Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

glassyalabolas
Oct 21, 2006
I want to bowl with the gangsters...

Detective No. 27 posted:

Target delivered way early.

You forgot a screenshot of the dlc code.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Agh, disaster, they forgot to include the electronics!!!

e: that is a GORGEOUS pack

Yeah, I'm very impressed with this one. It's much nicer than the Three Houses CE.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Detective No. 27 posted:

Yeah, I'm very impressed with this one. It's much nicer than the Three Houses CE.

I think I preordered the digital version, isn't it not out until like, a week in to december? Does the code even work?

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

I got a little annoyed with Divinity 2 for basically discouraging a hybrid party--it's generally more effective to go all physical or all magical damage--and the way that a lot of encounters seem to be set up as ambushes that make you burn a round or two just setting up your positioning. Granted, I was playing on a higher difficulty, but having to min-max my party composition and not being able to prep for a fight without liberal savescumming just took the wind out of my sails a bit

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Quantum of Phallus posted:

I think I preordered the digital version, isn't it not out until like, a week in to december? Does the code even work?

It comes out next week. Here's a picture of the code:

I also preordered the digital version back when I didn't think I'd be getting one of these things. I'm pretty sure I'm gonna give this code away to a friend.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Detective No. 27 posted:

It comes out next week. Here's a picture of the code:

I also preordered the digital version back when I didn't think I'd be getting one of these things. I'm pretty sure I'm gonna give this code away to a friend.

:twisted:
i printed this picture and held it up to a lamp so i could see through to the code. its mine now

Xalidur
Jun 4, 2012

404notfound posted:

I got a little annoyed with Divinity 2 for basically discouraging a hybrid party--it's generally more effective to go all physical or all magical damage--and the way that a lot of encounters seem to be set up as ambushes that make you burn a round or two just setting up your positioning. Granted, I was playing on a higher difficulty, but having to min-max my party composition and not being able to prep for a fight without liberal savescumming just took the wind out of my sails a bit

I agree with this. DOS2 is a great game in nearly every RPG metric, but I regret doing my first run on Tactician mode. Playing RPGs on the highest difficulty is a general practice of mine, because most of them are balanced to be very easy on anything else; but DOS2's Tactician combat isn't just tough, it's often tough in a way that was very frustrating to me. It felt like most enemies in the game were flying archer-mages that started in highly advantaged positions without many alternative ways to approach them. And the healing preventing fire the game uses in what feels like more than half of the late game content is pretty awful too.

Of course, My Pride would not allow me to just turn the difficulty down, even though I certainly would have enjoyed the game more that way.

However, I offer the above mostly as a warning. Even with the combat being frequently infuriating and unfun, I still really liked the game overall. Enough to push through it all to see the story. I just needed to take frequent breaks!

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Rutibex posted:

:twisted:
i printed this picture and held it up to a lamp so i could see through to the code. its mine now

I wouldn't even be mad if this worked.

Good Sphere
Jun 16, 2018

Detective No. 27 posted:

Target delivered way early.

I don't even know what a Fire Emblem is, and that is cool af.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Really elaborate post to just show off your Noir.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Breaking news: the World Science Fiction Society is presenting a Hugo Award for Best Game in 2021! This award has been around since the 50s and is probably the biggest prize in the science fiction and fantasy genres. I made a thread here since it's the first time they've had games as a category and they're considering adding it as a permanent one.

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

I've got nearly negative NES nostalgia but I've got to admit that's a great looking set of swag

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008

Midjack posted:

Breaking news: the World Science Fiction Society is presenting a Hugo Award for Best Game in 2021! This award has been around since the 50s and is probably the biggest prize in the science fiction and fantasy genres. I made a thread here since it's the first time they've had games as a category and they're considering adding it as a permanent one.

This is awesome.

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~
Ah dangit I saw a recomendation vid for Prodeus and it looks real good (a doom clone madd by a group of doom modders, sort of a Doom Mania but with the serial numbers filed off) saw there was a Switch version announced but it turns out that was promised in a kickstarter campaign and the game just came out in early access on steam so I guess I'll be waiting then.

Also thanks to whoever mentioned The Outer Wilds in the same breath as the Obra Dinn, it's not on switch (which it would be perfect for) but I picked it up on steam and it rules. I think I got it confused with the Outer Worlds and thought it would be boring rpg poo poo rather than a groundhog day open world exploration puzzler in a cute little solar system.

Also woo Picross S5! I also missed that the pac a pix people released another picross game with multipart colour puzzles. I ran out of dlc packs that didn't have the word "small" in the name a bit ago for the original. I was so parched of picross content I nearly bought that weird puzzle dating sim but between new good picross and old less good picross with plentiful cheap dlc I think I'm good again for the moment.

Violet_Sky
Dec 5, 2011

Fun Shoe
If I may :goonsay: over NES box art for a minute:

I get that Fire Emblem isn't a "real" NES game, but the box art looks a bit too animesque and ""cute"" for NES box art standards. If they wanted to make it more accurate to the time period they should have gotten somebody to hand draw some D&D knight riding a horse and throwing a spear. Basically, make it look more Western like the box art for FF1 or Dragon Quest 1.

(It still looks cool though.)

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
:australia: Hey Ausgoons :australia:

Coles has 15% off eshop cards starting today

If you get two $60s and a $15 you can buy two game vouchers on the eshop and it will only cost you $114.75

So each game you get with a voucher will be $57.37 instead of the digital RRP which is usually $80

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
(That’s $42.29 in usd to make all the Amerigoons jealous)

Vegastar
Jan 2, 2005

Tigers will do anything for a tuna sandwich.

Chronojam posted:

Reminder to anybody with Costco, instant email delivery of $50 eshop credit is permanently $45 -- not counting whatever percent back you get.

