Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ruggan
Feb 20, 2007
WHAT THAT SMELL LIKE?!

figgielands?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
lands where you can earn some figgies

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug

Ruggan posted:

figgielands?

Figures, as in 6 figures (100k) of income. As people pointed out, hilariously unfair tech salaries really only happen in a few very specific places.

Ruggan
Feb 20, 2007
WHAT THAT SMELL LIKE?!

bob dobbs is dead posted:

lands where you can earn some figgies

like Scottsdale AZ or Dubuque IA?

Ruggan
Feb 20, 2007
WHAT THAT SMELL LIKE?!

Ensign Expendable posted:

Figures, as in 6 figures (100k) of income. As people pointed out, hilariously unfair tech salaries really only happen in a few very specific places.

Don’t forget Chicago! Denver isn’t too bad either.

Gildiss
Aug 24, 2010

Grimey Drawer

spooky ghost posted:

i'll take time out of this shithole - what primary markets should i target?

Charlotte is bank town if you can stomach working for those ghouls. But that goes for most tech jobs. A little closer than the others if that is an immediate concern.

spooky ghost
Feb 11, 2020

Lipstick Apathy

Gildiss posted:

Charlotte is bank town if you can stomach working for those ghouls. But that goes for most tech jobs. A little closer than the others if that is an immediate concern.

I mean, I am a ghost already

Charlotte could work; Finance isn't so bad.

gbut
Mar 28, 2008

😤I put the UN🇺🇳 in 🎊FUN🎉

If you're more into cult-like feel than suits, Red Ventures is right across the border, in Indian Land, SC.

No, that wasn't a joke.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

At no point in your career will you have options in South Carolina.

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice
Today I will be making my first big boy counteroffer (as in, not a token counter to an offer I’d be accepting anyway) and I’m nervous!

Coffee Jones
Jul 4, 2004

16 bit? Back when we was kids we only got a single bit on Christmas, as a treat
And we had to share it!
I got a call from a recruiter, and I checked out their website

They had an address listed and its in some McMansion hellscape. The bar for entry is very very low for recruiters.
I worked a remote contract for a company based in Texas two years ago and now these idiots are contacting me for in person positions.

If I wanted to have a bad two weeks I'd post my resume on Dice and get rung by every call center in India offering some $40/hr 1099 in Delaware.

Coffee Jones fucked around with this message at 18:55 on Oct 28, 2020

Ruggan
Feb 20, 2007
WHAT THAT SMELL LIKE?!

I&# 39;d say it looks like a great opportunity.

Just think about the [replace later] you could have working there!

dividertabs
Oct 1, 2004

I'm currently a Senior backend dev, and I'm going to be applying for Senior-level backend or fullstack jobs.

Is adding this (as my only personal project) to my resume more likely to help me than harm me?

quote:

Picky Poll
pickypoll.com
* Independently created a public website focused on convenient ranked-choice voting.
* Developed Scala/Akka backend and TypeScript/React frontend. Deployed to Kubernetes.

(The next thing to work on will be getting its source code to a presentable state, but I want to start applying to jobs now.)

TheCog
Jul 30, 2012

I AM ZEPA AND I CLAIM THESE LANDS BY RIGHT OF CONQUEST

dividertabs posted:

I'm currently a Senior backend dev, and I'm going to be applying for Senior-level backend or fullstack jobs.

Is adding this (as my only personal project) to my resume more likely to help me than harm me?

(The next thing to work on will be getting its source code to a presentable state, but I want to start applying to jobs now.)

This would not hurt you. I have worse personal projects on my resume.

asur
Dec 28, 2012

dividertabs posted:

You should make it clear what it is because I thought it was a project to push ranked choice voting for elections which would be potentially more divisive than what it actually is.

dividertabs
Oct 1, 2004

asur posted:

You should make it clear what it is because I thought it was a project to push ranked choice voting for elections
Based on the resume summary, or on the linked "About" page? Is:

quote:

Independently created a public website implementing a convenient workflow for ranked-choice voting
clearer?

