Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

Jenny Agutter posted:

take-two buying codemasters. expect the level of microtransactions in F1 to become breathtaking

I always wanted to be a paydriver!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
Buy an extra 5 seconds of DRS for only 100 F1 Coins

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

peter gabriel posted:

Buy an extra 5 seconds of DRS for only 100 F1 Coins

They banned the Ferrari engine last year

Sebastian Flyte
Jun 27, 2003

Golly
Buy the Premium ERS upgrade: Pass start and collect 100 Electro-BoostPoints you can spend on the next lap.

Wait, that's how it already works, isn't it?

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
They should call the currency Racing Points and if you have any left over at the end of the season you can combine them to get a Mercedes :v:

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

WOULD YOU ACCOMPANY ME ON A BRISK WALK? I WOULD LIKE TO SPEAK WITH YOU!!

peter gabriel posted:

They should call the currency Racing Points and if you have any left over at the end of the season you can combine them to get a Mercedes :v:

Oh you...

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

peter gabriel posted:

:kstare:

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

I’m building a rig atm as my actual track car is tucked up in storage because of corona and winter. Trak racer TR8 and Thrustmaster TX leather. Does anyone have any thoughts on what size screen pairs best? I hope it turns out bloody good jm like a kid at Christmas.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

After severalcountless hours of bullshitting aroundserious, objective testing, I have determined the scientifically proven greatest rally car of all time.

And that car is... checks notes

The Ferrari F355? Somehow?

Look, it's just really fun on gravel for some reason. Go try it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nTLct6ymp5s

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

WOULD YOU ACCOMPANY ME ON A BRISK WALK? I WOULD LIKE TO SPEAK WITH YOU!!

I spent a while yesterday trying to remember how to drive in ACC since I've taken a bit of a hiatus from it for more rally, plus there's some tire model changes, and was just getting really frustrated that lap times were not where I wanted them.

So I decided to just do a quick race against AI with difficulty/aggression both at 92, started 21st in the grid of 24th at Zolder (random position), and just did a super fun 45 minute race, ending up in 8th despite getting spun out by an AI car and losing 17 seconds on one lap.

Sometimes I need to remember to stop trying to get better at hotlapping and qualifying and just go race and have fun with that. I have all my rally stuff which I'm much better at when I don't want to race against actual opponents and just against the clock.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

KillHour posted:

After severalcountless hours of bullshitting aroundserious, objective testing, I have determined the scientifically proven greatest rally car of all time.

The Ferrari F355? Somehow? Lancia Stratos

(it has a Ferrari engine so you're not far off :cheeky:)

KillHour posted:

Look, it's just really fun on gravel for some reason. Go try it.

Low center of gravity + rear wheel drive + gravel = DRIFTUUUU

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 07:23 on Nov 24, 2020

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

I think it being mid-engined, manual and high revving but not too powerful to control made it a good combo. You can get it really fuckin sideways and still recover. Also, I now have the world record lap time for a really obscure car/track combo so go me, I guess?

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Would it be reasonable to consider getting into PC Sim racing/driving if I only wanted to spend like 500-600 CAD (~450USD) on this? I have a very strong PC already (no VR though), was wondering about wheel/pedal recommendations. Is this too low a budget?

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

VelociBacon posted:

Would it be reasonable to consider getting into PC Sim racing/driving if I only wanted to spend like 500-600 CAD (~450USD) on this? I have a very strong PC already (no VR though), was wondering about wheel/pedal recommendations. Is this too low a budget?

If you already have a PC that's enough budget to dip your toes in for sure, and I wouldn't go whole-hog on a Fanatec rig until you know you really enjoy the hobby anyways.

https://www.amazon.com/Logitech-Dual-motor-Feedback-Responsive-PlayStation/dp/B00Z0UWWYC

That thing is pretty popular for the money. You can buy the H-shifter upgrade too if you want one.

