Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Narcissus1916 posted:

Thanks everyone for your blunt honesty about SLI (two GTX 980s) essentially being outdated technology. With my other specs, is it worth throwing in a midline graphics card or am I looking at a total rebuild (in general, not just for VR)?

To be fair, I literally bought this off a friend for $200 a year ago, so I'm not exactly bitching much.

Other specs: Intel i7 -@ 3.5 Ghz, 12 GB Ram

On a different note, I expect you to die is entirely too fun of a time. Really really digging its vibe.

Throw a 1660ti or even a 2070 in that and you're golden.
Waaaayyyy back in the day there was serious talk about VR specific usage of two graphics cards, where one car would do the left eye and the other the right eye.
People were excited for a while about it but it never went anywhere

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Beens
Dec 2, 2006

Managed to order one, but they are already sold out

Chadzok
Apr 25, 2002

Mr Beens posted:

Managed to order one, but they are already sold out

I was able to order in AU after you posted, may be regional stock

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

peter gabriel posted:

Throw a 1660ti or even a 2070 in that and you're golden.
Waaaayyyy back in the day there was serious talk about VR specific usage of two graphics cards, where one car would do the left eye and the other the right eye.
People were excited for a while about it but it never went anywhere

Rad! I'll keep an eye out for any sales over the holiday.

playground tough
Oct 29, 2007
Thanks to those who gave me good info on optimizing my Q2 link connection. Link is pretty badass now, but I've noticed some issues when using it for pavlov. I get input lag/button misses when spamming semi-auto shots, this doesn't seem fixable unless there's a steamvr patch or something. Additionally, using the oculus virtual audio drivers for voip with my friends has been consistently annoying. Also the wire :-/

Soooo It looks like its Link for sit down experiences like elite and racing sims and VD for multiplayer...

Problem now is I'm getting frame drops, seemingly on the virtual desktop side (this is probably why I thought VD was poo poo before). It looks like the VD statistics like decode/network latency are all consistent except for framerate. Which is weird considering I optimize my game settings so the steam vr frame timing is pretty much always sufficiently in the green for 90hz. The frame drops happen on the VD end in more complex rendering situations. Some examples from pavlov: dual wielding two SMGs in firing range and emptying both clips at the same time, and zooming all the way out in a multiplayer match. There's one more symptom: I seem to get packet loss in voip and in game, my friends complain I sound like a robot when I'm on VD

I don't really know enough about video encoding or networking to know where this issue is in my system.. any insight? My router's pretty old..

Obviously can't have my framerate drop to 50 when I'm trying to shoot mans in a semi competitive multiplayer game :bahgawd:

by.a.teammate
Jun 27, 2007
theres nothing wrong with the word panties

Lockback posted:

Wait, are you using the wired or the wirelss version? Are you installing from the Quest store? Because there's a difference between the two.

I got the one off the quest store then did the side quest patch, that’s the right way ... right ?

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
1/16 Native American + 1/2 Hungarian = Totally Badass
So how do I make beat saber look like this and can I do it using the native Quest 2 version? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b-w8eT9kBCE

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

by.a.teammate posted:

I got the one off the quest store then did the side quest patch, that’s the right way ... right ?

Quest store, yeah. You got it from your Quest itself? Maybe uninstall and redo the whole thing, I have no idea how you're missing menus like that. Maybe take a screenshot of what the whole screen looks like and share it here?

Grashnak
Apr 30, 2006

Oven Wrangler

KingKapalone posted:

So how do I make beat saber look like this and can I do it using the native Quest 2 version? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b-w8eT9kBCE

I don't think you can install all the mods that change how the maps look on the native quest version of beat saber. There are a few mods for that version but I've never been able to get them to actually work and I don't think they go that far in changing the looks either.

If you wanted to get it looking like that you'd have to buy and mod the PC version of beat saber (there's no cross-buy with the quest version) and then run it over link. Even then the added latency would probably make it a little iffy to play on the higher difficulties.

