Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral

the sex ghost posted:

Spitting Image was actually always poo poo wasn't it. Like all the people saying that they wanted it to come back because it was so nasty is because it was just the same tedious gentle prodding of authority figures but you could feel cool for watching it
This is probably true if you look at the original series as a whole, but also the last skit on their 1987 election special (when everyone knew the Tories were getting landslide, and the special was the last thing broadcast before ITV cut to the results) was Thatcher's cabinet singing Tomorrow Belongs to Me, intercut with nature reserves being bulldozed and Met officers in Klan hoods, and the credits played out to a (real-life) kid giving a fascist salute in front of the Union Jack, so uh, it at least had its moments!

Coincidentally, the whole special and several uploads of the closing song used to be on Youtube, but they've all been scrubbed since the new series started airing, for some strange reason. (One version on dailymotion survived, for the curious: https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x2ohhib

edit: oops, sniped with reply to a post from 10 pages back, don't mind me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

yaffle
Sep 15, 2002

Flapdoodle
One of the little pleasures of my life is that my kids go to a school without a uniform, it's great. I hated school uniforms and all of the petty bullshit that accompanied them.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
Lol I think school uniform might be a slightly more deep seated issue for me than i realised as i've been unable to sleep properly tonight, anxiously awakening from uncomfortable uniformed dreams.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
Well, being forced into an unflattering and uncomfortable set of clothing during your awkward adolescent years is All Part of Growing Up imo :colbert:

Also, I had to suffer, so why should subsequent generations of kids get away with it.

OzyMandrill
Aug 12, 2013

Look upon my words
and despair

My kids have a pretty simple uniform that we can buy in Tescos. I'm too good to em, and iron it every morning just so it's nice and warm to put on.

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

some kind of standard dress code is fine but making kids wear blazers and ties is dumb as hell

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.
Uniforms have their downsides but I feel they have more upsides.

Especially if you live in a small town you always can find extra bits of uniform in the charity shops.

Also the way kids (going to gender stereotype and call out boys here) go through trousers having a fairly easy type of trouser to get hold of and is inexpensive is very handy.

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

kecske posted:

some kind of standard dress code is fine but making kids wear blazers and ties is dumb as hell

We had the option between shirt and tie and polo shirts with school crest

Except in 6th year where we had to wear a shirt and tie. But it was only for a year so no one complain ex that much.

Never had to wear blazers though.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

OzyMandrill posted:

My kids have a pretty simple uniform that we can buy in Tescos. I'm too good to em, and iron it every morning just so it's nice and warm to put on.

If you want to do that easier put it on the radiator. I do that with socks sometimes.

Vigil for Virgil posted:

Uniforms have their downsides but I feel they have more upsides.

Especially if you live in a small town you always can find extra bits of uniform in the charity shops.

Also the way kids (going to gender stereotype and call out boys here) go through trousers having a fairly easy type of trouser to get hold of and is inexpensive is very handy.

Personally I would go through kecks slower if I could wear trackie pants all the time because I wouldn't rip the gusset working so much :v:

Pantsmaster Bill
May 7, 2007

The regional office have decided to delay the Bristol West AGM and stop all CLP meetings until February, under the pretence that the EC weren’t capable of setting up and running the meetings. Except they never even contacted them, they just sent out a message to members saying it was cancelled.

(I’ve cancelled my debit but I’m still in the FB group)

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
I don't really remember a lot about my school days but at some point there I learned to write and since writing is needed for posting I guess the uniforms were all worthwhile.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse
Making kids wear ties is some real "the cruelty is the point" poo poo.

Those things are a Very Bad Idea for adults half the time, nevermind kids, well-known for having poor impulse control.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
One of the games I played at school was pulling another kid's tie so hard the knot became impossible to untie

(but my favourite game was, while standing in morning assembly, repeatedly kicking the student two rows in front of me so that they would blame the student behind them and kick them back and then just watch it descend into chaos)

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

but my favourite game was, while standing in morning assembly, repeatedly kicking the student two rows in front of me

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

I was too young to watch Spitting Image, but always heard stories of how harsh and cutting the satire was.

Then the new one came along and the satire is like someone decided DeadRingers was far too mean.

The political landscape is just ripe for being torn apart in comedy, Antiviral Wipe is a cracking example. So Spitting Image is neither relevant, or funny really.

Plus it's on some lovely subscription service that I imagine is used entirely by olds

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Between morning assemblies and kids wearing shirts and ties I'm getting some real fascist vibes here.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

my only uniform opinion is that making little boys wear shorts all year round is cruel and unusual punishment

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

u brexit ukip it posted:

Between morning assemblies and kids wearing shirts and ties I'm getting some real fascist vibes here.

Did you not go to school in the UK (sorry I just presume all the US posters are asleep atm)

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse
The whole situation is a striking and daring example of the anti-dada ideology, fractal fascism.

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

Dabir posted:

my only uniform opinion is that making little boys wear shorts all year round is cruel and unusual punishment

Yeah gently caress schools that do this. We had a choice of shorts or trousers so everyone wore trousers.

My biggest gripe with "uniform" was that for PE I wasn't allowed to wear basketball shorts as they were too "restricting" because they went below the knee.

I get that for things like gymnastics or something (even then it's a huge loving stretch) but for literally playing basketball im pretty sure my teacher was just a paedo

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting

u brexit ukip it posted:

this is every school?

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

I get the anti-bullying aspect of uniforms, and not being a teacher or parent I can't pretend to know how effective it is. I didn't notice any particular issues on non-uniform day though.

