Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

neonchameleon posted:

Even success for Disney makes no sense given the legal fees likely to be involved.

They got the money. It ain't a problem.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Also companies the size of Disney have so many lawyers on retainer that they're functionally their own law firm. They pay nothing extra because they are already involved in continuous litigation as a matter of course.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Wasn't Disney the pioneer of using legal fees as operating expense?

I can't think of a company that leaned harder on lawyers before them.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Leperflesh posted:

Also companies the size of Disney have so many lawyers on retainer that they're functionally their own law firm. They pay nothing extra because they are already involved in continuous litigation as a matter of course.

Functionally? I’m pretty sure they just own law firms, same as most insurance companies.

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

neonchameleon posted:

Even success for Disney makes no sense given the legal fees likely to be involved.

It's more about the brand than anything. Disney has this cult-like obsession with their branding, language, and culture that permeates every level of their company. Disney will also use every available tax and regulatory loophole to write off expenses as well so I'm sure it's not as bad for them as it could seem. This is the same company that secretly bought enough land to build a city on, so they could make a fake one, and not have to be bothered by local regulations below the county level. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lake_Buena_Vista%2C_Florida

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Leperflesh posted:

A retainer isn't a salary, it's just a deposit against expected legal work, there to ensure the lawyer gets paid at least that amount if the work is done. You don't need a retainer to get a lawyer to work for you.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

OK well maybe it's not "retainer" and just a salary then?
https://www.abajournal.com/news/article/disneys_top_lawyer_is_best_paid_general_counsel

They were paying their top lawyer $7M in 2016, the best-paid corporate council in the country, and if I'm reading this right they have like 70 more lawyers too. Employees or on retainer or whatever, the point is they have a big legal budget already spent and dealing with this little bitty lawsuit by some random book authors is an insignificant cost for them.

Eastmabl
Jan 29, 2019

Leperflesh posted:

https://www.abajournal.com/news/article/disneys_top_lawyer_is_best_paid_general_counsel

They were paying their top lawyer $7M in 2016, the best-paid corporate council in the country, and if I'm reading this right they have like 70 more lawyers too. Employees or on retainer or whatever, the point is they have a big legal budget already spent and dealing with this little bitty lawsuit by some random book authors is an insignificant cost for them.

Counsel positions within a company are employees of the company.

This differs from outside counsel, which a company might keep on retainer and to whom they pay hourly legal fees.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

Leperflesh posted:

Those employees aren’t the people they turn to to handle actual litigation, though - they’re the ones who set legal strategy for their outside counsel, handle deal negotiation, do internal risk and compliance work, etc.

Large companies absolutely have to budget an insane amount of legal spend for outside counsel as a matter of course, but they don’t want to spend that money, so if they can avoid tapping (or minimize cost of tapping) that part of their budget they will. (Never worked for Disney, but worked for a number of megacorps as outside counsel.)

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

So today Random House won a bid to purchase Simon & Schuster, allowing for regulatory approval in 2021. So now I'm wondering if a small part of my yearly income doesn't hinge on the outcome of any case this Disney thing generates.

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant
There, are, like, four people who read this thread but not TG Chat, I assume, so this is for them.

PEG Inc posted:

Following the incredible reception we had with Kevin Siembieda’s phenomenal world of Rifts®, we’re bringing Pathfinder’s fantastic Adventure Paths to the Savage Worlds™ system, starting with the best-selling Rise of the Runelords™!

The Kickstarter begins mid-January, 2021, and will feature the Savage Pathfinder core rules, a boxed set with all the usual Savage Worlds accessories, AND the Rise of the Runelords boxed set with all six books of the Adventure Path and other deluxe accessories!

admanb
Jun 18, 2014

Huh. Kinda seems like Paizo might be struggling.

That's cool though. Pathfinder Adventure Paths are well-regarded and Savage Worlds is a better system than Pathfinder.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

admanb posted:

Huh. Kinda seems like Paizo might be struggling.

That's cool though. Pathfinder Adventure Paths are well-regarded and Savage Worlds is a better system than Pathfinder.

Yeah, I have played a ton of their pre-made adventures over the years and they are mostly pretty good. Is there anyone else in the industry that even does anything close to complete campaigns anymore?

admanb
Jun 18, 2014

Lord_Hambrose posted:

Yeah, I have played a ton of their pre-made adventures over the years and they are mostly pretty good. Is there anyone else in the industry that even does anything close to complete campaigns anymore?

Chaosium does that or close to it for Call of Cthulhu. I can't think of any others.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

admanb posted:

Chaosium does that or close to it for Call of Cthulhu. I can't think of any others.
Pendragon (which is back at Chaosium) possesses the greatest giant epic campaign among all RPGs.

KingKalamari
Aug 24, 2007

Fuzzy dice, bongos in the back
My ship of love is ready to attack
Legendary Games also puts out Paizo-style adventure paths for Pathfinder & 5e, and Modiphius released Odyssey of the Dragonlords last year, which was a full 1st-15th level campaign for 5e.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
Am I reading that correctly that there was a Pathfinder/Rifts crossover?

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

whydirt posted:

Am I reading that correctly that there was a Pathfinder/Rifts crossover?

Savage Worlds/Rifts.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Lord_Hambrose posted:

There are games that are entirely modeled after a specific model for a campaign, like how The Gaean Reach assumes that the PCs are all questing for vengeance against an interstellar supervillain (who defaults to "Quandos Vorn" but can be anybody).

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

Halloween Jack posted:

There are games that are entirely modeled after a specific model for a campaign, like how The Gaean Reach assumes that the PCs are all questing for vengeance against an interstellar supervillain (who defaults to "Quandos Vorn" but can be anybody).

There's also games like Band of Blades that run exactly one predefined campaign with a little wiggle room for different characters taking part. Anything but the one campaign is homebrew rules territory.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

FMguru posted:

Pendragon (which is back at Chaosium) possesses the greatest giant epic campaign among all RPGs.

Oh absolutely, but ultimately just the one. Pendragon is the gold standard for an RPG designed to perfectly do the thing it sets out to do.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/gapingmaws/status/1332162043592359936

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

This seems like an honest way to express what the article is saying.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

It's really hard to take this seriously given what we know about WotC itself.

E: Plus, it looks like they're not going to offer the Less Racist 5e for free*, which is a loving joke by itself.

*Except through D&D beyond, and I don't know what kind of payment you have to make to create a character there

King of Solomon fucked around with this message at 16:10 on Nov 27, 2020

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
Beyond is not in any way run or tied to Wizards or Hasbro outside of them paying to license the name from them, and selling the books themselves. It's run by Fandom Games.

You can create characters with options that are in the SRD for free there. But have to pay for books or other options that come from books.

Also I dunno what Unearthed Arcana has to do with any of this as it's just playtest stuff. Did they mean Errata?

But yeah it's largely bullshit, they could fix this poo poo insidr of 6 months if they had the corporate will to do so.

Hire people and actually listening to them is not hard.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
how does the Less Racist 5e interact with the PHB+1 rule

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice

gradenko_2000 posted:

You can be less racist as your character option, sure.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

gradenko_2000 posted:

It doesn't, As far as Adventurer's League play goes, which is the only place where PHB + 1 is a thing, the customization rules from Tasha's are printed in the AL rules and as such doesn't count against the PHB + 1 rule.

KingKalamari
Aug 24, 2007

Considering their solution thus far has been "uhh...I don't know, just place your ability score bonuses wherever, I guess?", I can see why this is going to take a while...

It's especially frustrating because, in the timespan of WotC announcing they were going to try to tackle the racial essentialism that permeates the game and Tasha's coming out at least three different third party supplements for race mechanics in 5e were released that all had better solutions than what Wizards came up with...

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?

KingKalamari posted:

It's especially frustrating because, in the timespan of WotC announcing they were going to try to tackle the racial essentialism that permeates the game and Tasha's coming out at least three different third party supplements for race mechanics in 5e were released that all had better solutions than what Wizards came up with...

What were the supplements and what was their solutions?

KingKalamari
Aug 24, 2007

Comstar posted:

What were the supplements and what was their solutions?

