Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

The Titanic posted:

Ah I see you had the traditional experience. :)

After doing everything, and ultimately some weird glitch or nuance or weirdness terminating your gameplay session... so you want to do it again?

It seems like for many that answer is "no". It's just not fun, the glitches aren't funny enough, the gameplay is super dull and very very convoluted.

It's one of those things where you can say "maybe everybody is wrong!" and go in to try it yourself (hopefully on a free fly thing, don't really buy anything), and give it a roll for like an hour.

For gameplay, the most damning part of it is you can see where they are aiming with it all kind of, but that direction is pure tedium and boring and empty and not remotely fun.

I'm not sure who the target audience may be anymore.

I'm looking forward to the character devastating "medical gameplay" loops to kick in so it also kicks all the role play people right in the face and people start to lose ships because they ran out of "lives" or something.

It seems like all of SC at its core is designed to hurt you, the player, just for wanting to play the game.

I actually shudder a little at the thought of playing it again, just those endless stretches of wandering through sterile broken corridors trying to find something to actually do

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Sunswipe posted:

Since the pandemic started, I've done absolutely no useful work towards making a space sim. Am I eligible for back pay from CIG?

Sorry but they are only hiring people who can guarantee -7% progress on the elevator control panels every month.

Peepers
Mar 11, 2005

Well, I'm a ghost. I scare people. It's all very important, I assure you.

I mean, I bet Turbulence could deliver a working ElevatorPanels.js in under 12 months.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Today's ad, down to 40 seconds

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hHN0KZ2k0u8

By the end of the event they'll just flash "buy an Idris" real quick.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

trucutru posted:

Today's ad, down to 40 seconds

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hHN0KZ2k0u8

By the end of the event they'll just flash "buy an Idris" real quick.

With how stupid everything related to Star Citizen is, I can't tell if the Cutlass Purple is legit when there's a loving news van.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
It's like, yeah, they ripped of Clarkson and then wrote script's that he would never, ever loving say
'you know, purple, like a party? glitterballs?'
Ahhhh classic Clarkson!

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
It's the most pointless piece of poo poo...

...in the 'verse

Mellow_
Sep 13, 2010

:frog:
They released a new video about the Mercury and it's development, and there is a portion about the server room that is just so loving BORING.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JnfdU2urcUw&t=129s

Seriously, who the gently caress would find this entertaining or worthwhile at all? Who the hell is this designed for?

God drat I have no idea why but this server room is making me unreasonably angry.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Mellow_ posted:

Seriously, who the gently caress would find this entertaining or worthwhile at all? Who the hell is this designed for?

All the citizens in the Youtube comments loving love it

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Mellow_ posted:

They released a new video about the Mercury and it's development, and there is a portion about the server room that is just so loving BORING.

God drat I have no idea why but this server room is making me unreasonably angry.

For me it's just the complete lack of thought put in.
Oh hey yeah we have a server room, can store 45 petabytes of data.
What data? Well, erm, that's erm, I mean I have all the expansions for the Sims so there's that, and then that excel file we had. Apart from that I mean you can swap out the hard drives, no, no one uses cloud storage in the future we need it all backed up here on this erm, small smuggler ship?

Flannelette
Jan 17, 2010

Oh you mean actually in the game data...
Made up data.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
Servers to store data, no other ship has data storage so even if they made it usable it would only be for that 1 ship. CIG loves to theory craft game systems like "servers" into new ship designs without any thought to how that would be balanced with any of the other thousand ships they made.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Wait, "when data running comes online"? Isn't that... Literally just the same as a cargo mission, except you don't have to model the cargo?

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Wait, "when data running comes online"? Isn't that... Literally just the same as a cargo mission, except you don't have to model the cargo?

Data will be on external hard drives / cassette tapes / in buckets because gently caress it why not.
No, the fact that you can talk to people remotely is not data transfer without the need for physical media.
Did you know the vandul are expert hackers and the only way to safely transport data is in big data buckets?

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
brb just plugging in this comically huge ethernet cable from my idris into that smuggler ship so I can :filez: the full season 2 of Stranger Things

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

peter gabriel posted:

Data will be on external hard drives / cassette tapes / in buckets because gently caress it why not.
No, the fact that you can talk to people remotely is not data transfer without the need for physical media.
Did you know the vandul are expert hackers and the only way to safely transport data is in big data buckets?

But it's even stupider than that, because if that were the case, it'd just be a normal cargo mission where you're running boxes of hard drives. This seems to suggest that transporting data needs a constantly powered functioning server, as if the data needed to consume energy to "stay alive" or something. Do they not know when you turn a computer off your stuff is still there? Is there only RAM memory in the future or something?

Also buying the ship that exclusively can smuggle data kinda... Makes it obvious you're smuggling data. I'd think you'd want to get like, an 890 and replace all the saunas and other pointless areas with servers instead.

