Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

axeil posted:

Following up on discussion last page: what games do people recommend for first baby steps into VR? I've heard tales of VR motion sickness and don't want to ruin it for myself when my G2 comes tomorrow.

Beat Saber seems interesting and given that you don't move it seems "safe". Is that accurate?

Annoying that there look to be a lot of newbie friendly things that are Oculus only.

Beatsaber and a few other stationary games are good to get your bearings. Then start branching out, but stop when you start feeling sick, don't try to push through.

Having a fan pointing at you is a really good way to get used to VR, strongly recommend.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

Talkc posted:

Found my boundary today playing vr. Playing that stupid saints and sinners walking dead game. Tried stabbing a zombie and found my wall with my hand and controller.

I uh feel real stupid now. At least the controller is okay. My finger has a big scrape on it.

My house has real low ceilings, at about ~7.5 feet

Half of my play area, the ceiling drops down 6'8"-6'9" roughly
I have caught four separate controllers on the corner where it drops down

Haven't broken any yet but it's only a matter of time before I explode an Index controller

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
What VR games are good on weed

Also I have at one point slammed my right controller against my night stand doing a pistol whip and now the battery rattles and its annoying as hell

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Leal posted:

Also I have at one point slammed my right controller against my night stand doing a pistol whip and now the battery rattles and its annoying as hell

Tetris Effect :pcgaming:

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
I like Elite with some good music going

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
So I'm messing around with a mod in Skyrim that adds Zelda stuff. Annoyingly there is a few areas that crash in vr so I'm loving around with teleport codes and one of them lands me right on top of the fierce deity sword. So I pick it up and suddenly the screen goes black. I look around and I see it

That aint cool

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

axeil posted:

Following up on discussion last page: what games do people recommend for first baby steps into VR? I've heard tales of VR motion sickness and don't want to ruin it for myself when my G2 comes tomorrow.

Beat Saber seems interesting and given that you don't move it seems "safe". Is that accurate?

Annoying that there look to be a lot of newbie friendly things that are Oculus only.

Yeah Beat Saber is extremely comfortable for baby's first VR.

The easiest things are "standing" games where you don't move artificially. Things like Job Simulator, Superhot, Pistol Whip. (Or my own game that I'm working on :shobon: )

Then once you get comfortable with those, you can move on to the "artificial locomotion" games where you either teleport or walk with a thumbstick. Those will feel odd at first because you're moving and your brain sees that you're moving with your eyes but knows from your inner-ear that you aren't moving. This is the source of the funny-feeling.

Stop playing VR whenever you feel a little uncomfortable to avoid making it worse in the long run. After several short bursts of comfortable VR, your brain will begin to adapt and become less funny-feeling when weird things happen.

SCheeseman posted:

Half Life Alyx. It's teleport by default, but if you select the option for stick locomotion (which is comfortably implemented) you can use both at the same time. Allows for seamlessly falling back to teleport if it you start getting a little woozy.

Lmao definitely not. Nobody who is new to VR and asking about baby's first experience should be using stick locomotion, not for like, several weeks.

I would start with games that don't even have teleport. THEN move to teleport. THEN AFTER THAT move to stick.

Too many of the goons in this thread are VR-hardcore early-adopters. If someone is asking for baby's first game that isn't what they want.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Zaphod42 posted:

Yeah Beat Saber is extremely comfortable for baby's first VR.

The easiest things are "standing" games where you don't move artificially. Things like Job Simulator, Superhot, Pistol Whip. (Or my own game that I'm working on :shobon: )

Then once you get comfortable with those, you can move on to the "artificial locomotion" games where you either teleport or walk with a thumbstick. Those will feel odd at first because you're moving and your brain sees that you're moving with your eyes but knows from your inner-ear that you aren't moving. This is the source of the funny-feeling.

Stop playing VR whenever you feel a little uncomfortable to avoid making it worse in the long run. After several short bursts of comfortable VR, your brain will begin to adapt and become less funny-feeling when weird things happen.

Lmao definitely not. Nobody who is new to VR and asking about baby's first experience should be using stick locomotion, not for like, several weeks.

