Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

enki42 posted:

If you grab a random can of tomatoes off a supermarket shelf, you're probably going to be disappointed.

Maybe this is different in different countries, but in the UK, pretty much every can of tomatoes is serviceable, I have never given the type of tomatoes in my tinned tomatoes any thought, I’ve only bought branded tins when supermarket own brand has been out of stock, I make tomato sauces all the time and I have literally never been disappointed by the quality of the tomatoes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Edit: I probably need to calm down about posh tomatoes

Scientastic fucked around with this message at 23:17 on Nov 23, 2020

enki42
Jun 11, 2001
#ATMLIVESMATTER

Put this Nazi-lover on ignore immediately!
I could totally buy that the average UK quality of tomatoes is comparable enough that you don't need to worry.

I'm actually making tomato sauce right now, and I had to use plain jane Unico tomatoes (they scaled up Covid restrictions today so everyone went completely insane on the weekend and our grocery store was low on stock). It's not like I'm not going to eat the sauce or anything, they're perfectly serviceable, but they're noticeably worse than the tomatoes I usually get.

For the relatively small premium, I think it's worth it. It's not like pasta with a marinara sauce is going to be a pricey dish even with bougie tomatoes.

two_beer_bishes
Jun 27, 2004
Any recommendations on a meat grinder/stuffer? I'd like to start making sausages but I don't want to spend more than $200. I have a kitchen-aid mixer but I'm not against getting a standalone.

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I been wantin to see a honkey dance.
For the sausage-dabbler, the metal KitchenAid attachment works great for grinding, using it for stuffing is rough though. It's pretty awkward and can be slow going, although you can get perfectly fine sausages out of it if you're patient. Even when I felt like I was getting the hang of it it was still frustrating to use pretty much every time. I upgraded to the LEM 5lb hand cranked vertical stuffer and never looked back. If you look around you can probably find them both for just under $200 total.

I also would recommend Homemade Sausage by Chris Carter and James Peisker, which has recipes for all your classic styles plus some more modern styles (kimchi sausage, winterwurst, etc.).

two_beer_bishes
Jun 27, 2004
Thanks for the info, I was really hoping I could get a single device that was capable of doing both. I might slum it with the attachment for a while to see if this is actually something I want to pursue then bite the bullet on something nicer if my wife decides my sausages are worth the expense :gizz:

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

two_beer_bishes posted:

Thanks for the info, I was really hoping I could get a single device that was capable of doing both. I might slum it with the attachment for a while to see if this is actually something I want to pursue then bite the bullet on something nicer if my wife decides my sausages are worth the expense :gizz:

That's what I did. I got the LEM stuffer because I wanted to try using sheep casing, which is smaller and more delicate than hog, and knew I'd probably literally cry trying to manage that with the KitchenAid. If you decide to stick with it the 5lb LEM is a must-buy.

But it's not all bad, I did manage to make these with the KitchenAid on my second or third attempt.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
I wanna eat your sausage.

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

How clean do you keep sheet pans?

At some point I got in the habit of using non-stick foil with my sheet pans for easy cleanup. Talking with friends it seemed like nobody else did that and maybe I was being needlessly wasteful. So I tried baking a potato right on the pan and it seemed to make a huge mess that took tons of scrubbing to clean up.

But maybe you don't need to scrub off the baked on oil? Is this just how sheet pans look after they've been used a few times?

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

McCracAttack posted:

At some point I got in the habit of using non-stick foil with my sheet pans for easy cleanup. Talking with friends it seemed like nobody else did that and maybe I was being needlessly wasteful. So I tried baking a potato right on the pan and it seemed to make a huge mess that took tons of scrubbing to clean up.

But maybe you don't need to scrub off the baked on oil? Is this just how sheet pans look after they've been used a few times?

I used to use foil on my sheet pans as well, but I really feel like it was keeping the stuff I was cooking on from achieving the browning I was looking for so I stopped. It does make it a bit more time-intensive to clean, but the two tricks I've found are to 1) wash the pan as soon as you're done cooking on it before the bits left behind have a chance to really dry and stick onto it, and 2) Bar Keeper's Friend for any hard-to-remove stains. On the pan in your picture, there's a ton of baked-on oil that I'd definitely try to remove.

