Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

gradenko_2000 posted:

whatever you do, please don't sell your game to shady Russian mobsters

we've long needed a successor to Distant Guns and Jutland

Isn't Ultimate admiral: Dreadnaughts, the successor to Jutland?

I kinda wish UA:D simulated crew, even if super abstracted the way Jutland did it. Without little things like that you get the strange phenomenon where a ship can have 900 holes in it and be totally aflame but until that final 1% drops it's still a fully functional ship able to accurately return fire. In Jutland a few unlucky hits to key places could cause enough crew death and fires that you had already lost and be combat ineffective even if it'd take another hour to actually have to abandon ship.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

"Democracy for the insignificant minority, democracy for the rich--that is the democracy of capitalist society." VI Lenin

[/quote]

Gewehr 43 posted:

What's the tl;dr of what I missed here?

TL;DR

Norm Koger and Jim Rose started a digital distribution platform to sell their two games covering surface warfare during the Russo-Japanese and First World Wars.

A couple days after pushing an update that broke the games they sold the digital distribution platform AND the games to some Russians, who continued to sell the broken games they refused to fix for $80+ a pop for over a year and lost a bunch of records for people who owned licenses.

My understanding is you can buy these games now and they work—mostly.

Slightly Longer Version

Norm Koger and Jim Rose made two pretty good naval games, and pretty beautiful games (for the mid-2000s) too, covering the Russo-Japanese war (Distant Guns) and the First World War in the North Sea (Jutland!) in the mid-2000s.

Unfortunately the company they founded to publish those games—Storm Eagle Studios (“SES”)—was also an attempt to build a digital distribution platform with a really lovely DRM.

So they launched and continued to develop these games until around 2010. Around that time, Norm and Jim released an update that made it impossible for you to properly order your ships to turn, and they never fixed it because like 2 days later they were like:

“Peace out. Nobody wants to use our digital distribution platform, so we are done. We have sold the platform, SES, and the games to these Russian dudes we met on the dark web and talked to for like 5 minutes last night... but don’t worry, they’re cool dudes!”

When the Russians took over, they continued to sell the broken games, didn’t answer any CS tickets, or respond to the community at all. This lasted for a year until they finally got someone to fix it.

But I still cannot recover my licenses for these two $80+ games.

ZombieLenin fucked around with this message at 21:15 on Nov 24, 2020

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

fuf posted:

I know it's a joke but a grog twitch channel opening with an Enoch Powell quote might accidentally draw the wrong crowd!

You're right, but have you considered that that's the exact right crowd to draw in to take the piss out of?

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

The Geoff posted:

I've actually been thinking about a few ways to improve this. What did you have in mind for the controls? More direct control over ship speed / heading?

As a minimum, yes. Half or full isn't quite as granular as people would like, even if most of us hit full speed and leave it there. Some control over formations would be nice, as would target selection.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

mllaneza posted:

As a minimum, yes. Half or full isn't quite as granular as people would like, even if most of us hit full speed and leave it there. Some control over formations would be nice, as would target selection.

Target selection is the most important one, I'd say. Also, a separate RoE for torpedoes would be very handy, as well as visual representation of the various weapon types.

Abongination
Aug 18, 2010

Life, it's the shit that happens while you're waiting for moments that never come.
Pillbug
I bought the prominently advertised mobile game Pacific War from wirraway games goon.

If I ever get around to actually playing a mobile game I will post a review.

Flannelette
Jan 17, 2010

ZombieLenin posted:

TL;DR

Norm Koger and Jim Rose started a digital distribution platform to sell their two games covering surface warfare during the Russo-Japanese and First World Wars.

A couple days after pushing an update that broke the games they sold the digital distribution platform AND the games to some Russians, who continued to sell the broken games they refused to fix for $80+ a pop for over a year and lost a bunch of records for people who owned licenses.

My understanding is you can buy these games now and they work—mostly.

Slightly Longer Version

Norm Koger and Jim Rose made two pretty good naval games, and pretty beautiful games (for the mid-2000s) too, covering the Russo-Japanese war (Distant Guns) and the First World War in the North Sea (Jutland!) in the mid-2000s.

