Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Barry the Sprout
Jan 12, 2001

nemesis_hub posted:

So as predicted the ending was rushed. Very strange pacing for this whole event. And I wish the last chapter had ended with a bit more of a tease of what comes after what seems like a huge development: the Arakko mutants will be moving to Krakoa if I understood correctly?

I kind of enjoyed the whole event, but yeah, the ending came off as rushed. Standard X-event then. To answer your point I was under the impression Apocalypse (or Annihilation) will be leading Arrako to Krakoa, but not immediately?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WaffleZombie
May 10, 2003

"Identity Crisis" Murderer Wild Guess #333:Prince "Lady Killer Charming "Well, I AM the Adversa"

I loved the original series and enjoyed the one-shot last year, so I'm really happy to hear that it's actually happening.

Adder Moray
Nov 18, 2010

Barry the Sprout posted:

I kind of enjoyed the whole event, but yeah, the ending came off as rushed. Standard X-event then. To answer your point I was under the impression Apocalypse (or Annihilation) will be leading Arrako to Krakoa, but not immediately?

Apocalypse, Genesis, and their children are going to Amenth. Arrako is going to Krakoa. Mutants on Arrako will also go to Krakoa (though I'm sure they could head off back to Amenth if they wanted, since they aren't a direct part of the exchange).

Barry the Sprout
Jan 12, 2001

Rushed I tell you, rushed!

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

Folks, I'm here to tell you that I only just realised that X of Swords is supposed to be pronounced "Ten of Swords" and not "Cross of Swords" as I originally thought.

That is all. Carry on!

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
There's only one cross-man I recognize, and that's Jesus

Fritzler
Sep 5, 2007

Am I supposed to read into the colors Isca turned? Or are they just supposed to be X-Men colors?

I liked a lot of moments of the event, but don't think I loved it all together. Interested to see how they fill in the two quiet council seats.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Loved the moment where Scott and Jean told the council to gently caress off while they went to be heroes.

Also that their strike force was every other mutant on Krakoa who could fight.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Codependent Poster posted:

Loved the moment where Scott and Jean told the council to gently caress off while they went to be heroes.

Also that their strike force was every other mutant on Krakoa who could fight.

With magneto and Xavier smiling. I can not wait for Shaw to eat poo poo

Flying Zamboni
May 7, 2007

but, uh... well, there it is

Hickman writes Cyclops really well.

Overall I liked this event. It was a lot of fun and I liked seeing an event centered around Apocalypse where he's actually one of the central protagonists.

There was uneven pacing throughout and I'm looking forward to things going back to individual stories for awhile but I liked the focus on the Otherworld stuff.

Looking forward to what happens next with Doug and his Large Wife.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

how will the crucible work now?? :thunk:

Adder Moray
Nov 18, 2010

Squizzle posted:

I'm sure there's no shortage of Arakki mutants prepared to beat other mutants to death. But no one is going to have their heart in the ceremony of it quite like Apocalypse. That speech is gonna feel real limp coming from anyone else.

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
I want to second the notion of wishing there was more of an epilogue. Cyclops was never a member of the council anyway, so are Jean and Apocalypse the only ones who actually left? I guess BritBrad and Rockslide are staying dead? The document stuff seems to indicate that that the formation of an X-Men team is a no-no, so are the Summerses and whoever end up on their team going to be non-state-sanctioned actors again? Will they move out of Krakoa and and onto the SWORD station?

and seriously why does anyone expect us to give a poo poo about Saturnyne

Adder Moray
Nov 18, 2010
I'd be interested in the X-Men functioning as Krakoa's Avengers. No government backing or resources, but not outlawed or clandestine. Focused on issues that aren't a matter of statecraft and only answerable to the council insofar as any citizen of Krakoa is.

Fritzler
Sep 5, 2007

OnimaruXLR posted:

I guess BritBrad and Rockslide are staying dead? The document stuff seems to indicate that that the formation of an X-Men team is a no-no, so are the Summerses and whoever end up on their team going to be non-state-sanctioned actors again?
On first note - in one of the infographics for Captain Britain Corps status Betsy was listed as "Unaccounted for". That could be dead, but not necessarily. I think Excalibur will search for her and bring her back at some point.

Second point - I feel like only Jean left. Cyclops is still great Captain. I think that captains have more leeway but less power so he is still OK. Sebastian will be trying to get his son into one of the two Quiet Council seats I'm sure, but I have no idea who will take Gorgon's captain role.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Adder Moray posted:

I'm sure there's no shortage of Arakki mutants prepared to beat other mutants to death. But no one is going to have their heart in the ceremony of it quite like Apocalypse. That speech is gonna feel real limp coming from anyone else.

tell isca that performance of the speech will be judged and ranked

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Jean and Apocalypse are off the council now. So they'll have to fill their spots.

Cyclops is still the Captain Commander but he's basically set himself up against the council. He has leeway to do whatever he wants in times of "war" which this was. But I think it's pretty telling that in his speech, and basically tons of the X-Men issues leading up to it, that he's not on board with a lot of what's going on with Krakoa.

