Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

I was talking to my mum in Perth and she mentioned how my sister, grandfather and aunt all had really bad colds or flu bugs in the last few weeks. I asked if they got tested and she said no and seemed nonplussed that I would even suggest it, which I think was my first real interstate culture shock moment, which I'm sure will only become more pronounced as we go into 2020.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Konomex
Oct 25, 2010

a whiteman who has some authority over others, who not only hasn't raped anyone, or stared at them creepily...

Senor Tron posted:

God bless the one term marginal seat MP who has taken over the WA libs, valiantly sacrificing himself in the unwinnable state election.

Grew up with him, I've been scratching my head so hard about why he'd take the poison chalice for an unwinnable election when he's on a razor thin margin already. I know he wants the PM job one day, he must be playing 4D chess in his head on how to wrangle this into a bigger thing. It does come with a bigger spotlight at least.

Animal Friend
Sep 7, 2011

freebooter posted:

I was talking to my mum in Perth and she mentioned how my sister, grandfather and aunt all had really bad colds or flu bugs in the last few weeks. I asked if they got tested and she said no and seemed nonplussed that I would even suggest it, which I think was my first real interstate culture shock moment, which I'm sure will only become more pronounced as we go into 2020.

Please, not 2020 again...

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Finishing the game with everyone else's continues

Konomex posted:

Grew up with him, I've been scratching my head so hard about why he'd take the poison chalice for an unwinnable election when he's on a razor thin margin already. I know he wants the PM job one day, he must be playing 4D chess in his head on how to wrangle this into a bigger thing. It does come with a bigger spotlight at least.

He's definitely got less to lose than he has to gain, even in losing he can definitely use the opportunity to advance his own brand. Whether he'd be able to do that or not I guess we'll see. I knew a guy who ran against Greg Piper in a NSW state election for the seat of Lake Macquarie (as a Labor candidate) a few years back and it was kind of obvious he got the position because literally nobody else wanted it, since he had pretty much no support, and the few times he got a word in to the media he managed to say all the wrong things.

Animal Friend posted:

Please, not 2020 again...

Yeah we did it wrong apparently so we're going on a redo.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.

freebooter posted:

I'm lucky enough to have a punch-in-punch-out wage-paid white collar job, where once a time-allotted task is over there's literally nothing for me to do, but my girlfriend often now works until 8 or 9pm or logs in to finish stuff on weekends, which I reckon will be a widespread issue in the coming years as heaps of companies shift entirely to WFH.

edit - like I was sort of joking when I said it's harder to call in sick, the actual reason I haven't done it this year is because in Melbourne there was nothing to skive out and go do, but even though I know my managers legally cannot ask me why I'm sick I still feel like it would be way more suss if I chucked a fake sickie now because I'd have to be truly bedridden not to do my job while WFH.

I wouldn’t be surprised if we see a test OH&S case on this in the near future. I think there’s a decent claim that part of an employers “reasonably practicable” test should be to monitor and respond to excess out of hours work done by the employees.

Companies that have any sort of cloud based document system are fairly easily able to see when people are committing edits. Should they be using that to check in on people and suggest they take a break?

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-11-25/second-whistleblower-attacks-football-queensland-governance/12910828

This entire story is bonkers. I hate reading that when I see it on a twitter post, but this time it's true. And it all comes back to our old friend

VOTE1
Aug 23, 2007

Konomex posted:

There are several Premiers who when they got the job appeared to be in atleast as bad shape as the WA libs, obviously Anastasia, but even someone like Andrew’s (also Ardern) came in with more things going wrong than right. Several more in recent history, ie Mike Rann had a two term deal on SA after the 1993 election, so it all comes down to what he negotiates. But you can’t be premier till your leader and unless you are a generational exceptional politician you need to take it when it comes up, as it just might not come up again.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
Holy poo poo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eqA_DprY0RA

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
for the first time I wrote to the APC to complain about that segment specifically

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Did you mean to link something else because this appears to just be two fat brain dead shits and if one other person mistakenly clicks on it you will have doubled the viewership

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
no i meant to link that the holy poo poo came from not its inclusion of "this will break this wide open" but from "this is so far removed from reality, and even opinion, to have offended me to my very core."

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

We should “deplatform” Paul Murray and Rowan Dean, they have far too much influence through their prominent positions on the widely viewed Sky News After Dark programming block

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

Deplatforming is when the head rolls off the guillotines raised stage.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Solemn Sloth posted:

Did you mean to link something else because this appears to just be two fat brain dead shits and if one other person mistakenly clicks on it you will have doubled the viewership

Thanks I won't click on it

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

Konomex posted:

It might help him save his seat if he's getting a spotlight now.

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop
https://www.theguardian.com/austral...traffic-cameras

Old news but I missed it when it was first reported. Actual proof of systemic racism. This is doubly tragic when you realise that an overwhelming number of the indigenous deaths in custody are as the result of incarceration due to traffic offences.

"The biggest disparity was in the issuing of infringements for not wearing a seatbelt, where Aboriginal drivers received 19.2 times the number of fines."

Ms Dhu died while “cutting out” unpaid fines after enduring what a coroner called “unprofessional” and “inhumane” treatment from some police officers at South Hedland police station. She had been told she was “faking it” and called a “loving junkie”. She was dropped on the cell floor when she could not stand up, dragged along the floor, and then carried, handcuffed and shackled, to a police van because she could not walk. Her death was attributed to septicemia caused by an infection in a rib broken by her violent partner some weeks before. Her family received a $1.1m ex-gratia payment and a formal apology from the Western Australia attorney general, and are still considering further legal action.

ISSUES RAISED
Medical care required but not all given, procedures not all followed, force used.

On remand for unpaid traffic fines.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Sky News Australia is so much worse than Fox News.

