Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Endorph posted:

the gag where astrid made hom 1cm taller than cory is really funny tho

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

if astrid just kept dunking on the girls instead of creeping on them shed be 100x better

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
just play lydie and suelle if you want to see girls bully the crap out of everyone

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!

that’s it. I guess subconsciously I remembered it when I just saw the scene recently

I don’t really have much else to add to Astrid discourse because I hear she’s written worse in later games I haven’t played. I would compare Astrid to Lent’s dad but I don’t think that’s actually remotely fair, since I don’t think the player is really supposed to think the stuff Astrid does is that bad in the end

Bokunenjin
Nov 30, 2012

Not really related to her character I guess but I just finished Totori and the true ending where Astrid resurrects Totori's mom somehow is bad too.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Meruru is much more of a comedy than Rorona or Totori so all the characters tend to lose a bit of depth and focus on their funniest traits, which in Astrid's case leads to her being an even worse person than in Rorona

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Bokunenjin posted:

Not really related to her character I guess but I just finished Totori and the true ending where Astrid resurrects Totori's mom somehow is bad too.

no it isn't because you get to imagine those two making out

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Bokunenjin posted:

Yeah the true ending kinda sucks in Totori and undermines the narrative of the game leading up to it

My favorite ending is probably the Mel ending because it's secretly the Ceci ending

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

(n o i c e)

Snooze Cruise posted:

no it isn't because you get to imagine those two making out

Astrid is never allowed to get laid.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Ryza 2 comes out one week and 7 hours from now in Japan.

They'll be hosting a live stream on the 26th at 9pm JST / 7am EST

https://twitter.com/GustAtelierPR/status/1328268857841106946

Dehry fucked around with this message at 09:15 on Nov 25, 2020

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I don't know how anyone could meet Mimi in Totori and not just beeline towards her ending at the expense of everything else.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

(n o i c e)
Because Mel and Rorona are cooler??

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

In Meruru they bring up Atelier Totori’s “true” ending so I guess it’s canon, i didn’t know what the true ending was until then, and I gotta say, i kinda hate it

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
Yeah they meant well with it, but it doesn't fit the rest of the game's message at all.

And Mimi is the best.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
she really is

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

imo mimi would be insufferable without totori but theyre great as a couple

KariOhki
Apr 22, 2008
When I played Meruru for the first time back in the year it released and it hit me with the Totori true ending spoilers, I was a bit mad since I barely scraped my way to the normal ending in Totori and now I knew what happened in the true ending with no effort.

Still never got the true ending, I was doing a platinum trophy run and kept falling behind where I should've been so I gave up. Twice.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

(n o i c e)
Love yourself. It's not worth it.

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

I wish Atelier Rorona had a hard mode. I’m not sure it would really work but Rorona is taking 1 damage from everything right now so I feel like the enemies could use a little more bite.

I liked Ayesha’s hard mode because some areas wound up being genuinely dangerous and I would have to gear up to explore them. It making things take longer to synthesize was admittedly depraved.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Bokunenjin posted:

I thought it was less that and more she found Totori's mum, near death but alive on a beach somewhere because she somehow survived, despite appearing dead and being given a viking funeral and floating out at sea unconscious. Because Totori's mum is just that absurdly tough.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Okay, so there's four separate games in the OP recommended as one to start with. Is there a way to narrow that down a little? I have a Switch and want to check out what else the RPG world has to offer me.
Are all of these games in the same setting? Is there voice acting and are any of them dubbed? How badly does everyone mispronounce "Atelier"? Is all the DLC cosmetic or is there story/gameplay stuff buried in there? Sorry, this is probably a lot of questions. I opened the store and typed "Atelier" and between the games, bundles, delixe editions, and 90 DLC I got choice paralysis.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

YggiDee posted:

Okay, so there's four separate games in the OP recommended as one to start with. Is there a way to narrow that down a little? I have a Switch and want to check out what else the RPG world has to offer me.
Are all of these games in the same setting? Is there voice acting and are any of them dubbed? How badly does everyone mispronounce "Atelier"? Is all the DLC cosmetic or is there story/gameplay stuff buried in there? Sorry, this is probably a lot of questions. I opened the store and typed "Atelier" and between the games, bundles, delixe editions, and 90 DLC I got choice paralysis.

If you're looking for Switch games, all of the modern ones other than Sophie and Firis have been on it. Each of the trilogies I separated out starts over from a fresh setting.

All of the ones from Rorona to Firis have dubs and they're pretty good. The most recent few do not have dubs. Atelier is either pronounced as a-tell-ee-er or at-lee-er, never as the correct attleyay.

The ports of the Arland and Dusk games had DLC which is all included. The games natively on switch (L&S, Lulua, Ryza) have real DLC but I haven't played any of it. They range from just costumes to adding additional characters.

As for the four I recommend in the OP, here's how I'd describe their strengths: Rorona is the cutest/most charming and has time management as its subgenre. Ayesha has the best story and has more of a feeling of adventure, but has the most simplistic gameplay. L&S has a fully realized puzzle game as its subgenre and is by far the largest game on the list. Ryza has a more standard JRPG story with an Atelier flair and transfers a lot of the complexity out of the crafting and into the combat compared to the other recent games.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

in order:

1) There's four trilogies of games in the modern atelier series.

Arland: Rorona, Totori, Meruru
Dusk: Ayesha, Escha and Logy, Shallie
Mysterious: Sophie, Firis, Lydie & Suelle
Secret: Ryza, Ryza 2, ???

