Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
The difference between TOS and the TOS movies still makes me laugh a bit. TOS was very much “unknowable ultrafuture”, whereas the movies after TMP portray everything as “the 80s, but in space”.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Literally Lewis Hamilton posted:

Who says VI is the worst??

I don't think I would say it's the worst. But it's not the best, and every time I watch it, it gets worse.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Son of Sam-I-Am posted:

I don't think I would say it's the worst. But it's not the best, and every time I watch it, it gets worse.

What the hell can you find objectionable about VI?

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

Ask me about my wealthy lifestyle and passive income! I love bragging about my wealth to my lessers! My opinions are more valid because I have more money than you! Stealing the fruits of the labor of the working class is okay, so long as you don't do it using crypto. More money = better than!
"taH pagh taHbe"

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

CainFortea posted:

I mean the scene where Spock essentially mind rapes Valeris feels a bit icky now, but that certainly isn't enough for me to not like the movie as a whole.

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
Page 1776, you say?

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

VI gets better every time I see it. Generations gets worse.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

HD DAD posted:

The difference between TOS and the TOS movies still makes me laugh a bit. TOS was very much “unknowable ultrafuture”, whereas the movies after TMP portray everything as “the 80s, but in space”.

I've been re-watching TOS every Saturday night via MeTV and yeah the show is just bonkers and weird most of the time, and I love it. I like the way you put it 'unknowable ultra future.' That's something the other series have never been able to re-create. I think early TNG tried to, but the quickly steered away from it.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Drink-Mix Man posted:

VI gets better every time I see it. Generations gets worse.

It's so sad just how bad the TNG movies really are. First Contact is the good one, and it's just not that good, it's only the shiniest turd in the bucket.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
Generations probably isn't as bad as it feels because Kirk dies twice and your favorite Enterprise is destroyed traumatically and Picard is loving breaking down within the opening loving 30 minutes because his nephew burned to death in a fire for some reason

Like there's so much grim stuff that happens in it that it just taints my whole perception of the story

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

William Shatner sticking his big fat ego into the movie didn't help. It really convoluted what would have been a simple story. But it overstuffed it.

Without him, the story still would have been, "That's it?" Like an episode of the week. But combine that with Shatner and it's a mess.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

https://twitter.com/Airyn79/status/1331413705872052224?s=19

the rat fandom
Apr 28, 2010

Tighclops posted:

Generations probably isn't as bad as it feels because Kirk dies twice and your favorite Enterprise is destroyed traumatically and Picard is loving breaking down within the opening loving 30 minutes because his nephew burned to death in a fire for some reason

Like there's so much grim stuff that happens in it that it just taints my whole perception of the story

The best part of the movie is when Picard, a Frenchman, celebrates a very Dickensian Christmas with his very English family. I'm convinced the writers didn't know he's French.

Nefarious 2.0
Apr 22, 2008

Offense is overrated anyway.

the most inspirational thing about star trek is that it portrays a future in which france has been almost totally culturally assimilated by england

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Generations is just a huge mess with too much going on, and it never really manages to merge the TOS stuff with the TNG stuff.

I will also never get over the Enterprise D being crippled by a lovely old BoP

The General
Mar 4, 2007

Picard never left the Nexus. The Nexus just knows Picard wants to not be there so it plays along.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

FlamingLiberal posted:

Generations is just a huge mess with too much going on, and it never really manages to merge the TOS stuff with the TNG stuff.

I will also never get over the Enterprise D being crippled by a lovely old BoP

A lovely old BoP that can ignore it's shields.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

The General posted:

Picard never left the Nexus. The Nexus just knows Picard wants to not be there so it plays along.
That would certainly explain Star Trek Picard

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

CainFortea posted:

All the characters are out of character, not just Spock with Valeris. Kirk most of all; in order to make the "end of history" plot work, he starts the film as a completely different person, and ends up a caricature of himself, already a victim of Kirk Drift. And don't get me started on dinner with the Klingons - one of the most disjointed and nonsensical scenes in the franchise. On the surface the movie is enjoyable enough and hides its low budget better than Final Frontier, but that's about all I can say for it.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

When you Voyage? With your best mates

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

New Love Glow
This is my definitive ranking of the Star Trek movies.

The Motion Picture
Beyond
First Contact
Insurrection
Nemesis
Generations
Into Darkness
Picard

Everything after 3 is a varying degree of shameful unwatchable garbage. Generations is overall better than nemesis but the totally pointless deaths of Picards family fill me with a burning hot rage. Into darkness is totally irredeemable

Stingwing
Mar 26, 2010

Thank you Mr President for Making America Great Again! USA #1! I shouldn't have to understand other cultures, I'm a god damn American hero.
I ended up getting the Star Trek IX Blu Ray after somebody a thousand pages ago mentioned it has a commentary track where Jonathan Frakes and Mirina Sirtis drunkenly poo poo all over the movie, and it was great. Thank you to whoever that was.