KinkyJohn
Sep 19, 2002

Are there any vr apps/games using quixel megascans in unreal or do they have too much of a performance hit for vr?

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

KinkyJohn posted:

Are there any vr apps/games using quixel megascans in unreal or do they have too much of a performance hit for vr?

What you're looking for more specifically is photogrammetry. There's a bunch of photogrammetric environments on SteamVR Home and the Lab has a few too.Vanishing of Ethan Carter used photogrammetry heavily and has VR support. Puzzling Places on Quest turns scans into jigsaw puzzles. Do a search on Steam for photogrammetry and you should get a bunch of relevant results.

I also recommend Google's Welcome to Light Fields and their followup lightfield video demo. It's not quite the same, but is another way of viewing captured photorealistic environments and objects with 6DOF.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R73-DHs8BLA

Twibbit
Mar 7, 2013

Is your refrigerator running?

KinkyJohn posted:

Quixel megascan assets come in many quality levels. Nothing stopping people from using them in vr if they choose an appropriate level of quality.

KTS
Jun 22, 2004

I wax my rocket every day!

Narcissus1916 posted:

Rad! I'll keep an eye out for any sales over the holiday.

I'd hold off on something like the 2070 for the time being, 3060ti is due to be announced Dec 2nd with an expected price of $400USD, that should do 2080 Super performance.

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

VR-cheology time: It's VR RRRIIIIIICCCCKKKK!!!
GDC post-mortem of Virtual Rick-ality
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7aqIbeQQL8c

Features include:
* Updating their Job Simulator tech
* Zone-based teleportation
* The owner of Owlchemy Labs' accent when he says 'garage'
* Making portals work in room scale VR

8one6 fucked around with this message at 09:09 on Nov 25, 2020

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.
I am Most Important Man. Most Important Man in the World.
So how does Quest and Facebook bans work in Europe? I can't imagine how they could get away with it with EU consumer protection. If my account got banned I'd probably just do a RMA in the store.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
I'd imagine they work the same way steam bans or psn bans or any other game service.

by.a.teammate
Jun 27, 2007

Lockback posted:

Quest store, yeah. You got it from your Quest itself? Maybe uninstall and redo the whole thing, I have no idea how you're missing menus like that. Maybe take a screenshot of what the whole screen looks like and share it here?

right here's some screengrabs, this is off a fresh install and patch, then a restart then patched again just in case!

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

by.a.teammate posted:

right here's some screengrabs, this is off a fresh install and patch, then a restart then patched again just in case!

Ah ha! You're on a Quest 1! That's my bad, I'm assuming there are probably some options missing for that. I don't have any experience using VD with a Quest 1.

by.a.teammate
Jun 27, 2007

Lockback posted:

Ah ha! You're on a Quest 1! That's my bad, I'm assuming there are probably some options missing for that. I don't have any experience using VD with a Quest 1.

oh maybe it's a quest 2 interface thing? that seems weird it's always on with quest 1 though

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

by.a.teammate posted:

oh maybe it's a quest 2 interface thing? that seems weird it's always on with quest 1 though

I would guess its off, its off by default. What does the overlay give you for latency numbers? What are all 4 numbers?

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

SW Squadrons update. This is is the VR section

quote:

VR

Skyboxes now have increased resolution for high-rez VR headsets

Added an option for PC players to adjust their VR resolution scaling

Players using high resolution headsets (such as the Valve Index) should be able to enjoy higher frame rates without requiring the most powerful GPUs

Added an option for PC users to use forward rendering, potentially improving their VR performance

The game now uses less intensive forward shading when using the "Low" lighting quality setting in the graphics options, allowing VR to be used on mid-tier and even some lower-tier PCs

Fixed an issue where black bars would appear when transitioning out of a PvP match if the player died at the same time.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Lockback posted:

I'd imagine they work the same way steam bans or psn bans or any other game service.

My understanding is that currently the Faceculus bans block you from everything.