Rotten Red Rod fucked around with this message at 22:40 on Nov 25, 2020

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Persistence is only tier 0, they're working on the ~tech~ to have it survive a power cycle.

This is never been done before stuff.

BDA
Dec 10, 2007

Extremely grim and evil.

downout posted:

Their outsourcing the development to the web devs.
The funniest part is that the web devs seem to be a lot better at it.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Rotten Red Rod posted:

But it's even stupider than that, because if that were the case, it'd just be a normal cargo mission where you're running boxes of hard drives. This seems to suggest that transporting data needs a constantly powered functioning server, as if the data needed to consume energy to "stay alive" or something. Do they not know when you turn a computer off your stuff is still there? Is there only RAM memory in the future or something?

Also buying the ship that exclusively can smuggle data kinda... Makes it obvious you're smuggling data. I'd think you'd want to get like, an 890 and replace all the saunas and other pointless areas with servers instead.

It may be quantum data which needs to be held in a positronic containment field*

*positronic containment field sold separately.

*LTI for the positronic containment field also sold separately.

The Super-Id
Nov 9, 2005

"You know it's what you really want."

Grimey Drawer
Quick, someone buy Chris Roberts a copy of Johnny Mnemonic.

Dr. Honked
Jan 9, 2011

eat it you slaaaaaaag
The data transfer systems of the far future will be the same as Amazon's from 2016

https://aws.amazon.com/snowmobile/

i.e a big truck full of hard drives

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Nice to know airhorns will still exist in 900 years time.

downout
Jul 6, 2009

MilesK posted:

https://promotions.newegg.com/nepro...0B5YWhvby5jb20=

INCLUDES:
Intel i9-8900x 400 core CPU
128GB RGB RAM
NVIDIA GTX 1280 Ti Ancestor Edition
Cherry MX power supply
Loudspeakers with tiny confetti cannons
GSync caps lock AND num lock
Dual fuel auxilary power supply
IUV-RGB (Infrared, UV spectrum & RGB) lighting

was: $29,999.00
$29,998.00
Save: $1.00
(0.00003%)
Free Shipping

Dr. Honked posted:

The data transfer systems of the far future will be the same as Amazon's from 2016

https://aws.amazon.com/snowmobile/

i.e a big truck full of hard drives

SANDWORM IS NOT A JOKE

L. Ron Hoover
Nov 9, 2009

Mellow_ posted:

"The break room is one of my favorites. You can play chess. I worked on that for quite a bit, but we got it there."

Looks like someone completed another Cryengine tutorial! Good to see the game progressing well.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Rotten Red Rod posted:

There will be one planet you can smuggle data off because of course there will, and it will be called 'Infoworld'

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer

peter gabriel posted:

There will be one planet you can smuggle data off because of course there will, and it will be called 'Infoworld'

I can't wait for next year's IAE on Infoworld in which we explore the diverse biome of servers farms on our way to a windowless convention center to stare at static ship models.

Dooguk
Oct 11, 2016

Pillbug
Infoworld will look like Tron.

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

Rotten Red Rod posted:

I was gonna do another stream of playing the SC free fly where I try to fly a ship... But I don't really want to. Can someone post an uninstall guide so I can be sure I get every trace of it off my system?

Echoing this. I’ve seen enough. How do I get rid of this poo poo?

Jonny Shiloh
Mar 7, 2019
You 'orrible little man

Dooguk posted:

Infoworld will look like Tron.

But! there'll be a grimy underworld called Haxxorworld where you can buy hacked data off Biggs MacTuffin, a notorious hacker who is a thorn in the UEE's side and has l33t hacking skills and is handsome and popular with all the ladies and nobody laughs at him for being 22 stone and wearing a fedora and still living with his mum and I'll get my own back on everyone who laughed at me at school when I'm a big shot in the 'Verse and and and and and

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
What a deal!

quote:

Tip: Get an LTI MSR for $200 (or $185 store credit and $15 fresh cash). Worth $260 CCU value.
Discussion
Today at 15:05
Instead of buying an MSR for $225 with fresh cash or $260 store credit do as follows:

Buy an Origin 315P
$65

Buy a CCU Origin 315P to Nomad Warbond
$5 (must be fresh cash)

Buy a CCU Nomad to Hurricane:
$115

Buy a CCU Hurricane to Corsair
$5 (must be fresh cash)

Buy a CCU Corsair to Ares Inferno
$5

Buy a CCU Ares Inferno to Mercury Star runner
$5 (must be fresh cash)

65+5+115+5+5+5 = $200

You can skip some of the steps if you are doing fresh cash only. The above sequence is to minimize fresh cash for anyone wanting to use the maximum store credits.

It gets even better if you plan on buying a ship that is more expensive than $260.

Want a Sentinel?

