Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

For some reason I can never remember Nicole Kidman's name. I can even look it up and then ten minutes later I'm like "Australian. Extremely famous. Everyone knows her name. Kylie Minogue? No. Definitely not. Was married to Tom Cruise. Red hair. Nope, it's gone."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

I prefer her non-union Mexican equivalent Nicole Niñohombre.

BattyKiara
Mar 17, 2009
When ordering something online from a company that doesn't get that all countries use the same address format! My postal code doesn't have 5 numbers, you stupid form!

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

BattyKiara posted:

When ordering something online from a company that doesn't get that all countries use the same address format! My postal code doesn't have 5 numbers, you stupid form!

Why not

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

BattyKiara posted:

yeah american companies like to do this. its stupid

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

When I'm ordering something from Europe and the site calculates international shipping to the United States for me, the order processes fine, then I get an e-mail saying they don't ship internationally.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Amazon just started giving my mom poo poo for trying to buy a Kindle book for my son, saying it could not be sent to anyone overseas. It based this solely on the fact that my son has a .nz E-mail address--in a domain run entirely out of our home office in Michigan. My husband, my parents, and I all have addresses there, too (for going on 20 years now) and no one's ever had problems with Kindle before.

Eventually the order went through. :iiam: It remains to be seen if it will actually be delivered on Christmas Eve.

At least we're past the days of Web forms calling bullshit on any E-mail address that didn't end in one of the big five top-level domains.

HOLY FUCK
Mar 31, 2007

Cats are terrifying, everyone knows that! 'Cause they're witches! And they've got knives in their feet!

I’ve encountered a few sites recently that auto-complete the address as you type it but won’t let you fix it if it’s wrong or incomplete unless you click another link to bring up text boxes to enter it manually. In one case there was no option but the autocomplete on my phone and I had to go try on my computer (it let me fix it there, wtf). It had the street address but wouldn’t recognize that there were 100~ apartments at that address so I couldn’t just leave it as is. Some sites let you put in your address manually and then have a pop up asking if you want to put it in the Correct Postal Format but at least you can say no to those.

And the Correct Postal Format has always had the apartment numbers too! Would much rather have that.

HOLY FUCK has a new favorite as of 20:12 on Nov 19, 2020

HOLY FUCK
Mar 31, 2007

Cats are terrifying, everyone knows that! 'Cause they're witches! And they've got knives in their feet!

God, I really need to stop sad- ordering things online. :pwn:

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

When programs accept , or . for decimals, but fails/blanks the input field if you dare to use the incorrect one.

It's really annoying to remember which one to use for different programs, because they usually don't have options to flip it.
Just accept both/either and convert it to the one supported by the program automatically.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

SubNat posted:

When programs accept , or . for decimals, but fails/blanks the input field if you dare to use the incorrect one.

It's really annoying to remember which one to use for different programs, because they usually don't have options to flip it.
Just accept both/either and convert it to the one supported by the program automatically.

Or just use . all the time as American Jesus intended.

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

I would be completely fine if everything used that, the issue is that they don't.
And if they have to be so obtuse as to use , , then atleast have the decency to support . as well without throwing away the thing I just typed in.

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

Web forms:

H0H0H0: WHAT THE gently caress IS THAT, THAT'S NOT A POSTAL CODE, GET OUT OF HERE YOU ABSOLUTE LOWLIFE

H0H 0H0: ok :downs:

Fifty Farts
Dec 23, 2013

- Meticulously Researched
- Peer-reviewed

Killingyouguy! posted:

Web forms:

H0H0H0: WHAT THE gently caress IS THAT, THAT'S NOT A POSTAL CODE, GET OUT OF HERE YOU ABSOLUTE LOWLIFE

I've had some for dates that don't automatically insert the / between numbers but don't count as valid without the slashes.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Killingyouguy! posted:

Web forms:

Oh god I had a form that had postal information halfway down the page, and it only let you put more than five characters in the "zip code" field if you switched your country to Canada from the default USA. It did this by reloading the whole loving page and blanking all the poo poo you already filled in

I dont even remember what it was for i just remember the white hot anger

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

I registered for a major USA comic convention and even when you flip the country to Canada, it limited postal code to 5 characters.
I had to email support about it:

"Hi, the postal code box is capped at 5 characters, my postal code is H0H 0H0, and I can only put in H0H 0H, please advise"
"Yes, you can put in H0H0H. Working as intended."
"But that's not a real postal code. Canadian postal codes are 6 characters."
"But why does your zip code have letters and a sixth character??"