Unfortunately the company they founded to publish those games—Storm Eagle Studios (“SES”)—was also an attempt to build a digital distribution platform with a really lovely DRM.

So they launched and continued to develop these games until around 2010. Around that time, Norm and Jim released an update that made it impossible for you to properly order your ships to turn, and they never fixed it because like 2 days later they were like:

“Peace out. Nobody wants to use our digital distribution platform, so we are done. We have sold the platform, SES, and the games to these Russian dudes we met on the dark web and talked to for like 5 minutes last night... but don’t worry, they’re cool dudes!”

When the Russians took over, they continued to sell the broken games, didn’t answer any CS tickets, or respond to the community at all. This lasted for a year until they finally got someone to fix it.

But I still cannot recover my licenses for these two $80+ games.

:wtc: grognard game devs!?
Guess I won't be playing that game again if I want to.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

Stairmaster posted:

Google isn't returning poo poo how the gently caress do I unmark a system as grav survey'd so I can find the dormant jump points.

It looks like the old button is gone, so I would just SM-mode click Full Grav Survey in the System window. Should work, or if you can detect them transiting on active sensors that will work too.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Youtube just recommended me a video from The Historical Gamer playing Infernal Ocean: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wpcxSftyyCQ

Youtube has it flagged as being for World of Warships. :v:

The Geoff
Oct 11, 2009

Zaodai posted:

Youtube just recommended me a video from The Historical Gamer playing Infernal Ocean: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wpcxSftyyCQ

Youtube has it flagged as being for World of Warships. :v:

It's been getting some great attention over the past couple of days! There are some influential people in this thread :ninja:

Abongination posted:

I bought the prominently advertised mobile game Pacific War from wirraway games goon.

If I ever get around to actually playing a mobile game I will post a review.

Thank you! Interested to hear what you think. It has come a long way since I first posted about it here.

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

I don't think she likes the special sauce, Rick.

The Geoff posted:

It's been getting some great attention over the past couple of days! There are some influential people in this thread :ninja:

The comments there are really encouraging, nice work! Congratulations slash condolences on your new project.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
Bismarck paint isn't right for the May 1941, I demand you fix this ASAP or I will post negative comments about your game on every YouTube video I find.

The Geoff
Oct 11, 2009

Popete posted:

Bismarck paint isn't right for the May 1941, I demand you fix this ASAP or I will post negative comments about your game on every YouTube video I find.

Ahh, the true grog game development experience. The paint scheme will be fixed in the next patch, which will cost just $49.99. Once you have mailed the cheque please tune your shortwave radio to 4625 kHz and await your activation code.

Thanks for letting me know!

Ghost of Mussolini
Jun 26, 2011

The Geoff posted:

Ahh, the true grog game development experience. The paint scheme will be fixed in the next patch, which will cost just $49.99. Once you have mailed the cheque please tune your shortwave radio to 4625 kHz and await your activation code.

Thanks for letting me know!

If I may be pedantic, in a hopefully helpful way, the destroyers that appear in the "default" game-mode are not the right ones. I assume the default mode takes place on May 24 as HMS Hood is still afloat, and at that time, the DDs that appear in the scenario should not be there.

The HMS Cossack division (which also included Maori, Zulu, Sikh, and Piroun) did engage Bismarck, but only later. On May 24, they had still not been detached from convoy duty.

The destroyers which accompanied PoW and Hood on May 24 were Achates, Antelope, Anthony (A class), Echo, Electra (E class), Icarus (I class).

e: any chance of modelling aircraft (search and Swordfish)?

Dimitris
Apr 11, 2017

by Fluffdaddy
CMO is 30% off at Steam and MatrixGames:
https://www.matrixgames.com/game/command-modern-operations
https://store.steampowered.com/app/1076160/Command_Modern_Operations/

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
Only $100 to play it with Tacview :negative:

Dimitris
Apr 11, 2017

by Fluffdaddy
The price of Tacview Advanced is outside the control of WS & MG/Slith.

That said, Tacview has a 3-week trial period (for the Advanced features, incl. connectivity with CMO) during which you can use it with CMO and see if it's worth for you the extra cost.

