Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
who cares?

Why are we suddenly, after 50 years, demanding that Starfleet have anything resembling strict OSHA compliance?

Why do the nacelles detach? Because it’s an interesting visual. That’s it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Big Mean Jerk posted:

who cares?

Why are we suddenly, after 50 years, demanding that Starfleet have anything resembling strict OSHA compliance?

B-b-but my NERD RAGE:byodood: though... :(

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.
It still blows my mind to remember that the Enterprise D had a functioning school system. Kids would just be studying space-history when they gotta brace for torpedo impact.

edit: how does the existence of a universal translator affect things like English class, do you have to know at least one language for that poo poo to work, or will the software translate to your personal pastiche of nonverbal grunts?

Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

Chef Boyardeez Nuts posted:

cool that we've established the ability to detach whole parts of the ship but make no effort to do so with the highly dangerous warp core

stamets had some brief line about the intermix pods being moved last week, that could indicate they're going to say the warp core(s?) is different now, but yeah kinda weird that's left unremarked on so far given the whole burn thing

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

It still blows my mind to remember that the Enterprise D had a functioning school system. Kids would just be studying space-history when they gotta brace for torpedo impact.

edit: how does the existence of a universal translator affect things like English class, do you have to know at least one language for that poo poo to work, or will the software translate to your personal pastiche of nonverbal grunts?

I think the idea (or at least my take) of the big "modern" Starfleet ships in TNG-era is they're functionally cities in space and ideally big logistical hubs in their own right. It's not how it plays out week-to-week with the local space god trying to dissect the crew to learn about mortal lifespans, but ideally all a Starfleet ship like the Enterprise should be doing is be parked over a planet and spitting shuttles and Away Teams throughout the system to solve problems. The various scientists will study different things, the archaeologists go poking around on a planet, a few shuttle teams are bringing new Replicators to a colony etc, etc.

It also does gets brought up once or twice in TNG how drat arrogant it is to have families on a ship that can be sent into combat at a moment's notice iirc.

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
It’s fine, the kids have a weekly Active Energy Being Drill and all the teachers are armed with AI Disabling Paradoxes

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

nine-gear crow posted:

B-b-but my NERD RAGE:byodood: though... :(

hahaha nobody in this thread is mad, just generally confused or disappointed

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Erulisse posted:

This needs to be redrawn as :romulan:

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
Superconductors today can keep things "flux pinned" in place with magnetic fields, I'm sure in several thousand years they can technobabble that up to warp nacelles kept in place by the hull of a star ship.

The only reason they hadn't done this in the couple hundred years from now in earlier Trek series is because we didn't have that kind of thing to speculate bigger and better with.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I mean there have always been invisible force fields and tractor beams and quantum burrito fields and whatever the gently caress, it's just :techno:

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.

Big Mean Jerk posted:

who cares?

looks kinda dumb

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

piratepilates posted:

why are the nacelles not connected to the rest of the ship :confused:

Speed gaps. They make it go faster.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Drink-Mix Man posted:

Like I said, it's so when the ship blows up, the nacelles keep on going so that Starfleet can recover them and claim the ship survived so they can build a new one around them.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.
It's cool it's not like ships ever lose main power

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

From the amount of times a ship has been destroyed/disabled by merely being hit in the nacelles, you'd think they'd have done this a lot sooner.

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

Technowolf posted:

From the amount of times a ship has been destroyed/disabled by merely being hit in the nacelles, you'd think they'd have done this a lot sooner.

There you go, it stops warp core breaches when this sort of thing happens

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Drink-Mix Man posted:

Also the Solvang from Lower Decks would still be around if it had detached nacelles. The Pakleds can just have the starboard one, get us the hell out of here, helm!

Martian
May 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Ur Getting Fatter posted:

It’s fine, the kids have a weekly Active Energy Being Drill and all the teachers are armed with AI Disabling Paradoxes

I mean, they can just blink at them :confused:

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

Drink-Mix Man posted:

well drat, disco writers have outsmarted me.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
I sure hope the nacelles are fitted with phasers and photon torpedoes.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Gonz posted:

Remember, TNG showed that there’s a job position in Starfleet where you have to sit inside the warp nacelle all day long and make sure it doesn’t blow up or some poo poo. Can you imagine being that poor schmuck on the Discovery-A?

Seemlar
Jun 18, 2002

Gonz posted:

Discovery's already got that covered

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Seemlar posted:

Discovery's already got that covered

Eh, it wouldn’t be the first time a Trek visual effects department took someone’s design and went “But where do the torpedoes come out? Eeeeh, gently caress it.” :v:

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

It's a sci fi spaceship, the pointy sticks on the wings are always where the guns are, gawd.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

It's cool it's not like ships ever lose main power

With a millennia of development it's not reasonable that they never do unless something absolutely catastrophic and destructive has happened.

It looks odd, but I honestly don't mind the detached nacelles as a visual shorthand for saying that we aren't in the 23rd/24th century Kansas anymore. If ships without power can go years without their anti-matter losing containment then a ship can keep its nacelles nearby.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
Maybe it saves on inertial sheer stress? They mentioned it improving maneuverability, I guess you're less likely to get metal fatigue in a forcefield, and it allows the nacelles to vary warp field geometry to a far greater degree than Voyager's.

What if you can flip your nacelles around to nope out of somewhere in a hurry without rotating the whole ship?

Erulisse
Feb 12, 2019

A bad poster trying to get better.

JEFFREY PLEASE

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
Gonna fight the Master Control Program.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Kesper North posted:

Maybe it saves on inertial sheer stress? They mentioned it improving maneuverability, I guess you're less likely to get metal fatigue in a forcefield, and it allows the nacelles to vary warp field geometry to a far greater degree than Voyager's.

What if you can flip your nacelles around to nope out of somewhere in a hurry without rotating the whole ship?

maybe it flobbadygoos the blamomama to introduce the wajajamics

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

well why not posted:

maybe it flobbadygoos the blamomama to introduce the wajajamics

Wtf? Wajajamics wouldn't come from the blamomama no matter how many goos they flobb, you're either thinking of the hurdygadarian relay or you're just making poo poo up

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
WARP 👏 PARTICLES 👏

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

Drink-Mix Man posted:

I'll always love how the Bozeman seemingly takes no damage at all from the collision

Like, look at that ventral running light. Just keeps on blinking.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Cross-Section posted:

I'll always love how the Bozeman seemingly takes no damage at all from the collision

Like, look at that ventral running light. Just keeps on blinking.

Like a Lada hitting a sportscar

SpeakSlow
May 17, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Whoever is bunked at the front of the saucer now has to be loving those personal transporters. Otherwise, without the connectors that's a hell of a walk to work.

Assuming the spore drive saucer cavitation locks in the same place when it stops.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

If they were gonna go all out with these disconnected parts they should have turbolifts shooting between them with the people inside screaming.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Someone please stop me from spending unwise amounts of money on Eaglemoss' Black Friday sale.

Please.

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

SpeakSlow posted:

Whoever is bunked at the front of the saucer now has to be loving those personal transporters. Otherwise, without the connectors that's a hell of a walk to work.

Assuming the spore drive saucer cavitation locks in the same place when it stops.

I just hope the inertial dampeners never go out in the outer ring.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

Yvonmukluk posted:

Someone please stop me from spending unwise amounts of money on Eaglemoss' Black Friday sale.

Please.

I will not stop you. They’re great models.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Yvonmukluk posted:

Please.
What ones are you looking at

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

FlamingLiberal posted:

What ones are you looking at

Titan, Aventine, Akira...it might be quicker to list the ones I’m not looking at.