Not sure about t consoles but at least Steam doesn't do that. An account may be suspended or restricted and unable to make transactions or participate in the Steam Community but it can still access all of its purchased games and even play online on non-VAC servers.

They also have much more granular restrictions available, so unless you're being actively malicious to the service itself you'll likely only get a VAC ban or community restriction.

I'm neither European nor a lawyer but it seems like that'd make a huge difference legally.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

wolrah posted:

My understanding is that currently the Faceculus bans block you from everything.

Not sure about t consoles but at least Steam doesn't do that. An account may be suspended or restricted and unable to make transactions or participate in the Steam Community but it can still access all of its purchased games and even play online on non-VAC servers.

They also have much more granular restrictions available, so unless you're being actively malicious to the service itself you'll likely only get a VAC ban or community restriction.

I'm neither European nor a lawyer but it seems like that'd make a huge difference legally.

I'd wager it's to skirt EU data-retention regulations. It's possible if all the Oculus stuff was in their own separate component of the account, they couldn't legally get at it for Facebook data-harvesting. But if it's all one single account, they can do whatever they like to it as the data is part of one account on one system.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

Turin Turambar posted:

I love, love, love how much work they've put into this game since its "this is so cool but also a drat mess" launch. Can't wait to try this out! Between all these fixes and the upcoming private games patch, they're really doing some good poo poo :allears:

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

quote:

"Players using high resolution headsets (such as the Valve Index) ... "

EA, there are two headsets with more resolution already! :P

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

wolrah posted:

Thats a community ban form Steam, or a VAC ban. You can also get an account ban. Happened to a friend of mine for no certifiable reason and it took a few weeks to get restored, he flat out wasn't allowed to sign in. PSN and XBox also have multiple levels of ban including account ban. I've also seen people online who've gotten account banned when doing homebrew stuff, again you can't sign in in those situations.

Every service like that has ways to spike an account.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

8one6 posted:

VR-cheology time: It's VR RRRIIIIIICCCCKKKK!!!
GDC post-mortem of Virtual Rick-ality
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7aqIbeQQL8c

Features include:
* Updating their Job Simulator tech
* Zone-based teleportation
* The owner of Owlchemy Labs' accent when he says 'garage'
* Making portals work in room scale VR

This is really cool too. I didn't realize Owlchemy made Virtual Rickality. Huh!

Continuing the old GDC talks about VR development train, here's one about porting TF2

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gpr0FE2ATaY

Turin Turambar posted:

Really, really, really wish this was in for the release instead of 2 months later, but hey.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
This releases in just a few days:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PfbvlICctKs

OctaviusBeaver
Apr 30, 2009

Say what now?

Zaphod42 posted:

This is really cool too. I didn't realize Owlchemy made Virtual Rickality. Huh!

Continuing the old GDC talks about VR development train, here's one about porting TF2

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gpr0FE2ATaY

Wait, you can play TF2 in VR right now? Why does nobody talk about this?

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

OctaviusBeaver posted:

It was in for a while along with HL2 native support, used to play it on the DK2 but they took it out before the retail Rift hit
It used a mode called 'extended mode' where your PC thought it had two monitors and it simply ran the game on the 'monitor' your Rift was set as.
It was janky as hell but it did mean you could do some fun stuff with it

El Jeffe
Dec 24, 2009

Anybody played FO4 or Skyrim on Index? Which one is less of a chore to get working with index controllers?

Unrelated edit: Budget Cuts has smooth locomotion now right? You just hold forward on joystick and move forward, no arm swinging?

El Jeffe fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Nov 25, 2020

axeil
Feb 14, 2006
Question for everyone:

I got my Reverb G2 yesterday and got it set up. Seems pretty good so far but my right hand controller seems really jittery. When I play Beat Saber the right hand jumps all over the place.

