Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
El Paso had to hire a bunch more refrigerated trucks to store the dead, plus they also rented a refrigerated warehouse
https://twitter.com/KeenanKFOX_CBS/status/1331083224207007746

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

breadshaped
Apr 1, 2010

Soiled Meat

Rozzbot posted:

I got married over the weekend. We got 100 of our closest friends and family together and all got drunk as poo poo, it owned lol

Congrats on getting married :)

and that you live in a place that it's possible to safely do that

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Let's cuddle. :3:
germany's new deaths per day have surpassed the first wave's

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Thread on the impact of schools on covid spread: https://twitter.com/dgurdasani1/status/1330445290797756418

Hardawn
Mar 15, 2004

Don't look at the sun, but rather what it illuminates
College Slice
Day 546 of telling people to move their loving swoop bangs so the temperature reader can hit skin gently caress gently caress gently caress

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

They were over a grand back in the 90s when my dad bought one. Yes, we also had a flo-bee.

Old people. Old people will talk to anyone.

I had a buddy that got talked into a $2000 Rainbow vacuum. Dude lived in a 700 square foot shithole and was always broke.

His wife later pled guilty to embezzling from her employer so I guess that kind of explains it.

HugeGrossBurrito
Mar 20, 2018
Christmas is going to be fuckin grim and it still wont change peoples minds.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
Yeah, because for most of the "big Christmas Dinner no big deal" crowd it will be grim for "other people".
And just laffo if you care about other people, that's just the proles that serve you at restaurants, man the tills at the grocery store, drive the bus that takes your crotch-spawn to school and ventilate you when you are choking on your own lung fluids.
OPEN 'ER UP!

At least the culling in mid January will finally get rid of a bunch of these asshats. Unfortunately, a lot of sensible people will die too.

Edgar Allan Pwned
Apr 4, 2011

Quoth the Raven "I love the power glove. It's so bad..."
my fam is in el paso. i asked my mom earlier in the pandemic if everyone was wearing masks and she said they were. i wonder if it was the same attitude everywhere else that lead to the increase. dad in mexico had much stronger covid rules, but then my sister had a baby..

Edgar Allan Pwned
Apr 4, 2011

Quoth the Raven "I love the power glove. It's so bad..."
also one of my old roommates sold kirby vacuums. they can go up to 3-5 k and almost everyone buys them on payments. they did seem to last forever tho

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
You can buy a used kirby at a vacuum shop (they still exist, we have one or two here besides the Kirby shop) or a thrift store for dirt cheap comparably. There's no reason to pay that much for a vacuum.

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

HugeGrossBurrito posted:

Christmas is going to be fuckin grim and it still wont change peoples minds.

You gotta get through your Thanksgiving first. Ours back in October was responsible for a large spike.

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Always remember that the former President was dumber than the dumbest person you've ever met by a wide margin

A guy at work started freaking out this morning about getting his temperature checked, seemingly for no reason.

He spent about an hour this morning complaining to everybody that it "doesn't matter" and "it's all overblown".

I assume it has something to do with PA announcing no alcohol sales from 5 pm tomorrow until 8 am Thursday, which a whole lotta idiots are considering the end of civilization as we know it.

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

Toronto just went back into lockdown yesterday and the idiots are already coming out of the woodwork:

https://twitter.com/blogTO/status/1331247458718986247?s=19

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

Mr Luxury Yacht posted:

Toronto just went back into lockdown yesterday and the idiots are already coming out of the woodwork:

these nobs are just looking for a few hundred grand in chud donations after they get shutdown

TwoHeadedDeer
Nov 24, 2020

I will be made a new creature, one bright day

A Fancy Hat posted:

I assume it has something to do with PA announcing no alcohol sales from 5 pm tomorrow until 8 am Thursday, which a whole lotta idiots are considering the end of civilization as we know it.

it's not even liquor stores, it's just bars (and indoor drinking is banned anyway)

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008
My town's weekly corona update had a reminder that the first week of December will be extra dangerous. The people who were infected on Thanksgiving will start becoming contagious about 7 days after exposure. Which made me realize Christmas and New Years are about 1 week apart, making an ultimate spreading situation.

