Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

this christmas feels like the very first christmas to me
:shittydog::shittydog::shittydog:
New DLC is out, along with the ability to pack trucks on a trailer!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

bobbilljim posted:

New DLC is out, along with the ability to pack trucks on a trailer!

Took advantage of that to drag the Tatarin around. Navistar uses "pack trucks". It's super effective.

I like it so far. They seem to give you multiple ways to attack a problem.

Fast, deep river? Floating truck.

e: lol. Hot rod forklift.

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

So I assumed the stick houses all over the map would be for us to rebuild but we just tear them all down? I rolled off the big mountain and rolled 6 times before getting stopped in my 750 and it was fine.

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

Elendil004 posted:

So I assumed the stick houses all over the map would be for us to rebuild but we just tear them all down? I rolled off the big mountain and rolled 6 times before getting stopped in my 750 and it was fine.

Built Ford tough!

I have successfully loaded one piece of cargo with the forklift. It sucks as a forklift, mostly because you can't drive and manipulate the forks at the same time, but trying to load it on a truck with no ramp is a lot of fun. It has just enough power to crawl up on a loading dock using the forks, then onto a flat bed from there. Easily my new favorite time-wasting activity is trying to self-load the thing.

A note on packed trucks: if one set of wheels is on the ground when you choose, "pack truck", it roots the vehicle to the earth. No tow-truck action, in other words.

padijun
Feb 5, 2004

murderbears forever
I stuck one pallet of the oil drums on the platform and it didn't detect it, so I reset the mission but the original cargo was still there. I don't think I'll be coming back to that one any time soon.

what I've seen of the rest of the first map has been cool, though. it's very tough to navigate, but doesn't seem "unfair" like imandra if that makes sense.

e: it really seems like offroad tires are king on this map. there's still a place for mud tires, but between the river crossings, steep hills, rocky areas, and ice, offroads really shine.

padijun fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Nov 17, 2020

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

Some impressions on the new map:

Thank god for snorkels

My ford didn't ford so well

That said, it did summit the mountain (after rolling 6 times in a row down it first)

padijun
Feb 5, 2004

murderbears forever
the 750 is still the best. yeah it sucks in mud but the longest winch in the game is a nice consolation prize.

I used the two cat zoom booms to unlock all the towers in the second map because I missed the garage somehow. signs are for losers

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

I name this haircut "The Sad Rhino".
Lol, I was able to get that first lighthouse up on the hill from the garage in the second new map with the international hwy truck. Didn’t even take that much winching. That was fun

Kinda disappointed with the new cat... maybe I don’t have all of the upgrades yet or something, but as much as I like the older cat, this one kinda sucks. Only one trailer type? Weird.

And yeah the forklift kind of sucks... I spent a few minutes trying to line up the forks with the holes in the oil barrels only to find I’m supposed to slide them under?

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

One of the missions on the new map needs 10 cabins, thats 20 wood planks and 10 metal beams plus delivery of the cabins holy poo poo this feels like work now unless I'm missing something.

Steak
Dec 9, 2005

Pillbug
I haven't gotten to the new map yet so idk know what this actually means but from what I've read you can "reuse" cabins?

Hope this helps or sorry if it doesn't :shrug:

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

WOULD YOU ACCOMPANY ME ON A BRISK WALK? I WOULD LIKE TO SPEAK WITH YOU!!

Elendil004 posted:

One of the missions on the new map needs 10 cabins, thats 20 wood planks and 10 metal beams plus delivery of the cabins holy poo poo this feels like work now unless I'm missing something.

I wonder if the goal there is to make playing coop with your friends more cooperative rather than everyone working on individual missions in the same world. Right now only opening new maps with some of the ordered requirements allowed people to actually work together on a project that takes more than 2 trucks to do in its entirety.

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

Steak posted:

I haven't gotten to the new map yet so idk know what this actually means but from what I've read you can "reuse" cabins?

Hope this helps or sorry if it doesn't :shrug:

Cabins can be stored after construction and reused after completing a contract.

Each cabin requires four slots of cargo: 2x wooden planks, 1x cargo container. The cargo containers are infinite on Flooded Foothills and conveniently located down the rail road tracks from one cabin construction area. Wooden planks can be obtained by deconstructing houses (for 2x planks) or an infinite supply of them can be trucked down from the very corner of the map.

I think those contracts will go a lot faster in coop.
Each super-heavy trailer can carry 8x cargo slots. I don't know if that's the most efficient way to do things though. I love the challenge that trailer brings but I get the landing gear caught on everything, even when using the P12.

