Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
My main problems with my 16" is its somewhat poor battery life and how hot it gets when I connect an external monitor, I don't hear the fans too much. Its also huge but you get used to it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rollie Fingers
Jul 28, 2002

hatty posted:

RAM doesn’t seem to be much of an issue based on reviews for the Air, I’d assume the same would be said for the base Mini

mediaphage posted:

8 gigs is absolutely enough for that

I think I'll take the plunge but I've been wary because I don't have good things to say about my old 2017 iMac with 8gb of RAM.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

Rollie Fingers posted:

I think I'll take the plunge but I've been wary because I don't have good things to say about my old 2017 iMac with 8gb of RAM.

were they even shipping with default ssds at that point yet

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

mediaphage posted:

Fusion :negative:

Rollie Fingers
Jul 28, 2002

It had a Fusion drive, so there was (IIRC) a 32gb SSD alongside the HDD.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Rollie Fingers posted:

Anyone using the Mac Mini M1 8gb version yet?

The base Mini is seriously tempting me but I'm concerned about the lack of ram. I'd use it as a second computer for internet browsing, streaming and light video editing. All the reliable journalists seem to have reviewed the 16gb version.

iMore's M1 review was the base model 8gb, 7 GPU core version and had nothing but good things to say about it
https://www.imore.com/macbook-air-m1-review

mediaphage posted:

They only got rid of the Fusion drive in the iMac and switched to an SSD 3 months ago

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Rollie Fingers posted:

It had a Fusion drive, so there was (IIRC) a 32gb SSD alongside the HDD.

yeah, even for macos those barely count, though. i think you'll be pretty pleased tbh.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Man, I wasn't initially sold on the whole haptic feedback trackpad system. I felt kind of gimmicky. Why do that when you could just have a physical click right? But the ability to click literally anywhere and even change how hard do you have to press to get it to click is extremely nice.

It's also shocking how much it feels like a real click. I still honestly amazed at how good it feels several days later.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Going back to trackpad with a physical click is jarring, you try to press in at the top right corner and it doesn’t budge and you feel like it’s broken for a second.

tragic_ethos
Apr 10, 2007
Advertise here.
Grimey Drawer

hatty posted:

Going back to trackpad with a physical click is jarring, you try to press in at the top right corner and it doesn’t budge and you feel like it’s broken for a second.

I wonder if there’s anything comparable on windows side now, it was the biggest QoL improvement I noticed when I got my first macbook pro.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I just use the two and three finger touch and gestures on Windows and don't physically click.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I've groused about this before but I just wish the click/press detection on the force-feedback trackpad was better. Once every ~20 or 30 clicks I'll press down with my finger and it just ... won't register it, and my finger jams down on an unyielding, unmoving slab instead of triggering a "click" and the cursor jiggles all around. It's jarring as hell, like I just stood up and whanged my head into an open cupboard door or something.

It's me, the guy who to this day thinks the first iPod was the best because the physically rotating wheel meant you never broke contact with a point on the surface as you spun it around, letting the stiction guide your fingertip in a circle, instead of having to do all the circular tracking work yourself in all the subsequent, trackpad-style ones.

But anakin got sand in his ipod or whatever so lol

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

FCKGW posted:

iMore's M1 review was the base model 8gb, 7 GPU core version and had nothing but good things to say about it
https://www.imore.com/macbook-air-m1-review

They only got rid of the Fusion drive in the iMac and switched to an SSD 3 months ago

My iMac 2015 5k is an amazing machine that could probably last ten years...

But it has a fusion drive so when gen 2 of the new iMacs come out I’ll upgrade for that alone.

Coffee Jones
Jul 4, 2004

16 bit? Back when we was kids we only got a single bit on Christmas, as a treat
And we had to share it!
work laptop - lemmie know when you offer 64gb guys

Coffee Jones fucked around with this message at 01:00 on Nov 26, 2020

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
About a month ago my boss pushed me to buy him a new MBP because he said his three year old one was slow. I'm wondering how long it will be before he starts complaining that the new one isn't an M1 and that I should've made him wait.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Coffee Jones posted:

work laptop - lemmie know when you offer 64gb guys

You couldn't get >16gb on the Intel laptops the M1 replaced either :ssh:

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Picked up the M1 13" MBP today. Getting apps installed but haven't had any issue so far. macOS feels really snappy so far in everything I've done. I haven't had a MBP with a touchbar yet, but so far it doesn't seem like something I'll use much.

