Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fyrbrand
Dec 30, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Barely any time for hobby during pandemic hell, but I was able to finish Dr. Strange and his bro Wong.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lady Militant
Apr 8, 2020

The history of all hitherto existing society is the history of class struggles.
Me and my gf wanna paint a Imperial Guard armored regiment, Iv basically read the entire OP and Iv got some past experience with model building but what with the pandemic on I'm wondering where I should go to buy my paints from? The colors we want to use are fairly vibrant so the old modeling paint I have doesn't cut it.

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

Where are you located.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

Lady Militant posted:

Me and my gf wanna paint a Imperial Guard armored regiment, Iv basically read the entire OP and Iv got some past experience with model building but what with the pandemic on I'm wondering where I should go to buy my paints from? The colors we want to use are fairly vibrant so the old modeling paint I have doesn't cut it.

If you're in the US and not specifically wanting to stick to Citadel paints, Michigan Toy Solider and Miniature Market have a pretty good online selection. MTS in particular tends to have stuff like Scale75 / Reaper / P3 paints that most shops either don't carry or have super limited stock of. If you're specifically looking for vibrant colors, Vallejo Game Color is more saturated and more highly pigmented than their paints meant for historical modelling. They're also much cheaper than Citadel paints and have infinitely better dropper bottles instead of Citadel's lovely pots that seem designed to seal poorly so that your paint dries out.

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes
If you’re looking for vibrant colors also check out the Vallejo Mecha line, should be available in nerd stores that sell a lot of Gundams.

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

Finished my Thousand Sons Maulerfiend.

^burtle
Jul 17, 2001

God of Boomin'

^^ love that blue!

crossposting my deff dread from the 40k thread:

^burtle posted:

i’m way too slow a painter for how messy i can be but i finally finished my deff dread! sorry for the searing white.

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

F-F-FRIDAY NIGHT MOTHERFUCKERS

Rar

with a rebel yell she QQd
Jan 18, 2007

Villain

Skails posted:

Hey, finished up some death stuff over the last month or so:

Armored Skeletons/Grave Guard

Chainrasp

Mordheim Vampire

Teach me please!

Chiwie
Oct 21, 2010

DROP YOUR COAT AND GRAB YOUR TOES, I'LL SHOW YOU WHERE THE WILD GOOSE GOES!!!!
Playing with some lamenter schemes at the moment and I think this is a winner. Still have no idea how to do the checks though.

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

Chiwie posted:

Playing with some lamenter schemes at the moment and I think this is a winner. Still have no idea how to do the checks though.

if you can stand the hellish amount of work and tedious fidgeting you could try taking an exacto knife to some masking tape to spray a checker pattern on the surface. That's generally how this is done with larger scale models and planes.

Mirthless fucked around with this message at 13:20 on Nov 23, 2020

Big Willy Style
Feb 11, 2007

How many Astartes do you know that roll like this?

Chiwie posted:

forgo neatness and lean into the grim dark

https://www.instagram.com/p/B_ZQPLHlYs8/?igshid=1ore8gidzcda

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Taping and spraying on a shoulder pad that small would just be silly

A fine point and thin paint is what you need. Mark out the grid with some very thin paint so it's easy to paint over or correct wobbles and then fill the blocks carefully

If you struggle to draw straight lines with a brush a thin mechanical pencil works too

There's no real shortcuts, its just a practice thing to get it neat

Kore_Fero
Jan 31, 2008

Chiwie posted:

This is how I do them. The chequer pattern should ideally have more squares to be true to lore but I wanted a pattern I could replicate over 10s of models without going insane (or anymore insane than you can get from doing this) and still do enough to be recognisable as a Lamenter.

I basecoat the shoulder pad with white and use a pencil to lightly mark guidelines by hand.

First, I dissect the pad with a vertical line through the middle. Either side of this centre line, put two other spaced vertical lines radiating from the top of the pad.
Then I mark the middle horizontal line, trying to make the line match the bottom of the shoulder pad when viewed from the side. This one takes some time to get right but with a pencil you can adjust it without much effort. Once that middle horizontal line looks right, I mark out the top and bottom horizontal lines. You should now have a shoulder pad covered in pencil mark squares :P
I then fill in the alternating squares with black, starting with the bottom left square. You will need to correct the size shape of the squares in this stage, including going back with white to cover any outstanding pencil marks.