I would start with games that don't even have teleport. THEN move to teleport. THEN AFTER THAT move to stick.

Too many of the goons in this thread are VR-hardcore early-adopters. If someone is asking for baby's first game that isn't what they want.

Thanks for this.

I'll pick up HL: Alyx eventually but I think starting there is a bad idea, so its reassuring to hear that my instincts are right there. The Space Pirate Trainer looks neat, pretty simple and immersive. I'll take a look at Job Simulator, Superhot and Pistol Whip too.

Since you mentioned it, what's the game you're working on?

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

Another piece of VR ancient history: this 2017 postmortem of Job Simulator
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G5a5VIdjiJA

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

axeil posted:

Thanks for this.

I'll pick up HL: Alyx eventually but I think starting there is a bad idea, so its reassuring to hear that my instincts are right there. The Space Pirate Trainer looks neat, pretty simple and immersive. I'll take a look at Job Simulator, Superhot and Pistol Whip too.

Since you mentioned it, what's the game you're working on?

I do love HL Alyx and it has some really good VR, but yeah, its a game that requires you to use artificial locomotion so I would just wait a few weeks before diving in there.

My own game is basically Space Pirate Trainer meets Hotdogs, Horseshoes and Handgrenades. Its called Bullet Points! :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=45mwMMw38t8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TIYu1taK4TA

I posted a demo ITT at the end of last month and got some feedback, and I'm trying to wrap up a free demo to put on steam. I've got Cyberpunk, Modern, Western and Pirate themed weapon sets now implemented and the basic interactions are starting to feel really good. I need to improve my AI a bit and build a few more shooting gallery levels.

Long run, I'm hoping to do some on-rails levels where you're either riding in a boat or on a train, or maybe some kind of automatic teleport movement so I can push you through a sequence of different shooting galleries.

Basically the whole thing started with me posting in this thread "I would love to see light gun games like Time Crisis and House of the Dead ported to VR" and decided to try making that a reality, and then it spun off from there.

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 07:57 on Nov 24, 2020

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Zaphod42 posted:

I do love HL Alyx and it has some really good VR, but yeah, its a game that requires you to use artificial locomotion so I would just wait a few weeks before diving in there.

My own game is basically Space Pirate Trainer meets Hotdogs, Horseshoes and Handgrenades. Its called Bullet Points! :)

I posted a demo ITT at the end of last month and got some feedback, and I'm trying to wrap up a free demo to put on steam. I've got Cyberpunk, Modern, Western and Pirate themed weapon sets now implemented and the basic interactions are starting to feel really good. I need to improve my AI a bit and build a few more shooting gallery levels.

Long run, I'm hoping to do some on-rails levels where you're either riding in a boat or on a train, or maybe some kind of automatic teleport movement so I can push you through a sequence of different shooting galleries.

Basically the whole thing started with me posting in this thread "I would love to see light gun games like Time Crisis and House of the Dead ported to VR" and decided to try making that a reality, and then it spun off from there.

Oh hey, this looks really neat! I'll have to check it out when it's ready :shobon:

I like the art style you're going with too. The blocky solid textures give it a nice charming look.

Will you eventually be adding in music/voices/etc? I'm assuming since this is pre-demo there's a lot of polish stuff that still needs to get added.

Core gameplay looks neat, I liked how you had to pour in the powder and musket balls on the pirate ship.

axeil fucked around with this message at 08:06 on Nov 24, 2020

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

8one6 posted:

Another piece of VR ancient history: this 2017 postmortem of Job Simulator

Oh this is fun. I'm gonna have to watch all of it, thanks for the link.

axeil posted:

Oh hey, this looks really neat! I'll have to check it out when it's ready :shobon:

:allears: thanks! I'll def post here when I have more freebies available. I could link you the old build but I've improved a ton since then so maybe better I just try to polish it up first.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Zaphod42 posted:

Alyx is specifically tested on VR beginners and as a result it's one of the most accessible VR games. I didn't say that anyone should jump straight into stick, only that they can set it up so it's there if they want it, the game plays fine either way.

You "teleport" in VR whenever you press the home button. It's not jarring enough to be a barrier.