Thankfully a week later they rolled out a new registration page

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

My favorite are the webforms that auto-advance your cursor to the next field once you've put something in (and keep doing so if you tab backwards to edit), making it an absolute chore to correct any mistakes.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Horrible flashbacks to when I first moved to Canada and had a US billing address but Ontario mailing address

e: also my card getting frozen every three days, and having to call the bank and tell them that yes, I am in fact in Canada using my debit card, and some poor Texas bank rep being like "so you did make the recent purchase at lobbb-buh-blobsaws?"

e2: and that was before the US adopted loving chip cards which was a whole other thing. holy gently caress my homeland is dumb. "debit?" "yep." "no you have to insert-" "no I can't, I have to swipe" "but, sorry, it's debit?" "yes"

Edgar Allen Ho has a new favorite as of 16:23 on Nov 22, 2020

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Canada?

More like Can'tada!

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

In general, I don't answer the phone if an unknown number is calling me, because why the gently caress would I?
I'll generally look it up and if it's someone relevant I'll call them back.

This has become incredibly annoying as one of my clients is an old-as-gently caress guy who apparently seems to just... use whatever phone is closest whenever he feels like calling me?
To date he has called me with 6 different phone numbers, and recently complained that I didn't answer that random phonecall from a phone number I don't recognize at 2130 in the evening/night.
His phone, 2 different work numbers, his home phone, his live-in-partner's phone, and one more that I have no loving clue who owns. He regularly cycles through 3 of them the most often, which I have saved.

I'm incredibly baffled at the logistics involved, so I keep wondering if he has my number written down, or just memorized it since it's so simple.
Second peeve: Even after discussing it loving twice, he still will happily call me outside of regular work hours to start up a discussion about the project.

HOLY FUCK
Mar 31, 2007

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

e2: and that was before the US adopted loving chip cards which was a whole other thing. holy gently caress my homeland is dumb. "debit?" "yep." "no you have to insert-" "no I can't, I have to swipe" "but, sorry, it's debit?" "yes"

Had this problem when moving from the UK to the US then again in reverse whenever I visit home because even though my US card has a chip it doesn’t work in the UK so they still have to swipe it and I have sign and it’s so awkward :pwn:

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

SubNat posted:

In general, I don't answer the phone if an unknown number is calling me, because why the gently caress would I?
I'll generally look it up and if it's someone relevant I'll call them back.

This has become incredibly annoying as one of my clients is an old-as-gently caress guy who apparently seems to just... use whatever phone is closest whenever he feels like calling me?
To date he has called me with 6 different phone numbers, and recently complained that I didn't answer that random phonecall from a phone number I don't recognize at 2130 in the evening/night.
His phone, 2 different work numbers, his home phone, his live-in-partner's phone, and one more that I have no loving clue who owns. He regularly cycles through 3 of them the most often, which I have saved.

I'm incredibly baffled at the logistics involved, so I keep wondering if he has my number written down, or just memorized it since it's so simple.
Second peeve: Even after discussing it loving twice, he still will happily call me outside of regular work hours to start up a discussion about the project.

He's a drug dealer :siren:

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
"This is a bit of a... a poof song"
I hate being in work meetings where like, someone thinks it's Tuesday but it's actually Wednesday, or they accidentally leave themselves on mute when trying to answer a question, and everyone on the call is chuckling away and acting like something genuinely really amusing has happened.

I know at least some of it is etiquette, but what the gently caress is wrong with people? I just can't bring myself to engage with it beyond smiling politely, but I guess that probably makes me a prick.