A couple of my neighbors have their christmas lights up and switched on already. It doesn't even sound like a bad idea.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Christmas lights should be used to mark covid households.

HugeGrossBurrito
Mar 20, 2018

Mr Luxury Yacht posted:

You gotta get through your Thanksgiving first. Ours back in October was responsible for a large spike.

Yeah that’s what I meant, the fallout from thanksgiving sorry I was probably unclear.

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer
So the pizza guy in Australia who lied about working there got me thinking.

I wonder how much contact tracing misses from people omitting stuff like affairs, prostitution, and illicit drug stuff. I can't imagine people want to have the stuff on record, even if it's supposedly confidential.

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

HugeGrossBurrito posted:

Yeah that’s what I meant, the fallout from thanksgiving sorry I was probably unclear.

Imagine if people get infected at Thanksgiving and then spread it at Christmas. That's like when you kill someone in a rival gang and then go back to the funeral

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Mr Luxury Yacht posted:

I’m gonna treat this as a reason to repost the train wreck Toronto restaurant story again. So so many poor decisions. https://torontolife.com/food/restaurant-ruined-life/

pro starcraft loser
Jan 23, 2006

Stand back, this could get messy.

I like how an option for sides is half a loaf of bread.

Aoi
Sep 12, 2017

Perpetually a Pain.

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

Christmas lights should be used to mark covid households.

That's not cool. Christmas lights in one's windows/on one's house are a way to reach out to the world without being in transmissible distance, and enjoying them is an inherently safe activity for most communities (as it's done driving around the neighborhood admiring them from one's vehicle in cold areas, and can be done from a safe distance no matter what mode of transportation one is employing). It's also a way to add a dash of color to an otherwise very monochromatic holiday (in most places).

It's not like Halloween or Thanksgiving or Easter, where a face-to-face transaction is in play (in theory, again, just enjoying decorations/putting them out to be enjoyed by others is covid safe).

Hm. There isn't really a good christmas-lights-related way to mark bad covid actors, particularly since they'd have to be powered by their own household's electricity, so it would have to be voluntary.

Maybe some manner of reindeer or elf symbology instead?

Ah! Nativity scenes. If someone has a nativity scene, they're probably, statistically, more likely to be a higher covid risk than average, yes?

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

EimiYoshikawa posted:

Ah! Nativity scenes. If someone has a nativity scene, they're probably, statistically, more likely to be a higher covid risk than average, yes?

If they're more likely to choose church over their neighbors. So yeah. Probably. All to please a boogeyman.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

EimiYoshikawa posted:

If it's a wacky Nativity scene with dinosaurs and stuff I'll give them a pass

Hardawn
Mar 15, 2004

College Slice
Just finished Aei Weiwei's documentary Coronation.

An interesting romp inside china during the wuhan lockdown.

It hints at the same failures of leadership, and the same but different cognitive dissonance that the older generation feels. I thought it as an interesting juxtaposition of how elders in america are responding.

It shows the failures of even draconic rigidity that they tried to implement via technology and the people who slip through the cracks of the system and suffer because of it.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
https://twitter.com/IvoGraham/status/1330849359076995073

Aoi
Sep 12, 2017

Perpetually a Pain.

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

If it's a wacky Nativity scene with dinosaurs and stuff I'll give them a pass

Of course. A good addendum.

BallisticClipboard
Feb 18, 2013

Such a good worker!

I realize exactly how I sound but I need a place to vent because I can't keep this in my head any longer.

First things first, I can't self-isolate, I'm couch surfing. My parents are going to their parents for thanksgiving. It's supposed to be a small event but small still means 12 people at minimum. We live in the same city and I desperately want to see my grandmother because I haven't seen her since May or June. I know, it's awful. In my mind, it's no win. I either go and get it or I stay home and still get it. I don't know what to do or rather, I don't see the point in doing the right thing and staying home. My city is better than most but it's covid, that's like saying we've only been shot 4 times instead of 5. I'm frustrated and annoyed. I fully expect to get chewed out for being selfish or whatever but I'm still undecided. I don't know, it's dumb. I'm dumb.