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

"Democracy for the insignificant minority, democracy for the rich--that is the democracy of capitalist society." VI Lenin

[/quote]

Popete posted:

True. My only complaint, if you can really call it that, is Bismarck seems way too explodey. Just think of the battering Bismarck took from Rodney and KGV on May 27, 1941—until Bismarck was a floating rubble pile; and she was ultimately scuttled.

Given this it seems way to easy to achieve a magazine explosion.

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

I don't think she likes the special sauce, Rick.

To actually see a Combat Mission game, on Steam, on sale, for 30% off, is very very weird.

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Looking at the Matrix sale with my anniversary coupon, I'm looking at either Panzercorps 2 or Fantasy General 2. Anyone played both have an opinion on which is better? I liked both Panzer General and Fantasy General back in the day, so happy with either setting.

The Geoff
Oct 11, 2009

Ghost of Mussolini posted:

If I may be pedantic, in a hopefully helpful way, the destroyers that appear in the "default" game-mode are not the right ones. I assume the default mode takes place on May 24 as HMS Hood is still afloat, and at that time, the DDs that appear in the scenario should not be there.

The HMS Cossack division (which also included Maori, Zulu, Sikh, and Piroun) did engage Bismarck, but only later. On May 24, they had still not been detached from convoy duty.

The destroyers which accompanied PoW and Hood on May 24 were Achates, Antelope, Anthony (A class), Echo, Electra (E class), Icarus (I class).

e: any chance of modelling aircraft (search and Swordfish)?

Ah, that was a dumb mistake on my part. The book I was referring to refers to 'the British destroyer group' being split off before the battle then later describes the actions of Maori, Cossack, Sikh, etc. I didn't think to check if they were actually the same group. Thanks! Yes, I plan to add aircraft in future - although the focus will remain on surface combat.

ZombieLenin posted:

True. My only complaint, if you can really call it that, is Bismarck seems way too explodey. Just think of the battering Bismarck took from Rodney and KGV on May 27, 1941—until Bismarck was a floating rubble pile; and she was ultimately scuttled.

Given this it seems way to easy to achieve a magazine explosion.

I will be significantly reducing the chances of magazine explosions in future - it's way too common at the moment.

Ghost of Mussolini
Jun 26, 2011

The Geoff posted:

Ah, that was a dumb mistake on my part. The book I was referring to refers to 'the British destroyer group' being split off before the battle then later describes the actions of Maori, Cossack, Sikh, etc. I didn't think to check if they were actually the same group. Thanks! Yes, I plan to add aircraft in future - although the focus will remain on surface combat.

The book I have on the action is "Killing the Bismarck" by Ian Ballantyne. It's not a historical work, the author is more of a journalist/"popular" historian, but it holds up alright and has quite a bit of detail.

Good luck with the project!

Serpentis
May 31, 2011

Well, if I really HAVE to shoot you in the bollocks to shut you up, then I guess I'll need to, post-haste, for everyone else's sake.

V for Vegas posted:

Looking at the Matrix sale with my anniversary coupon, I'm looking at either Panzercorps 2 or Fantasy General 2. Anyone played both have an opinion on which is better? I liked both Panzer General and Fantasy General back in the day, so happy with either setting.

Can't comment on FG2, but I'm still fond of Panzer Corps 2 and can recommend it pretty wholeheartedly if you've got a discount coupon. There's a lot of familiarity with PzCorps 1 if you played that, and you'll know the basics if you played Panzer General too, but they've added a few wrinkles and gotten better with different mission formats to break up the usual flow (which I've rambled on about enough in this thread).

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes

Ghost of Mussolini posted:

The book I have on the action is "Killing the Bismarck" by Ian Ballantyne. It's not a historical work, the author is more of a journalist/"popular" historian, but it holds up alright and has quite a bit of detail.

I was very much not expecting to find someone with almost the same name, from the same area, who also works with WWII pop history today, and yet here I am.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
Thanks to an anniversary coupon and the holiday sale I picked up PG2 plus both DLCs for $38 total :eyepop:

I was sold on the fact that there are so few games focusing on the spanish civil war. That's neat.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
Oh my god War in the East 2 is real and supposedly there's a teaser stream next Thursday

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

[/quote]

NUMBER 1 FULCI FAN posted:

Oh my god War in the East 2 is real and supposedly there's a teaser stream next Thursday

They remade the wrong game. WiTP2 is what they should of spent their time and money on—not for economic reasons, but because that’s what I
want to play.