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

Strategic Tea posted:

He's a drug dealer :siren:

He's like 80 years old. Not figuratively, literally.
Not that that excludes him from drug dealing, but since he's milling around at a university still doing projects because he likes them, he doesn't exactly strike me as the drug dealing type.

And as he has yet to offer me any, after like a year and a half. I'd say his hustle is very poor if he was one.

The Perfect Element posted:

I hate being in work meetings where like, ---

I've only been in a couple and it's loving amazing how people, even after half a year+ still cannot handle the basics of any of this. Whenever they drop into technical issues that would be trivial to solve, especially if you'd looked at it beforehand, it's just infuriating.
Had one where 3 loving people sat infront of 1 laptop, nothing else, because they hadn't bothered to figure out how the conference room they sat in worked. They also refused to just, go back to their offices and use 3 laptops instead of using 1 super awkwardly.

e: Actually, it's a pretty broad thing, but people just never bothering to learn or understand anything about the PC or programs they use beyond just exactly, specifically what they need.
I will never understand how people can work with pcs the majority of their workday, every day, for decades. And still be so allergic to pc-touching that they won't even try to engage with them on any cognitive level.
They've just decided that things are super specialized and nigh-magical.

I remember some colleagues ages ago were dumbfounded that I just flipped open the surveilance system and adjusted it to reduce the likelyhood of capture loss, and they just couldn't understand how I was able to use it.
When it was just a completely normal program, with everything labelled and laid out as you'd expect a program to be.

There's a certain point where there's just this incredibly visible line between people who are willing to just poke around a tiny bit in a program and figure out how to use it, and the people who daren't do anything unless they already know a specific step-by-step of how to do a certain thing. As if it's a magic spell or something.

SubNat has a new favorite as of 18:01 on Nov 25, 2020

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Most people are complete goddamn morons OP hence the state of the world today

HOLY FUCK
Mar 31, 2007

I hate it when sites or programs don’t have a dark or high contrast mode or at least the ability to fix font boldness and/or size. I’m unfortunately photosensitive as gently caress and some things (like the software I use at work! :shepicide:) are bright loving white and have text that doesn’t have enough contrast so it can be difficult to read sometimes or hurts to look at after awhile. I know there are browser extensions that can force a dark mode but it doesn’t feel like a good idea to use those when the extension can read all the info on the page and we’re dealing with personal information. I suggested this to the software developers about a year ago and got a response last week saying it was planned so maybe in a year we’ll get it! :buddy:

Also I usually browse the forums on AwfulApp which has a dark mode that I am extremely grateful for but sometimes I have to use my laptop- are there any extensions for SA that have a dark or high contrast mode?

So yeah, that’s my peeve! Inaccessible poo poo!

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

HOLY gently caress posted:

Also I usually browse the forums on AwfulApp which has a dark mode that I am extremely grateful for but sometimes I have to use my laptop- are there any extensions for SA that have a dark or high contrast mode?

So yeah, that’s my peeve! Inaccessible poo poo!

You can use the browser extensions you refer to to flip SA into a decent dark theme.
On chrome I quite like Dark Reader, since it can also be flipped on/off with a keyboard shortcut, and has settings/tweaks for contrast, darkness etc, that get applied per-domain.

As for programs, yeah that sucks.
It's very frustrating how a lot of program/app design just don't expose any of their colour/theme settings, even though doing so would help make the programs a lot more comfortable and readable.

If you're on a win10 pc that's relatively updated, you could flip on the night-light feature to force the powerful-white into a softer orange, though your entire monitor will of course get tinted by that.
And since it's a win10 feature you don't have to worry about -other- 3rd parties trying to grab that personal data any more than microsoft might.

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL

SubNat posted:

e: Actually, it's a pretty broad thing, but people just never bothering to learn or understand anything about the PC or programs they use beyond just exactly, specifically what they need.
I will never understand how people can work with pcs the majority of their workday, every day, for decades. And still be so allergic to pc-touching that they won't even try to engage with them on any cognitive level.
They've just decided that things are super specialized and nigh-magical.