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER
I use my Quest in the same space that I have Index base stations installed. When in guardian boundary setup mode I can see the IR lights flashing from the base stations.

Do these constant IR flashing lights make tracking better, worse, or no different for the Quest?

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

SCheeseman posted:

Alyx is specifically tested on VR beginners and as a result it's one of the most accessible VR games. I didn't say that anyone should jump straight into stick, only that they can set it up so it's there if they want it, the game plays fine either way.

You "teleport" in VR whenever you press the home button. It's not jarring enough to be a barrier.

I get where you're coming from, but I still think there's a pretty big difference between pressing a button to jump between a home screen and a videogame, or being in combat with headcrabs and needing to warp around real fast so you don't get eaten. The former has never made me feel bad but the latter has sometimes slowly added up to feeling bad, even without stick.

Alyx definitely isn't barf city but hey, Beat Saber and Pistol Whip are loving great games so its not like you're missing out to play those for a bit :)

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Zaphod42 posted:

If you want to go for Time Crisis and contemporary lightgun arcade games, what you could do is build a set of static encounters and let the player advance to each static coverpoint via smooth or teleport movement at their own pace between encounters. Take a look at how Time Crisis levels work, with it pausing the action between points (where you'd let the player manually migrate to the next one for a VR equivalent version) before starting the next setpiece.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

ShadowHawk posted:

I use my Quest in the same space that I have Index base stations installed. When in guardian boundary setup mode I can see the IR lights flashing from the base stations.

Do these constant IR flashing lights make tracking better, worse, or no different for the Quest?

The quest controllers also use blinking it lights so it could make it worse by confusing it.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Neddy Seagoon posted:

If you want to go for Time Crisis and contemporary lightgun arcade games, what you could do is build a set of static encounters and let the player advance to each static coverpoint via smooth or teleport movement at their own pace between encounters. Take a look at how Time Crisis levels work, with it pausing the action between points (where you'd let the player manually migrate to the next one for a VR equivalent version) before starting the next setpiece.

Yeah I'm gonna try a few things. Crisis Vrigade is a game that already exists and tries to do the Time Crisis thing exactly, and they just have the screen fade to black and then come back and you've teleported automatically, and it does that for a few hops until it gets to the next location. It works okay but I'm not crazy about it.

Letting the player teleport or smooth walk from one point to another would be cool, but take the most work haha. But yeah, maybe letting the player do the movement but having there be no time limit and no bad guys between stages so you can do it at your own leisure, that could work. I also like the idea of hiding powerups like health recovery or powerful weapons like rocket launchers in the nooks of the level, and having freedom to walk around a little would let you discover hidden goodies... but I was also just thinking you could spot them and use a force-pull to get them, so maybe I don't need to go that far.

But I think I'm gonna start with putting you on top of a train and just moving the train on a track and you can shoot people when the train approaches them. After that I'll play with smooth locomotion. (heh)

There's definitely a thing where shooting bad guys in a single location gets dull after awhile, I can make it fun for a few minutes and then it starts to feel same-y, so that's going to be what I explore next now that I've got the core interactions, guns and enemies working. Thanks for the ideas!

Gabby_Jay
Dec 14, 2000

Gör som vi
Till denna melodi

Leal posted:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/906120/POLYBIUS/

and

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1342740/Moose_Life/

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Don't forget Rez VR :350:

Synonymous
May 24, 2011

That was a nice distraction.

Talkc posted:

Found my boundary today playing vr. Playing that stupid saints and sinners walking dead game. Tried stabbing a zombie and found my wall with my hand and controller.

I uh feel real stupid now. At least the controller is okay. My finger has a big scrape on it.

Haptic feedback can be disabled within the in-game settings, or via the Oculus/SteamVR settings.

e: Immediately after posting this, I started playing Robo Recall and punched my windowframe, so

Synonymous fucked around with this message at 11:31 on Nov 24, 2020

WirelessPillow
Jan 12, 2012

Look Ma, no wires!

