Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

PneumonicBook posted:

Hello, I start shaking like a paint mixer at like 50 seconds of planks so uh...

Welcome to FEP lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DustyNuts
Jun 1, 2000

Have you seen me?

You can shake like a motherfucker all you want! Just don't drop your head or move too much!

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

orange juche posted:

Welcome to FEP lol

lol i havent passed a prt in 3 years so Ill just continue to be an enormous shitbag.

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002
I'm overall pretty fit and regularly killed situps. That 3 min + plank is nutso.

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

Laranzu posted:

I'm overall pretty fit and regularly killed situps. That 3 min + plank is nutso.

I looked at the regs and for my age group I think its 1 minute 10? Which like, is doable I think but maybe tuned high? I dont know, its legitimately hard to tell because whenever we did planks for PT when I was AD we did them in ladders starting at ten up to thirty and back down to ten. I dont think in my 16 year career we've ever done a plank for more than 40 seconds.

I guess with the first implementation of them you can fail the planks and be gucci, which is honestly really smart of the Navy to do, it'll give people a good baseline to determine how they can work up to the times.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

So I’ve been working out like 5 times a week doing elliptical machine for a hour and two sets of pushups then planks. Mildly pleased with the numbers required for my age bracket. Did a mock for fun yesterday and got 36 pushups, 1:45 on plank and a 13:04 run on a super lovely concrete dock with no competition to push me. Easy good-low+.

However I’d fail weight in today at 230lb and 5’11”. Possibly my 18 1/2 neck may save me. Haven’t measured my belly recently so I may pass on that. Gotta lose 10lbs before the real deal to be sure.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".
Step one: get on a ship with a lovely cook
Step two: get into some weather

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

The Valley Stared posted:

And it looks like I'm going to be a Chief Engineer out in Rota. Assuming my orders don't get changed between now and December of next year.

:911:

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender

The Valley Stared posted:

Can confirm this is the case. If you fail the plank it won't count against you this time around, but if you fail the push-ups or the cardio it's a failure.

And it looks like I'm going to be a Chief Engineer out in Rota. Assuming my orders don't get changed between now and December of next year.

Grats on Rota orders!

Arione
Aug 19, 2013

by Athanatos
Hey all, Been a hot minute since I posted here. Made it back to shore duty, married now, no crotch goblins to speak of so married life is nice. Made E6 on my ship but went to NJP twice for stupid poo poo and got busted 4 months before I transferred. I'll be in 11 years at the end of this tour and I wont be eligible for E6 again until then. Kinda thinking of getting out. Pretty sure one of my old LT's stalks the forums, if so, you were cool, a dick, but cool. Shop went to poo poo when you left.

MonkeyFit
May 13, 2009

Arione posted:

Hey all, Been a hot minute since I posted here. Made it back to shore duty, married now, no crotch goblins to speak of so married life is nice. Made E6 on my ship but went to NJP twice for stupid poo poo and got busted 4 months before I transferred. I'll be in 11 years at the end of this tour and I wont be eligible for E6 again until then. Kinda thinking of getting out. Pretty sure one of my old LT's stalks the forums, if so, you were cool, a dick, but cool. Shop went to poo poo when you left.

What are the benefits of staying in?

SerthVarnee
Mar 13, 2011

It has been two zero days since last incident.
Big Super Slapstick Hunk

MonkeyFit posted:

What are the benefits of staying in?

Thread title right there.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

I would advise getting out and getting a head start on your real career.

warsow
Jun 28, 2009

Arione posted:

Assuming you aren't getting NJP'd out, get out and go to school using the GI Bill. If you live in Hampton Roads look at Tidewater Community College's accelerated associate degree.

It is a full year program that cuts the time in half to get your associates. TCC also has full admission agreements with every state school in Virginia where the requirements are clearly laid out in memorandums of agreement.

If you aren't in VA, see if your local community college has the same setup (they likely do).

Shaving a year off undergrad opens you up for accelerated masters programs or just having some bennies if you ever want to learn to weld or become a gunsmith.

Arione
Aug 19, 2013

by Athanatos

warsow posted:

Assuming you aren't getting NJP'd out, get out and go to school using the GI Bill. If you live in Hampton Roads look at Tidewater Community College's accelerated associate degree.

It is a full year program that cuts the time in half to get your associates. TCC also has full admission agreements with every state school in Virginia where the requirements are clearly laid out in memorandums of agreement.

If you aren't in VA, see if your local community college has the same setup (they likely do).

Shaving a year off undergrad opens you up for accelerated masters programs or just having some bennies if you ever want to learn to weld or become a gunsmith.

Solid advice. I'm out in Hawaii, will be staying here. Enlisted with a BA in Poli Sci, Thinking of going to UH and getting a masters in IT. Joked with my wife that I'd just go down and change oil at the Porsche dealership for the employee discount.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
that'd be a very hawiian thing to do, though

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

Arione posted:

Solid advice. I'm out in Hawaii, will be staying here. Enlisted with a BA in Poli Sci, Thinking of going to UH and getting a masters in IT. Joked with my wife that I'd just go down and change oil at the Porsche dealership for the employee discount.

I've found every computer science Master's program I've been interested so far in won't even look at me since I'm a BS in a debatably STEM field and MS in definitely not STEM field.

Are you employed in IT? Or does UH take anyone that has a decent undergrad in any field?

MonkeyFit
May 13, 2009

SerthVarnee posted:

Thread title right there.

gently caress yeah.

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Redlining my shit posting machine

SpaceSDoorGunner posted:

I've found every computer science Master's program I've been interested so far in won't even look at me since I'm a BS in a debatably STEM field and MS in definitely not STEM field.

