Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Polly Toodle
Apr 21, 2010

CHARIZARD used SMOKESCREEN
It doesn't affect GEORDI THE BLASTOISE!
Amazon plans to deliver my delayed Series X Preorder this Friday. :getin:

Thom12255 posted:

So with the Dev mode I could stick in my Return of the King disc and play it just as if I was using an og xbox?

No, but eventually you may be able to play an iso of the PS2 version of that game!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Xbox to inadvertently provide the only non-messed up version of Shin Megami Tensei: Nocturne

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

So Xbox one games: do they automatically just get an FPS and res bump or do they need to have it enabled?

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Laserface posted:

So Xbox one games: do they automatically just get an FPS and res bump or do they need to have it enabled?

The benefits will be how dynamic the original game was. I.e if the game allowed a variable frame rate up to 60 itll run at 60 now, if it was 1080p but dropped to 900p itll stay steady at 1080p. It won't magically make a game that capped at 30fps run at 60fps without a patch though.

Basically it makes games the ideal target form the dev was going for but it doesn't make them any better sans patch.

otter
Jul 23, 2007

Ask me about my XCOM and controller collection

word.

I tried to enable dev mode and could not get it to go. My windows 10 install which seems to be required is in parallels and it was just not allowing it to add the Xbox after signing up for the dev account. Ill have to dust off my windows laptop and try again.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Did you enable dev mode on the console and boot into it? If you're having an issue there is a shortcut command to force it happen. Someone posted it earlier but if you search for the controller enable for dev mode you should find it.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
Is Return to Arkham and Arkham Knight good on this console? The Series X.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

otter posted:

I tried to enable dev mode and could not get it to go. My windows 10 install which seems to be required is in parallels and it was just not allowing it to add the Xbox after signing up for the dev account. Ill have to dust off my windows laptop and try again.
You don't need Windows at all. I was able to add the Xbox by just going to the website it says in Safari on an iMac.

Zerot
Aug 18, 2006

Anidav posted:

Is Return to Arkham and Arkham Knight good on this console? The Series X.

It doesn't fix the first game's weird frame rate cap, but Arkham Knight looks great with AutoHDR. Digital Foundry covered both games in videos over the past few months if I recall correctly.

otter
Jul 23, 2007

Ask me about my XCOM and controller collection

word.

Weird. I had attempted with safari on macOS first and then read the requirement in the enabler app on the Xbox to use windows 10 specifically. Neither system will take me to the activation page.

Pffff. Tried it on my iPad and it worked perfectly fine.

otter fucked around with this message at 10:05 on Nov 25, 2020

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

Zerot posted:

It doesn't fix the first game's weird frame rate cap, but Arkham Knight looks great with AutoHDR. Digital Foundry covered both games in videos over the past few months if I recall correctly.

What was the frame rate cap on Asylum? I thought the newer release of it was 60fps but I could be wrong. I remember City not hitting 60 loads of times.

Zerot
Aug 18, 2006

Quantum of Phallus posted:

What was the frame rate cap on Asylum? I thought the newer release of it was 60fps but I could be wrong. I remember City not hitting 60 loads of times.

Arkham Asylum runs at a capped 45 FPS on consoles, I think. Arkham City doesn't have this issue if I remember right.

Zat
Jan 16, 2008

Zerot posted:

Arkham Asylum runs at a capped 45 FPS on consoles, I think. Arkham City doesn't have this issue if I remember right.

Yep, Asylum is 45 fps and City is 30 fps after the One X patch which was a bit of a disaster, one of the lamest One X patches ever.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Barudak posted:

The benefits will be how dynamic the original game was. I.e if the game allowed a variable frame rate up to 60 itll run at 60 now, if it was 1080p but dropped to 900p itll stay steady at 1080p. It won't magically make a game that capped at 30fps run at 60fps without a patch though.

Basically it makes games the ideal target form the dev was going for but it doesn't make them any better sans patch.

Is there a list of games that are updated or will be updated?

Ideally anything that was "quality" would have the frame rate of "performance" mode in addition to the nicer viduals

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Laserface posted:

Is there a list of games that are updated or will be updated?