Comb Your Beard
Sep 28, 2007

Chillin' like a villian.
I've been working at the same job since 2012. 35 years old. Living in the DC area. I do in-house webapps fullstack in the telecommunications industry. A lot of SQL. I generally like my job but feel slightly underpaid. Making $105k plus some occasional <$10k stock grants. Get a grand and change raise per year. Great work life balance, pretty chill, been home bc of Covid. Like my boss.

My wife really got on me to do something that earns more money. Housing and kids are expensive. Thing is I don't know where I want to work. I'm pretty sure I don't want to do gov't consulting. Newest stack I worked on was Larvael PHP and VueJS, very modern SPA JS front end. Only part of my job is working with brand new tech though, lot of supporting legacy things.

Am I underpaid? Should I buck up and start putting myself out there? Wife does have a point. What are the good job boards these days? In the past I liked Stack Overflow. Interviewed a bit in the past but nothing came of it. Would Amazon be a bad fit?

Paolomania
Apr 26, 2006

Glassdoor says that is middling for a SWE with less experience than you in the DC area. I bet that with your experience a job hop would get you a pay bump, but you will have to do your research to get both a pay bump and those quality of life aspects of your current job. Leaving the DC area could probably get you a bigger pay bump. Another alternative is using this knowledge as leverage to try to negotiate at your current job.

tortilla_chip
Jun 13, 2007

k-partite
I would check out levels.fyi

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
A $1.5k raise on a $100k salary is sub-inflationary, so they're paying you less and less every year. If you want to make more money, you can't stay where you are.

Comb Your Beard
Sep 28, 2007

Chillin' like a villian.

tortilla_chip posted:

I would check out levels.fyi

This looks way better than the sites I was using to look at averages, thanks.

Looks like the past 4 yearly raises were about $2k. Still not great.

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

For basic CRUD work looks an ok salary if was outside of DC?

https://www.statista.com/statistics/244983/projected-inflation-rate-in-the-united-states/

Comb Your Beard
Sep 28, 2007

Chillin' like a villian.
What are the primo job sites? I remember dice was full of junk, indeed kind of in between, stack overflow good. How about hired.com and the other do-it-for-you shops?

Comb Your Beard fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Nov 17, 2020

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010
Honest to god thinks Half Life 2 is a bad game. But at least he likes Monster Hunter.

Comb Your Beard posted:

What are the primo job sites? I remember dice was full of junk, indeed kind of in between, stack overflow good. How about hired.com and the other do-it-for-you shops?

LinkedIn

There are some industry specific things as well depending on what you're looking for.

asur
Dec 28, 2012
DC does not pay that well. You should be able to get to 125k - 175k, but after it's going to be significantly more difficult than other high CoL areas.

Tezzeract
Dec 25, 2007

Think I took a wrong turn...

Comb Your Beard posted:

Am I underpaid? Should I buck up and start putting myself out there? Wife does have a point. What are the good job boards these days? In the past I liked Stack Overflow. Interviewed a bit in the past but nothing came of it. Would Amazon be a bad fit?

Before really committing to a job hunt, you have to get an understanding of the kind of lifestyle you/your family want to achieve. If it's just a matter of making more money, it's definitely way easier to ask for a raise than to jump into the job market and brave the uncertainties. It sounds like you're a good worker and you might be able to get things your way because you are underpaid.

It's different if you're bored or jealous of some of the salaries people seem to be able to command. This kind of relates to my current situation, but it is pretty frustrating to know that the top end of the market is 2-10x what you're being compensated right now. It's a bit of a 'first world problem, because getting paid six figures with good WLB is a good deal, but sometimes you can't reason away the different pressures on your life.

Tezzeract fucked around with this message at 05:07 on Nov 25, 2020

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

I feel like you’re seriously over thinking it.