Growing up in the '90s I feel like we were always tech support for our older relatives and it was annoying but also kind of cool that we had this level of comfort with technology that older generations just didn't. Now I have this expectation that younger generations will have a similar familiarity with tech stuff and so far in my experience they just don't. Maybe it's because they deal with phones/tablets exclusively nowadays or maybe it's the computers in general are far less janky that what we had when I was growing up so there's way less troubleshooting to deal with. My peeve is that I have to walk my younger employees through accessing the loving control panel or "ok now right click the desktop for display settings and change the resolution to whatever the program requires"..."desktop?"

HOLY FUCK
Mar 31, 2007

SubNat posted:

You can use the browser extensions you refer to to flip SA into a decent dark theme.
On chrome I quite like Dark Reader, since it can also be flipped on/off with a keyboard shortcut, and has settings/tweaks for contrast, darkness etc, that get applied per-domain.

:doh: Of course, I am an idiot. Thank you for the plug in recommendation and Windows 10 tip, I will try those!

Fartington Butts
Jan 21, 2007

Motherfuckers it is not pronounced “socky”

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

Inspector 34 posted:

Growing up in the '90s I feel like we were always tech support for our older relatives and it was annoying but also kind of cool that we had this level of comfort with technology that older generations just didn't. Now I have this expectation that younger generations will have a similar familiarity with tech stuff and so far in my experience they just don't. Maybe it's because they deal with phones/tablets exclusively nowadays or maybe it's the computers in general are far less janky that what we had when I was growing up so there's way less troubleshooting to deal with. My peeve is that I have to walk my younger employees through accessing the loving control panel or "ok now right click the desktop for display settings and change the resolution to whatever the program requires"..."desktop?"

Emphasis mine; I contribute it to this. The Elder Millennials like us had huge sandboxes with a bunch of new things to play with as creatively as we could manage, and if something broke we had to figure out how to fix it. If you were a casual user, you learned things by rote (how I email. how I check my stocks. how I print invoice). Click here, click here, type this word, click there, done. The people who learned their tasks that way go into complete vapor lock if anything happens that's different from what they've experienced a thousand times before. Even if the error window tells them exactly what to do, they don't process it.

Using a smartphone is a much more controlled, curated experience, and has a much lower barrier to entry. You don't need to learn troubleshooting, you don't need to know about files or where they are, the phone does everything for you. If there's a problem with an app it will fix it for you or restart itself. Where a computer would tell you to do something to fix an issue, the phone will just do that task for you.

For the most part it's probably better this way - you don't have to have deep knowledge of the underpinnings of the information-focused world we live in now, you can engage with it in your chosen profession or field of interest and not be left behind. And I certainly appreciate not getting calls from my parents every week because their email stopped working and they need me for free tech support.

Che Delilas has a new favorite as of 23:51 on Nov 26, 2020

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

i remember when i got my first pc i didnt even have any games or internet on it, so id just click around windows 3.1 and figure out what all of the stuff on it was for, like things in the control panel and all kinds of settings

conversely though if you present me with a tablet or something now i dont really know what the gently caress. i mean i could figure it out but it definitely feels weird and like some steps are missing. i was also the only guy at the teacher training course im taking who didnt know how to scan a QR code, i avoid post-2010 social media technology stuff, opt out of everything, use scriptkillers and adblockers and just don't use social media at all so when i have to do that poo poo i dont really get it. i still dont know what tiktok is actually for or what instagram actually is. ive been thinking about getting into streaming games sometimes but eh its complicated and gently caress it. this attitude will probably turn me into a complete dinosaur in the long term but i kind of dont care

similarly my dad could program stuff in the 70s on some big room sized computer and communicate with another computer at MIT over the proto-internet, but didnt know how to use windows and didnt touch a computer after the 80s

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

when i have to do tabletty apple poo poo i mostly just feel insulted though, the course im taking requires us to share stuff on some kind of dopey "ideaspace" or whatever where things you type just sort of float around in little text balloons among other poo poo other people said and i just feel a strong resistance to it, like it feels akin to being asked to make a pretty drawing about your ideas

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

i can learn any computer or device except for iphones. gently caress iphones. if you've never used an iphone and you're forced to, i legitimately don't know how you're supposed to figure it out. it's all completely unexplained swipes and gestures.