Zaphod42 posted:

I get where you're coming from, but I still think there's a pretty big difference between pressing a button to jump between a home screen and a videogame, or being in combat with headcrabs and needing to warp around real fast so you don't get eaten. The former has never made me feel bad but the latter has sometimes slowly added up to feeling bad, even without stick.

Alyx definitely isn't barf city but hey, Beat Saber and Pistol Whip are loving great games so its not like you're missing out to play those for a bit :)

I do want to chime in that it also depends on how much experience you have with games in general.
it took me 2 days to acclimatize to the idea of moving around with the joystick instead of teleporting, while my wife who loves beat saber struggles with Pistol Whip because of all the movement going past her.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

axeil posted:

I'd say most games are still multi-platform. Like others have replied, I would advise to start with standing games (I Expect you to Die, SuperHot VR, Beat Saber, Vacation Simulator, that kind), then move to teleporting non-combat games (something like The Room VR or Virtual Virtual Reality) then move to games like Apex Construct or Robo Recall with combat and teleporting, then finally games with artificial locomotion slowly. Something like HL Alyx as you can start by moving in straight lines to get accustomed and use teleport for the rest or when you start feeling funny.

Grashnak
Apr 30, 2006

Oven Wrangler

Turin Turambar posted:

I'd say most games are still multi-platform. Like others have replied, I would advise to start with standing games (I Expect you to Die, SuperHot VR, Beat Saber, Vacation Simulator, that kind), then move to teleporting non-combat games (something like The Room VR or Virtual Virtual Reality) then move to games like Apex Construct or Robo Recall with combat and teleporting, then finally games with artificial locomotion slowly. Something like HL Alyx as you can start by moving in straight lines to get accustomed and use teleport for the rest or when you start feeling funny.

I jumped pretty much straight into Alyx after playing a little bit of Beat Saber and Pistol Whip when I got my headset and I didn't have any issues. Alyx is super good for VR comfort if you use the teleport movement mode.

It definitely took me a lot longer to be able to use the smooth locomotion but I'd have no problems with having someone new to VR jump into Alyx.

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

Frigate Hetman Sahaidachny
First to Fight Scuttle, First to Fall Sink

Ciaphas posted:

Does anyone have any advice for reducing stuttering in No Man's Sky VR? Got my Rift S back out to try it yesterday, and it was great, but whenever it hitched the viewpoint froze and made me feel violently ill

I'm on a 3070 and these stutters occur even when I'm otherwise at capped fps / in low detail environments, so I don't think it's having any trouble rendering...

Turn off motion smoothing helped me

SgtScruffy
Dec 27, 2003

Babies.

Zaphod42 posted:

Don't forget Rez VR :350:
Agreeing with this on page 420 wholeheartedly

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
Don't you move around with the thumbstick in SuperhotVR? I've seen it suggested twice as stationary VR.

I agree Alyx is a good motion VR game for beginners but you probably shouldn't start with motion games. And you'll probably only play for like 20 minutes sessions to start, and Alyx is a game you'll want to play longer sessions anyway.

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

VR Cover facial interface is out. And it's available in white if you don't trust that they've fixed the colour fastness from the launch batch

Gabby_Jay
Dec 14, 2000

Gör som vi
Till denna melodi

Lockback posted:

Don't you move around with the thumbstick in SuperhotVR? I've seen it suggested twice as stationary VR.

SHVR is stationary, though you can move a little if you have the physical roomspace for it. After you finish an encounter you warp to the next point in the level and repeat.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Gabby_Jay posted:

SHVR is stationary, though you can move a little if you have the physical roomspace for it. After you finish an encounter you warp to the next point in the level and repeat.

Dang I remember it a thumbstick mover, I even beat the game too but it was a couple years ago with my OG rift. I should give that a replay.

Ceive
Dec 19, 2006

thank pizza skeltal

For baby steps into VR:

Welcome to Light Fields is great if you just want to stand in a 3d environment for a bit.
https://store.steampowered.com/app/771310/Welcome_to_Light_Fields/

Google has a few free VR experiences. Little short story type things for a sitting position. Some are pretty heavy on using moving environments though.
https://store.steampowered.com/search/?developer=Google%20Inc.