Hardawn
Mar 15, 2004

College Slice
Being a drifter sounds a bit more dangerous. You just trying to go for the holiday and slide back onto a couch by Monday?

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

the question is not whether you get it, but who you end up giving it

you sound young so you're like 100x more likely to survive if you get it then your granny

and honestly, do you actually like your granny? you want to see her and don't care if you get it, sure, but are you ok if you GIVE it to her and she dies?

John_A_Tallon
Nov 22, 2000

Oh my! Check out that mitre!

EimiYoshikawa posted:

Hm. There isn't really a good christmas-lights-related way to mark bad covid actors, particularly since they'd have to be powered by their own household's electricity, so it would have to be voluntary.

Maybe some manner of reindeer or elf symbology instead?

Maybe you could paint their door frames red with lamb's blood.

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

Mr Luxury Yacht posted:

https://twitter.com/KamilKaramali/status/1331297590428758020

https://twitter.com/DavidHains/status/1331300921398202368

Business makes a big show of breaking lockdown rules in the first 36hrs, cops don't write tickets, Premier (who declared the lockdown) gives tacit approval.

Oh, and they're broadcasting anti-mask anti-lockdown activists to frame it on the news.

I'm not leaving my house until spring...

John_A_Tallon
Nov 22, 2000

Oh my! Check out that mitre!
Public officials only respond to bad press and violence, so what did you expect?

BallisticClipboard
Feb 18, 2013

Such a good worker!

Hardawn posted:

Being a drifter sounds a bit more dangerous. You just trying to go for the holiday and slide back onto a couch by Monday?

We live in the same city, it's a five minute drive and then being there for an afternoon. That's the part that's getting me. It's so close and so easy but I know the world is different now. And I don't have anywhere else to go for 2 weeks. That is where I would go.

Mithaldu posted:

you sound young so you're like 100x more likely to survive if you get it then your granny

and honestly, do you actually like your granny? you want to see her and don't care if you get it, sure, but are you ok if you GIVE it to her and she dies?

I mean, hosed up but fair question. I don't leave the house most days. Minutes at a time at most. And this line of thinking is preemptively trying to clear myself of wrong doing. I mean, you're right the answer is yes, no and then the presumed follow up is that I shouldn't go. Yeah, I knew it was a selfish question but it is nice that it's out of my head. I'll just face time or something that day.

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

:glomp:

fwiw, i haven't seen my parents, sister and nephew since last christmas and won't until next summer (if things go well)

Soysaucebeast
Mar 4, 2008

Mithaldu posted:

Yea, this is what I'm trying to get my mom to understand. I haven't seen her since last Christmas, but my boyfriend and I are incapable of quarantining properly (he works retail and I have to go into the office every day) so I can't be sure I don't have it asymptomatically. Add in the fact that my mom is in her late 50's, has chronic lung/heart problems ALREADY (bad enough that her doctors are recommending a transplant), and lives in an assisted living facility, and I could theoretically kill her and like 10 of her neighbors. There is zero chance I am going to go over there to her place (or let her come to mine), but about once a month she calls me all upset because I never come to visit anymore. I keep explaining that I have no problem video calling, talking on the phone, whatever, but I will not chance seeing her face to face. And she says she gets it, but then a couple weeks later it's the same thing.

She's said she's going to Thanksgiving with a handful of her siblings and I don't even want her to do that, but she won't listen to me. She's just lonely and afraid that these are the last holiday's she'll have (to be fair though, she's said that every year for the last 6 or 7) so I get it. But Christ it's upsetting.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

wilderthanmild posted:

I wonder how much contact tracing misses from people omitting stuff like affairs, prostitution, and illicit drug stuff. I can't imagine people want to have the stuff on record, even if it's supposedly confidential.

The contact tracing call I got from LA county was an absolute joke. There is no way anything is accurate.

I did get $20 for talking to her though!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

wilderthanmild posted:

We have to go by what they tell us(mostly). That being said, some contact tracers are much better at building rapport and getting people to tell them stuff. I also feel that having someone able to speak to cases/contacts in their native tongue without an interpreter helps a lot, but thats just my opinion