Buy a CCU Mercury Star runner to Sentinel
$15
Price of LTI Sentinel $215

Or a Caterpillar?

Buy a CCU Mercury Star runner to Caterpillar
$35
Price of LTI Caterpillar $235

If you already have ships with a value of more than $260, you should check if it makes sense to melt them and rebuy them using the above method. For only $15 invested, it may release $60 credits you can use to buy other ships.

Veterans will already all know this. Posting this for everyone that is not a regular player of "Hangar Citizen".

watch out! here comes the fun police!

trucutru fucked around with this message at 23:27 on Nov 25, 2020

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Thanks for the tips!

Yeah, with those $5 Warbond CCUs CIG really opened up a lot of possibilities and as I understand it the highest level of insurance always stays with the ship right? So putting a 120mo $5 CCU on a ship/pack that already has LTI will retain the LTI.

Currently I've picked up a $5 Hurricane-to-Corsair Warbond CCU as I still have an original $175 Hurricane LTI in my BuyBack. So that would allow me to get a Corsair for only $180. I also bought a $5 Kore-to-Nomad Warbond CCU as I still had an original $50 Reliant Kore in my buyback and can now turn it into a Nomad for only $55. Then I even picked up that Nomad LTI Warbond gamepack that came with that black Nomad Jackal skin for free but I changed the ship itself to a Cutlass Black. I always wanted a Cutlass at some point because it reminded me of the Razorcrest; but then I saw a leaked image of the IAE Ship Showdown skins. So I pulled the trigger on a Cutlass because I love that white+black w. gold accents paintjob.

So now I have a Nomad LTI for $55 (and free Jackal paintjob), a Corsair LTI for $180 (once I unmelt my Hurricane), and a Cutlass Black LTI for ~$90 (that one came with a SC gamepack but hopefully I can turn that into a custom NPC someday).

Lastly I also grabbed a $5 Terrapin-to-Mercury Warbond CCU. Not sure what I'm going to do with it yet but I still have some original $195 Terrapins with LTI in my BuyBack (both standalone and as part of UEE Exploration packs) so I figured I might as well give me the CCU as an option in case I ever need a nice $40 discount on a ship that's over $260.

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

trucutru posted:

quote:

If you already have ships with a value of more than $260, you should check if it makes sense to melt them and rebuy them using the above method.
I've checked, and none of this makes sense.

BitBasher
Jun 6, 2004

You've got to know the rules before you can break 'em. Otherwise, it's no fun.

Popete posted:

Servers to store data, no other ship has data storage so even if they made it usable it would only be for that 1 ship. CIG loves to theory craft game systems like "servers" into new ship designs without any thought to how that would be balanced with any of the other thousand ships they made.

I'm only very loosely following this, but did they actually say servers? Not like Space NAS or Space Storage array? Why is there any kind of a need for a server at all? Is the ship going it's own large scale Space Hosting or intense Space Database work as it flies through space?

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

downout posted:

I didn't actually see an answer to this in among all the fidelitious dunking. It's a digital marketing agency that does cig's website. Their outsourcing the development to the web devs.

They also do all of CIG's animated ads! So really they're perfect for further SC development

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

Data running has actually been planned for quite some time! It still doesn't make any sense.

Some Q&A posted:

Can you give us a gameplay example of legal data collection vs illegal collection, ideally including both PvE & PvP scenarios?

An example of legal data collection in PvE would be a mission along the lines of scanning a certain location for information, such as asteroid composition/density. Alternatively, you may recieve a mission to find specific player owned ships & their locations, which will need to be reported back the mission giver. Illegal data collection would be something more along the lines of intercepting sensitive information between two ships for PvE or intercepting and beating another player to delivery on an existing data running mission.

So yeah the devs basically don't have any idea either outside of more go-here-pick-up-box missions, and nobody really knows why you would need a whole server rack to store any of this. There is already a "Data runner" ship in the game though, the Drake Herald- that is the one that you don't remember because it is literally just a giant engine and a cockpit but somehow it goes slower than the capital ships when warping through space, so nobody has even taken a screenshot of it in years. Extremely fidelitous.

Flannelette
Jan 17, 2010

45 petabytes of shoelaces.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Sarsapariller posted:

Data running has actually been planned for quite some time! It still doesn't make any sense.

So yeah the devs basically don't have any idea either outside of more go-here-pick-up-box missions, and nobody really knows why you would need a whole server rack to store any of this. There is already a "Data runner" ship in the game though, the Drake Herald- that is the one that you don't remember because it is literally just a giant engine and a cockpit but somehow it goes slower than the capital ships when warping through space, so nobody has even taken a screenshot of it in years. Extremely fidelitous.

Prettiest ship in the 'verse!

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Flannelette posted:

45 petabytes of clownshoelaces.

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao

tuo posted:

Persistance is in!

Gameplay is irrelevant