Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
What are you all using to get mp3s onto your device to use with apps like Poweramp?

I use MediaMonkey on my desktop and went to use their app, but getting to the part where you select what to sync is like 6 steps. It's set it and forget it if you want to sync your entire library, but mine is larger than the storage on my phone, so that's a no-go.

I'd like to have something that shows a list of albums, I click which ones I want, and they download. This could very well be limited to stuff on my local network, I don't need syncing over the internet. I could manually copy stuff off my local server, but that doesn't seem fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Does it have to be wireless? Because I seem to remember desktop MM being pretty good with syncing with plugged in devices. Haven't done that myself in a while though.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Flipperwaldt posted:

Does it have to be wireless? Because I seem to remember desktop MM being pretty good with syncing with plugged in devices. Haven't done that myself in a while though.

Wireless syncing is fine. It's just like 5-6 steps* to get to the part where you select what you want to sync. I expect doing it over USB is the same method, with the addition of plugging it in.

Options -> Sync Settings -> Auto-sync server content -> Music -> Artist/Album/Genre -> (select artist if in that tab) -> select album, repeat last two steps for every album you wanna sync.

You can delete anything you want from your device, but it comes back on the next sync, so you gotta go through the same steps and unselect everything you want to remove from your device.

At this point, I may as well put up with the pain of YouTube Music and not have another app on my phone.

EDIT: I believe people are putting stuff into OneDrive or whatever and streaming from there with various apps, but that moves my library organization from my phone to my computer, organizing what's in my OneDrive folder. And paying for more space as I don't have enough for my music library.

Uthor fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Nov 13, 2020

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Uthor posted:

Wireless syncing is fine. It's just like 5-6 steps* to get to the part where you select what you want to sync. I expect doing it over USB is the same method, with the addition of plugging it in.
No, what I'm suggesting is you ignore or even uninstall the phone app and do the selecting music and initiating of the sync from your pc, where interface and input devices make things less of a hassle.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Flipperwaldt posted:

No, what I'm suggesting is you ignore or even uninstall the phone app and do the selecting music and initiating of the sync from your pc, where interface and input devices make things less of a hassle.

Ah, that's an option.

Looks like I can also sync a single playlist and maybe use that as a way to select what I want on my device. Fake edit: yeah, I can add and remove stuff in the playlist, hit the big Sync button on the main screen, and it does it automatically (other than the confirmation to delete files from my phone).

Thanks for listening to my bitching.

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

For syncing my music files to my phome, I use an app called Cheetah Sync, which has a daemon on my PC and a client on the phone. It works and while it's not fast, it seems like the bottleneck is the storage on my Pixel 2.

I experimented with an rsync client but it was harder to manage and turned out not to be any faster.

Edit: looks like Cheetah Sync doesn't exist anymore, so I too will be looking for a solution to this problem when I upgrade.

Zorak of Michigan fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Nov 13, 2020

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Uthor posted:

What are you all using to get mp3s onto your device to use with apps like Poweramp?

I use MediaMonkey on my desktop and went to use their app, but getting to the part where you select what to sync is like 6 steps. It's set it and forget it if you want to sync your entire library, but mine is larger than the storage on my phone, so that's a no-go.

I'd like to have something that shows a list of albums, I click which ones I want, and they download. This could very well be limited to stuff on my local network, I don't need syncing over the internet. I could manually copy stuff off my local server, but that doesn't seem fun.

Generally, I just connect my phone to my computer, and copy over. I also have an SMB2 connection to my computer set up in Solid Explorer, so I can just drop my music in C:\Users\Public\Music\, and then copy from there.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Anyone got any recommendations for habit tracking/reminding apps?

Soysaucebeast
Mar 4, 2008

Skarsnik posted:

Anyone got any recommendations for habit tracking/reminding apps?

I use HabitBull. You can set individual reminders on each thing, and then set them with individual times/sounds/vibrations. It's been really handy for me, and I've been using it a couple months now.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Thanks I'll check it out :)

Soysaucebeast
Mar 4, 2008

I know y'all used to recommend Fenix as a Twitter replacement. Is Fenix 2 worth 5$ or should I use a different app? Twitter is just straight up refusing to show my notifications so I'm looking for a replacement app for it.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
Is there a new hotness for SMS apps that work well on Android 11? Mood is kind of loving me over with notifications not coming through and it might be time to switch.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Echophonic posted:

Is there a new hotness for SMS apps that work well on Android 11? Mood is kind of loving me over with notifications not coming through and it might be time to switch.

