Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

Noice. Delete murky from the game you cowards

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
It's Hogger

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Macaluso posted:

It's Hogger

Pro: can solo the other team until they reach level 11
Con: completely useless afterwards

Karma Guard
Jun 21, 2006
Just one spray keeps bad karma away!
Teaser #2:

https://twitter.com/BlizzHeroes/status/1330571751059644417?s=20
I guess it's Hogger ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

Get Hogger free when you buy 6 months of the new Classic only subscription for $12.99 a month

Im_Special
Jan 2, 2011

Look At This!!! WOW!
It's F*cking Nothing.

Fried Watermelon posted:

Get Hogger free when you buy 6 months of the new Classic only subscription for $12.99 a month

Cannot even tell if your joking.

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Taskmaster 2023 Second Place Winner

Grimey Drawer
Of course he's joking. $14.99 plus tax.

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009
Hates Native American people and tries to justify their genocides.

Put this racist on ignore immediately!

Fried Watermelon posted:

They still give Artanis to everyone who has Legacy of the Void on their account, so it would not be surprising if they gave free Hogger to everyone who buys the new WoW expansion or something like that.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9r5d3z4xGio

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008
This isn't April.

Nybble
Jun 28, 2008

praise chuck, raise heck
Blizzard Make A Character Without A Stun Challenge

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Hogger isn't really known for... most of that, but I like what they did with him.

What I like most though is how unlike WoW, they played up the fact that Gnolls are based on hyenas, so they give him a stupid Lion King hyenas cackle

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

I mean didn't WoW Hogger just autoattack people to death?

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."
Never played WoW so the only thing I knew about Hogger was his Hearthstone card that generated gnolls every turn. Thought his HOTS appearance might have a similar mechanic where he summoned creatures like Zagara or Azmodan to push lanes, but I guess the devs are sticking to what they said a while ago about moving away from that type of design. Turning into the Tasmanian Devil and crashing through everything is also good.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

Never played WoW so the only thing I knew about Hogger was his Hearthstone card that generated gnolls every turn. Thought his HOTS appearance might have a similar mechanic where he summoned creatures like Zagara or Azmodan to push lanes, but I guess the devs are sticking to what they said a while ago about moving away from that type of design. Turning into the Tasmanian Devil and crashing through everything is also good.

In Vanilla WoW, Hogger was an Elite mob out in one of the low-level starting zones. He patrolled around an area where there was a quest to kill a bunch of normal gnolls for a bounty on them, and there was a similar bounty quest for killing him. Because of his relative power level compared to the trash mobs around him, he had a bit of a reputation for ruining lower level players' days by coming up on them while they were engaged fighting the normal trash mobs. He didn't really do much aside from auto-attacking, but at those low levels with not-so-great gear, those auto-attacks loving hurt like hell, and could very easily turn a fight from, "one more gnoll and I'm done with this quest," into, "OH JESUS gently caress gently caress GET AWAY... and I'm dead. gently caress!" Consequently, he became something of a meme among WoW players, touted as being just as deadly, if not more so, than most high-level raid bosses.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
He looks pretty fun. I always liked Hammer of Twilight so it'll be fun to have that on a normal hero.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

hogger was the first elite (much, much tougher version of a normal enemy) many players ran into. In the early days of wow lots of people didn’t know what the golden dragon around his portrait meant and went right for him assuming they could handle him the same way they handled the rest of the gnolls. This was not the case.

Bodacious
Jul 29, 2010
Matthew McConaughey: Hey blizz, you gonna add Baal or Mengsk or someone significant?

Blizz: Uhh, no, just Overwatch and minor WoW characters.

Matthew McConaughey: Be alot cooler if you did.

Polio Vax Scene
Apr 5, 2009

SirSamVimes posted:

I mean didn't WoW Hogger just autoattack people to death?

so did Butcher

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

Buff genji you cowards

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

delete genji you cowards

wynott dunn
Aug 9, 2006

What is to be done?

Who or what can challenge, and stand a chance at beating, the corporate juggernauts dominating the world?
delete this game you cowards

Kevin Bacon
Sep 22, 2010

hoggers hero design is bad.

this is a good design:

d: you spawn at level 11 with boosted stats compared to other level 11s. you can never progress past level 11

q: passive ability where gnolls patrol an area around you and attack you if you get too close

w: nothing

e: nothing

ultimate 1: nothing
ultimate 2: nothing

no traits

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

Kevin Bacon posted:

hoggers hero design is bad.

this is a good design:

d: you spawn at level 11 with boosted stats compared to other level 11s. you can never progress past level 11

q: passive ability where gnolls patrol an area around you and attack you if you get too close

w: nothing

e: nothing

ultimate 1: nothing
ultimate 2: nothing

no traits

blizzard hire this goon and give them an immediate raise of double oatmeal rations

Semper Fudge
Feb 19, 2009

Pitchfork was wrong. (f)lowers of Algerbong is crap.
Was under the impression this game was in maintenance mode, but Hogger looks cool.

Is this worth getting back into or is it just desperately treading water?