If anyone has any particular questions/etc., let me know.

Coffee Jones
Jul 4, 2004

16 bit? Back when we was kids we only got a single bit on Christmas, as a treat
And we had to share it!
oh jeezus, a 16 inch 64GB MBP is starts at $3600 USD , no wonder work strongly suggests a PC.

as nice as this i9 is ...
code:
cat /proc/cpuinfo | grep bugs
bugs            : cpu_meltdown spectre_v1 spectre_v2 spec_store_bypass l1tf mds swapgs taa itlb_multihit srbds
:banjo:

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Nitrousoxide posted:

Man, I wasn't initially sold on the whole haptic feedback trackpad system. I felt kind of gimmicky. Why do that when you could just have a physical click right? But the ability to click literally anywhere and even change how hard do you have to press to get it to click is extremely nice.

It's also shocking how much it feels like a real click. I still honestly amazed at how good it feels several days later.

I've owned both the Magic Trackpad 1 and 2, and the only way I know it isn't a button is when they're turned off.
Even holding one corner between two fingers and pressing together, I think it's a button.

It's just that good.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
The Magic Trackpad is easily the most impressed I've ever been with any of Apple's unique hardware offerings, ever. The whole endeavour is a slam dunk triumph. Every aspect of it sings. The texture of it is perfect. The size of it is perfect. It's completely seamless in integration with the OS's existing features. It's completely intuitive in the additional features it offers (gestures, right clicking, force clicking, etc). The action is distinct, unmistakeable and responsive. And on top of all of that, it also lets Apple make stuff smaller. There is not a single way it compares unfavourably to any alternative offering other than a mouse in the specific use-case of gaming. If I ever buy a desktop Mac again I'm not even bothering with a mouse. I might try and use it with Windows.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Fedule posted:

The Magic Trackpad is easily the most impressed I've ever been with any of Apple's unique hardware offerings, ever. The whole endeavour is a slam dunk triumph. Every aspect of it sings. The texture of it is perfect. The size of it is perfect. It's completely seamless in integration with the OS's existing features. It's completely intuitive in the additional features it offers (gestures, right clicking, force clicking, etc). The action is distinct, unmistakeable and responsive. And on top of all of that, it also lets Apple make stuff smaller. There is not a single way it compares unfavourably to any alternative offering other than a mouse in the specific use-case of gaming. If I ever buy a desktop Mac again I'm not even bothering with a mouse. I might try and use it with Windows.

honestly most of the magic goes away with windows ime but in fairness it's been a couple of years since i've tried. i agree with everything else you said, though; i don't use a mouse with macs, like, ever because the trackpads are so good.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Fedule posted:

If I ever buy a desktop Mac again I'm not even bothering with a mouse.

I don't regret making this choice, and playing FTL is still fine.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

LionArcher posted:

My iMac 2015 5k is an amazing machine that could probably last ten years...

But it has a fusion drive so when gen 2 of the new iMacs come out I’ll upgrade for that alone.

Work gave me one of these with a fusion drive and it’s the worst Apple experience I’ve ever had. It’s slower than my 2012 MBP. Whoever allowed them to be put out without SSDs as standard deserves to be shot into the sun. I’m getting work to buy me an external SSD to boot from because it’s costing me hours a week waiting for boot and apps to launch.

bus hustler
Mar 14, 2019

Ha Ha Ha... YES!
I never understood that, Apple has never been above cutting technology loose when it muddies the entire product line. I don't know why apple didn't go 100% SSD years ago - and I don't believe it has anything to do with moving more units downline.