There are definitely varying levels of attention you can spend on the job hunt.

Like, you can just turn the recruiter flag on in LinkedIn and chill out for a few months if you wanted.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!

The Fool posted:

Like, you can just turn the recruiter flag on in LinkedIn and chill out for a few months if you wanted.

This is what I did last week, I originally planned to manually search as well but at the moment I'm getting a frenzy of messages from recruiters every day and just replying to them is taking up more time than I'd like. It's really helped me understand the demands in my area and how much I could get pay wise.

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015
That reminds me, I need to turn that toggle off -- got an offer from MS that's way better than 99% of the recruiter messages :v:

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Mega Comrade posted:

This is what I did last week, I originally planned to manually search as well but at the moment I'm getting a frenzy of messages from recruiters every day and just replying to them is taking up more time than I'd like. It's really helped me understand the demands in my area and how much I could get pay wise.

I did it this spring, and got a job for my trouble that I'm starting at on Monday.

I got probably 3-5 recruiter messages a day.

1-2 / month that were worth replying to.

3 of those resulted in interviews.

So, took about 8 months to go from decision to new job, but it was really low effort and to get a 30% raise and 100% remote.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

If you're not in a hurry, I also endorse the passive LinkedIn "i'm looking" flag & strategy. You'll get a lot of noise but some good signal does come through eventually.

Within a couple months I got a great contact from a company I was interested in. My base salary increased ~20%, and total comp has basically doubled thanks to stock performance.

Amazing ROI for very little effort.

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

MY CONTEMPT FOR MY OWN EMPLOYEES IS ONLY MATCHED BY MY LOVE FOR TOM BRADY'S SWEATY MAGA BALLS
I haven't looked into it at all but does LinkedIn prevent people from your company from seeing that you're looking?

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

They say that they make an effort but don't guarantee anything.

asur
Dec 28, 2012

Blinkz0rz posted:

I haven't looked into it at all but does LinkedIn prevent people from your company from seeing that you're looking?

Yes, it's hiden from your company and affiliated companies recruiters. Presumably recruiters looking to hire from LinkedIn are in those two categories.

Tezzeract
Dec 25, 2007

Think I took a wrong turn...
Thanks for the LinkedIn tips, I'll try it out.

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true
Finally got my official company title from my switch to management in the Spring, and it's fancy: Director of R&D

Corporate life is interesting. COVID really screws with everything.

lifg
Dec 4, 2000
<this tag left blank>
Muldoon
Congrats! And yes, yes it does.

gbut
Mar 28, 2008

😤I put the UN🇺🇳 in 🎊FUN🎉

asur posted:

Yes, it's hiden from your company and affiliated companies recruiters. Presumably recruiters looking to hire from LinkedIn are in those two categories.

I'd be surprised if larger companies didn't have some "unaffiliated" accounts for recruiters to spy on the workforce.

E: Congratulations, kayakyakr. That's a sweet title. What industry are you in, if you don't mind me asking?

gbut fucked around with this message at 14:48 on Dec 18, 2020

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

gbut posted:

E: Congratulations, kayakyakr. That's a sweet title. What industry are you in, if you don't mind me asking?

Just a software development, B2B business. My boss enjoys calling our development team R&D, so that's what he submitted. The mothership has no standardized ladder/library of titles (actually one of the projects I'm working on), so titles can get real creative.

If I had to translate the position, it would be halfway between a Senior EM and a Director as I am heading a product that used to be its own company, but the team is fairly small.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comradephate
Feb 28, 2009

College Slice

gbut posted:

I'd be surprised if larger companies didn't have some "unaffiliated" accounts for recruiters to spy on the workforce.

I think pretty much any company with the resources to scan for disloyal employees by deceiving linkedin doesn't actually care about employee disloyalty. They use their employee spying efforts for union busting and detecting corporate espionage: things that are actual threats to the bottom line. Senior Software Engineer #17345 going from Google to Facebook is not really a threat to the business.