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

padijun posted:

I stuck one pallet of the oil drums on the platform and it didn't detect it, so I reset the mission but the original cargo was still there. I don't think I'll be coming back to that one any time soon.

what I've seen of the rest of the first map has been cool, though. it's very tough to navigate, but doesn't seem "unfair" like imandra if that makes sense.

e: it really seems like offroad tires are king on this map. there's still a place for mud tires, but between the river crossings, steep hills, rocky areas, and ice, offroads really shine.

I got really stuck on the cargo manual unloading, I didn't realise you had to put it on the dock *and then* use the normal cargo menu to "unload" it. Think this will be a boon for packing your truck then carrying extra on the crane if it works everywhere

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

bobbilljim posted:

I got really stuck on the cargo manual unloading, I didn't realise you had to put it on the dock *and then* use the normal cargo menu to "unload" it. Think this will be a boon for packing your truck then carrying extra on the crane if it works everywhere

I think you are spot-on there. The whole loading/unloading thing is finally where it should have been from the beginning.

All of these additions should make the early game way more fun. Alaska should be a breeze with the super heavy trailer once the roads are opened. I think we may even be able to open all the roads in North Port in one go now. I tire of restarting the game with each "season", even though it's more fun each time. Just give us new game+ already.

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

Just had a coop friend crash out, 8 cargo on his trailer gone. What does that do for this map which has limited cargo?

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

Elendil004 posted:

Just had a coop friend crash out, 8 cargo on his trailer gone. What does that do for this map which has limited cargo?

You can cheese it by selecting a cargo container for manual loading and them replacing it with the cargo you want.

Jager
Aug 4, 2003

Eeww!
Road-wise, The Yukon is the opposite of Kola. I keep on finding good trails in the Yukon that aren't on the map whereas on the Kola, I was lucky if a trail displayed on the map was actually a trail and not a maze of rocks, deep snow, and trees. I really like the variety of terrain in the Yukon maps.

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

Spoiler because I was so excited about it the big kolob is such a beast now with the new gearbox and active suspension, probably would have shaved minutes off my star in the sky ordeal. Love it even though it only has a high saddle

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

Why are the cranes so loving gutless. Like I understand the forklift has to be heavy but still. This crane should be able to get it higher off the ground than this.

Would love to have a proper mobile crane in the game too

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

madeintaipei posted:

You can cheese it by selecting a cargo container for manual loading and them replacing it with the cargo you want.

I don't understand can you explain this like I'm slow?

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

Elendil004 posted:

I don't understand can you explain this like I'm slow?

1. Select and spawn cargo container (an infinite object) for manual loading.
2. Select and spawn desired cargo for manual loading. Click yes to overwrite cargo container.
3. Collect cargo.

Dr. Garbanzo
Sep 14, 2010
After bailing on imandra cause I got a truck stuck in an ice hole I went back to it today and I think they must have changed something cause the p12 walked right out of its resting spot. I’ll try and get the garage open in imandra before I bail and head to the Yukon to see how things go

padijun
Feb 5, 2004

murderbears forever

bobbilljim posted:

Spoiler because I was so excited about it the big kolob is such a beast now with the new gearbox and active suspension, probably would have shaved minutes off my star in the sky ordeal. Love it even though it only has a high saddle

the kolob gear box is pretty cool since it's not necessarily a direct upgrade, unless you never use the high and low+/- gears.

MSH 3s and the active suspension on the rank 22 kolob make crossing the rivers a breeze, though I haven't tried with a 5-8 slot trailer...

bobbilljim posted:

Why are the cranes so loving gutless.

:shrug: it really sucks since the one thing you'd think they be good for is flipping those gigantic construction trailers upright!

if it helps: the american light crane is stronger, has a longer boom, and weighs almost twice as much as the russian. the russian and american heavy cranes have the same range, but the russian is stronger and weighs more.

padijun fucked around with this message at 11:59 on Nov 21, 2020

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

The crane also uses whatever winch you have installed so put the heaviest winch on your crane trucks.

Steak
Dec 9, 2005

Pillbug
Whoa, what? Really?

padijun
Feb 5, 2004

murderbears forever
It doesn't seem like it. I tried the auto winch vs the advanced winch on the 750 and they both seemed to lift the scout (~2.5 tons) around the same speed. repeated the test with the actaeon auto and advanced winches and couldn't see the difference. if there is one, it still doesn't affect the the strength of the boom, which seems to be doing 90% of the work.

