Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

by Pragmatica

Animal-Mother posted:

You know how sometimes you'll be reading a book and the author will describe the appearance of a character and you just decide, "No, he doesn't look like that." That's how I feel about Kim's voice. He doesn't sound like that and you can't make me think he does. :colbert:

Appalling opinion

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:
Do not speak ill of Kim ITT.

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.
i thought basically all the voice acting was fine and it was really good that the game had it

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Vegetable posted:

It is a white guy voicing an Asian dude so you’re right there

Kim's only a quarter Seolite and identifies as Revochalian :colbert:

Roctavian
Feb 23, 2011

and Measurehead doesn't even have a Semenese accent

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

is it possible to not get hit by ruby's soundwave thing, maybe if you don't open the loud door to let kim in?

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Gay Rat Wedding posted:

is it possible to not get hit by ruby's soundwave thing, maybe if you don't open the loud door to let kim in?

If you don't let Kim in you insta die and the game over screen makes fun of you for not bringing Kim in

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

Mae posted:

Balcony smoker man is the best VA in the game because that’s just what Virgil sounds like

I don't recall which episode it is, but is the one that they talk about Disco after wiping the floor with awards and going from the way Virgil and Menaker talk about it, they were kinda coy about the work they put in afterwards. They joked about phoning it purposefully while Matt and Felix actually put some effort (of the chapo characters Titus is the best voiced imo)

(Dasha doesn't count because she is a trained actress lol)

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

dead gay comedy forums posted:

Matt and Felix actually put some effort (of the chapo characters Titus is the best voiced imo)

It is extremely funny that a character voiced by Matt Christman shouts "protect the cop!" unironically

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

more evidence, as if any was needed, that the protagonist's official name is The Cop

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.
Never gently caress with Kim(mo[thy]) Kitsuragi.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

imhotep
Nov 16, 2009

REDBAR INTENSIFIES
I can’t imagine playing the game with the dialogue audio turned off, if only for Kim’s voice actor and Measurehead.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Imhotep posted:

I can’t imagine playing the game with the dialogue audio turned off, if only for Kim’s voice actor and Measurehead.

Yeah have kids. I haven’t had game audio for like seven years now. And nothing that cannot paused indefinitely.

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.
at least for DE, hearing what each person sounded like made me connect with them a lot more. not everything needs to be acted but just bits and pieces, maybe across different emotions, is perfect

imhotep
Nov 16, 2009

REDBAR INTENSIFIES

Bar Ran Dun posted:

Yeah have kids. I haven’t had game audio for like seven years now. And nothing that cannot paused indefinitely.

No music either?? Insane

Vagabong
Mar 2, 2019
At least listen to the soundtrack when you can. Its so good.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule
That mournful muted trumpet that plays outside the Whirling is one of my favorite pieces of game music

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

Playing this game without audio is a drat shame.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Pattonesque posted:

That mournful muted trumpet that plays outside the Whirling is one of my favorite pieces of game music

I kept going back to try and fix the sink/get into the back/talk to people and let me tell you, having that trumpet sound every time you walked into the square had me a bit :shepface: by the time I finished the game

Case in point:

thecluckmeme posted:

I think my biggest takeaway from this game is the song that plays outside the Whirling in Rags, because I got very lost on what to do and kept going in and out of the building

BAH DA NAAAAHHHHH
BAH DAH NAA NAHHHHH

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

the climactic tribunal theme is a god drat banger

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

That whole goddamn scene is perfect.

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF
You can buy the soundtrack here: https://britishseapower.bandcamp.com/album/disco-elysium

British Sea Power is a good band please support them :)

Vagabong
Mar 2, 2019
I'm not entirely sure why, but Kim praying and making the 1 in a million shot had me tearing up. The whole sequence is terriyfying and beautiful

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Pattonesque posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8MqMYVCJZaA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Psy00POSQI

Lasting Damage
Feb 26, 2006

Fallen Rib
I could listen to Precinct 41 Major Crime Unit forever.