Lastly, the chapter badge, I paint a circle centred on the four middle squares on the pad. I give that circle a black outline (also using this step to correct the shape) and then paint a heart and drop in that.

I am thinking of adding another row at the top of the pad to stop the chequers from coming to a sharp point but so far this has been my process. Gravis armour with its larger pads might need more vertical rows too.

Bonus tanks!

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

What helped me slightly with lines is drawing the lines directly towards myself. It's much easier than drawing away from yourself.

Werix
Sep 13, 2012

#acolyte GM of 2013

Lord Ludikrous posted:

Finished my Thousand Sons Maulerfiend.

These are beautiful. I'm finishing up my Thousand Sons Helbrute right now, and after that is my only daemon engine in my army, my heldrake, which is like "Chaos trim level: Extreme." I plan to actually paint all the trim first, and then paint all the blue panels afterwards. I had some luck doing that on my terminators. I would make the paint nice and thin, and almost flood the panels with two coats.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

I did a power sword. I’m kinda happy with how the blood drop looks as a shiny gem, and the edge highlighting down the middle of the sword looks reasonably good even though the camera adds 10 flaws. The blends from light to dark look super choppy this close though :( something to work on next time!

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

Chiwie posted:

Do you have access to a 3D printer?

Funzo
Dec 6, 2002

I am terrible at pictures, but here's the Primaris Lieutenant I painted for my Storm Lords. I tried using a brown recess wash over all of it instead of different colors for each half. I'm not sure it worked well, but it's not awful.

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?

Skails posted:

Hey, finished up some death stuff over the last month or so:

Armored Skeletons/Grave Guard

Chainrasp

Mordheim Vampire

these are all excellent!

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

haven't really been able to do detail work lately but i seem to be having a pretty good day for it today. The indomitus characters are all so fiddly to paint!!!!!

I have most of my bladeguards airbrushed and ready for detail work and this judicar has been likewise for the better part of the last month. I've still got washing and highlights to do on this guy but it feels good to make real progress.

Mirthless fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Nov 23, 2020

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

jesus WEP posted:

I did a power sword. I’m kinda happy with how the blood drop looks as a shiny gem, and the edge highlighting down the middle of the sword looks reasonably good even though the camera adds 10 flaws. The blends from light to dark look super choppy this close though :( something to work on next time!

That sword rules. I have my Mephiston almost done but haven't tackled the sword yet, hope mine looks as good (going to try copying the box art).

with a rebel yell she QQd
Jan 18, 2007

Villain

with a rebel yell she QQd posted:

I did buy a mini from Spain last night so lets see when it arrives.

It arrived today, so I'm here to apologize to Spanish Post! 10 working days is impressive.

KingMob
Feb 12, 2004
Et In Arcadia Ego

Fyrbrand posted:

Barely any time for hobby during pandemic hell, but I was able to finish Dr. Strange and his bro Wong.

Very nice!

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Fyrbrand posted:

tidy :respek:

TotalHell
Feb 22, 2005

Roman Reigns fights CM Punk in fantasy warld. Lotsa violins, so littl kids cant red it.

I finished this lady.

Under 15
Jan 6, 2005

Mr. Helsbecter will you please stop shooting I am on the phone

Finished my secret santa contribution to a guy who wanted an O-12 HVT. I like the way it came out compared to the model on the box, which I think is kinda ehh

I haven't used metallics paints in forever and had a terrible time with them here. What's the best way to thin them out? I have reaper paints nowadays, so I know they are high enough quality to pull it off.

yum
Oct 27, 2005

Only good things will come
to someone like
you.
Been painting some more orks

and just finished my first buggy.

I got really lazy with the tires and it ended up looking super halfassed but luckily weathering saves the day. I also still cannot draw checkers or do a clean white for the life of me. Happy to have finished my first start collecting box though, looking to do some meganobz and a warboss next!

I also have more pics on my insta @bergyuber

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Cool orks

Padical
Nov 29, 2004

yum posted:

I got really lazy with the tires and it ended up looking super halfassed but luckily weathering saves the day. I also still cannot draw checkers or do a clean white for the life of me. Happy to have finished my first start collecting box though, looking to do some meganobz and a warboss next!

I was actually going to say I thought you did a great job on the checks. I think you have got the right level of neatness for these models and the paint style you did, especially with the weathering you've done. The rest is looking good too.