Tenebrous Tourist
Aug 28, 2008

Semper Fudge posted:

Was under the impression this game was in maintenance mode, but Hogger looks cool.

I only play QM and ARAM, but I'm pretty much always able to find a game in 1-2 minutes. It definitely still has a playerbase.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Semper Fudge posted:

Some of the staff was miscategorized and avoided layoffs, and those three hots employees left are having more fun than anyone else at blizzard.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

Nybble posted:

Blizzard Make A Character Without A Stun Challenge

also yeah it's pretty extremely lol that they correctly identified that HOTS's overabundance of crowd control was such a problem that they needed to do a season where all players have a get out of jail free card and then added a character with multiple stuns and the ability to create terrain

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Can Hogger's little pile of trash block Deathwing

Half of Dracula
Oct 24, 2008

Perhaps the same could be

Macaluso posted:

I don't think other characters are supposed to be allowed to interact with deathwing

AtillatheBum
Oct 6, 2010

Justice ain't gonna dispense itself.

Macaluso posted:

It should, Deathwing has to respect terrain elements created by players like Leoric's Entomb or Sonya's Arreat Crater.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

Macaluso posted:

yes, big dog has to walk around it

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

You don't need thumbs for revenge

W.T. Fits posted:

In Vanilla WoW, Hogger was an Elite mob out in one of the low-level starting zones. He patrolled around an area where there was a quest to kill a bunch of normal gnolls for a bounty on them, and there was a similar bounty quest for killing him. Because of his relative power level compared to the trash mobs around him, he had a bit of a reputation for ruining lower level players' days by coming up on them while they were engaged fighting the normal trash mobs. He didn't really do much aside from auto-attacking, but at those low levels with not-so-great gear, those auto-attacks loving hurt like hell, and could very easily turn a fight from, "one more gnoll and I'm done with this quest," into, "OH JESUS gently caress gently caress GET AWAY... and I'm dead. gently caress!" Consequently, he became something of a meme among WoW players, touted as being just as deadly, if not more so, than most high-level raid bosses.

note that at one point, someone managed to gather a full 40 man raid of level 1 gnomes and they all killed him as if he was a raid boss

Nybble
Jun 28, 2008

praise chuck, raise heck

Orange Crush Rush posted:

note that at one point, someone managed to gather a full 40 man raid of level 1 gnomes and they all killed him as if he was a raid boss

god I love all WoW videos pre-2010, and I missed this at the time. perfect. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SskYtUzdwW4

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

and because blizzard hates fun, level 1 characters can no longer form raid groups

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

PTR notes are out. They've got Hogger's talents (reasonable, nothing particularly wowed me) and the removal of the Gladiator's Medallion with some fartwords about how it made BIG PLAYZ less common and that's bad because esports is all that matters. They also talk about how they're trying to figure out how to maybe bring something like it back in the future because CC chains are such an issue, which is infuriating because they've correctly identified the problem but just can't put together that the proper solution is culling the overabundance of CC instead of giving players a tiny shield to maybe deflect the bullet if they can manage to build the proper level of twitch reaction.

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

You don't need thumbs for revenge

Kith posted:

PTR notes are out. They've got Hogger's talents (reasonable, nothing particularly wowed me) and the removal of the Gladiator's Medallion with some fartwords about how it made BIG PLAYZ less common and that's bad because esports is all that matters. They also talk about how they're trying to figure out how to maybe bring something like it back in the future because CC chains are such an issue, which is infuriating because they've correctly identified the problem but just can't put together that the proper solution is culling the overabundance of CC instead of giving players a tiny shield to maybe deflect the bullet if they can manage to build the proper level of twitch reaction.

Thing is, all Medallion really did was force teams into stunlock -> dead team comps because Stuns kind of became the only type of CC that really mattered. So if Medallion was supposed to limit the CC meta game it kind of failed spectacularly.

skipThings
May 21, 2007

Tell me more about this
"Wireless fun-adaptor" you were speaking of.
Stuns are cool and great and murky is bad

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

Thing is, all Medallion really did was force teams into stunlock -> dead team comps because Stuns kind of became the only type of CC that really mattered. So if Medallion was supposed to limit the CC meta game it kind of failed spectacularly.

oh trust me, i noticed

Kith posted:

got invited to a placement gauntlet with some buds. trip report:

bad

this might be unique to my experience, but the gladiator's medallion has had the exact opposite effect that blizzard desired - people have been taking more and more hard cc to ensure that when their team catches someone, they can successfully lock them down once the unstoppable wears off. it was not uncommon for us to run into 3~4 stuns per team. uther is basically god right now. just walk into them and engage, follow up with divine storm when they try to do something about you.

skipThings posted:

Stuns are cool and great and murky is bad

the opposite of this post is true

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AtillatheBum
Oct 6, 2010

Justice ain't gonna dispense itself.
I will say between the increased move speed and the medallion playing KTZ is near pointless now. All he has is the combo and everyone gets a get out of jail free card every 5 minutes. Even with the medallion going away I hope they give him a small buff, just increasing the speed the chain moves at would be enough.