Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Nuns with Guns)

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Parakeet vs. Phone posted:

If you bothered to note the letters, it was Belial. That little-known demon who's in a ton of media and is a big bad in some little indie series of games called Diablo. I was enough of a nerd to be on the show's forums at the time, and after that episode they went nuts. At first people assumed that the editors had just picked a random demon name, but the lead's verified account confirmed that it was right and that they were furious with the producers.

The episode I distinctly remember had the list of demons including Belial and also Lilith because why not? Coffey also at one point got a very strong mental impression of somebody saying a number repeatedly and if you guessed that number was '6' said three times then congratulations, you have seen an episode of Paranormal State before.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

So I just watched the Jacob Geller video about infinity and there's a fun little easter egg in his talking head segments where he has a stack of books next to himself and the only one that has its spine turned to the camera is House of Leaves.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

sexpig by night posted:

I meant as in having any real 'commentary', but rather just referencing political issues/figures as a thing that exists. Like, saying 'we've lost our way' is a line from a republican flier isn't actually saying anything, it's just pointing out that that's a thing republicans say a lot. Which is fine, that's a good joke, there's no real need for them to go deeper than a base level 'ha, these guys exist, get it?' joke.

It's the same in the new version. Like, they have the Warners go on a faux Tucker Carlson show but it's just a framing device for them to make fun of the general talking head trend of reframing any question into their own talking points and end with classic cartoon slapstick. Tucker isn't really the joke there, and christ knows they're not making any actual commentary on him as a fascist white supremacist, but he's just a well known person to use and he's a dweeby little bowtie wearing bitch so he's fun to put next to the Warners. The only people offended by that and claiming it's 'political' are the right wing idiots angry they even dared to make a joke involving their favorite nighttime white supremacist.

pretty much. i was gonna say the jokes are a little too on the nose but than my brain realized who this was for (kids and such) and i didnt care. reeboot seems good. sorta miss Slappy but whatever.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IPNrjRariow

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Dapper_Swindler posted:

pretty much. i was gonna say the jokes are a little too on the nose but than my brain realized who this was for (kids and such) and i didnt care. reeboot seems good. sorta miss Slappy but whatever.

They dropped Slappy from the reboot??? Aw man. Huge missed opportunity.

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

Hey Qween! is basically The Tonight Show in some alternate LGBT universe. It was started by Jonny McGovern, a comic, podcaster, and former party producer at a bunch of NYC gay bars in the '00s (he went viral in the early internet with the music video for his song "Soccer Practice"). It's a bit odd to think of this as an internet show, as it had a very traditional television-style format. It has even occasionally been picked up as a series by a few streaming services.

The show was co-hosted (in the Ed McMahon sense of co-hosting) by Lady Red Couture, a well-known drag queen in the LA scene who was very well-known within those circles but didn't break out until being on the show (and seemed to always be on the cusp of breaking out further). Sadly, Lady Red died this year due to a chronic illness. The show spent a long time paused as a result, and is just now starting to come back with a tribute to/celebration of Lady Red.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=25Ps6DPapG4

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Raycevik just did a video on Jet Set Radio
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-sZYN2ZZb3w

Violet_Sky
Dec 5, 2011

Fun Shoe

RareAcumen posted:

They dropped Slappy from the reboot??? Aw man. Huge missed opportunity.

Why did they drop him?

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Violet_Sky posted:

Why did they drop him?

Her and the reboot focuses solely on the Warners and Pinky and the Brain.

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Didn't you see it!? Couldn't you see my "spirit"!?

Dapper_Swindler posted:

What the gently caress do not tell me they got rid of Slappy Squirrel.

Edit:

Mokinokaro posted:

Well this kinda chaffs me. I like the Warners and all but a lot of the side characters are great in their own right.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

all the side characters do get a cameo in a gag at least

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum
I love that goons notice the lack of grumpy grandma squirrel while the rest of the internet is unironically throwing a sprocket over the lack of Hello Nurse

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Didn't you see it!? Couldn't you see my "spirit"!?

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

I love that goons notice the lack of grumpy grandma squirrel while the rest of the internet is unironically throwing a sprocket over the lack of Hello Nurse

Hello Nurse was one gag that got old fast. I wouldn't mind if they brought her back as an actual character, though.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?
ThoughtSlime on why Freddy vs Jason is actually good
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AZGyEpAgYxE

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

The reverse gag the new show did was pretty funny though.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

God bless Allison for guiding us through these difficult times with the awkward flailing of a Baywatch spinoff.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9z-acs5j0vU

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

achillesforever6 posted:

ThoughtSlime on why Freddy vs Jason is actually good
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AZGyEpAgYxE

I watched it last week, and yeah, surprising good. The townsfolk logically are treating Freddy as a cognito-hazard. Protagonists are mostly sensible, just over matched. And there's a videogame-rear end boss fight arena.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.
theymerSophie/Curio is starting a new video series on why we tell monster stories with a look at how the media portrays the FBI and serial killers:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qVwR4H9eNTw

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

Mokinokaro posted:

Didn't the voice actress also pass away too?