It may also depend on the type/quality of the sheet pan you're using; I switched over exclusively to Nordic Ware half sheet pans, and I find them much easier to clean than the previous sheet pans I had of unknown provenance. YMMV.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

For a nonstick pan though I would skip the Barkeeper's friend. For nonstick stuff I think it just is what it is, you don't want to be abrading it too hard to get stuff off.

Edit: and yeah, I got a nordic ware aluminum sheet pan a while ago and it's pretty nice still. I use it less than some of the cheap pans I have, but it roasts squash and veggies without much buildup over the years.

Frozen potato stuff (and other frozen foods like that) seem to be the worst for the pans for what it's worth. Roasted veggies or even fresh potatoes don't seem to be as bad.

Eeyo fucked around with this message at 16:54 on Nov 24, 2020

enki42
Jun 11, 2001
#ATMLIVESMATTER

I switched over to plain jane aluminum sheet pans, and I find them a lot easier to deal with than the non-stick type, since I can just go nuts on them with steel wool / barkeeper's friend.

I try to keep the actual cooking surface free of anything and still looking shiny and new (corners are sometimes a bit of a mess, I do the best I can), but don't really bother with the underside.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Seconding Barkeeper's Friend.

If you don't have that, a dishwasher detergent soak works well. We use pods, so one of those dissolved in water worked a treat the other day.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
How much liquid smoke should I put in a 24-hour (single) turkey leg sous vide? MY WIFE wants a smoked turkey and smoking it or getting a smoked turkey isn’t happening.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
I feel like liquid smoke develops an off flavor if it's cooked too long (I've run into it in the crockpot, haven't tried it sous vide). I would add it before broiling. That works great for ribs and pulled pork, since they have so much surface area, but it might not be as great with a turkey leg.

Have you looked for smoked legs? I was at the grocery store last night and they had vacuum-sealed two-packs of smoked drums.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

McCracAttack posted:

In my experience sheet pans all look like this eventually. You can scrub all day and there's still a patina on it that won't come off. It doesn't really matter, as long as you cleaned the actual food off then the discoloration is whatever.

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

two_beer_bishes posted:

i am a sausage dabbler, i stuffed with the grinder attachment the first couple times, and imo its not worth the hassle. get even a super cheap stuffer, it will make your life much much easier. not only is the grinder attachment not great at stuffing, it's suspended way above your counter so you'll have to set up some sort of platform to extrude your sausages onto or you'll be fighting gravity pulling your sausage casing off the stuffer tube with one hand while feeding the grinder with your other hand

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

BraveUlysses posted:

ive come away really dissapointed from a few brands of DOP san marzanos in the past 6 months, cento and Carmelina, where i found skins still on them, or spoiled portions of the tomatoes. gently caress digging through every can to carefully examine the contents, that's not what you should have to do with canned goods.

Watch out for the ones labelled 'San Marzano' in big letters but actually grown in Texas tho

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

feedmegin posted:

Watch out for the ones labelled 'San Marzano' in big letters but actually grown in Texas tho

oh yeah i'm aware, i dont know if i actually care that much anymore if they're grown in italy or not, i just dont want lovely tomatoes

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

Grand Fromage posted:

In my experience sheet pans all look like this eventually. You can scrub all day and there's still a patina on it that won't come off. It doesn't really matter, as long as you cleaned the actual food off then the discoloration is whatever.

Same, most of my sheet pans look like this. For the most part it’s just a patina or an oil varnish, neither of which are harmful to the taste of the end product to the best of my knowledge. Will it give you cancer? Maybe, I’m not an expert there.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

Lawnie posted:

Same, most of my sheet pans look like this. For the most part it’s just a patina or an oil varnish, neither of which are harmful to the taste of the end product to the best of my knowledge. Will it give you cancer? Maybe, I’m not an expert there.

Well it's just like the seasoning on cast iron, so i think it will be fine.

Whether it makes nonstick pans better or worse is another question though.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

Eeyo posted:

Well it's just like the seasoning on cast iron, so i think it will be fine.

Whether it makes nonstick pans better or worse is another question though.