Like for real HDDs as boot drives needed to go LONG before the loving USB ports.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Actually I just checked and it doesn't even appear to be a fusion drive, I think it's pure HDD :negative:

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

bus hustler posted:

I never understood that, Apple has never been above cutting technology loose when it muddies the entire product line. I don't know why apple didn't go 100% SSD years ago - and I don't believe it has anything to do with moving more units downline.

Like for real HDDs as boot drives needed to go LONG before the loving USB ports.

People that buy iMacs need large amounts of storage and aren’t willing to pay Apple prices for 1/2TB SSD

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Rollie Fingers posted:

Anyone using the Mac Mini M1 8gb version yet?

The base Mini is seriously tempting me but I'm concerned about the lack of ram. I'd use it as a second computer for internet browsing, streaming and light video editing. All the reliable journalists seem to have reviewed the 16gb version.
I feel like I've seen reviews with the 8GB one, and iirc they were fine for video editing too. I think there was a difference with more complex stuff which I figure would be beyond "light" video editing.

FCKGW posted:

You couldn't get >16gb on the Intel laptops the M1 replaced either :ssh:
But you can get 64GB on the Intel Mac mini :eng101: (...course they didn't fully replace it)

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

japtor posted:

I feel like I've seen reviews with the 8GB one, and iirc they were fine for video editing too. I think there was a difference with more complex stuff which I figure would be beyond "light" video editing.

But you can get 64GB on the Intel Mac mini :eng101: (...course they didn't fully replace it)

the difference was like 8k vs 4k tho iirc

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Bob Morales posted:

People that buy iMacs need large amounts of storage and aren’t willing to pay Apple prices for 1/2TB SSD

I’m sure you know but you’d be so much better off just buying one with a smaller internal SSD and then getting a big thunderbolt hard drive. Probably works out cheaper. Like if you’re getting an iMac, presumably portability isn’t that much of a concern

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Quantum of Phallus posted:

I’m sure you know but you’d be so much better off just buying one with a smaller internal SSD and then getting a big thunderbolt hard drive. Probably works out cheaper. Like if you’re getting an iMac, presumably portability isn’t that much of a concern

in that vein you can even get tiny (physically) thunderbolt 3 ssds for like a couple hundred bucks $CAD

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

No Thunderbolt 3 on the 2015 iMacs :(

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

I mean, realistically if you need a ton of internal space like that then you should be setting up a NAS so that your data is significantly more secure.

bus hustler
Mar 14, 2019

Ha Ha Ha... YES!

Nitrousoxide posted:

I mean, realistically if you need a ton of internal space like that then you should be setting up a NAS so that your data is significantly more secure.

reminded of the senior researcher who DID have a 2 bay RAID nas for backup but neglected to tell anyone when one failed... and only reached out when the second failed....

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

No Thunderbolt 3 on the 2015 iMacs :(

might be able to get thunderbolt 2 for cheap.

for that matter USB 3 external drives are pretty speedy anyway

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

mediaphage posted:

might be able to get thunderbolt 2 for cheap.

for that matter USB 3 external drives are pretty speedy anyway

Yeah I'm getting an external USB3 SSD to run the OS from!

bus hustler
Mar 14, 2019

Ha Ha Ha... YES!
https://www.amazon.com/CalDigit-TS3-Plus-Thunderbolt-Dock/dp/B07CZPV8DF

Amazon has this on sale today and it's the only good dock I've ever used.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Wow, I got it from Apple when they lowered it to $249.. make sure it's running the latest firmware or it'll only do 61W to the power port.

Wonder which Apple power supply will come with the next M1 MacBook Pro..

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
What should a 2018 Mac Mini with the i7, 32gb ram, and 256gb ssd sell for at this point.

I think it is M1 time.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

BlackMK4 posted:

What should a 2018 Mac Mini with the i7, 32gb ram, and 256gb ssd sell for at this point.

I think it is M1 time.

Recently sold on eBay is around $1000 -$1300
Subtract about 10-15% if selling locally

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_dc...%252E&LH_Sold=1

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Nice, that should cover a 16gb Mini. :)

Thanks