Spiv
Oct 9, 2006

When life throws lemons at you, nuke the fucker!
Apparently my post from my phone didn't go up (so if this becomes a double post, sorry):

The groove stem flying bases from GW (Citadel) - can you order those anywhere, or are they kit specific? I see them in the SofB Seraphim set and I think one of the new Necron ones. Curious if I can get my hands on them without forking over da bucks on box sets I won't (but probably will) use for armies I don't (but probably will end up) owning.

I did check the website and tried searching for them, but I keep getting directed to GW site for the sets that contain them.

TotalHell
Feb 22, 2005

Roman Reigns fights CM Punk in fantasy warld. Lotsa violins, so littl kids cant red it.

yum posted:

Been painting some more orks

and just finished my first buggy.

I also have more pics on my insta @bergyuber

Every time I see orks they look like they were a blast to paint. Awesome stuff.

SERPUS
Mar 20, 2004
Looking for some yellow advice.

Considering that I'm airbrushing, do either of the following present either a better overall finish or a ease of painting?

1. Prime brown, white preshade, layered yellow
2. Prime white, layered yellow, brown shading

The goal is a sort of Imperial Fist-esque, grimdark look after chipping & weathering, but I want to make sure that I get the base color done properly.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
I saw a bunch of good recipes for yellow by priming white, shading pink, then layering yellow.

Or maybe it was base pink, zenithal white, yellow all over. Goobertown has a good video on it

Spanish Manlove fucked around with this message at 17:32 on Nov 25, 2020

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

I've always done grimdark fists yellow by spraying yellow over white then shading with a thinned sepia

The Demilich
Apr 9, 2020

The First Rites of Men Were Mortuary, the First Altars Tombs.

SERPUS posted:

Looking for some yellow advice.

Considering that I'm airbrushing, do either of the following present either a better overall finish or a ease of painting?

1. Prime brown, white preshade, layered yellow
2. Prime white, layered yellow, brown shading

The goal is a sort of Imperial Fist-esque, grimdark look after chipping & weathering, but I want to make sure that I get the base color done properly.

I usually prime pink or magenta for the basecoat, zenithal titanium white, then blast it with yellow.

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost
Been painting up a Marilith this morning. I wanted to do an interesting pattern on the snake part so I took inspiration from the crab eating mangrove snake:

I feel pretty good about the back, I will need to get some kind of white wash solution for the scales. I'm thinking an oil wash will probably give me the best results but white washes, man D:

I am not quite sure how to do the front or the armor. I am thinking the lower body I am gonna do in ivory and keep the front of the arms white, but I'm not sure how to do her head quite yet. Any suggestions?

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

Mirthless posted:

Been painting up a Marilith this morning. I wanted to do an interesting pattern on the snake part so I took inspiration from the crab eating mangrove snake:

I feel pretty good about the back, I will need to get some kind of white wash solution for the scales. I'm thinking an oil wash will probably give me the best results but white washes, man D:

I am not quite sure how to do the front or the armor. I am thinking the lower body I am gonna do in ivory and keep the front of the arms white, but I'm not sure how to do her head quite yet. Any suggestions?

I've seen white ink and gray wash, but never a white wash. Lately I've been washing my white in grey or light blue then heavily dry brushing it white to brighten it up again.

The pattern came out beautifully - I'm inspired to do my set of naga in various corn snake morphs now.

Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

Dienes posted:

I've seen white ink and gray wash, but never a white wash. Lately I've been washing my white in grey or light blue then heavily dry brushing it white to brighten it up again.

The pattern came out beautifully - I'm inspired to do my set of naga in various corn snake morphs now.

Vallejo has a white wash, it's OK.

https://acrylicosvallejo.com/en/product/hobby/model-wash-en/white-76501/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

yum
Oct 27, 2005

Only good things will come
to someone like
you.
Thanks everyone. I can confirm that orks are indeed very fun to paint. What's not fun to paint are the little leather straps but hey, Orks gotta wear clothes too (unless you're snakebites)

Padical posted:

I was actually going to say I thought you did a great job on the checks. I think you have got the right level of neatness for these models and the paint style you did, especially with the weathering you've done. The rest is looking good too.

Much appreciated! I'm happy to see some improvement, when I first started the checks looked more like misshapen parallelograms instead of rectangles/squares. I'll get get better at it yet