I don't really have an issue with wearing some trousers and a plain white shirt. The tie and blazer I had to wear was ridiculous though. I remember in my school the peanuting issue got so bad that they ended up replacing the proper ties with clip ons at some point (I think mine was the last year with proper ties, which signalled us as mature older cool kids).

So pulling the tie just ripped it off instead of tightening the knot. Much better.

Pantsmaster Bill
May 7, 2007

My uniform was:
Grey shorts
Blue shirt
Blue/yellow striped tie
Grey felt cap
Grey tweed blazer
Grey long calf socks
Black shoes for outside
Brown sandals for inside
Briefcase

Why yes we did get bullied by the other schools in the area, why do you ask

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.
Briefcase wanker

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Pantsmaster Bill posted:

My uniform was:
Grey shorts
Blue shirt
Blue/yellow striped tie
Grey felt cap
Grey tweed blazer
Grey long calf socks
Black shoes for outside
Brown sandals for inside
Briefcase

I want to bully you now for this what the gently caress.

I'm actually struggling to put them all together, I'm getting some kind of weird farmer boy scout wearing a tie and sandals and carrying a briefcase image.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Ratjaculation posted:

I was too young to watch Spitting Image, but always heard stories of how harsh and cutting the satire was.

Then the new one came along and the satire is like someone decided DeadRingers was far too mean.

The political landscape is just ripe for being torn apart in comedy, Antiviral Wipe is a cracking example. So Spitting Image is neither relevant, or funny really.

Plus it's on some lovely subscription service that I imagine is used entirely by olds

Back then Hale and Pace were considered the Frankie Boyles of late night comedy.
loving Hale and Pace.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.
I'm thinking a young nigel farage.

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

I quite liked my blazer, definitely compared to the brightly coloured jumpers other schools had, plus resembling business wear meant that I just had to change my tie & people would sell me alcohol :shrug:

One of the games I played at school was pulling another kid's tie so hard the knot became impossible to untie
These were called peanuts & were endemic at my school, despite the fatal flaw that it takes two hands & leaves you vulnerable to getting smashed in the face

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Pantsmaster Bill posted:

My uniform was:
Grey shorts
Blue shirt
Blue/yellow striped tie
Grey felt cap
Grey tweed blazer
Grey long calf socks
Black shoes for outside
Brown sandals for inside
Briefcase

How much were your school fees?

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Vigil for Virgil posted:

Did you not go to school in the UK (sorry I just presume all the US posters are asleep atm)

No, I'm officially Not From 'Round Here. I understand the reasoning behind dress codes and uniforms to a degree but going full suit/tie weirds me out.

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

Borrovan posted:

These were called peanuts & were endemic at my school, despite the fatal flaw that it takes two hands & leaves you vulnerable to getting smashed in the face

You clearly had incompetent bullies. Hard to smash someone in the face when their mates are twisting your arms

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

u brexit ukip it posted:

No, I'm officially Not From 'Round Here. I understand the reasoning behind dress codes and uniforms to a degree but going full suit/tie weirds me out.

Ties I can understand. Blazers can gently caress off.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.
If you don't have a tie how will everyone know which House you're in

E: I remember the teachers desperately trying to spin up competition between the houses it was pathetic. Like, I've been randomly assigned to this house why would I give a single solitary poo poo about competing with someone randomly assigned to another house

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe
One justification that was given for uniforms where I went to school was that it made it easier for truant officers and shopkeepers to identify where miscreants came from. This was entirely hosed by the fact the uniforms were identical for all but one of the five schools in the area, apart from badges and ties. One of the coolness indicators was if you only sewed the badge at the top edge so you could flip it up into the pocket and remove your tie, making you completely invisible when you did your many, many crimes (obviously the kids who *did* actually go out and do poo poo just took their blazers off or put a jacket over them depending on season).

Also the actual fun thing (for my all-boys school) was obtaining a badge and tie for another school (easily bought at the one shop that sold them all and no doubt had a profit margin that would make Pablo Escobar blush) so you could sneak in at breaks to talk to girls. This did not work at the Catholic girls school no matter how much you argued with the nuns.

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

Borrovan posted:

Lol if you didn't do strafe attacks as you were walking through the halls so people couldn't catch you.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Dabir posted:

This but also trousers in summer and also girls and skirts and also assuming there's only two genders.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

My blazer had the school's big gently caress off boat logo sewn onto the front pocket so I couldn't even use it to look older.

One fun consequence of ties was that it became an unspoken thing that everyone would get the tie as short as you physically could. So you'd regularly see a windsor knot with two centimeters of fabric poking through the bottom of it.

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you don't have a tie how will everyone know which House you're in

E: I remember the teachers desperately trying to spin up competition between the houses it was pathetic. Like, I've been randomly assigned to this house why would I give a single solitary poo poo about competing with someone randomly assigned to another house

The private school I went to in Kenya actually made a big deal out of houses and did it in a good way where they felt like communities.

Like every 6 months you would have a house day where school was suspended for the day and each house would have a their own massive BBQ

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

:anarchists:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.
Another thing I enjoyed doing was hammering a 50p coin into the floorboards at strategic locations, with a bit of glue for good measure, so that when everyone changed classes there was a giant bottleneck when literally every kid stopped to try and pick it up. Of course there's always one that refuses to be defeated and goes to get a chisel from d&t

Vigil for Virgil posted:

The private school I went to in Kenya actually made a big deal out of houses and did it in a good way where they felt like communities.

Like every 6 months you would have a house day where school was suspended for the day and each house would have a their own massive BBQ

Now that I like. I don't recall anything like that