warriors, and Luck for Beginners. Each point in your secondary stat is worth ~3 accuracy. It's the reason why secondary stat is frequently better to get on talents and equipment than your main stat, paradoxically.

Outside of just getting it through talent points or equipment, there's the accuracy stamp, and when you unlock alchemy there are main stat bubbles you can upgrade to get yourself some extra accuracy. There's also an upgradable alchemy vial that can increase accuracy as well. There are also main stat stamps, but I really don't know how you get those; I only have the STR one and I really don't remember where I got it.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
Picked back up evolve because of the chat about it and: Has anyone else had a problem with the scripting edition absolutely refusing to leave craftsmen assigned? No matter what settings I change it's just forcing me to turn it off as even with capped stone/wood it sits just pouring more workers into them. It required also toggling the autocraft

Rynoto fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Nov 24, 2020

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungar posted:

In my further travails of crafting the Wode Pants, I finally got the Snake and Mimic Inventory drops, loaded my inventory up with 10 Torn Jeans, 4 stacks of Planks, and 9 stacks of Bleach Logs, walked over to the anvil, hit craft, aaaaaaand...

Found out that you apparently need a free inventory slot for a crafted item to go in, even if crafting that item will free up every slot in your inventory. Meaning I'm still one slot short.

Time to break out the credit card :negative:

My bank account was saved by finally crafting the Tupacband and getting the Choppin' Bag Stamp, which let me reduce the number of Bleach Log stacks from 9 to 8. They are beautiful <3

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Ineptitude posted:

I gave up on the neutrino node. Literally 2 days of occasionally clicking an upgrade, and meanwhile nothing happening and no decisions to be made.

Prestige Tree had its faults but there was always lots to do if you wanted there to be. Incrementverse or whatever it is called checks all the boxes for grognard gaming and unfun features.

Incrementiverse runs extremely slowly if not a focus window. Ostensibly, you'd close it and then run offline to accrue, but the offline timer runs way to fast to actually get anything more than maybe a few purchasables or an upgrade.

SynthesisAlpha
Jun 19, 2007
Cyber-Monocle sporting Space Billionaire

Xelkelvos posted:

Incrementiverse runs extremely slowly if not a focus window. Ostensibly, you'd close it and then run offline to accrue, but the offline timer runs way to fast to actually get anything more than maybe a few purchasables or an upgrade.

Its a bad incremental because there are effectively zero decisions to make. Buy anything when it's available, that's it, reset when you can. If you don't click an upgrade when it lights up, nothing will happen until you do.

Prestige tree was cool because it branched, you would pick an upgrade type and the other ones went up in cost which effectively locked them until you progressed the one you chose. It still wasn't super deep but it felt neat to make a choice and see how it the new layer worked. Even then certain layers had decisions like the space layer having a building limit.

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Eat your hamburgers, Apollo.
Pillbug
Idle Superpowers is pretty neat, but I think hitting the point of like 'well gotta hit lvl 70 over and over' is killing my interest pretty fast.

ScottyJSno
Aug 16, 2010

日本が大好きです!
Synergism

So ah auto Ascends don't work offline huh?

Well there goes 15hrs I could have been farming for a research, or something.

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?
What % should you start with in Wishes once you unlock them? I've been putting 25% of my resources in and it seems okay but I'm wondering if I even need to commit that much.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Falcon2001 posted:

Idle Superpowers is pretty neat, but I think hitting the point of like 'well gotta hit lvl 70 over and over' is killing my interest pretty fast.

It was okay. I like the idea of unlocking new powerups from achievements, and that they all have very different effects. Reminiscent of the gods from Clicker Heroes.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

Wow it's taking awhile to kill these crabs to unlock the secondary class. I can't imagine how painful that'd be at 500. KNowing that I can just share them afterwards is making it easier though since basically all of my characters are waiting on that second class at this point.

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
I got my Wode pants today as well, they're pretty rad. Though I'm kind of running out of fun content to push for, currently grinding anvil tab 2

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

yeah I'm really enjoying the game actually except I'm looking at how much content there currently is and I'm a bit worried about hitting a wall where I wait for updates, which is never fun in an idle game