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

JustaDamnFool posted:

I'm not entirely sure why, but Kim praying and making the 1 in a million shot had me tearing up. The whole sequence is terriyfying and beautiful

it's because it's a powerful scene op

also in all seriousness part of why that scene pays off so hard is the foreshadowing. kim's status as a dang ol' binoclard with bad vision comes up multiple times - peering into abandoned buildings on the coast, or mentioning that he passes his shooting exams 7 out of 10 after failing to shoot down the corpse. suddenly over the course of a few very tense minutes (and god it's amazing that they build the tension in a situation with absolutely no real-life time pressure) you're thinking about little throwaway lines like that. whole game's full of poo poo like that and it owns

hell fuckin yeah dude. someone who knows more about music than me (ie. pretty much anything) could probably comment on its use of, uh, motifs and stuff from other parts of the soundtrack like the tribunal theme

World War Mammories fucked around with this message at 20:18 on Nov 24, 2020

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Just found out that Disco Elysium was mostly funded by Margus Linnamäe, an insanely wealthy Estonian venture capitalist and business magnate. Flipped privatized Soviet-era companies for a big profit, invests in just about every thing these days and parks his money in offshore companies. And now he owns the country's largest newspaper with which he sways national politics towards nationalist and conservative views.

I guess no game gets made as independently as Stardew Valley these days, but there's certainly some irony that such a game gets funded by... such a person.

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.

Vegetable posted:

Just found out that Disco Elysium was mostly funded by Margus Linnamäe, an insanely wealthy Estonian venture capitalist and business magnate. Flipped privatized Soviet-era companies for a big profit, invests in just about every thing these days and parks his money in offshore companies. And now he owns the country's largest newspaper with which he sways national politics towards nationalist and conservative views.

I guess no game gets made as independently as Stardew Valley these days, but there's certainly some irony that such a game gets funded by... such a person.

Inspiration of the mega rich light bending guy

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

Vegetable posted:

the last capitalist will sell us the rope which we'll use to hang him etc etc etc

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

EorayMel posted:

Inspiration of the mega rich light bending guy

that character invested in fortress accident, the name of the in-game failed RPG company, and of course zaum has previously used the name Fortress Occident, so... yeah, actually, he probably is

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

A fitting sponsor for the winner of the prestigious Subway Freshest Game award

Kobal2
Apr 29, 2019

GlyphGryph posted:

Some skills, like Rhetoric and electrochemistry, are probably mechanically detrimental more often than not.

They are still very desirable and awesome though. And most of their drawbacks can be ignored by just not listening to them (but you should listen to them anyway sometimes)

From what I could tell, the main downside of super high Encyclopedia is it prints out wikipedia-length articles about EVERY. LITTLE. THING.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Kobal2 posted:

From what I could tell, the main downside of super high Encyclopedia is it prints out wikipedia-length articles about EVERY. LITTLE. THING.

I'm not seeing the downside?

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

multijoe posted:

Encyclopedia is flavor country.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

multijoe posted:

A funny thing is that there is an actual downside - the more text you get, the longer conversations take (because every line has a time value associated). So by being a massive nerd you waste more of your day just thinking about trivia than actually accomplishing anything.

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

Kobal2 posted:

and i'm absolutely here for it op

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

The Cheshire Cat posted:

A funny thing is that there is an actual downside - the more text you get, the longer conversations take (because every line has a time value associated). So by being a massive nerd you waste more of your day just thinking about trivia than actually accomplishing anything.

lol okay that's pretty good actually, every conversation is just cut up with long pauses of Harry thinking about Contact Mike for half a minute

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

Yeah my encyclopedia playthrough took way more days in game and it ruled. This world owns.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
I did one of those max stat chest runs and it still only took about 4 or 5 days but yeah, Harry just spaced out for like ten minutes at a time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

christmas boots posted:

I did one of those max stat chest runs and it still only took about 4 or 5 days but yeah, Harry just spaced out for like ten minutes at a time

Hmm, well maybe that explains this Simpsons scene? Homer might just have high Volition and Authority or something, which is why his internal conversation has him spaced out for a few hours :v: