Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Mr. Nice! posted:

From the conversation during the hearing, he didn't say that. She looked up his phone number on whitepages.com or something similar and then looked up that he worked at K&E.

Also the judge made it clear that it wasn't threatening. She just got made fun of.

Aww that sucks for him then.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

evilweasel posted:

Aww that sucks for him then.

If it makes you feel any better, the judge didn't say fire him. He said it wasn't sanctionable conduct and a managing partner should go have a talk with him if they haven't already about not doing that poo poo again. It seemed like the judge was giving him a pass.

incogneato
Jun 4, 2007

Zoom! Swish! Bang!

sullat posted:

It wasn't bad for a pro se soc cit trying to defend himself, I'll grant him that.

I got strong pro se vibes off some of that. Showing up with new "evidence" that you haven't shared, interrupting the judge, knowing nothing about the legal issues but ranting angrily about how you've been wronged. It could be many of my past cases.

The difference is my cases were for peanuts and not national news. Surreal.

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

ENFORCE THE UNITED STATES DRESS CODE AT ALL COSTS!

This message paid for by the Men's Wearhouse& Jos A Bank Lobbying Group
The main reason we got the show today is because the judge refused to give an extension for a new lawyer to get up to speed when their biglaw firm bailed and Rudy might have been the only trial lawyer willing to suit up.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

eviltastic posted:

Can't get this Oglaf strip out of my mind after all that.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer
Rudy's entire bit was performing his Election Fraud Greatest Hits for an audience of one during his opening comments for long enough to be sure Trump had lost interest in listening and changed back to the gorilla channel, whereafter Rudy floundered for the remainder of the proceedings, meandering from general position to general position in reaction to his limited intuition that the questions he was being asked indicated a fundamental problem for his case.

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

blarzgh posted:

Rudy's entire bit was performing his Election Fraud Greatest Hits for an audience of one during his opening comments for long enough to be sure Trump had lost interest in listening and changed back to the gorilla channel, whereafter Rudy floundered for the remainder of the proceedings, meandering from general position to general position in reaction to his limited intuition that the questions he was being asked indicated a fundamental problem for his case.

Lol just remembering at the end that the judge was trying to make an appeal-proof record on a timeline for the defense to respond to the altered complaint and Rudy was like, "Can't you just take it as is?" He couldn't even read between the lines that the judge was low-key acknowledging to the defense that the argument was nonsense. It was literally the judge equivalent of the judge and defense going, "This guy, am I right?" to each other.

Also lost in all this was how poorly the family law attorney repping Trump did.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Mr. Nice! posted:

If it makes you feel any better, the judge didn't say fire him. He said it wasn't sanctionable conduct and a managing partner should go have a talk with him if they haven't already about not doing that poo poo again. It seemed like the judge was giving him a pass.

the judge didn't say fire him, but the judge said reprimand him and if you're a junior K&E attorney that reprimand from a federal judge that made national news in the legal community is going to come in a "no bonus for you, find a new job" note

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer
That K&E associate is hosed.

Eminent Domain
Sep 23, 2007

Yeah there's no way he is still at K&E next year.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
Eh, at least he has a good story on why he didn't make it there. Worse ways to go than telling a Trump lawyer to gently caress themselves.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!
Haha I forgot about the gorilla channel

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

The best people

https://twitter.com/nycsouthpaw/status/1329200499652956160?s=20

https://twitter.com/nycsouthpaw/status/1329202240813457411?s=20

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

https://twitter.com/RMFifthCircuit/status/1329216740245516290

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!
It’s US Marshals not marshalls

GamingHyena
Jul 25, 2003

Devil's Advocate

Phil Moscowitz posted:

It’s US Marshals not marshalls

Still, it’s very on brand for the Trump legal team to take an unnecessary L due to their own incompetence.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Time for a big photoshoot in front of the US Marshalls Service (the return desk at the discount department store).

Whitlam
Aug 2, 2014

Some goons overreact. Go figure.

GamingHyena posted:

Still, it’s very on brand for the Trump legal team to take an unnecessary L due to their own incompetence.

:golfclap:

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

Vox Nihili posted:

Time for a big photoshoot in front of the US Marshalls Service (the return desk at the discount department store).