Curio's next video should be good
https://twitter.com/theymerSophie/status/1330925041522008067
Having seen it as a patron I can attest it is and brought up a bunch of other stuff that made me realize that Snyder is definitely a Randian

achillesforever6 fucked around with this message at 03:38 on Nov 25, 2020

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
No? Sherri Stoner is 61.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 03:40 on Nov 25, 2020

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

Arcsquad12 posted:

No? Sherri Stoner is 61.
Huh guess I was lied to lol

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

Shame they're not bringing back the whole cast, but I guess it was pretty large. I never liked the pigeon segments. I remember thinking the Mr. Skullhead segments were great.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

achillesforever6 posted:

Didn't the voice actress also pass away too?

Curio's next video should be good
https://twitter.com/theymerSophie/status/1330925041522008067
Having seen it as a patron I can attest it is and brought up a bunch of other stuff that made me realize that Snyder is definitely a Randian

Does he make you randy baby

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I've been watching Atrocity Guide and it has some pretty good videos. There aren't that many but it seems like it is getting more popular as time goes on as the latest videos have over a million views.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WWRniMqhr00
Here's the most recent which goes into the history of the Breatharian movement.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

its because she basicaly is a goon. we know our own.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

I think Aunt Slappy'd fly really well today as a supportive older relative. She might not always get what Skippy's into, but she sure knows bigots and assholes and just how to deal with them :toughguy:.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

The only thing I remember with any clarity about Aunt Slappy is Who’s on Stage but that’s enough to warrant a spot :colbert:

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Sankara posted:

Shame they're not bringing back the whole cast, but I guess it was pretty large. I never liked the pigeon segments. I remember thinking the Mr. Skullhead segments were great.

Yeah, I can't blame them for not bringing back the entire cast I just haven't gotten around to it yet (hell, I'm still only 12 episodes through Digimon despite starting that in like September) but I liked her whole dynamic so I think it's a shame she's not in it. The doctor, the security guard and Pinky and the Brain are the characters of expect to see return and Buttons, Mindy, Skippy and Slappy are everyone else I'd want to make the cut personally.

Kibayasu posted:

The only thing I remember with any clarity about Aunt Slappy is Who’s on Stage but that’s enough to warrant a spot :colbert:

Same. Jaded old cartoon character as a mentor is such a neat dynamic. Especially since oh no I can't think of any other ones beyond Muriel from Courage the Cowardly Dog, Granny from Looney Tunes and Grandma Stuffum from KND.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Kibayasu posted:

No Aunt Slappy, The Band is playing later!

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

SaberSpark zooming in at the front of the wave like the Flash already.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1lWYqIg-cA8

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Watch out there ya'll, Patrick (H) Willems is at it again

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6dfI_2dscGE

And I'll warn you, it's got skits in it again.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

The point is to see gore.

Karloff
Mar 21, 2013

It's a decent video that makes some good points, the only thing I think it's missing is that lots of kids LOVE gore and violence. I remember being fascinated by the Kelley Jones art in the Batman: Vampire comics when I was a kid because it was so surreal and nightmarish, it was the horror film tenor of the Batman stuff that made me fall in love with it. That said, that's Batman and he's always kind of slipped into that feel quite snugly. I would find it weird if they released an adult rated Spider-Man or Superman film, I know BvS extended is an R but that's a home video release, and in the UK both extended and theatrical were rated 12. Funnily enough, talking of UK ratings, my conception of Batman at least feeling like an "adult" character as a child was also in part because Batman and Batman Returns were, on video at least, both rated as 15 - so as a seven year old or whatever they already had a mysterious forbidden quality to them.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

im not watching that video but yeah the answer is because violence is cool

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008

Karloff posted:

It's a decent video that makes some good points, the only thing I think it's missing is that lots of kids LOVE gore and violence.

Alaois posted:

im not watching that video but yeah the answer is because violence is cool

That's pretty much the main point he's missing, yeah. Sometimes the simplest answer is the best.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

thats why wolverine was and is such a popular character. he does violence a lot, and he can have a lot of violence done to him and keep goin'

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008
"Adults shouldn't demand superhero movies be R-rated to cater to them, it should be for everyone." - The internet creator

"Remember when the first Mortal Kombat games were coming out and all the kids wanted as much blood and gore as possible" - Me, the intellectual.

People have this weird idea of kids IMO, probably because they either can't remember their childhood or have this idealized version of in their heads. Kids are monsters who enjoy over-the-top media violence and gore just as much as anyone.

Archer666 fucked around with this message at 12:38 on Nov 25, 2020

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
His argument (and it's backed up by a few comic book creators) is that R-Rated stuff works best when it's not being done by the exact same characters as the family friendly stuff.

Kim Justice
Jan 29, 2007

The point is to say gently caress, poo poo and wank

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

Archer666 posted:

"Adults shouldn't demand superhero movies be R-rated to cater to them, it should be for everyone." - The internet creator

"Remember when the first Mortal Kombat games were coming out and all the kids wanted as much blood and gore as possible" - Me, the intellectual.

People have this weird idea of kids IMO, probably because they either can't remember their childhood or have this idealized version of in their heads. Kids are monsters who enjoy over-the-top media violence and gore just as much as anyone.

his point is that when fans ask for r rated superhero movies they just want the same children's movies but with blood and superheroes, swears and women getting raped and not actual stories for adults. he's not arguing for censorship or anything. just writing thats more thoughtful like alan moore and less like the dumb poo poo that he inspired

Farm Frenzy fucked around with this message at 12:56 on Nov 25, 2020