Textra works fine for me. It even has the chat bubble thing if you're into that.

Leon Sumbitches
Mar 27, 2010

Dr. Leon Adoso Sumbitches (prounounced soom-'beh-cheh) (born January 21, 1935) is heir to the legendary Adoso family oil fortune.

Echophonic posted:

I switched over to Signal earlier in the year. It handles SMS or if both parties are on signal, encrypted sms. Decent ux, does everything I want a sms app to do

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

hooah posted:

Textra works fine for me. It even has the chat bubble thing if you're into that.

Everything has text bubbles under Android 11, it's a feature of the OS.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

LastInLine posted:

Everything has text bubbles under Android 11, it's a feature of the OS.

*In theory, it doesn't work with everything yet

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Skarsnik posted:

Yeah, Textra didn't have the bubbles until an update a few weeks ago.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Skarsnik posted:

Weird, it's not like the app should even have to opt into it from my understanding. If it's a messaging app, it's added to the Conversations part of the notification classification scheme and that's it, it should all be behind the scenes. That said, Android 11 can't automatically handle media properly either so it doesn't surprise me...

In other news, surprised no one is talking about the new Google Pay app which has some seriously strong Banking-in-the-Global-South Energy. Total garbage as far as I can tell.

fluppet
Feb 10, 2009
Is there a thread approved replacement for k9 mail?

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

fluppet posted:

Nine has been the go-to for a long time, but it's not cheap.

zzMisc
Jun 26, 2002

Vykk.Draygo posted:

Nine has been the go-to for a long time, but it's not cheap.

Do you know if Nine lets you get around the whole "Give your work permission to wipe your whole device" thing that normal Outlook wants? If it lets me get work email on my phone while also keeping it totally sandboxed, that'd be worth the $15.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Can you sign in using a work profile? That sandboxes the whole work environment, all the apps, notifications, everything.

Nitrousoxide fucked around with this message at 14:43 on Nov 19, 2020

zzMisc
Jun 26, 2002

Nitrousoxide posted:

Can you sign in using a work profile? That sandboxes the whole work environment, all the apps, notifications, everything.

Well thank you, I had no idea what was a thing! I could indeed do that. That would certainly do it; but email is the only thing I'd want separate, so if Nine can handle it that way it'd still be nice to avoid having to set up and switch around to a separate profile.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

If your work doesn't support work profiles maybe this will work? It looks like it can setup a local work profile.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=net.typeblog.shelter&hl=en

https://www.xda-developers.com/shelter-open-source-sandboxing-app/

I haven't tested this myself so it may not play nice with a work app trying to administer the device.

The way work profile works is it's setup alongside your personal profile. you don't have to reboot the phone or anything. It just prevents your work apps from talking to your personal apps. From your end it would be a more or less seamless experience, except you might have two email apps, one with JUST your work email and another with all your personal emails.

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!
I'm pretty sure nine sandboxes itself.
I've been using it for years now, when you set it up it asks if you want the device or just the app encrypted. Also, i just had a coworker set it up and he hasn't had to pay? I couldn't find the cost since I have it purchased..?

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008

Ali Aces posted:

Well thank you, I had no idea what was a thing! I could indeed do that. That would certainly do it; but email is the only thing I'd want separate, so if Nine can handle it that way it'd still be nice to avoid having to set up and switch around to a separate profile.

You don't have to "switch" anything for the work profile, the work apps just run under this sandboxed environment.

zzMisc
Jun 26, 2002

Guy Axlerod posted:

You don't have to "switch" anything for the work profile, the work apps just run under this sandboxed environment.

In that case I have no idea what ya'll are talking about. When I search up "Android Work profile", I see stuff about Android Enterprise, something I know nothing about. This is just my personal phone, my work just uses O365.

Further searching turns up "Intune Company Portal", is this what you mean? I have no idea if my office has that or not, but I'll try it and find out.

Edit: Yeah, when I try to set up the Intune Company Portal it demands permission to administer my device, which is exactly what I don't want. Screw it, I'll get Nine.

Edit2: Yeah Nine looks pretty great. I like the 'vip' thing for email alerts. It can also sync contacts from the GAL without messing with your device contacts, if you tell it to. They won my money.

You can pay for it early from the About screen, if you don't want to wait until the 2 week expiration.

zzMisc fucked around with this message at 16:31 on Nov 19, 2020

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007
I am a giant assfuck who needs to harden the fuck up.