VR definitely is a game-changer.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

VelociBacon posted:

Absolutely, a G29/G920 is always available for relatively cheap and the cheaper wheels like the Logitech and Thrustmaster stuff are used by the vast majority of people I'd say. I use a G29 and I'd say buy that and a nice standalone H-pattern shifter because H-pattern shifting is a lot of fun once you've got it down.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Zaphod42 posted:

If you already have a PC that's enough budget to dip your toes in for sure, and I wouldn't go whole-hog on a Fanatec rig until you know you really enjoy the hobby anyways.

https://www.amazon.com/Logitech-Dual-motor-Feedback-Responsive-PlayStation/dp/B00Z0UWWYC

That thing is pretty popular for the money. You can buy the H-shifter upgrade too if you want one.

VR definitely is a game-changer.

njsykora posted:

Absolutely, a G29/G920 is always available for relatively cheap and the cheaper wheels like the Logitech and Thrustmaster stuff are used by the vast majority of people I'd say. I use a G29 and I'd say buy that and a nice standalone H-pattern shifter because H-pattern shifting is a lot of fun once you've got it down.

Thanks, cheaper than I thought it would be. Picked up the G29 on sale (on Canadian Amazon also). I do some unimpressive track driving already IRL with a standard transmission and don't feel like I really need that for sim stuff. Looking forward to this! Thanks goons.

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about

KillHour posted:

The Ferrari F355? Somehow?

Please, it's not even the scientifically proven best Ferrari rally car:

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

One of the best yearly deals in sim racing is on with all the Black Friday deals. Raceroom's entire content pack is £40 which is an awesome deal with how much stuff there is. The process is a bit irritating though as getting the £40 price means buying their monopoly money so here's the short guide.
1) Go here to buy 7500 VRP for £40.
2) Go to the actual content store, login through Steam and redeem the VRP code to add the points to your account.
3) Use the points to buy the Premium Pack which has everything ever released to this point.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Alright so I got my wheel and pedals and have been playing around - so far just tried Dirt 2.0 and it.... is hard as hell but quite fun.

A rolling office chair isn't going to really work for this is it? I keep pushing myself backwards trying to brake.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

The advice for rolling chairs is just set something grippy behind the wheels so they don't move.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Yeah try putting like a stack of books behind your office chair or something if you can. But ideal would be something more fixed.

You're going to find that you're much slower with a wheel than a controller at first. Stick with it and you'll adjust and get faster than you were on controller.

Also, as frustrating as it is, you need to spend a good amount of time dialing in your wheel feedback settings. The differences are subtle but a dialed-in wheel versus a stock default settings wheel makes all the difference between being able to drift and recover a corner or just constantly over-correcting and crashing. A wheel with weird FFB settings makes it really hard to drive well.

The good news is you can google "<game name> + <your wheel model>" and you'll find lots of people posting their configurations, so you can just copy one to start with and tweak from there.

Fellblade
Apr 28, 2009

njsykora posted:

The advice for rolling chairs is just set something grippy behind the wheels so they don't move.

Locking casters are cheap enough to get hold of, I use them and they work pretty well, though depends what surface you are on.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Zaphod42 posted:

Yeah try putting like a stack of books behind your office chair or something if you can. But ideal would be something more fixed.

You're going to find that you're much slower with a wheel than a controller at first. Stick with it and you'll adjust and get faster than you were on controller.

Also, as frustrating as it is, you need to spend a good amount of time dialing in your wheel feedback settings. The differences are subtle but a dialed-in wheel versus a stock default settings wheel makes all the difference between being able to drift and recover a corner or just constantly over-correcting and crashing. A wheel with weird FFB settings makes it really hard to drive well.

The good news is you can google "<game name> + <your wheel model>" and you'll find lots of people posting their configurations, so you can just copy one to start with and tweak from there.

Yeah I'm in F1 2020 now and you can very easily just bring people's steam workshop poo poo into the game without even restarting it.

Soooo is there a discord or something where you guys all hang out? Guess I'll check the OP but I don't remember seeing it. Would be fun to get some goon races going. I was avoiding all the tarmac driving games previously because with an xbox controller it just felt uselessly difficult but I might have to pick some stuff up now.

I'm finding F1 to be much much easier/more fun than Dirt 2.0 with the wheel and pedals.

e:

Fellblade posted:

Locking casters are cheap enough to get hold of, I use them and they work pretty well, though depends what surface you are on.