And yeah, I think Betsy will be back in Excalibur in later issues.

Looking forward to seeing how Brand comes into the fold.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!
https://twitter.com/marvel/status/1331651857756905481?s=21

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Looks like we're gonna get some answers about Legion and the Shadow King. Scott and Jean leading the X-Men. Nimrod. And Maverick!

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
Is that Arcade?

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Note to self: This one's the good one

Remember when they were like "mutants cycle through all their costumes like they're normal outfits" and then Jean's worn the same old outfit the entire time

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Abroham Lincoln posted:

Remember when they were like "mutants cycle through all their costumes like they're normal outfits" and then Jean's worn the same old outfit the entire time

Probably just has to do with artist preference. Seems most like that one. Could also be easier to draw.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Abroham Lincoln posted:

She’s worn her X-Men: Red outfit in the Giant Size books.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Squizzle posted:

Boxing match with Sebastian Shaw

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Flying Zamboni posted:

Hickman writes Cyclops really well.

Hickman's been writing Scott and Jean as a couple better than probably anyone since Claremont. I remember during HoXPoX it seemed like he was writing Jean too immature and I don't know if that was a criticism he heard and adjusted to or just a one off thing, but it's definitely not an issue anymore, hasn't been since at least the Giant Size.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

And gently caress it, triple posting since they're all separate thoughts.

I don't understand why they were being coy about Douglock not actually needing to be the same person anymore at the start, there's like three separate instances people discovering Doug and Warlock are again two separate individuals and none of it actually mattered for anything.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Who is the guy with the eyepatch and claws?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Endless Mike posted:

Who is the guy with the eyepatch and claws?

Patch.

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

I am a loving mark for anything that ends with “To me, my X-men!”

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Old Kentucky Shark posted:

I am a loving mark for anything that ends with “To me, my X-men!”

This is one of those spoilers where there's no way to put a spoiler warning without spoiling it, but you should definitely read Spider-Man and the X-Men if you haven't.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
The actual climax of this whole shebang was pretty good, but I'll have to sit on it a while before I can really say I liked it. Even within the last issue there's a ton of elements that were like, does this really make sense when you think about it? Am I about to think more about whether this makes sense than the writers ever did?...and so forth.

Like it makes sense for there to be cracks in the Krakoan firmament and so forth, but to me those cracks should have formed more naturally, instead of from...I mean, there's really no way to put it other than "multiversal lollercoaster chaos."

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

BrianWilly posted:

The actual climax of this whole shebang was pretty good, but I'll have to sit on it a while before I can really say I liked it. Even within the last issue there's a ton of elements that were like, does this really make sense when you think about it? Am I about to think more about whether this makes sense than the writers ever did?...and so forth.

Like it makes sense for there to be cracks in the Krakoan firmament and so forth, but to me those cracks should have formed more naturally, instead of from...I mean, there's really no way to put it other than "multiversal lollercoaster chaos."

Multiversal lollercoaster chaos is baked into X-Men DNA as much as the X-gene.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

OnimaruXLR posted:

and seriously why does anyone expect us to give a poo poo about Saturnyne

Because OG Excalibur is still widely beloved and she was a big part of that.

Codependent Poster posted:

Looks like we're gonna get some answers about Legion and the Shadow King. Scott and Jean leading the X-Men. Nimrod. And Maverick!

I'm excited for more Maverick because I've always loved Maverick and there's no good goddamned reason for it (other than the art on his Jim Lee card was loving boss.)

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Jean's Marvel Girl costume has grown on me since HoxPox.

The only ones I really liked before have been Phoenix related though.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

The Marvel Girl costume looks amazing when Phil Noto draws it, especially the mask. I just love the way he draws, well, everything and everyone.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
I really liked the ones her and Scott wore at the very very end of their x factor run.

RhymesWithTendon
Oct 12, 2000

What would happen if Isca fought Squirrel Girl?

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Connellingus posted:

What would happen if Isca fought Squirrel Girl?

I assume they'd end up being friends and going out for dinner.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
yeah, not a big fan of "oh no, we are losing against these impossible odds" followed by rescue by an army of x-men and then two pages later they are back to "oh no, we are losing against these impossible odds". all that seemed to accomplish was maybe getting pyro killed again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

yeah, not a big fan of "oh no, we are losing against these impossible odds" followed by rescue by an army of x-men and then two pages later they are back to "oh no, we are losing against these impossible odds". all that seemed to accomplish was maybe getting pyro killed again.

Yeah it was pretty lame, especially because they kept up with the whole "so is Iscra like living confirmation bias, or what?" mystery, but overall it wasn't bad. It just felt rushed, like all of the last three weeks have.

Good stuff from Hickman, as has been said. Interesting developments. I still hate that they chumped Betsy because her arc has been one of my favorites and now we have to sit around with a question mark on her, but plot-wise I understood it.