Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
A few people have suggested it. Thing is, we pay a kings ransom for a police service that's supposed to do things like investigate criminal activity for us.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

I've been reading some old bike catalogs lately and one really cool thing is seeing the Ultra-Light Schwinn Traveler, new for 1981, at 32 lbs.

Good lord, our parents must have been gods to drive 32 lb bikes around for any significant amount of time.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

EvilJoven posted:

A few people have suggested it. Thing is, we pay a kings ransom for a police service that's supposed to do things like investigate criminal activity for us.

Meet me in cspam I will tell you why you pay them.

Wolfy
Jul 13, 2009

EvilJoven posted:

Thing is, we pay a kings ransom for a police service that's supposed to do things like investigate criminal activity for us.
Anyone gonna tell him?

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
Ya ya I know allllll about it. Especially the fact that this stretch of highway being under RCMP jurisdiction means that any investigation is probably going to lead them to either equipping a mass shooter, spoon feeding a pair of stoners a terrorist plot and then arresting them, or more likely just straight up murdering an indigenous person.

But I try to keep politics out of biek chat.

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

I've been reading some old bike catalogs lately and one really cool thing is seeing the Ultra-Light Schwinn Traveler, new for 1981, at 32 lbs.

Good lord, our parents must have been gods to drive 32 lb bikes around for any significant amount of time.

Tons of winter/commuter bikes weigh that or more

Post some neat pictures from it

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

i got chirped at by a cop today for running a stop sign. Didnt look back.

It's fine since I already have the money set aside for the ticket that's going to come eventually. :D

gamera009
Apr 7, 2005

I bought a lefty topstone and feel immediate regret. :smith:

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

Chinatown posted:

i got chirped at by a cop today for running a stop sign. Didnt look back.

It's fine since I already have the money set aside for the ticket that's going to come eventually. :D
while riding a bike you can do whatever you want to do as long as you arnt getting in the way of other people

its kinda zen

the traffic infrastructure cheat moves you can pull off on a bike would get you arrested in a motor vehicle

but on a bike its ok :cool:

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

Chinatown posted:

Took the steel single to get a sandwich and find a nice spot to eat it and ended up doing 43 miles across the city and back. :blastu:
did you know that 43 miles works out to 69 kilometers :grin:

Hawkline
May 30, 2002

¡La Raza!

gamera009 posted:

What's bad about it?

Apr 7, 2003

HAIL eSATA-n posted:

I fuckin murdered myself to get to 20-22 lbs for the bikes my wife and I ride

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

im going to run my veloflex roubaix tubulars all winter and ill let you know how that turns out

im not that worried about the tires, they seem very similar to the vittoria paves, im more worried about the braking surface

its that first grab of wet carbon that does nothing at 50 kph into a braking point that really gets my heart going

any way,

yolo

signed black prince

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

numberoneposter posted:

im going to run my veloflex roubaix tubulars all winter and ill let you know how that turns out

im not that worried about the tires, they seem very similar to the vittoria paves, im more worried about the braking surface

its that first grab of wet carbon that does nothing at 50 kph into a braking point that really gets my heart going

any way,

yolo

signed black prince

Although you might not stop, the honking sound of carbon rim brakes will definitely wake you up as you careen into Kimberly’s minivan. A life well lived.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

numberoneposter posted:

No one respects machined brake tracks until their first emergency big grab.

Apr 7, 2003

HAIL eSATA-n posted:

https://bikehistory.org/bikes/traveler/

Apr 7, 2003

That kid's happy as gently caress about bike

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

One of us

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.

It's not a issue if you're over 200lbs to begin with :-)

... and yes we were.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

I’m pretty confident my kona weighs more than 32lbs

Apr 7, 2003

My Contend AR is like 21 lbs and it's considered heavy

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

:ok:

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

gamera009 posted:

Return it; only the strong deserve cannondale builds.

Apr 7, 2003

More like Cannonfail

hobbez
Mar 1, 2012

Don't care. Just do not care. We win, you lose. You do though, you seem to care very much

I'm going to go ride my mountain bike, later nerds.
Anyone recommend any wireless displays + cadence sensors that I can slap onto my girlfriends old spin bike? We bought an older one used and she said it would help her out a lot if there was a displayable cadence.