I feel like even the rotation of the chair is kinda loving with me but I'm not sure if my butt is just confused why it doesn't feel any car movement. What wheels are you using? I have a Steelcase Leap so I'm guessing there is going to be a lot of aftermarket support for it.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

VelociBacon posted:

Soooo is there a discord or something where you guys all hang out? Guess I'll check the OP but I don't remember seeing it. Would be fun to get some goon races going. I was avoiding all the tarmac driving games previously because with an xbox controller it just felt uselessly difficult but I might have to pick some stuff up now.
The Bearpope discord is here. Though pretty much all the group racing happens on iRacing.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Oh my god I just had the first moment where I brought a car through a series of fast sweeping tight corners, exactly the kind of thing a controller is horrible at, and I'm in love.

njsykora posted:

The Bearpope discord is here. Though pretty much all the group racing happens on iRacing.

Thanks.

e: vvv yeah I'm on hardwood. I'll look at my options.

Fellblade
Apr 28, 2009

VelociBacon posted:

I feel like even the rotation of the chair is kinda loving with me but I'm not sure if my butt is just confused why it doesn't feel any car movement. What wheels are you using? I have a Steelcase Leap so I'm guessing there is going to be a lot of aftermarket support for it.

I have a GT-Omega chair of some kind, which rotates. I just got some third party ones off amazon for £15-ish and they do the job, though I am on a carpeted floor, doubt they'd work as well on wood or vinyl.

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!
I've seen some guy who had a sort of belt from his chair to his pedals.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just gonna post the legendary rig of Glenn McGee, who won a competition on iRacing and is now a Mazda factory driver.
https://twitter.com/racermcgee/status/668445452254232577

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

VelociBacon posted:

Alright so I got my wheel and pedals and have been playing around - so far just tried Dirt 2.0 and it.... is hard as hell but quite fun.

A rolling office chair isn't going to really work for this is it? I keep pushing myself backwards trying to brake.

This is what you need OP. Locks the pedal base to your chair wheels.

If you’re handy at all you could certainly make something like this for yourself and save some $

https://www.peingear.com/product-page/pein-s-pedal-mount

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

This is what you need OP. Locks the pedal base to your chair wheels.

If you’re handy at all you could certainly make something like this for yourself and save some $

https://www.peingear.com/product-page/pein-s-pedal-mount

Cool. I can probably make something for less but it's good to know that exists, makes sense.

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about
Good lord you nerds will overthink everything:

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

The thing I posted is good because even with those wheel cups you can still push the pedal base on the carpet. You need the base locked to the chair in order to prevent both the base and the chair from moving

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
Perhaps a system of pulleys and counterweights would be the way to go?
Just spitballing here.
You could jack up the foundations on your house one one side and let gravity do its thing, maybe a bungee cord from chair to desk to avoid sliding back too far

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

The thing I posted is good because even with those wheel cups you can still push the pedal base on the carpet. You need the base locked to the chair in order to prevent both the base and the chair from moving

It's probably worth spending the 5 bucks on them anyway to find out before you spend 110 on a solution you don't actually need.

Sebastian Flyte
Jun 27, 2003

Golly

njsykora posted:

I'm just gonna post the legendary rig of Glenn McGee, who won a competition on iRacing and is now a Mazda factory driver.
https://twitter.com/racermcgee/status/668445452254232577

If you're starting out in sim racing please remember that a leopard skin seat is mandatory. You will never be accepted in the sim racing community without one.

Eyud
Aug 5, 2006

Vando posted:

It's probably worth spending the 5 bucks on them anyway to find out before you spend 110 on a solution you don't actually need.

Yeah, you can also build one with some 2x4s and screws for a lot less than $110.

Eyud fucked around with this message at 02:18 on Nov 26, 2020

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Vando posted:

Good lord you nerds will overthink everything:

Right.. you can literally get Wheel Chocks for Eleven dollars.
https://amzn.to/3q3FbVy

I bought the "bed" ones that werr 13 in a 6 pack, I really only need to use 2-3 at a time.
https://amzn.to/2V4h7ne

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

tater_salad posted:

Right.. you can literally get Wheel Chocks for Eleven dollars.
https://amzn.to/3q3FbVy

What the gently caress is this coffee table?

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Race table go brrrrr

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

GutBomb posted:

What the gently caress is this coffee table?

When you just decide to keep the cart that the delivery people used to drop your furniture off