Ideally anything that was "quality" would have the frame rate of "performance" mode in addition to the nicer viduals

What I posted applies to all games, no patch needed. I should also mention load times are very very improved in addition to resolution/frame rate stability. Monster Hunter World for instance feels like a whole new game despite no patching.

For games that got patches it'll say X|S Enhanced. Microsoft has a list at https://www.xbox.com/en-US/games/optimized but I don't know how up to date or whatever it is.

Barudak fucked around with this message at 12:07 on Nov 25, 2020

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

Games With Gold have been revealed :

https://www.gameinformer.com/2020/11/24/xbox-games-with-gold-december-2020-free-games-revealed

The Raven Remastered - December 1 - 31
Bleed 2 - December 16 - January 15
Saints Row: Gat Out of Hell - December 1 - December 15
Stacking - December 16 - December 31

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

Moey posted:

Is it more relaxing than riding a horse? What about speeding in a car through a wall of pedestrians?

You can still speed in a car through a wall of pedestrians and then attach the car to a jet with a grappling hook

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend
I got my XSX yesterday, and did the network transfer to get everything off the One X. I let it run overnight and everything seemed to work, except the XSX won't actually open any games. I've tried Forza, Doom, Enter the Gungeon, and handful of others and they all show the splash screen then crash back to the OS. Forza tossed a "took too long to open" error but none of the rest have.

Any advice?

Barudak
May 7, 2007

EC posted:

I got my XSX yesterday, and did the network transfer to get everything off the One X. I let it run overnight and everything seemed to work, except the XSX won't actually open any games. I've tried Forza, Doom, Enter the Gungeon, and handful of others and they all show the splash screen then crash back to the OS. Forza tossed a "took too long to open" error but none of the rest have.

Any advice?

Restart the console. Not factory reset, just the restart.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Barudak posted:

What I posted applies to all games, no patch needed. I should also mention load times are very very improved in addition to resolution/frame rate stability. Monster Hunter World for instance feels like a whole new game despite no patching.

For games that got patches it'll say X|S Enhanced. Microsoft has a list at https://www.xbox.com/en-US/games/optimized but I don't know how up to date or whatever it is.

Yeah I was curious which games on one X would get the s/x upgrades. It'd be cool if games there were quite broken like dishonoured 2's input lag got a patch to unlock the frame rate. Maybe now that they are an MS title they will go back and update all these games for series X.

Looks like it's mostly first party titles for now.

I moved all not big ticket games to the internal storage (cod mw, dirt rally, nfs hot pursuit, doom eternal) and the load times is very impressive. Waiting for MCC to download now.

Sitting on the cod lobby with a stable frame rate and no fan noise is a trip (even the one X was screaming there oddly). Literaly can't tell the difference between the normal and the hi-res texture pack.

Tetris effect will be fun when I'm super stoned later.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

Zerot posted:

Arkham Asylum runs at a capped 45 FPS on consoles, I think

what the gently caress

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓ð’‰𒋫 𒆷ð’€𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 ð’®𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Just ordered an LG CX despite already having a B8, which will now be my wife's reality trash tv. This has been an expensive year.

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

I've seen the LG CX series mentioned a couple of times here already. Why those? Are they the supreme choice for the true gamer?

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Quantum of Phallus posted:

what the gently caress

Doom's original framerate cap is an inexplicable 35

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Barudak posted:

Doom's original framerate cap is an inexplicable 35

Not really inexplicable. OG Doom uses mode 13h which runs at 320x200@70hz. Half that, 35.

May 11, 2007

Contains Carbon Monoxide

John F Bennett posted:

I've seen the LG CX series mentioned a couple of times here already. Why those? Are they the supreme choice for the true gamer?

LG's OLED are regarded as one of the best for the money from my research a year ago. I picked up a LG C8 which has been great but only has HDMI 2.0 not 2.1 so I've been thoroughly owned

Barudak
May 7, 2007

SCheeseman posted:

Not really inexplicable. OG Doom uses mode 13h which runs at 320x200@70hz. Half that, 35.

Mode 13h is just the color display, innit? The monitor refresh rate is unrelated, I thought, but yeah half a 70hz refresh rate makes sense. Quake 1 has a 72fps as well, Im guessing for the same 144hz reason.

