Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

Mokinokaro posted:

I think it's an albino capybara going by the head.

With that tail? You're silly.

It may be this creature:
https://www.alamy.com/stock-photo-albino-nutria-or-coypu-wild-ridgefield-national-wildlife-refuge-columbia-104317533.html
https://www.istockphoto.com/video/cute-wild-albino-white-furry-muskrat-gm1252611741-365610557
Not sure how big they really get.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

RustyKnight posted:

what about Common brushtail possum, or is there a rule that opossums are the american ones and possums are the australian?

Opossums are the American ones, 'possum is contraction of that, possum is Australian.

Opossum is a mangled version of the Algonquin word for the Virginia opossum, Virginia being colonized before Australia.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

StillFullyTerrible posted:

i was going to suggest breeding octopi that live longer than 3-5 years, but i realized that might lead to them overthrowing us as dominant lifeform
Also breeding octopi to live longer is kind of an oxymoron
https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2018/09/180925140402.htm

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Mokinokaro posted:

I think it's an albino capybara going by the head.

I think it's not, going by the enormous tail.

efb

gbut
Mar 28, 2008

😤I put the UN🇺🇳 in 🎊FUN🎉

Splicer posted:

And this is why I keep coming back to this forum. Thank you.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

It's Octopuses :argh:

StillFullyTerrible
Feb 16, 2020

you should have left Let's Play open for public view, Lowtax

Splicer posted:

sorry, engineer octopi to live longer

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Cocaine Bear posted:

I think it's not, going by the enormous tail.

efb

clockwork chaos
Sep 15, 2009

I love my babies

snergle
Aug 3, 2013

A kind little mouse!

Splicer posted:

you just breed them with smaller and smaller optic glands so that they eventually just get postpartum depression instead. I look foward to the new dominate species and their weirdos who want to go back to dying when they mate

snergle has a new favorite as of 17:04 on Nov 24, 2020

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

snergle posted:

you just breed them with smaller and smaller optic glands so that they eventually just get postpartum depression instead. I look foward to the new dominate species and their weirdos who want to go back to dying when they mate

Where we’re going, we won’t need eyes to breed :cthulhu:

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Thaddius the Large posted:

Where we’re going, we won’t need eyes to breed :cthulhu:

Catholicism?

gleebster
Dec 16, 2006

Only a howler
Pillbug
Octopuses are clearly Buddhists, following the eightfold path.

Lodin
Jul 31, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
https://twitter.com/TechAmazing/status/1331080132216418304?s=20

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

gleebster posted:

Octopuses are clearly Buddhists, following the eightfold path.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club

I made this a few years ago, when Trump first announced his thing. It came up in a conversation. Maybe it's worth a giggle.

What threw me off was that the lower-right guy is actually animated and nobody else is.

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

Johnny Aztec posted:

Wellllll, while pet rats are very loving and cute, wild rats are not.

Wild possums eat a gently caress ton of ticks every year, and are important parts of the scavenger ecology.

Sorry Rat people, Possums win out.

Yeah tough choice. Prevents the spread of Lyme disease or held responsible for the bubonic plague (I know it may have been hamsters or something but rats still get the rap)

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

credburn posted:

What threw me off was that the lower-right guy is actually animated and nobody else is.

It just looks that way because of the illusion. If the colors weren't changing you'd see it standing still

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

BaldDwarfOnPCP posted:

Yeah tough choice. Prevents the spread of Lyme disease or held responsible for the bubonic plague (I know it may have been hamsters or something but rats still get the rap)

That would be the fleas that lived ON the rats. Killing the rats was about the worst thing they could have done, as then all the fleas just jumped off the rat-corpse and onto the person.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

It just looks that way because of the illusion. If the colors weren't changing you'd see it standing still

The guy in the lower right has a running animation.

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

It's an optical illusion.

Mauser
Dec 16, 2003

How did I even get here, son?!

Johnny Aztec posted:

That would be the fleas that lived ON the rats. Killing the rats was about the worst thing they could have done, as then all the fleas just jumped off the rat-corpse and onto the person.

If I remember right, which is a lot to ask right now, the fleas once infected would also go into a biting frenzy which helped it spread that form of the plague. There was also pneumonic plague which spread human to human and was much more infectious.

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

ultrafilter posted:

The guy in the lower right has a running animation.

It’s just the colors. It does weird things to your brain.

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

Rats get all the blame for the fleas, but man, all the people had fleas too. And the cats and dogs. Fleas are opportunistic; unlike lice, which will live on one species and only one species, fleas might prefer one type of host to another but they'll hop on anything warm and moving. The rats weren't spreading plague more than anything else was, and the rats only followed us.

Rats are destructive, but they're highly social and pretty drat intelligent. At least respect your adversary.

Unrelated rat story: once one of my rats saw me get some chocolate (for me, but I used to use chocolate chips as training treats for them) out of my stash when they were having some free time out of the cage, and she went and woke up her girlfriend who was having a nap somewhere out of sight, and then they came and tackled me together. Had to make sure everyone got a taste!

Mauser
Dec 16, 2003

How did I even get here, son?!

RoboRodent posted:

Rats get all the blame for the fleas, but man, all the people had fleas too. And the cats and dogs. Fleas are opportunistic; unlike lice, which will live on one species and only one species, fleas might prefer one type of host to another but they'll hop on anything warm and moving. The rats weren't spreading plague more than anything else was, and the rats only followed us.

Rats are destructive, but they're highly social and pretty drat intelligent. At least respect your adversary.

Unrelated rat story: once one of my rats saw me get some chocolate (for me, but I used to use chocolate chips as training treats for them) out of my stash when they were having some free time out of the cage, and she went and woke up her girlfriend who was having a nap somewhere out of sight, and then they came and tackled me together. Had to make sure everyone got a taste!

Rats are awesome, but rodents in general are the primary reservoir for plague bacteria and are kinda responsible for the transmission through fleas to humans :(

Edit: also more rat stories please. This one was adorable.

My rat story is that when I was growing up, my friend had a pair of rats and we would construct elaborate structures for them to traverse in order to get treats, like a little rope bridge that they had to climb upsidedown across from one counter to the other. They were best buds and slept together in a little pile of fur. They would also chase down and corner the terrified rabbit that lived with them, all running around free in the house. My friend's mom was pretty weird!

Mauser has a new favorite as of 00:54 on Nov 25, 2020

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

Mauser posted:

Rats are awesome, but rodents in general are the primary reservoir for plague bacteria and are kinda responsible for the transmission through fleas to humans :(

No, I refuse to blame them. They are precious angels, all of them.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

RoboRodent posted:

The thing about rats was that they didn't respect quarantines, which even pre-germ-theory societies understood pretty well

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit
Rats: No concept of personal space. *jots that down*

Bismuth
Jun 11, 2010

by Azathoth
Hell Gem

Johnny Aztec posted:

Rats: No concept of personal space. *jots that down*

Its really true

but how can you not love them

They're god's perfect angels

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?

Woebin
Feb 6, 2006

Oh you respect rats? Well, I don't give a rat sass.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

What the hell kinda planet is Minnesota from?

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!
Scandinavia

Bismuth
Jun 11, 2010

by Azathoth
Hell Gem

Cartoon Man posted:

This needs to be dealt with

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

I'm gray.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

duck grey so what

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!

Cartoon Man posted:

Ah, the 1984 Electoral map

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Found it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yoshi Wins
Jul 14, 2013

TK-42-1 posted:

It’s just the colors. It does weird things to your brain.

I can't believe someone would just go on the internet and tell lies like this.