GamingHyena posted:

The Bash Brothers over here

i fly airplanes
Sep 6, 2010

I STOLE A PIE FROM ESTELLE GETTY
Can I get an invite to the law discord, and also how do you guys handle invites to people not Platinum and can't receive PMs

adrenal #3563

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 12 hours!

i fly airplanes posted:

Can I get an invite to the law discord, and also how do you guys handle invites to people not Platinum and can't receive PMs

adrenal #3563

Sorry, cool kids lawgoons only. We plot the downfall of the West in there.

i fly airplanes
Sep 6, 2010

Discendo Vox posted:

Sorry, cool kids lawgoons only. We plot the downfall of the West in there.

ahem I was lawgoon vip on irc

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

I'm bored of accounting. I'm technically a lawyer but haven't practiced in like 10 years and even when I did practice it was like, lmao shitlaw stuff.

Is it possible to return to legal practice after so long away? I'm not even sure I want to but I am just so uninterested in what I'm doing right now, and if I'm like "OK what comes next" I should at least take a cursory glance at law since I have the debt and the degree.

Nonexistence
Jan 6, 2014
You'd have to hang a shingle or go to a non-lawyer profession where having a jd is a pay boost like banking or govt

Edit: oh hey this isn't the accounting thread

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

Nonexistence posted:

You'd have to hang a shingle or go to a non-lawyer profession where having a jd is a pay boost like banking or govt

Edit: oh hey this isn't the accounting thread

Yeah, that's what I was thinking. No firm is going to be like "hey a 40 year old who took the bar in Obama's first term, let's hire him!" I dunno unless there are some brain drain states that can't staff public defenders. But I probably don't want to live in one of those states.

TheWordOfTheDayIs
Nov 9, 2009

Blessed with an unmatched sense of direction

Hellblazer187 posted:

even when I did practice it was like, lmao shitlaw stuff.

What is this new legal specialty of "shitlaw" and how well does it pay?

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

TheWordOfTheDayIs posted:

What is this new legal specialty of "shitlaw" and how well does it pay?

That's what we used to call personal injury or really low dollar family law stuff. At least I think that was slang used ITT or at least in very online spaces for lawyers circa 2009. Maybe my brain invented memories of this slang and it didn't really exist. It's pretty apt tho.

To answer your question about pay, my first job out of law school paid $29k with no benefits.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Nonexistence posted:

Or find a solo attorney whose business is taking off faster than they can manage and they don't relish the thought of hiring a very young person who went straight to law school out of college. I am finishing law school as an old person and found such a situation.

You could also consider forensic accounting.

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider
I pay forensic accountants big dollars to figure out easy poo poo like balances of 401(k) on date of divorce.

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

GrandmaParty posted:

I pay forensic accountants big dollars to figure out easy poo poo like balances of 401(k) on date of divorce.

This sounds good. This sounds very good. Big dollars and easy poo poo are like, the two things I want out of life.

Nonexistence
Jan 6, 2014
My wife is a forensic accountant and can confirm dope practice area and probably easier to transition into from your current work but kind of niche so you may be hunting a while

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

Hellblazer187 posted:

This sounds good. This sounds very good. Big dollars and easy poo poo are like, the two things I want out of life.

Do poo poo tier family law and make it known around the community that you know this poo poo and you should be ok.

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

i fly airplanes posted:

ahem I was lawgoon vip on irc

What the gently caress is an irc? You just made that up.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Hellblazer187 posted:

You may have to duel other experts in your reports and testimony, which won't always be easy, but you get to charge tens of dollars for that too.

Nonexistence
Jan 6, 2014
Honestly the hardest part of forensic accounting is probably dealing with rebutting other experts and them doing the same to you, and getting cross-examined by lawyers, so being able to credibly pitch that you get the trial strategy aspect of it is a big plus.

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost

Hellblazer187 posted:

You could try specialty prosecution. Medicaid fraud is state level, very accounting based, and an easy gig. DHHS AUSA or any of the OIG federal guys who do a lot with money might work.

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

Thank you for the input everyone. I'll be looking into these options. Probably I'll just become a math teacher or a drug dealer instead though.

SlyFrog
May 16, 2007

What? One name? Who are you, Seal?

Hellblazer187 posted:

Thank you for the input everyone. I'll be looking into these options. Probably I'll just become a math teacher or a drug dealer instead though.

Each is better for society than practicing law.

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

The tracks go off in this direction.

Hellblazer187 posted:

Do both. Those are complimentary professions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

i fly airplanes
Sep 6, 2010

Nice piece of fish posted:

What the gently caress is an irc? You just made that up.

thanks for making me feel old