Are you employed in IT? Or does UH take anyone that has a decent undergrad in any field?

Can you be self funded for your MS? If you don't take a GTA/GRA slot you may have a better shot at getting accepted.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".
At my school you could. There were plenty of options to work your way into something if it mattered to you.

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

Goodpancakes posted:

Can you be self funded for your MS? If you don't take a GTA/GRA slot you may have a better shot at getting accepted.

I’ve been shooting super high in terms of programs since I also don’t plan on pursuing it until I have a bit of industry experience.

Probably wouldn’t be a problem at a lot of Universities besides the couple I’ve contacted

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I found that as long as you are motivated and going for the right reasons, you will gain from a program whether you are right out of undergrad or have years of professional experience. It will just be different gains.

I shot super high but made sure I had two solid second choice state schools as well. I didn't make it into Dartmouth but I am very happy with the state school program I attended as I think it offered me greater flexibility in what I learned and what I do with it in the future. My Cal Poly professors will be proud whether I am a Fortune 500 CEO or run a local Starbucks franchise.

When it comes to STEM the differences between top tier and 2nd tier programs can be marginal as 1+1 still equals 2 at Harvard and the local community college. You will have fewer resources though so keep that in mind. I also paid out of pocket for everything and my capstone was funded by a local electronic ink company. Its definitely possible to self fund, just don't go in with the assumption you are going to build some cutting edge tech.

lightpole fucked around with this message at 18:59 on Nov 26, 2020

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

Finally got official word from Bupers that I’m accepted for early out. Command took 4 months to route my chit to them so I was getting nervous.

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

SpaceSDoorGunner posted:

Finally got official word from Bupers that I’m accepted for early out. Command took 4 months to route my chit to them so I was getting nervous.

Congratulations!

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Does anyone have any experience being a PA in the Navy or going through that process?

Looks like I'm finishing PA school right as my career field gets 2008'd.

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

I don't believe in anything, I'm just here for the violence.
Looks like BHR is going to get decommed.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

ManMythLegend posted:

Looks like BHR is going to get decommed.

Just decommed or stricken entirely?

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

FizFashizzle posted:

Does anyone have any experience being a PA in the Navy or going through that process?

Looks like I'm finishing PA school right as my career field gets 2008'd.

I'm looking into JAG, myself. You want to contact an officer recruiter and they can step you through the process. Here's a link: https://www.navy.com/local. Call the officer recruiter not the enlisted one.

King of Bees
Dec 28, 2012
Gravy Boat 2k
Call the enlisted one and become a corpsman lol

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Mr. Nice! posted:

I'm looking into JAG, myself. You want to contact an officer recruiter and they can step you through the process. Here's a link: https://www.navy.com/local. Call the officer recruiter not the enlisted one.

Goddammit I have to drive to Columbia.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

FizFashizzle posted:

Give whatever office a call. Good chance they already have something worked out with your PA school.

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

Just to double check, you're going with PA as Physician's Assistant not Public Affairs

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Nick Soapdish posted:

Just to double check, you're going with PA as Physician's Assistant not Public Affairs

Correct. He's soon to be a fully credentialed physician's assistant.

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

I don't believe in anything, I'm just here for the violence.

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Just decommed or stricken entirely?

Decommed.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Makes sense. If she can even be rebuilt it's gonna take lots of yard time.

ZekeNY
Jun 13, 2013

Probably AFK

And supposedly even that's gonna cost $30 million :toot:

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

Mr. Nice! posted:

Correct. He's soon to be a fully credentialed physician's assistant.

FizFashizzle posted:

Congrats Fiz! Just to give you some information before you talk with the O Recruiter, the Navy Medical Officer Program recruiter FB page https://www.facebook.com/navymedicalofficerrecruiter/posts/2734943276783324 has the FY quotas for AD and RC. Looks like they have 2 quotas for active and none for reserve (PAs are under Medical Service Corps).

I keep checking the MSC quotas yearly since someday they will have reserve quotas for LCSWs.

https://twitter.com/LethalityJane/status/1333387263720341506?s=20

:chiefsay: this really hit me as I always tried to be an understanding and empathetic Chief during my time but sometimes I just wanted to defenestrate my Shipwreck Sailors from the 2nd story window

Nick Soapdish fucked around with this message at 17:14 on Dec 1, 2020

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Navy is accepting two (2) PAs in 2021. They also require work experience, because as part of the credentialing they need work references.

They advised me if worse comes to worse, work for 3 months in like a CVS urgent care and call them back.

Back to the drawing board.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

FizFashizzle posted:

Navy is accepting two (2) PAs in 2021. They also require work experience, because as part of the credentialing they need work references.

They advised me if worse comes to worse, work for 3 months in like a CVS urgent care and call them back.

Back to the drawing board.

Put in an application regardless. You can get references from your rotational physicians if needed. You might still get told no, but it's worth a shot.

I found out today that they haven't had a quota for any direct appointment JAGs, but they're supposed to open back up next year. There aren't any published quotas, though, so I don't know how competitive my field is gonna be. Most lawyers cannot pass a PRT, so I have that going for me. So glad the navy uses planks instead of situps now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Nick Soapdish posted:

https://twitter.com/LethalityJane/status/1333387263720341506?s=20

:chiefsay: this really hit me as I always tried to be an understanding and empathetic Chief during my time but sometimes I just wanted to defenestrate my Shipwreck Sailors from the 2nd story window

Oh my god I feel this in my bones. I wasn't a chief but I was LPO of N6 with no chief, just me, DIVO, and the handful of comms folks, so yeah I got those same phone calls.