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

Laserface posted:

Yeah I was curious which games on one X would get the s/x upgrades. It'd be cool if games there were quite broken like dishonoured 2's input lag got a patch to unlock the frame rate. Maybe now that they are an MS title they will go back and update all these games for series X.

I would be overjoyed if the Dishonored trilogy got updates to 60fps.

I know their new game Deathloop is very similar in gameplay but with Bioshock-styled art, but I wonder if it was Bethesda that told them to move on from the Dishonored IP and Microsoft might let them return to it? Deathloop looks great and I'll definitely buy it whenever it comes out on the XSX but I'd love the Dishonored series to continue and see more of the world. I think people expected the next numbered entry to be set in Tyvia? Arkane did a great job of creating a whole world to be immersed in, I'd love to see more of it. That and a return to Unreal Engine like the first game because the custom one they used for 2 & DotO was a mess. Phenomenal level design but I'm sure they could have accomplished the same with UE.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

SUNKOS posted:

I would be overjoyed if the Dishonored trilogy got updates to 60fps.

Yeah same. Arkane games run like absolute poo poo on console. Not sure what Xbox was like but Dishonored 2 on PS4/Pro is genuinely the worst-feeling console game I've ever played, it's like there's seconds of added input lag. Prey was also very bad.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I mean, Deathloop will come to the Excess? exes? Boxen? on game pass so no need to buy.

Also I thought an Arkane collection for next gen hardware was already announced.

Ouhei
Oct 23, 2008

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

hatty posted:

It’s discouraging seeing GameStop and others restock and my Microsoft.com order from two weeks ago has done nothing but issue authorization charges and say pending.

It’s so loving annoying. The current auth charge is now in its second day of holding my money hostage for no apparent reason.

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

any hot tips on when Series X might be back in stock?

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

hatty posted:

It’s discouraging seeing GameStop and others restock and my Microsoft.com order from two weeks ago has done nothing but issue authorization charges and say pending.

I am right there with you. I have been trying to find a Series X else where too and just cancel my Microsoft order. Although I think the other online retailers are not actually shipping out their systems anytime soon anyways.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Barudak posted:

Xbox to inadvertently provide the only non-messed up version of Shin Megami Tensei: Nocturne

There is an official HD release coming next year for PS4, and Switch!

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

I said come in! posted:

There is an official HD release coming next year for PS4, and Switch!

That's the version that's messed up. Low audio quality, crashing on ps4 and switch, and more issues.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Ineffiable posted:

That's the version that's messed up. Low audio quality, crashing on ps4 and switch, and more issues.

:( maybe it'll be fixed by the time the American version comes out?

Crafty
Dec 9, 2003

I CAN'T SEE SHIT.

xbox one is the best
I have been playing a lot more games since I got my Series X and I put that down to speedy boot up and game switching. I end up jumping in for quick games which just wasn't possible with the lovely loading times of last gen. It's taken three generations, but I'm finally going to complete GTA5 story, the loading times on that game just took too long for me in the past.

I forgot to download full spectrum warrior before it got taken off games with gold, its £11.99 :(

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Crafty posted:

I forgot to download full spectrum warrior before it got taken off games with gold, its £11.99 :(

You’re missing a novelty, not an actually great game or experience. If you have game pass and want to play an Xbox shooter, Black is right there and is better. Still mostly a novelty in 2020, console shooters used to be way, way worse than their PC counterparts back in Original Xbox generation.

Edit: I’m thinking of another game, apparently full spectrum warrior isn’t even a shooter. Huh!

Twerk from Home fucked around with this message at 16:42 on Nov 25, 2020

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

John F Bennett posted:

It supports all the features the XSX has.

The one that really makes it stand out from the Sony X900H and the Vizio 2020 P series X is 4K @ 120hz VRR from 40-120.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players
i've been playing control on my xsx and noticed some weirdness. a lot of the textures look incredibly lovely until you get unreasonably close, it's very noticeable with the posters on the wall and the keycard access points. there are also parts of conversations where the npc's lips move but there's no sound, and then the player character will respond normally. i've since turned on subtitles. were these things broken on previous gen or is it an artifact of backwards compatibility? is that something likely to be fixed when they do the update in january?