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

Dr. Garbanzo posted:

After bailing on imandra cause I got a truck stuck in an ice hole I went back to it today and I think they must have changed something cause the p12 walked right out of its resting spot. I’ll try and get the garage open in imandra before I bail and head to the Yukon to see how things go

I thought I noticed a change in ice traction too... another thing though is sometimes a quit out helps if you had sunk into the terrain too much, it will pop you back out a bit

Dr. Garbanzo
Sep 14, 2010

bobbilljim posted:

I thought I noticed a change in ice traction too... another thing though is sometimes a quit out helps if you had sunk into the terrain too much, it will pop you back out a bit

yeah that could have been it. I then ran the p12 out of gas and my rescue truck tipped itself over halfway through imandra so I gave up and went to play in the yukon instead

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

Dr. Garbanzo posted:

yeah that could have been it. I then ran the p12 out of gas and my rescue truck tipped itself over halfway through imandra so I gave up and went to play in the yukon instead

It's such a waste, us leaving trucks scattered all over the place. It would be neat if Sabre could take a page from Death Stranding and allow other players to recover your truck.

Let's say you get something super-duper stuck. Recover the vehicle while leaving a ghost to be recovered by others. You still get to use your truck, other players can't keep it, but they could make money and exp depending on how far it has to be towed. Maybe leave a post-it note on the dash, "I have no idea how this happened. Spent 10min. and tipped three trucks trying. Good luck, driver!"

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

Lol. The 10x and 15x cabin requirements are a glitch. It's supposed to be 2x cabins and you can reuse them. That makes way more sense. Load up the Twinsteer with two cabins and the telehandler on a trailer and shuttle them from place to place.

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

madeintaipei posted:

Lol. The 10x and 15x cabin requirements are a glitch. It's supposed to be 2x cabins and you can reuse them. That makes way more sense. Load up the Twinsteer with two cabins and the telehandler on a trailer and shuttle them from place to place.

Is that fixed now or to be fixed soon?

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

Elendil004 posted:

Is that fixed now or to be fixed soon?

Fixed soon, though I suspect PC will receive the fix sooner.

Another note about cabins: leaving them in the cabin zone without ending a contract (like if you had more cargo to deliver) lags the game horribly on PS4. It also makes the menus almost impossible to use, going back to the first option in the list quicker than you can mash X. I just solved it by yanking the cabins back out from their cover. Maybe I'll haul a trailer out there later for them to sit in.

padijun
Feb 5, 2004

murderbears forever
it's amazing that the zones to/from quarry are still bugged and flip your truck if you use the wrong kind of trailer. what was the point of putting the super heavy trailer in if you can't use it? it feels like they're adding rooms to a house with rotten joists

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

padijun posted:

it's amazing that the zones to/from quarry are still bugged and flip your truck if you use the wrong kind of trailer. what was the point of putting the super heavy trailer in if you can't use it? it feels like they're adding rooms to a house with rotten joists

One step forward, two steps back. It's maddening.

I find myself using smaller trucks to shuttle freight between the super-heavy and loading/unloading zones. The front set of wheels keep the trailer from high-centering father back, but make the landing gear dig in too easily. You have to be super careful about which truck you use.

The last run I took with the new trailer was the cargopocolypse pt.2 contract in Alaska with the older Western Star carrying the cabin protector and small crane. Had no problems except for taking the left turn in Mountain River past the gas station. That was the most PIA k-turn I've ever made. The big GMC works well with the big trailer, too. Big trucks should work best but I find they aren't as maneuverable as the heavy duty or bigger off road vehicle. You can usually go diagonally around and over obstacles. The crane+saddle attachments put as much weight over the front as possible, which really helps.

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

Had my first ever "truck and trailer flung into space" last night towing a scout trailer on the winch behind the zikz. Truck came back down but the trailer just adhered to the sky somewhere lol.

It is really annoying that the trailers snag that barrier arm on the quarry transition. Seems an unnecessary hazard to have these arms there at all

padijun
Feb 5, 2004

murderbears forever
the new western star is probably the best heavy for using a low saddle. it feels like a gigantic HD truck with an endgame engine. but don't give them $4 like I did. but it's pretty fun to drive. but don't do it

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

What use is the other suspension mode on it? With the extra wheels down I mean.

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

big nipples big life posted:

It raises the entire suspension up a few inches and changes the pivot point of the vehicle when going over obstacles like rocks. It doesn't make much difference until you put the ramped goose neck or superheavy trailers behind the truck. It has the unfortunate side-effect of making it harder for the front wheels to gain traction in 6x8 mode when driving up hill or over something.

IRL, the tag axle is lowered to increase carrying capacity and decrease the ground pressure of each wheel. In the US, they are common on heavy-duty road going dump trucks.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

Ah thanks, Yeah I've seen them on trucks on the road but never seen them lowered.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

big nipples big life posted:

I don't have the new truck but I like it on the derry particularly to stop high centering