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Its almost like we're a Bureaucracy, in space!

I set sail for the Planet of Lab Requisitions!!

NUMBER 1 FULCI FAN posted:

You could have told me that screenshot was from WitE 1 and I couldn't tell the difference.

Does WitE even need a remake?

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Saros posted:

You could have told me that screenshot was from WitE 1 and I couldn't tell the difference.

Does WitE even need a remake?

1. That's not a screenshot of WITE 2

2. They want to do a sequel so they can integrate it with the engine used to drive WITW. The biggest new feature would be being able to use WITW's air war system, but also, it would allow them to ditch the "arbitary" WITE rule where every hex deeper into Russia takes a 1% penalty in supply throughput and instead do a "full/realistic" logistics simulation using WITW's depot and real-throughput model.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
While Panzer Corps 2 seems interesting, it still falls on what seems to be a never ending obsession with the content being German exclusive with a few drops of non-nazi content sometimes being thrown in which ends up being frankly boring.

I took advantage of the August sale to get all the content that i was missing from Order of Battle. Now i can finally do Pearl Harbor, defend against the Germans in Kursk and use trusty Ghurkas to clear a path in Burma :getin:

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

[/quote]

gradenko_2000 posted:

2. They want to do a sequel so they can integrate it with the engine used to drive WITW. The biggest new feature would be being able to use WITW's air war system, but also, it would allow them to ditch the "arbitary" WITE rule where every hex deeper into Russia takes a 1% penalty in supply throughput and instead do a "full/realistic" logistics simulation using WITW's depot and real-throughput model.

Yeah, but multiplayer will still be an ahistorical poo poo show with German panzer balls, Russian checkers deployments, and people who refuse to pursue what would have been real operational priorities for either side.

This happens to an extent in WiTP:AE, but you can almost always find people who agree to not do ahistorical bullshit like invade the US as Japan, or refuse to Sir Robin as the allies. I have not found this to be the case with WiTE.

Edit

Also, WITW is the most boring grog game I’ve ever played on a PC. WiTE and WiTP give each side the opportunity to be on the offensive and defensive. WITW just locks you in to one or the other based on your starting side.

I mean, I suppose I guess I understand why they chose to only cover 1942 - 1945 in WITW, but it makes—for me at least—an excruciatingly boring game.

ZombieLenin fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Nov 28, 2020

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

gradenko_2000 posted:

Oh whoops I was bamboozled

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

ZombieLenin posted:

Yeah, but multiplayer will still be an ahistorical poo poo show with German panzer balls, Russian checkers deployments, and people who refuse to pursue what would have been real operational priorities for either side.

This happens to an extent in WiTP:AE, but you can almost always find people who agree to not do ahistorical bullshit like invade the US as Japan, or refuse to Sir Robin as the allies. I have not found this to be the case with WiTE.

oh yeah, I've long maintained that trying to make WITE "more realistic" is a fool's errand because there's always going to be some fundamental abstractions at play no matter what you do, which is why I used a bunch of scare quotes in my previous post. I was just pointing out that that's why they want to do a WITE 2, misguided as it may well be regardless.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Last time I played WITE I won the war in 1942 as the Soviets. Like I was invading Germany by summer 42.

Obfuscation
Jan 1, 2008
Good luck to you, I know you believe in hell

Phi230 posted:

Last time I played WITE I won the war in 1942 as the Soviets. Like I was invading Germany by summer 42.

But how could it be unrealistic when there’s so many different numbers to look at

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Obfuscation posted:

But how could it be unrealistic when there’s so many different numbers to look at

Romania and Bulgaria surrendered before I even recaptured Ukraine

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

ZombieLenin posted:

They remade the wrong game. WiTP2 is what they should of spent their time and money on—not for economic reasons, but because that’s what I
want to play.

:hmmyes: WitP2 is my dream game

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
It looks like Warplan is getting a spinoff to cover Asia called Warplan Pacific

ZekeNY
Jun 13, 2013

Probably AFK

Bold Robot posted:

:hmmyes: WitP2 is my dream game