The three major ones I've seen are:

Grazilaxx's Guide to Ancestry which uses a system where every race has an assortment of features (Called "Inheritances") that you buy using a set number of points. Inheritances are broken down into Major Inheritances (Which cost 2 points) and Minor Inheritances (Which cost 1 point)

Ancestry & Culture: An Alternative to Race in 5e takes a more simplified approach, breaking races down into two aspects: "Ancestry" which covers racial traits that would be related to a character's physical biology (Stuff like a Minotaur's unarmed strikes from having horns or a Lizardfolk's unarmored defense from having scales) and "Culture" which covers all of the racial traits that would be tied to a character's upbringing (Weapon and skill proficiencies, languages, etc.), with players able to mix and match the two as they see fit. In this system your ability score bonuses are specifically tied to your Culture.

Finally there's An Elf and an Orc Had a Little Baby: Parentage and Upbringing in D&D, which is primarily intended to support making characters whose parents were different species (A half-Elf/half-Orc for example). This one takes a similar approach to the problem as Ancestry and Culture, but also breaks the Ancestry traits up into two or more packages, representing the species of one of the character's parents.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

it owns that they're literally going to profit off eventually being less racist in a few years and they're presenting that as some genuine blow for justice.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
Just like they did with their 'we rewrote strahd to be less gross about the romani analogues and now we're selling it for 100 bucks' initiative

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Leraika posted:

Just like they did with their 'we rewrote strahd to be less gross about the romani analogues and now we're selling it for 100 bucks' initiative

We love the hobby, don't we folks? We love it, we love that the biggest force by a country mile in it is absolutely riddled with ghouls. We love seeing them dump buckets of money into media products to ensure anyone with half an interest in the topic just assumes they're the default without ever having to see what complete scumbags they are.

mellonbread
Dec 20, 2017
Just learned the game store I grew up with closed forever. My guess is Magic was the only profitable thing they sold, and without the ability to do in-person tournaments and game nights and whatnot, they couldn't afford the absorb the losses from the RPG side of the house.

I said earlier in this very thread that I'd happily nuke Wizards out of existence in a heartbeat. Maybe I still would, but I'm wondering if the brick and mortar ecosystem could even survive without its drunken, abusive stepfather. The only other thing I can think of that might keep game stores afloat is Warhammer.

Maybe physical stores are doomed anyway, regardless of whose withered teat they attach themselves to. But the alternative is probably Amazon controlling everything (minus the scraps people toss to itch.io), which I'm not sure I like better. As much as I don't care for 5E or Pathfinder, the ability of a new player to show up to AL or PFS and learn to play their first RPG from an experienced DM eager to teach the game was a good thing.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Leraika posted:

Tbf they also published the rewrites and changes changes for the normal book reprints that came out this year. But yeah they did do a big 100 dollar special edition that comes with physical maps and a bunch of other nonsense.

They also released an Errata document for Strahd with the changes.

admanb
Jun 18, 2014

mellonbread posted:

Just learned the game store I grew up with closed forever. My guess is Magic was the only profitable thing they sold, and without the ability to do in-person tournaments and game nights and whatnot, they couldn't afford the absorb the losses from the RPG side of the house.

I said earlier in this very thread that I'd happily nuke Wizards out of existence in a heartbeat. Maybe I still would, but I'm wondering if the brick and mortar ecosystem could even survive without its drunken, abusive stepfather. The only other thing I can think of that might keep game stores afloat is Warhammer.

95% of game stores would be dead without Magic: the Gathering.

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice

Dexo posted:

They also released an Errata document for Strahd with the changes.

Errata? What would that look like?

On page 39, line 18, insert the word, "Some" before, "Borovians are cowardly and superstitious, and tend to use crimes to feed themselves."

On page 72, full color image insert, substitute "Dour Prince Inn" on the sign instead of, "Gypsies and other criminals welcome."

On page 86, replace paragraphs 4, 5, 6, 7, and 8 with, "Ravenloft is a land of contrasts."

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops

admanb posted:

95% of game stores would be dead without Magic: the Gathering.

I've probably said before but our store owner's been clear the things that keep them in business are card games and food.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Did they repeat the thing of having half-Vistani separate player race like 2nd edition did? Cause that was some major yikes right there.

Mystic Mongol posted:

On page 39, line 18, insert the word, "Some" before, "Borovians are cowardly and superstitious, and tend to use crimes to feed themselves."
No see Borovians are Hungarian stand-ins. This was only meant to address the anti-Romani racism. You will have to buy the next re-release for any further racism fixing.