So if you see games on sale you want digitally, do that first instead of just punching in your credit card on the eShop.

I was really disappointed to discover that the limit 3 text is cumulative - it won’t let me buy anymore. Not sure if it’s a per year or some arbitrarily time frame after which it’ll reset, but :(

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Vegastar posted:

I was really disappointed to discover that the limit 3 text is cumulative - it won’t let me buy anymore. Not sure if it’s a per year or some arbitrarily time frame after which it’ll reset, but :(

I'm pretty sure I've done more than three ever.

Sometimes they also have other denominations in store, but that's much less convenient these days.

xedo
Nov 7, 2011

Martman posted:

I'm guessing this is up in the air based on my failed googles, but has there ever been any indication of Bravely Default 1 getting a re-release or at least discount on digital sales before/around the release of Bravely Default II? I got Bravely Second for super cheap in some Gamestop sale but it's just wild to me that it's still been impossible to find the first one for cheaper than $40.

Late to this, but bravely default was published by nintendo, (in north america at least, some regions may be different) so it only goes on sale when nintendo wants it to. And I feel like I haven't seen a nintendo published 3ds game discounted in a long time.

Check in on my nintendo once in a while, they might eventually do a 30% off coupon there. They have in the past. New discounts there are... Monthly, I think?

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

xedo posted:

Late to this, but bravely default was published by nintendo, (in north america at least, some regions may be different) so it only goes on sale when nintendo wants it to. And I feel like I haven't seen a nintendo published 3ds game discounted in a long time.

Check in on my nintendo once in a while, they might eventually do a 30% off coupon there. They have in the past. New discounts there are... Monthly, I think?
That's a good call! I would hope they do something reasonable to make it more acquirable for the release of BDII, but until then yeah I guess I'll just check the rewards occasionally. I'm just.....not down to spend $40 on a digital 3DS title these days.

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺

Hedrigall posted:

(That’s $42.29 in usd to make all the Amerigoons jealous)

I don't know how effective that will be looking at the eshop discounts they got for Thanksgiving

Unreal_One
Aug 18, 2010

Now you know how I don't like to use the sit-down gun, but this morning we just don't have time for mucking about.

Violet_Sky posted:

I get that Fire Emblem isn't a "real" NES game, but the box art looks a bit too animesque and ""cute"" for NES box art standards. If they wanted to make it more accurate to the time period they should have gotten somebody to hand draw some D&D knight riding a horse and throwing a spear. Basically, make it look more Western like the box art for FF1 or Dragon Quest 1.

If you're going to be a pedant about NES vs Famicom, at least call it Dragon Warrior.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

Malcolm Turnbeug posted:

I don't know how effective that will be looking at the eshop discounts they got for Thanksgiving

You’re missing the part where the game vouchers last a year so someone could buy them now and use them to get two first party releases in 2021 (assuming there are any lol) for super cheap

Spiteski
Aug 27, 2013

Games like bravely default 2, pikmin 3, age of calamity etc are all voucher able for example

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Hedrigall posted:

:australia: Hey Ausgoons :australia:

Coles has 15% off eshop cards starting today

If you get two $60s and a $15 you can buy two game vouchers on the eshop and it will only cost you $114.75

So each game you get with a voucher will be $57.37 instead of the digital RRP which is usually $80

How many gold coins do you get for a pair of vouchers?

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

Gobias Ind. posted:

Waffling back to "get it"...

It's on sale for $50 Canadian (regular $80). I'll sleep on it, thanks for all the replies!

FWIW I think Link's Awakening is the perfect Zelda. The world is packed full of content with no filler. The dungeons each have a focus which doesn't overstay its welcome. There aren't hours of garbage story cutscenes. It's a very tight experience, great fun the whole way through.

I have a slight preference for the original Gameboy release. I think the sprite graphics fit the game's quirky style and feel more appropriate given the game play. But I played through the whole Switch version as well and it is very good.

Strong recommend from me.

Pookum
Mar 5, 2011

gaming is life
I used to have problems beating the bonus levels in super mario world using an emulator, due to slowdown/lag , is it better on the switch version? I'm talking about the levels with wacky 80's names like Tubular and Groovy .

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

A time traveling adventure everyone can enjoy

You should get a computer that isn't a hacked TI-80, or maybe the emulator you were using sucked rear end.

Regardless, the Switch versions run fine, as would any hypothetical SMW ROMs on a fifteen-year-old computer.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Lol

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
Define what you mean by slowdown/lag because the actual game had that too, and the Switch emulator copies that as well.

Pookum
Mar 5, 2011

gaming is life

John Lee posted:

You should get a computer that isn't a hacked TI-80, or maybe the emulator you were using sucked rear end.

Regardless, the Switch versions run fine, as would any hypothetical SMW ROMs on a fifteen-year-old computer.

ok this was like 15 years ago and everything you are claiming was true. Thank you.

Pookum
Mar 5, 2011

gaming is life

Araxxor posted:

Define what you mean by slowdown/lag because the actual game had that too, and the Switch emulator copies that as well.

input lag? I guess?

edit: I remember the original having the same problems, it just seems like the bonus levels were way harder than they should be.

Pookum fucked around with this message at 04:40 on Nov 25, 2020

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Those levels are no problem with the rewind function :getin:

Pookum
Mar 5, 2011

gaming is life
:getout:

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

or,,,if you are good at games

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

:gitgud:

Rimusutera
Oct 17, 2014

Violet_Sky posted:

That's literally the original art, what

Inflammatory
Apr 22, 2014
it doesn't have western-looking box art because it was never released in the west.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

Rimusutera posted:

That's literally the original art, what

A lot of NES era games had their box art changed for non-Japan releases to look less anime, sometimes to a hilarious extent.