The games that are in the same trilogy share the same setting and characters. The games that are separate trilogies do not. So Meruru is a direct sequel to Totori, but Ayesha is its own setting with its own characters and no connections to the previous trilogy.

2) There is voice acting. The first two trilogies are fully dubbed, but they stopped dubbing the games in the Mysterious trilogy.

3) It varies.

4) It varies. The Dusk and Arland games on Switch all have all the DLC bundled in with them. The Mysterious games have some fairly significant gameplay DLC that adds new party members. Ryza's DLC is just sidequests for each party member, not new party members.

5) Which one to start with depends what sorts of things you enjoy. Ayesha and the Dusk Trilogy in general have the best writing and the most interesting setting, since it's a dying world with steampunk and post-apocalyptic aspects rather than a generic fantasy world, Lydie & Suelle is probably the best at executing the series' blend of crafting and character writing, Rorona is the starting point of the modern series, Ryza is the most recent game and leans more traditional JRPG. Which one of those sounds better to you?

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
Arland (minus Lulua) and Dusk trilogies are dubbed.

Sophie and Firis are dubbed with a rougher translation (and are rougher games in general.)

Each trilogy/quadrilogy have their own setting with the games tending to follow a chronological order (with previous heroines usually becoming mentors to the next gen but not always)

Most of the dlc is cosmetic outside of the ones that add characters to your party. Newer games tend to add new areas in dlc packs but those aren't really needed.

I'd recommend Ayesha or Rorona as your starting point. The big difference between them being time management is a much bigger focus in the Arland games (though they aren't incredibly stressful in the DX versions you'll find on Switch.) Ayesha's only real time limit affects the true ending.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Lydie & Suelle's DLC is probably the most obnoxious since the game has a rival character who is clearly meant to complete her arc by joining the party but her joining the party is DLC. Like it's full on her slowly gaining respect for the protags, helping them once, and then... if you wanna actually use her in battle pay up lol

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Wilbell being DLC in Escha and Logy is pretty egregious too but at least she's bundled in the ports.

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Where’s my drat Bos DLC. Still mad

e: he’s basically the deuteragonist!!

nrook fucked around with this message at 01:48 on Nov 27, 2020

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
He shouldn't be Ryza DLC but he should be playable in Ryza 2. Maybe in Ryza 3. I'm also hoping for the final boss of Ryza to be playable, they've been on a run of playable final bosses recently between Alt and Ficus

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.
while i really liked ayesha i can't say that i had the easiest time getting its crafting system right

L&S is a much more beginner-friendly entry in comparison

cheetah7071 posted:

Wilbell being DLC in Escha and Logy is pretty egregious too but at least she's bundled in the ports.

from all indications i saw, gust's reaction to the inevitable backlash was "what's your deal?? we were planning on making her the first DLC character"

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I'm actually surprised to hear you say that since I think Ayesha's crafting is incredibly simplistic compared to the games on either side of it.

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.
i was seriously blundering through ayesha the entire game, crafting-wise, never learned how to optimize anything, and then i got to the point i had to ask for help on how to get past the penultimate story boss; i haven't played meruru, but eschatology's crafting was much quicker for me to master by comparison

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
The secret is that you weren't missing anything and there's nothing to master. You can't even inherit traits until the very end of the game.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
I don't know how to word this without sounding awkward but are these games horny? My only experience with Gust is the Ar Tonelico franchise and those were way too horny for me.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

It varies but the series is always way less horny than basically all of GUST's other recently active IPs. Arland has some iffy jokes but I think that's the most extreme it gets.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

YggiDee posted:

I don't know how to word this without sounding awkward but are these games horny? My only experience with Gust is the Ar Tonelico franchise and those were way too horny for me.

Not really. A few horny outfits here and there but nothing really emphasizing it. Theres a few moments in Rorona where characters gets uncomfortably handsy with the poor girl. Enough that I put a content warning up for it. It's a handful of scattered scenes rather than permeating the game but I wouldn't blame anyone who avoided the game because of it

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Alrighty then, I'm checking out Ayesha.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

I’ve played Rorona, Totori, and Meruru now, and as far as I could tell, the only “multi-panel” “event still” in each of the games is, respectively: bikini vacation to please the sex pest alchemy shop owner; swimsuit competition organized by the resident creepo; naked hot spring fun times, just us girls

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

I always sort of liked ayesha's crafting system not because it was any good, but because how simple it was correlates to the story, Ayesha is an alchemy savant.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Jay Rust posted:

I’ve played Rorona, Totori, and Meruru now, and as far as I could tell, the only “multi-panel” “event still” in each of the games is, respectively: bikini vacation to please the sex pest alchemy shop owner; swimsuit competition organized by the resident creepo; naked hot spring fun times, just us girls

the arland games have a bit of that stuff, the dusk series has basically none of that stuff (theres one hot springs cg in ayesha and thats it, and it isnt exactly a sexualized thing, its literally just them going to a hot spring), the mysterious series has a tiny bit but less than arland, ryza has a couple fanservicey designs but there's basically no 'this is a weird situation constructed by a pervy side character' so its way more palatable than the stuff in the arland games.

even at its worst its way, way less than the ar tonelico games, tho. ar tonelico was aimed at a mostly male demo, atelier has a female demo. ar

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

To be clear, the Arland games have mostly been pretty tame, a little bit of high school innuendo every now and again, and that’s what makes those definitely-horny scenes stand out so much.

There’s also jiggle physics ofc, these are indeed video games