I'm using these batteries on the left hand one: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B082W2MP8Y/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I would use them on both hands but one of the batteries seems defective as the jitter was even worse with those batteries installed. I'm back to using the included batteries. Maybe it'll be fixed if I get another set and use those?

I've only got my desk lamp on in the room and I rolled my drivers back. Any other tips for how to fix the jitter?

axeil fucked around with this message at 22:02 on Nov 25, 2020

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

OctaviusBeaver posted:

It didn't work very well so they stopped working on it. Which is really lame, because it was kinda fun, but it was also pretty pukey.
Like, the game still had a HUD, even in VR. They kinda moved it in and pushed it forwards so you didn't struggle to look at the corner of your vision, but it was really annoying and not a great VR design.

But they haven't bothered to update it for modern VR so its essentially broken and gone now.

They also did the same with HL2 for awhile, here's a video of me playing it on a DK2 with a Razer Hydra SEVEN YEARS AGO :corsair: lmao
At least with HL2 they didn't have the HUD so much as put it on your hands.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ChUFeWn1FI

They actually let you swing a crowbar unlike HL: Alyx :smith:

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 22:02 on Nov 25, 2020

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

axeil posted:

Question for everyone:

I got my Reverb G2 yesterday and got it set up. Seems pretty good so far but my right hand controller seems really jittery. When I play Beat Saber the right hand jumps all over the place.

I'm using these batteries on the left hand one: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B082W2MP8Y/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I would use them on both hands but one of the batteries seems defective as the jitter was even worse with those batteries installed. I'm back to using the included batteries. Maybe it'll be fixed if I get another set and use those?

I've only got my desk lamp on in the room and I rolled my drivers back. Any other tips for how to fix the jitter?

From what I've seen (mostly https://www.reddit.com/r/HPReverb/comments/jywd2r/tracking_quality_update_confirmation_that_you/) it seems like the tracking quality can depend a lot on the battery, like you found out. It seems like higher voltage is better, and certain kinds of rechargeable have lower voltage than non-rechargeables. Worth experimenting with (though it sounds like a huge pain in the rear end)

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Lemming posted:

From what I've seen (mostly https://www.reddit.com/r/HPReverb/comments/jywd2r/tracking_quality_update_confirmation_that_you/) it seems like the tracking quality can depend a lot on the battery, like you found out. It seems like higher voltage is better, and certain kinds of rechargeable have lower voltage than non-rechargeables. Worth experimenting with (though it sounds like a huge pain in the rear end)

That’s some fragile poo poo right there. I wonder what led to that.

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

Zaphod42 posted:

They also did the same with HL2 for awhile, here's a video of me playing it on a DK2 with a Razer Hydra SEVEN YEARS AGO :corsair: lmao
At least with HL2 they didn't have the HUD so much as put it on your hands.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ChUFeWn1FI

They actually let you swing a crowbar unlike HL: Alyx :smith:

I also played HL2 on a DK1 with Razer Hydra and it makes me sad that there still isn't an equivalently awesome way to play HL2 now. It was really mind-blowing, despite the ridiculous setup and nest of wires.

You can play HL2 in VR through Garry's Mod but it's very janky. I still occasionally check on the HL2VR mod but I'm starting to think it's never going to come out.

Someone will probably port all of Half Life 2 into Alyx before they release anything.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Looks cool. Ace Combat VR!

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Lemming posted:

Thanks. I suppose I'll experiment with it.

Is there any way to just smooth the controller? It works fine, it's just jittery as hell so pointing and clicking at things is a real pain.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

axeil posted:

Thanks. I suppose I'll experiment with it.

Is there any way to just smooth the controller? It works fine, it's just jittery as hell so pointing and clicking at things is a real pain.

I'm afraid I don't know much about G2 or WMR in general besides picking things up I see people talking about, sorry. That doesn't sound like a thing I've heard of, though. Might be worth messing around with your lighting as well, though I assume you've already done that? Apparently it doesn't like it when it's too light, or too dark, or there's a bright light behind the controller, or if it's a Tuesday, etc