Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

barkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbark

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

I had a trans friend spend ages picking out their new name and then managed to snag the Facebook url, but then got abused in DMs by some shitbag who'd just chosen the same thing as his DJ name

Now I'm super curious about that name. What would make a good DJ name and a new normal name? One or both of them must be terrible at choosing a name.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

I would also pick DJ Sickbeatz as my new name

Pocket Billiards
Aug 29, 2007
Maybe there should be a whole thread of PYF people's favourite internet misconceptions.

In the dial up era my brother was asking about how he could get onto a messageboard people at his school were talking about. I mentioned offhand when talking about making an account that people generally don't use their real names for their username but pick a reference to a food/sport/movie/tv show/book/hobby they like etc. He took the not using your real name to heart and made a hotmail account with some generic name like brian.smith1234@hotmail.com.

For years he was sending me emails with family photos or links to things happening in our home town, etc and I was blocking them thinking they were spam.

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

If only you could see what I've seen with your eyes

Pocket Billiards posted:

Maybe there should be a whole thread of PYF people's favourite internet misconceptions.

In the dial up era my brother was asking about how he could get onto a messageboard people at his school were talking about. I mentioned offhand when talking about making an account that people generally don't use their real names for their username but pick a reference to a food/sport/movie/tv show/book/hobby they like etc. He took the not using your real name to heart and made a hotmail account with some generic name like brian.smith1234@hotmail.com.

For years he was sending me emails with family photos or links to things happening in our home town, etc and I was blocking them thinking they were spam.

Not once in those years did he ever ask you if you got/looked at those emails?

Pocket Billiards
Aug 29, 2007
We're probably talking like 3 emails per year here. It never really came up.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

All he ever wanted was approval from his big brother, who cruelly ignored and rebuffed all of his attempts to build their relationship

Pocket Billiards
Aug 29, 2007
When we figured it out he asked me if I wanted to see some photos from a trip he took to the next town over.

He sent like 15 emails because a single photo fit within the maximum attachment limit for hotmail then. The camera was hosed in a way that corrupted the bottom 3rd of each image and they were all of friends of his I'd never met before or even heard about.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

I take it back. No jury in the world would convict you for immediately deleting that.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Most cases of Aggravated Email Deletion never even make it to trial by jury.

Except for CROOKED H, LOCK 'ER UP!!!

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

Apparently there are seven churches in Antarctica.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Shifty Nipples posted:

Apparently there are seven churches in Antarctica.

And they all worship the Chaos Gods

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

In the face of all the things necessary to maintain a human presence in Antarctica it seems superfluous to be like "oh happy day at least I can still worship an imaginary sky wizard."

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

barkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbark

Shifty Nipples posted:

In the face of all the things necessary to maintain a human presence in Antarctica it seems superfluous to be like "oh happy day at least I can still worship an imaginary sky wizard."

This is the gooniest response possible. Why wouldn't people want a morale boost in a place like that?

Also its not another planet and is pretty much a solved problem, just very expensive to move supplies.

Atticus_1354 has a new favorite as of 18:51 on Nov 25, 2020

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Lmao at smugly mocking our only defense against the Elder Things

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Just worship the giant blind albino penguins bing bong so simple.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Atticus_1354 posted:

Now I'm super curious about that name. What would make a good DJ name and a new normal name? One or both of them must be terrible at choosing a name.

Trans friends don't always pick "normal" names when transitioning. I have a friend who is also a satanist and when she transitioned she picked a name that is basically a feminine form of a name for the devil and a last name that's just "devil" in another language.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Shifty Nipples posted:

It’s Antarctica. There is little to do there besides drink.

old bean factory
Nov 18, 2006

Will ya close the fucking doors?!

Baron von Eevl posted:

Trans friends don't always pick "normal" names when transitioning. I have a friend who is also a satanist and when she transitioned she picked a name that is basically a feminine form of a name for the devil and a last name that's just "devil" in another language.

Lucifina Teufel?

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

mng posted:

Lucifina Teufel?

I'm not going to go too far into it because honestly she's not a very close friend and I feel weird calling her "a friend" in retrospect instead of "someone I kinda know," but you're surprisingly close.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

mng posted:

Lucifina Teufel?
Ahh yes my favorite dessert from the old country.

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

Platystemon posted:

It’s Antarctica. There is little to do there besides drink.

There's got to be easier ways to do that than becoming Irish Catholic.

old bean factory
Nov 18, 2006

Will ya close the fucking doors?!

Baron von Eevl posted:

I'm not going to go too far into it because honestly she's not a very close friend and I feel weird calling her "a friend" in retrospect instead of "someone I kinda know," but you're surprisingly close.

Haha that's fine, just thought I'd take a shot.

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

Shifty Nipples posted:

Shut up nerd

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
I have seen multiple sky wizard posts (here and on twitter) in the last 24 hours. Did Dawkins put out a new book or something?

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Henchman of Santa posted:

I have seen multiple sky wizard posts (here and on twitter) in the last 24 hours. Did Dawkins put out a new book or something?

Yeah Benzo Dawkins did.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Atticus_1354 posted:

Phat Beetz the 3rd

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Yeah he called it Ready Player Two

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

I managed to snag firstnamelastname.com, and so my email address is firstname@firstnamelastname.com. I've never had people thinking it's their address, but I did once get a Canadian guy with the same name as me wanting to buy the domain from me.

I declined, but I very nearly told him "ok, as long as I can be australia@firstnamelastname.com and you can be canada@firstnamelastname.com."

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

mng posted:

Lucifina Teufel?

Satanica Diablo.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Do not let goon TORQUEMADA ever meet this friend of yours

gleebster
Dec 16, 2006

Only a howler
Pillbug

Quiet Feet posted:

There's got to be easier ways to do that than becoming Irish Catholic.

Don't Knock it.

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

drat I didn't realize religious worship was such a vital component of scientific research in the most remote and inhospitable place on the planet

Shifty Nipples has a new favorite as of 00:52 on Nov 26, 2020

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Shifty Nipples posted:

drat I didn't realize religious worship was such a vital component of scientific research in the most remote and inhospitable place on the planet

It's almost like many people have strong ties to their faith, even scientists! They wouldn't be there if there was no demand for it.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Historically that is rarely the case.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

I mean if anywhere is the exception to that it's probably Antarctica.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

It's almost like many people have strong ties to their faith, even scientists! They wouldn't be there if there was no demand for it.

You're right, there was massive demand for catholic missions all over the Americas in the 15th century

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Memento posted:

You're right, there was massive demand for catholic missions all over the Americas in the 15th century

Don’t think that’s comparable to Antarctica, somehow

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
gently caress's sake, clearly I'm terrible at telling jokes, which is all that was, a joke

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
People talk about Galileo being persecuted by the Church but he got poo poo from other scientists too that wasn't based on religious objections.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

Memento posted:

Got to break in to new markets to keep that stockpile of gold going up.