I don’t think it’s very likely that anything you could produce in a home kitchen would come close to the lubricity of Teflon, but I’ve been surprised by coatings before.

enki42
Jun 11, 2001
#ATMLIVESMATTER

I can definitely say that using anything heavy duty (steel wool, barkeepers friend, comet) to clean up discoloration is a billion times more likely to be unhealthy from ripping up the nonstick coating.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

Lawnie posted:

I don’t think it’s very likely that anything you could produce in a home kitchen would come close to the lubricity of Teflon, but I’ve been surprised by coatings before.

Oh haha I mean healthwise. Like does polymerizing the fat on teflon (or whatever they use these days) make it worse somehow?

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Eeyo posted:

Oh haha I mean healthwise. Like does polymerizing the fat on teflon (or whatever they use these days) make it worse somehow?
The answer to that question is basically an elaborate flowchart with a lot of ancillary charts and tables. Fully polymerised oils are going to be very safe, in the sense that their potential for causing illness (except in crazy edge cases where you're scraping off a kilo of seasoning and eating it by itself or something crazy like that) is going to be lower that e.g. the food that's being cooked on the seasoned surface.

Getting to a seasoned surface, however, produces a whole laundry list of nasty poo poo that you really don't want to eat (or breathe). And since e.g. the combustion and polymerisation processes that produce the seasoning are inherently stochastic, you're almost certainly going to always have a surface that has some combination of fully polymerised oil and e.g. volatile aldehydes. So in that sense the surface is almost certainly going to have some non-zero health risks associated with it that wouldn't be present in a e.g. clean ceramic (or other inert) surface. Buuuuut...since the source of this stuff is the combustion of cooking oils, you're likely to get some of them just from the, you know, cooking. So it wouldn't surprise me if this was all rounding error compared to the nice steaming plate of aggregate risk that whatever it is you're cooking represents. Don't know if anyone's actually produced numbers on the subject, though.

That's sorta the punchline to a lot of questions about health risks in and around the kitchen: there are a lot of fiddly things you can fret about to adjust your risk by tiny amounts, but most of the overall risks are represented by a small number of comparatively boring things. You're way more likely to die due to a kitchen fire than you are to drop dead from polymer fume fever, but how frequently do people post to fret about the supposed dangers of Teflon pans versus making sure that you a) have a fire extinguisher and b) it's charged?

two_beer_bishes
Jun 27, 2004

Jenny Agutter posted:

i am a sausage dabbler, i stuffed with the grinder attachment the first couple times, and imo its not worth the hassle. get even a super cheap stuffer, it will make your life much much easier. not only is the grinder attachment not great at stuffing, it's suspended way above your counter so you'll have to set up some sort of platform to extrude your sausages onto or you'll be fighting gravity pulling your sausage casing off the stuffer tube with one hand while feeding the grinder with your other hand

That's a good point I hadn't thought of. Looks like I can get a grinder and a 2.5lb stuffer for around $140 which will be tolerable for getting my feet wet with this stuff. I won't expect either to last forever but I just don't want to drop $600 on some really nice equipment if it's going to sit in my shed.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
How does the kitchen aid grinder attachment work if I just want to grind steak into fresh burger meat?

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

Beautifully. You'll want the all metal one

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

poo poo POST MALONE posted:

How does the kitchen aid grinder attachment work if I just want to grind steak into fresh burger meat?

I’ve been using the plastic one for years with no problem. Couple of notes, you’ll want to chill meat in the freezer for twenty minutes or so before grinding it, makes it way easier to handle. Also, and I don’t know if this happens with the metal one, but you’ll infrequently get a bit of grey goo come out which I assume is a product of animal fat meeting a revolving metal spindle. Get in the habit of fishing those out.

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
I'm also ok with the plastic one and I put the whole drat thing in the freezer with the meat for those 20 mins

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

I also have the plastic Kitchenaid grinder, and also put the whole assembly into the freezer with the meat. I actually permanently store the die and all metal pieces in the freezer, just because.

One tip I have with it is to cut your cubes of meat slightly smaller than you think you'd need; just because it fits down the feed tube into the worm gear doesn't mean it's going to be happy moving a large, semi-frozen chunk of meat without protesting. After I started cubing the meat slightly smaller (ground chuck is the only thing I've ground thus far), it's gone much more quickly and easily.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Smokehouse chef makes a metal KA attachment. Really like it for not much more cost.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

I have never frozen my meat before grinding, what am I missing out on by not doing so?