Accounting is alright for exploring small environments. There's a free version and a slightly expanded paid version.
https://store.steampowered.com/app/518580/Accounting_Legacy/

There's The Lab which is Valve's VR experience. There can be a lot of moving around for some of the activities though.
https://store.steampowered.com/app/450390/The_Lab/

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Ceive posted:

For baby steps into VR:

Welcome to Light Fields is great if you just want to stand in a 3d environment for a bit.
https://store.steampowered.com/app/771310/Welcome_to_Light_Fields/

Google has a few free VR experiences. Little short story type things for a sitting position. Some are pretty heavy on using moving environments though.
https://store.steampowered.com/search/?developer=Google%20Inc.

Accounting is alright for exploring small environments. There's a free version and a slightly expanded paid version.
https://store.steampowered.com/app/518580/Accounting_Legacy/

There's The Lab which is Valve's VR experience. There can be a lot of moving around for some of the activities though.
https://store.steampowered.com/app/450390/The_Lab/

RecRoom and VRChat are both legit great ways to acclimate into VR. Just find a quiet/interesting-looking world and poke at things for a few hours at a time.

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.
Well, I have a Rift S but I just liquidated my Magic Online "collection", dumped that into Paypal, dumped that into checking, and preordered a reverb G2.

I'm sure it will be at least January but maybe I'll beat some of the people who wait until after black friday / and or decide they want it for christmas much too late?

it's tempting to eBay my rift S now because I know I'll get more than I will a couple months down the line, but I don't think i wanna be without a headset that long, and who knows what the reverb backlog is like

edit: page 420? maybe I should have sold weed I grew instead

Cabbages and VHS fucked around with this message at 17:54 on Nov 24, 2020

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Leal posted:

I have enjoyed No Man's Sky, just go to planets and wander around and gawk at the pretty colors and weird critters

iron buns
Jan 12, 2016

iron buns posted:

v23 seems to have some tracking and performance issues. Several people have reported that the headset is jittering or "swimming" when you stay still and the menus are really choppy.

Full factory reset fixed the jittering. It didn't fix the performance issues in the menus though. I guess I'll continue to run the headset in 72Hz mode for now.

Also, I noticed several stuck pixels in the passthrough cameras. They don't seem to affect the tracking, though. Weird.

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

Neddy Seagoon posted:

RecRoom and VRChat are both legit great ways to acclimate into VR. Just find a quiet/interesting-looking world and poke at things for a few hours at a time.

Heavily disagree on VRChat, mostly because unoptimized avatars can lead to pretty awful FPS drops and someone who's new to VR isn't going to handle that well at all. It's great when it works right, but "when it works right" is doing a lot of work there.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

Thanks everyone for your blunt honesty about SLI (two GTX 980s) essentially being outdated technology. With my other specs, is it worth throwing in a midline graphics card or am I looking at a total rebuild (in general, not just for VR)?

To be fair, I literally bought this off a friend for $200 a year ago, so I'm not exactly bitching much.

Other specs: Intel i7 -@ 3.5 Ghz, 12 GB Ram

On a different note, I expect you to die is entirely too fun of a time. Really really digging its vibe.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Narcissus1916 posted:

On a different note, I expect you to die is entirely too fun of a time. Really really digging its vibe.

I think my dad will love it. He told child-me that the button on the parking brake lever in the car triggered an ejection seat like in James Bond's car.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Leal posted:

I find it weird that, for me, I feel less stoned in VR than outside VR. I've played VR on edibles and I'm totally normal but then when I take the HMD off I'm stoned as gently caress again. I wonder if it's just the fact that VR focuses my attention and there's less real world distractions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Narcissus1916 posted:

Thanks everyone for your blunt honesty about SLI (two GTX 980s) essentially being outdated technology. With my other specs, is it worth throwing in a midline graphics card or am I looking at a total rebuild (in general, not just for VR)?

To be fair, I literally bought this off a friend for $200 a year ago, so I'm not exactly bitching much.

Other specs: Intel i7 -@ 3.5 Ghz, 12 GB Ram

Yeah, I don't think the rest of your setup is a problem. I'd start with a new GPU, you can always move it into a new build down the line.