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

Apple stuff in general is like that. I tried a demo of Mac OS X at a trade show ages ago just before the official launch of the OS and when I highlighted a directory and pressed enter it renamed it instead of opening it. I just said "gently caress you" and walked off.

They play up how intuitive it is even though everything is completely insane to anyone that knows any UI conventions from the past 50 years.

ookiimarukochan
Apr 4, 2011
The drive to have a "nice clean" OS meant that iOS started getting more and more baroque ways to do things some years ago, and of course they don't give you a proper manual. At least a few features have been loudly added to iOS and then removed because no one could discover how to use them (3D Touch etc)

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

Shibawanko posted:

i was also the only guy at the teacher training course im taking who didnt know how to scan a QR code,

To be fair, there isn't a standard way of scanning QR codes, it's a lot more common for phones to recognize them automatically, or have dedicated shortcuts for it now. But not long ago you'd need to download apps specifically to be able to scan them.
It's not a directly intuitive process unless the phone notices it + handles it automatically whenever the camera is on. (Which feeds nicely into the whole 'phones simplify and hide away a lot of mechanics' discussion going on.)

On an unrelated tangent: I really hate how difficult it is to find decent lamps. Here in Norway the shift to LED happened pretty directly, but the annoying part is that lamp specifications got scaled down accordingly.
So if you had a lamp design that'd take 40W bulbs or whatever, once the design got updated they'd usually end up at 4-6W, since that's roughly the equivalent for LED lighting.
It's super frustrating, especially when you throw in how many lovely, weak, 'mood' lamps there are out there. The ceiling light in my apartment caps out at ~1200 lumen, which is the same as 1 of the desk worklights I have from ikea.

Whenever winter hits the sun basically goes 'peace out!' here and vanishes in a puff of frost, so some decent lighting is required to help battle the whole seasonal affective disorder thing.
(This whole deal is of course compounded by the fact that landlords just stick in cheap, terrible lighting fixtures when they renovate apartments. I especially like how there are 6 different types of fixed lighting fixtures, demanding different bulbs, in my 42sqm apartment that has 8 preinstalled lamps.)
(Which I guess is another peeve on top of it all, why the gently caress did you not coordinate the bulb types more?)

My bathroom became a lot more pleasant when I swapped out the lovely 400lm bulb with a 1000lm one, though.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

i hate trivial concerns about the coronavirus, like in the newspaper or the news where they go "WILL THERE STILL BE CHRISTMAS???" or like "will a vaccine save the tail end of the skiing season??" like who gives a poo poo, as long as the virus goes away in the end, gently caress all of these trivial events that you can just do next year or whatever, who cares about that poo poo

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Six car radio presets representing the only half-decent stations I know, two have music during my drive, only one of which isn't Christmas music. I pulled over and got my bluetooth hooked up, what's even the point of the radio anymore :smith:

Also if there's even one other person on the road beside me when I go to the ATM, they will always end up going through the ATM ahead of me, and they'll take forever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HOLY FUCK
Mar 31, 2007

This is kind of weird and I’m probably going to explain it wrong and sound insane but I hate boring decorative objects. Not like holiday decorations or anything but like those wicker balls you find at Target that I guess you’re supposed to put in a glass bowl or a jar with string lights or something. Basically Joanna Gaines’ ~modern farmhouse~ dull Pinterest-y type poo poo. I am aware this sounds kind of snobby although I cannot decorate worth poo poo myself and have moved so many times that I don’t even bother putting up pictures anymore. I am terrified of accumulating too much stuff due to having parents that wouldn’t stop buying poo poo (although in their defense it was usually interesting things like weird musical instruments) but the thought of having solely decorative objects that have the gall to just sit around, gather dust, and be boring as gently caress is the worst. These are also usually the same people who have unusable decorative towels, by the way.

Anyway this is a Wendy’s drive-thru, thanks for coming to my Ted talk, etc :saddowns: