Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ShortyMR.CAT
Sep 25, 2008

:blastu::dogcited:
Lipstick Apathy
I also sent what is essentially trash. Everyone gets cardboard sixer holders!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThePopeOfFun
Feb 15, 2010

Captain Duvel posted:

I thought this was supposed to be open like an advent calendar. Are we saying it gently caress it this year?

I thought it was just a basic trade.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

Captain Duvel posted:

I thought this was supposed to be open like an advent calendar. Are we saying it gently caress it this year?

I think because people wanted to get started right away, the advent calendar thing went out the window. That doesn't mean you can't surprise your BIF with your wrapping skills.

RembrandtQEinstein
Jul 1, 2009

A GOD, A MESSIAH, AN ARCHANGEL, A KING, A PRINCE, AND AN ALL TERRAIN VEHICLE.

Captain Duvel posted:

It was kind of "gently caress it" this year. I initially thought it was going to be advent calendar when I signed up, but regular BiF is still rad. Maybe a grand return in 2021!

I did appreciate not having to wrap 12 beers/bottles though, as that part takes way longer than I think it does.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
I said gently caress it because my state is definitely going to be shutting down again at some point if our COVID numbers don’t start going back down. I wanted to be able to get everything I wanted to ship before that happened.

highme
May 25, 2001

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

RembrandtQEinstein posted:

It was kind of "gently caress it" this year. I initially thought it was going to be advent calendar when I signed up, but regular BiF is still rad. Maybe a grand return in 2021!

I did appreciate not having to wrap 12 beers/bottles though, as that part takes way longer than I think it does.

I'd just wrap cans/bottles traditionally, in brown paper bags.

ShortyMR.CAT
Sep 25, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I wrap my cans the same regardless of situation:smug:

Git fukd im lazy

Captain Duvel
Dec 14, 2009
Works for me. I also wrap mine in brown packing paper or just bubble wrap

Apache
May 11, 2004

Captain Duvel posted:

I asked that same question at the start and was told it was a standard BiF with $50 minimum beer cost. I think the intent was to allow more people to participate since the 12 bottles thing might have been a bit much for some people. Pictured below is the shipment from danbanana from the Midwest. All of the ones I've had so far(Rustic Lager. BiB, Dunkel, Market Rate) have been good. Really looking forward to trying the dino smores and the various Deth's Tar variants

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Anisocoria Feldman
Dec 11, 2007

I'm sorry if I'm spoiling everybody's good time.

Apache posted:

I asked that same question at the start and was told it was a standard BiF with $50 minimum beer cost. I think the intent was to allow more people to participate since the 12 bottles thing might have been a bit much for some people. Pictured below is the shipment from danbanana from the Midwest. All of the ones I've had so far(Rustic Lager. BiB, Dunkel, Market Rate) have been good. Really looking forward to trying the dino smores and the various Deth's Tar variants

That 2nd Shift Katy is a great choice.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

Anisocoria Feldman posted:

That 2nd Shift Katy is a great choice.

I think it's a good mixed-ferm saison that benefits from (now) being in cans and at a price point that makes it a better buy than a lot of other options. I don't think it's top-tier of the style but most of those run $15-$30 for a 750, and Katy is like $16 for a four pack.

dphi
Jul 9, 2001
Sending a box out to Ohio tomorrow

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
I’ll still do a mini-review for each beer.

Cracked two today. First up is Boom Island’s Witness, a traditional wit.

Very smooth and refreshing. I hosed up the pour and didn’t get much of a head but still very tasty. This wit focuses on the citrus rather than the banana/clove flavor of a Hoegaarden or the like. I would crush these during the summer.

Next up is Bang Brewing’s Italian Pils.

What an interesting beer! It’s hard to tell from the picture but it pours a very slight...pink(?) in the glass, with champagne-like bubbles. Beautiful lacing and the head stays constant throughout. Light with a slight bitterness. My girlfriend and I split this over dinner and it paired perfectly.

nullfunction
Jan 24, 2005

Nap Ghost
Back once again with a review of a weird beer!

Brewer: Celestial Beerworks and Martin House Brewing Company collab
Beer: The Side Dish
Style: Stovetop Stuffing Ale
Glassware: Imperial Pint Glass

Appearance: A nice unroasted chestnut color, with a bright white foam of tiny bubbles that mostly dissipates over a few minutes, leaving a small ring of bubbles around the top
Smell: Very herbaceous. I'm definitely picking up the sage and thyme. I have to really hunt for the cranberries, but my wife said it was the first thing she smelled.
Taste: It tastes like some pretty good stuffing, no lie. As it warms, the onion starts to come out, which isn't nearly as awful as it sounds. The rye adds a fair bit of spice, but it's not overwhelming.
Mouthfeel: Based on the description, I expected it to be somewhat thicker, but I definitely get the "fluffy" bit. There's no doubt a good bit of wheat in this mash, but I wouldn't call it "thick."
Overall: Once again, this isn't listed on the BJCP guidelines, so I guess it's extremely to style. Would I drink a second one? Not on the same night, but seeing as Thanksgiving is cancelled, this is probably as close as I'm going to get to stuffing this year, so I may have another one on Thursday.

I just learned today Armadillo Ale Works has released a second American Slime Ale, this time it's cranberry sauce. I don't think I'm going to get up to their taproom to snag one, but I imagine it would go pretty well with this beer.

Dallas' beer scene is wild :allears:

ThePopeOfFun
Feb 15, 2010

Sirotan's box continues to delight, with this wet rear end Soaker Pils from Homes Brewing.

And another Pilsner.

Good poo poo™

RembrandtQEinstein
Jul 1, 2009

Glad you liked these! I've definitely crushed some witness on hot summer days while watching world cup soccer at Boom Island's original location.The TIFO was not pink when I had it so that's...odd but I'm glad it was still good.

highme
May 25, 2001

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

nullfunction posted:

I just learned today Armadillo Ale Works has released a second American Slime Ale, this time it's cranberry sauce. I don't think I'm going to get up to their taproom to snag one, but I imagine it would go pretty well with this beer.

Dallas' beer scene is wild :allears:

I read that at first as Amarillo Ale Works and was questioning about your dedication to weird craft beers is you weren’t willing to drive from DFW to the Panhandle for one.

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

I spotted a Deth's Tar up there and want to congratulate the person who received it. Recieved a can from the goon fantasy football beer league a year or two ago and really enjoyed it

nullfunction
Jan 24, 2005

Nap Ghost

highme posted:

I read that at first as Amarillo Ale Works and was questioning about your dedication to weird craft beers is you weren’t willing to drive from DFW to the Panhandle for one.

Fortunately they're much closer than the panhandle, but I've got a box of weird beers to send out before I do anything else

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

unverified hot goss

store those bruery bottles now

broseph
Oct 29, 2005
Finally a hot stock tip I can use.

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

Insert Black Tuesday Joke

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

lament.cfg posted:

Insert Black Tuesday Joke

ZAM, DON'T SEND THAT VERTICAL.

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Hahaha oh wow.

ShortyMR.CAT
Sep 25, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Howd you get my private text?!?

Zam
Oct 27, 2006

danbanana posted:

ZAM, DON'T SEND THAT VERTICAL.

Rerouting delivery!

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Funky Bottoms is a land man
catching up on the very enjoyable box provided by Real Name Grover:

lovely schwarzbier. Grover, if these are brewers you know, tell them this would be in my fridge rotation.

neither a hazy juicebomb nor a west coast ipa, but something in-between. a nice, easy drinker, regardless, with some fruity hop character and mild bitterness. the 8%+ is remarkably well-hidden and i definitely took a nap after this one. also, the label pays tribute to EVH, but i failed to take a picture of that part.

yeah, this is good. not viscous, which is a nice change of pace for an adjunct-heavy stout. there's lots of stuff going on (lactose, vanilla, guajillo chilies, cinnamon) that could easily go wrong, but it's well-balanced and doesn't get old over the course of an entire pint. no way that it's 13%, though.

dry and phenolic, but not into plastic/band-aid territory, with a little malt character and some floral notes from the honey. really nice.

wasn't planning on drinking this tonight, but my partner used the leftover Mexican rice i made into bacon and egg fried rice, so i had to do it. a throwback imperial stout with hops- think Stone RIS, BORIS, Yeti- and another surprisingly easy drinker. good stuff.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
Today’s lineup:

First up is Modist Brewing’s Double False Pattern, a hazy double NEIPA. Being a New Englander, and having Treehouse in my backyard I like to think I know a little bit about this style. That being said, this one was just as good of an interpretation as any of the local guys. Lots of citrus up front, good carbonation and a creamy head, zero hop burn even as it warmed near the bottom of the glass. Delicious.