What's the go to as close to stock launcher as possible? I really like the default launcher, but the fact that my 4a 5g can have the same amount of app icons as my non-XL pixel 2 is absurd and might be the thing that pushes me over to a custom one. I assume there isn't a way to do this without replacing the launcher.

Grumpwagon fucked around with this message at 02:33 on Nov 21, 2020

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

Grumpwagon posted:

What's the go to as close to stock launcher as possible? I really like the default launcher, but the fact that my 4a 5g can have the same amount of app icons as my non-XL pixel 2 is absurd and might be the thing that pushes me over to a custom one. I assume there isn't a way to do this without replacing the launcher.

Nova Launcher.

the_lion
Jun 8, 2010

On the hunt for prey... :D

fluppet posted:

I'm using boxer by VMware, but it's not free.

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

fluppet posted:

I'm a former k9mail user and now I use Aqua Mail for my personal account and Nine for work.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.

Grumpwagon posted:

I recall Lawnchair to be good. There was another one called rootless Pixel launcher or something to that effect that was literally just the Pixel launcher but customizable

Disclaimer: These opinions are from last summer (as in 2019) so I can't comment on how much they've changed

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Yeah I like lawnchair. Just wanted more rows and columns of icons and it does that.

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007
I am a giant assfuck who needs to harden the fuck up.

I tried Lawnchair and it seems to do what I want (I'm sure Nova would have too). Thanks!

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!
Re: earlier talk on hangouts and what to replace it with, you don't have to replace it with anything, you will just have to switch over to google chat next year and your conversations will be there as they currently are in gsuite.

sweart gliwere
Jul 5, 2005

better to die an evil wizard,
than to live as a grand one.
Pillbug

Celexi posted:

Re: earlier talk on hangouts and what to replace it with, you don't have to replace it with anything, you will just have to switch over to google chat next year and your conversations will be there as they currently are in gsuite.

The Google Voice app works for uses like mine (alt number for calling + texting), and even has a decent dark theme.

I can't remember the last time I used it before Hangouts was put on the chopping block, so it must've been pretty unpleasant or lacking at some point?

It's essentially Hangouts+Dialer now, so pretty much identical but with a bottom icon tab navigator.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Anyone have any experience using Amazon photos to back up and sync their photos that they take on their phone? It looks like that I have unlimited space for photos on there as a prime member so I'm considering using that in place of Google photos with their limitations coming up.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Nitrousoxide posted:

Anyone have any experience using Amazon photos to back up and sync their photos that they take on their phone? It looks like that I have unlimited space for photos on there as a prime member so I'm considering using that in place of Google photos with their limitations coming up.

I guess I'll follow up on this since I've had a couple of days to experiment. Obviously yesterday was not a great experience what with Amazon servers being down across the US. But once that cleared up it started automatically backing everything up. You can set it up so that it will only back up while on Wi-Fi and charging which I find to be the best experience so that you don't blow through your battery or data cap.

Amazon's identification AI is not as good as Google. It thought that some rocks that I took pictures of were vegetables. but it did correctly identify me as a person and was able to group all the pictures that I was in even if it didn't know who I was. You can set identifications for people it sees so it will later group them correctly together.

It does try to group pictures together by day, location taken, and what it thinks is in them just like Google. Aside from the latter being not as good it seems perfectly acceptable and makes it's pretty easy to find photos later on I think.

If you want to share with other people who have Amazon accounts then it's a relatively straightforward thing and there's even a built-in mini chat app so they can respond to a share in there. Of course you can always share outside of the app as well.

I actually have an easier time pulling the pictures out of the Amazon universe than I do with Google as all you have to do is navigate to your prime drive, or was it Amazon drive, and just select download and it'll start downloading. no need for a separate takeout system like Google has with their data availability.

I don't have a good eye to be able to tell if it is doing any compression on the images, but as far as I can tell it doesn't look like it.

Edit: it also has the ability to set photos as hidden and it squirrels them away separately. I assume this is for your naughty photos if you like taking those.

Nitrousoxide fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Nov 26, 2020

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Are there any podcast apps that let you filter a feed based on title? A podcast I listen to recently added their weekly live streams to their feed, but I watch those separately on YouTube, so I don't want them on the podcast feed. It'd be nice not to have to manually delete them as they come in. Currently using Pocket Casts, but I'm open to trying something else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

AntennaPod can either include or exclude based on keywords. Per feed setting.