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

Scientastic posted:

I have never frozen my meat before grinding, what am I missing out on by not doing so?

It goes through easier and doesn't stick together and form a sludge

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

Scientastic posted:

Better grind, faster throughput.

Tibalt
May 14, 2017

What, drawn, and talk of peace! I hate the word, As I hate hell, all Montagues, and thee

I have a recipe for bone-in beef short ribs, and long story short I have chuck roast instead. Can I modify the recipe to use chuck roast instead, and if so, how should I do it?

Alternatively do I need to start calling around to butchers for tomorrow?

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

I am looking for cookware advice. I cook for my family daily, but am still using some old beat up pots and pans from target or some equally cheap mass produced stuff. My wife gave me the go ahead to pick out what I want for my birthday, but I really don't know poo poo about what is the best etc. I have no idea what a reasonable budget for a full cookware set is. I can afford to get something quality without going with the gold plated jeff bezos set. I use everything from various pots, pans/skillets of all sizes, baking sheets, etc so a full set would be ideal.

I want to prioritize quality and ease of cleaning. I am hoping I can find a black friday deal as well, but if not that is ok. I would guess at a max budget of $500 although cheaper is always better without sacrificing quality? The goal is for these to last a really long time. Also, if I need to have a certain type of cooking utensils so they don't get scratched (I believe that is a thing with nicer stuff?) that is fine too. Our range is an electric one where the top is smooth if that matters.

Can someone point me to the brand I should be looking at or even a specific set if there is a best in class option?

Edit: Oh and I already have a cast iron that I break out when I am really wanting to cook something nice, but honestly I don't use it that often because I am lazy and it takes longer to properly clean so I don't need cast iron recommendations at the moment.

Edit 2: Oh yeah is there any good recommendations for quality oven mitts? I am tired of burning my hand with our lovely ones if I hold something too long getting it out of the oven.

D-Pad fucked around with this message at 18:02 on Nov 25, 2020

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

D-Pad posted:

I am looking for cookware advice.

Here's some reading on Wirecutter that should get you on the right track.

The Best Cookware Set
Build Your Own Cookware Set

Building your own piece by piece would be better but if you don't really have strong opinions on cookware then a bundled set will get you 75% of the way there. Then as you use it you'll start to say things like, "Hmm, I wish this skillet was a bit deeper." and then you'll go out and buy exactly what you want from there.

D-Pad posted:

Edit 2: Oh yeah is there any good recommendations for quality oven mitts? I am tired of burning my hand with our lovely ones if I hold something too long getting it out of the oven.

The Best Oven Mitts and Pot Holders

They really should be paying me at this point.

enki42
Jun 11, 2001
#ATMLIVESMATTER

I don't know enough about specific brands to say you should buy specifically this or that, but here's what's worked well for me as overall general advice:

• You only need one non-stick saute pan, for eggs and not much else. (maybe an exception would be if you want one that's a good size for omelettes and a larger one). Non-stick stuff is going to have a WAY shorter shelf life than anything else you own, and doesn't perform as well for anything you want to be be browned, so use it as infrequently as possible (again, mostly just eggs).
  • I'd personally recommend getting individual pieces over a set unless there was a really good deal or a consistent look is important to you. With individual pieces, you will end up with fewer unnecessary pots and pans, and you can optimize each item for what you're looking for rather than having to find a set that matches everything you need.
  • For pots, if it's reasonably weighty and stainless steel, it will probably last quite a while. Consider what you're going to be doing with it, and purchase accordingly (for example, I have a reasonably sturdy, heavy saucier, but my little pot that's used for maybe boiling eggs and cooking vegetables is a cheapo IKEA one since you don't need much to occasionally boil things in water).
  • Speaking of the above, sauciers are really useful pans that can easily take the place of one of your mid-sized pots, and are super versatile.
  • Prioritize getting a really weighty saute pan, ideally with a copper core. Mine is from Walmart and probably isn't a super fancy brand, but has a copper core, is sturdy as gently caress, and performs super well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

What type of stove do you have? Is it regular electric, or induction?

Scientastic fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Nov 25, 2020