Next up, Lift Bridge’s Commander.

A very thick BBA barleywine brewed with cardamom. At 12.5 percent, a sipper. My girlfriend loved this! The cardamom is very subtle and counters the sweetness of the bourbon barrel nicely.

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Who will win the greatest battle of them all?

DarkSoulsTantrum posted:

Next up, Lift Bridge’s Commander.

A very thick BBA barleywine brewed with cardamom. At 12.5 percent, a sipper. My girlfriend loved this! The cardamom is very subtle and counters the sweetness of the bourbon barrel nicely.

gently caress yes, Commander is such an underrated BA barleywine :vince:

Real Name Grover
Feb 13, 2002

Like corn on the cob
Fan of Britches

funkybottoms posted:

:words:

lovely schwarzbier. Grover, if these are brewers you know, tell them this would be in my fridge rotation.

I know 'em all, but yeah, I may have to pass on your praise. Lincoln implemented a new directed health measure today, which limits bars (and breweries) to takeout/package only. Pretty worried for 'em.

I'm happy you enjoyed the stuff, too :cheers:

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Who will win the greatest battle of them all?

Box just landed from internet celebrity and there's so much variety in styles/abv! Very excited about the BA barleywines :shittypop:

internet celebrity
Jun 23, 2006

College Slice
Glad everything made it in one piece! I just drank my can of the Sapwood/Astro Lab lager and god drat that beer is perfect.

RembrandtQEinstein
Jul 1, 2009

So interestingly enough, Double False Pattern is "technically" a pale ale (but lol not after it gets doubled). Regular False Pattern is great, but DFP is a limited time offering so I decided to go with that instead. I was hesitant to send you anything hazy or haze-adjacent since I know what's right by you so I'm glad it passed the test. That was the only beer I was a little nervous sending.

I've included commander in every BiF box I've sent and I don't plan on stopping that trend. Pretty easily the best non-forager barleywine in state. I think I'm down to 2 bottles of the 2018 so I might have to start sending other years out.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Did I miss a secret Santa exchange because y’all those beers looks sick as gently caress

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

RembrandtQEinstein posted:

So interestingly enough, Double False Pattern is "technically" a pale ale (but lol not after it gets doubled). Regular False Pattern is great, but DFP is a limited time offering so I decided to go with that instead. I was hesitant to send you anything hazy or haze-adjacent since I know what's right by you so I'm glad it passed the test. That was the only beer I was a little nervous sending.

I've included commander in every BiF box I've sent and I don't plan on stopping that trend. Pretty easily the best non-forager barleywine in state. I think I'm down to 2 bottles of the 2018 so I might have to start sending other years out.

Whoops, I missed that it was a pale and not an IPA, but yeah it was really good with not even a hint of hop burn which even Treehouse has been having issues with lately.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
Anyway, the next beer is Fair State’s Vienna Lager!

I think this was my favorite one out of the box so far. So. loving. Good. Just an absolutely perfect rendition of the style. Super crispy and refreshing. This would be in regular rotation if they were nearby.

ShortyMR.CAT
Sep 25, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Bread Set Jettison posted:

Did I miss a secret Santa exchange because y’all those beers looks sick as gently caress

trading season never ends really

Heres my haul this year for the thread dewlers:

ShortyMR.CAT fucked around with this message at 05:01 on Nov 26, 2020

Rakekniven
Jun 4, 2000
Forum Veteran

air- posted:

Box just landed from internet celebrity and there's so much variety in styles/abv! Very excited about the BA barleywines :shittypop:

That Manor Hill Grisette is killer. I miss that and Monument City 51 Rye after moving away from Baltimore.

LeafHouse
Apr 22, 2008

That's what you get for not hailing to the chimp!

ShortyMR.CAT posted:

trading season never ends really

Heres my haul this year for the thread dewlers:

That's one hell of a haul! Coconut Curvature was one of the best Chicagoland beers of the year IMO.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

Having one of these today.

Mayflower Thanksgiving ale. "Only" 6.7 abv but very thick and chewy and delicious. Highly recommend.