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

New Love Glow
The top 3 are all equally good imho. Beyond is as good as an episode of the week movie can be aside from the dumb beastie boys part. I do love the beastie boys though.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

I rewatched Insurrection not that long ago and it's really boring. There is so much stuff going on in the Trek universe at that point in time, and somehow the Enterprise got stuck dealing with all of that instead.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Son of Sam-I-Am posted:

All the characters are out of character, not just Spock with Valeris. Kirk most of all; in order to make the "end of history" plot work, he starts the film as a completely different person, and ends up a caricature of himself, already a victim of Kirk Drift. And don't get me started on dinner with the Klingons - one of the most disjointed and nonsensical scenes in the franchise. On the surface the movie is enjoyable enough and hides its low budget better than Final Frontier, but that's about all I can say for it.

It's telling that like, one of the only scenes shatner ever acted like an actor in, you find disjointed and bad.

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

Star Trek films, in order:

TMP
WoK
SfS
VH
FF
UC
Generations
First Contact
Insurrection
Nemesis
Star Trek
Into Darkness
Beyond

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
Let’s do this:

TUC
First Contact
TMP
Beyond
TVH
WoK
Insurrection
TSFS
Generations
TFF
Nemesis
Into Darkness

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Mine would be WoK, TUC, FC, ST2009, TVH, Beyond, Generations, TSS, Insurrection, ID, TMP, TFF, Nemesis

I would also classify them this way-

Great
-WoK
-TUC
-FC

Good
-ST2009
-TVH
-Beyond

Average
-Generations
-TSS
-Insurrection

Bad but Watchable
-ID

Bad
-TMP
-TFF
-Nemesis

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

FlamingLiberal posted:

Mine would be WoK, TUC, FC, ST2009, TVH, Beyond, Generations, TSS, Insurrection, ID, TMP, TFF, Nemesis

I would also classify them this way-

Great
-WoK
-TUC
-FC

Good
-ST2009
-TVH
-Beyond

Average
-Generations
-TSS
-Insurrection

Bad but Watchable
-ID

Bad
-TMP
-TFF
-Nemesis

TMP is good tho.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

I've never liked TMP. I've probably watched it 3-4 times at least, and it never gets better for me.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

sweet geek swag posted:

TMP is good tho.

I'm not going to say the is the most wrongest thing you've ever said about star trek, but it's up there.

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

TOS Films: Good
First Contact/Insurrection with commentary on: Enjoyable Trash
Everything Else: Trash

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

CainFortea posted:

It's telling that like, one of the only scenes shatner ever acted like an actor in, you find disjointed and bad.

If you actually pay attention to the dialogue and try to follow it as dialogue, instead of as individual sound bytes, it's non sequitur after non sequitur. It's like they took a (I will admit the possibility) great scene that was 3 times as long and took a hatchet to it for pacing.

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

CainFortea posted:

I'm not going to say the is the most wrongest thing you've ever said about star trek, but it's up there.

It is the only Star Trek movie that even tries to be like the Original Series, except maybe Star Trek IV. I will admit that the original theatrical cut is a little long, but the directors cut where they cut down the long segments of flying by V'gers ship is a much tighter movie.

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

Son of Sam-I-Am posted:

If you actually pay attention to the dialogue and try to follow it as dialogue, instead of as individual sound bytes, it's non sequitur after non sequitur. It's like they took a (I will admit the possibility) great scene that was 3 times as long and took a hatchet to it for pacing.

they were drunk!

The General
Mar 4, 2007

I'm torn on TMP being good or bad. It's good but it's also soooooo slow and boring.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

sweet geek swag posted:

It is the only Star Trek movie that even tries to be like the Original Series, except maybe Star Trek IV. I will admit that the original theatrical cut is a little long, but the directors cut where they cut down the long segments of flying by V'gers ship is a much tighter movie.
4 is way more like TOS than TMP is. TMP feels like someone who only knew basic things about Star Trek and also wanted to put their own spin on 2001. It's just so sterile and dull.

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

FlamingLiberal posted:

4 is way more like TOS than TMP is. TMP feels like someone who only knew basic things about Star Trek and also wanted to put their own spin on 2001. It's just so sterile and dull.

cosmic sphincters. long hair spock. disco mccoy. pearls before swine

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Son of Sam-I-Am posted:

I just watched it. You get that it's an awkward dinner conversation with people trying to change to "safe" topics and some of them are being jerks right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

New Love Glow
I’m putting on IV right now. Who would have thought the fourth movie in both Star Trek and star war would be the best ones