Also relevant:

https://twitter.com/SkyNewsAust/status/1331154637978648576?s=20

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Was watching the SA daily Covid briefing and after it finished the feed switched to a press conference Dan Andrews is doing right now. He's doing such a good job of explaining why borrowing to finance things like public housing and arts infrastructure is good for the economy in the long term.

Animal Friend
Sep 7, 2011

I saw him quoted as saying this so went looking if it was still up. After the Victorian lockdown successfully stamped out covid...

Also found this lol

His comment section is exactly what you imagine it is.

Buttcoin purse
Apr 24, 2014

"Who will save me from hordes of innocent Afghani civilians?" I imagine to be the ironic response to this, then realize she thinks that unironically and just wants brown people murdered :negative:

Mr Chips
Jun 27, 2007
Whose arse do I have to blow smoke up to get rid of this baby?
please save me from those Afghan kids running away from are brave troops

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Animal Friend posted:

I saw him quoted as saying this so went looking if it was still up. After the Victorian lockdown successfully stamped out covid...

Also found this lol

His comment section is exactly what you imagine it is.

I don't believe that Covid is a conspiracy to thin out undesirable parts of the population but it seems like George Christensen might.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Alternatively: Our boy George wants us to give up and reopen the border so he can fly overseas to satisfy his urges.

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop
https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-11-24/former-sas-liberal-mp-andrew-hastie-heard-rumours-wrongdoing/12915892

A sitting Federal LNP Member was the SAS commander of the ghani kiddie killers. No I wasn't actually shocked either.

LJR was found dead in his bunk in Victoria's Port Phillip prison on the morning of 10 July 2014. While he was a high-level drug user and there is no evidence to suggest the involvement of any other person in his death, the coroner could not determine that his death was due to natural causes because there was a series of shortcomings in monitoring and investigation. The coroner's inability to give a definite cause of death has caused a great deal of anguish to LJR's family.

ISSUES RAISED
Procedures not all followed, mental health / cognitive impairment.

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
Can someone explain to me what's China's game plan with not accepting Australian imports?

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

man of my word costs me

economic punishment for only looking 99% the other way when China is being very Problematic.

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

man of my word costs me

Australia is the dog, the blocked imports are the rolled up newspaper.

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?

Knobb Manwich posted:

Australia is the dog, the blocked imports are the rolled up newspaper.

...it doesn't seem to be doing anything to the Government? I would have thought the coal companies would have been screaming at the National party and we'd see it in the media, but everyone seems to be ignoring it.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.

Senor Tron posted:

Sky News Australia is so much worse than Fox News.

Also relevant:

https://twitter.com/SkyNewsAust/status/1331154637978648576?s=20

ah yes, the "YOU CAN'T HANDLE THE TRUTH"

trunkh
Jan 31, 2011

Comstar posted:

Can someone explain to me what's China's game plan with not accepting Australian imports?

Stop making us look bad and acting against our interests in defence of your own (even if we are behaving badly, our interests are the only important ones).

Look this is how we can hurt you. Take note other nations that want to do business with us.

trunkh fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Nov 25, 2020

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

man of my word costs me

Comstar posted:

...it doesn't seem to be doing anything to the Government? I would have thought the coal companies would have been screaming at the National party and we'd see it in the media, but everyone seems to be ignoring it.

They probably are, just quietly.

Australians are weird hey? Authoritarian bootlickers with laid back delusions, but if the authoritarianism is perceived as bullying, we'd rather slam our own dicks in the door than be seen to roll over.

trunkh
Jan 31, 2011

Knobb Manwich posted:

They probably are, just quietly.

Australians are weird hey? Authoritarian bootlickers with laid back delusions, but if the authoritarianism is perceived as bullying, we'd rather slam our own dicks in the door than be seen to roll over.

We're just particular about our brands when it comes to bootlicking, Rossi or RM Williams are preferred.

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

man of my word costs me

The authoritarianism is coming from outside the house!!!

trunkh posted:

We're just particular about our brands when it comes to bootlicking, Rossi or RM Williams are preferred.

Nice. Your point about China making an example to others was a really good one btw.

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Finishing the game with everyone else's continues
I imagine no one in the coal industry is screaming about it because they had already taken this into account as a possibility because China has been doing this a lot to a great many nations. A lot of the industries that are actually hurting from it are smaller and can't really spread themselves out the way fossil fuel industries can, and as far as I'm aware we sell way more to Japan (for now) than we ever did to China.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

My thinking now is that the Coalition actually knows that the coal industry is hosed, but are just hoping to hold off that realisation until the point Labor are in power federally and blame them for coal mines closing.

trunkh
Jan 31, 2011

TheLastRoboKy posted:

I imagine no one in the coal industry is screaming about it because they had already taken this into account as a possibility because China has been doing this a lot to a great many nations. A lot of the industries that are actually hurting from it are smaller and can't really spread themselves out the way fossil fuel industries can, and as far as I'm aware we sell way more to Japan (for now) than we ever did to China.

I agree but I also think there is also a public perception aspect to this. The average Australian has no love for China, so complaining to loudly about it, is liable to get a potential mass response along the lines of "so what? gently caress China, our Government is doing the right thing". Hell I feel there was a Hollow Men episode on this very thing.

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.
IM on my phone, someone post a screenshot of uhlmanns latest article

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺
I'm also on my phone but the twitter screenshot is more than enough imo

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

TheLastRoboKy posted:

Isn't part of the problem that yes for higher quality coal there are still quite a few markets open, but China was basically the dumping ground for our garbage tier stuff?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Malcolm Turnbeug posted:

I'm also on my phone but the twitter screenshot is more than enough imo

didnt that wanker write multiple novels about himself as the brave self-insert journalist taking the fight to china at great personal risk lol