There are a number of options online but it's hard to tell which aren't going to be poo poo.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

I need to know if my rim wear is normal or if I'm doing something wrong!

I never wore through a rim with braking before, not even when I had lovely $30 wheels that busted spokes all the time while I carried groceries. But then I got a job that was 8 very hilly miles away, and even with some nice (Mavic A719) wheels, I find myself wearing through the braking surface in about 1.5-2 years (to the point that I actually blew a rim!). This is very frustrating as when I bought the nice wheels I was amazed at how they never, ever went out of true and figured I would never have to buy another wheel again and that it was very worth the, what was it, $150 or so per wheel :signings: but after blowing a rim and replacing those wheels, the rims on the new set are getting pretty worn again and I'm hurting about soon having to replace them, again

Anyway I'm trying to figure out of this rate of rim wear is normal or if I did something weird or wrong.

Conditions that might contribute to fast rim wear:
16 (8x2) mile commute that includes some very long downhills with a lot of braking
I do (or did) that year round so it's about 4k miles per year, so I'd estimate I wore through my rims in about 6k miles
Carrying cargo some of the time
Wintery place with salt on the roads about 4-5 months out of the year

I changed my brake pads pretty regularly, u no i'm rockin the kool stop salmon :coolspot:

Are those factors enough to wear through rims in 6k miles or is that still crazy fast?

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!
That seems fast but also all of those things will accelerate rim wear

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

alnilam posted:

I need to know if my rim wear is normal or if I'm doing

You get a lot of grit? How often were you replacing pads in the winter? 6k on a set of wheels in those conditions sounds pretty decent.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

kimbo305 posted:

You get a lot of grit? How often were you replacing pads in the winter? 6k on a set of wheels in those conditions sounds pretty decent.

Yeah a fuckload of grit in the winter and spring for sure. Not sure how that can be avoided on Pittsburgh streets. Good news is I have moved to the PNW where it may rain a ton but at least it does not get super cold and icy, so hopefully that won't be as much as an issue in the future.

I replaced pads about monthly... that's about 500 miles I guess, perhaps not often enough but it felt like a lot of changes!

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

alnilam posted:

Yeah a fuckload of grit in the winter and spring for sure. Not sure how that can be avoided on Pittsburgh streets.

I replaced pads about monthly...

Yeah, I think the winters did you in. Sometimes I spray my pads with the water bottle to try to knock some of the grit off.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Makes sense. It's good to know at least, I don't really know how long rims usually last. Hopefully I will be able to do better in the PNW.

Any recommendations for good 700 mm touring wheels that can hold up to a fair amount of cargo (groceries, toddler) but are cheaper than the Mavic A719s?

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

alnilam posted:

Makes sense. It's good to know at least, I don't really know how long rims usually last. Hopefully I will be able to do better in the PNW.

Any recommendations for good 700 mm touring wheels that can hold up to a fair amount of cargo (groceries, toddler) but are cheaper than the Mavic A719s?

If you just replace the rims, you're going to save like $20 per rim to get something entry level and rubbish (going by prices here, where the A719s are £50 per rim and it's difficult to find rims below about £30)

Apr 7, 2003

alnilam posted:

I need to know if my rim wear is normal or if I'm doing something wrong!

I never wore through a rim with braking before, not even when I had lovely $30 wheels that busted spokes all the time while I carried groceries. But then I got a job that was 8 very hilly miles away, and even with some nice (Mavic A719) wheels, I find myself wearing through the braking surface in about 1.5-2 years (to the point that I actually blew a rim!). This is very frustrating as when I bought the nice wheels I was amazed at how they never, ever went out of true and figured I would never have to buy another wheel again and that it was very worth the, what was it, $150 or so per wheel :signings: but after blowing a rim and replacing those wheels, the rims on the new set are getting pretty worn again and I'm hurting about soon having to replace them, again

Anyway I'm trying to figure out of this rate of rim wear is normal or if I did something weird or wrong.

Conditions that might contribute to fast rim wear:
16 (8x2) mile commute that includes some very long downhills with a lot of braking
I do (or did) that year round so it's about 4k miles per year, so I'd estimate I wore through my rims in about 6k miles
Carrying cargo some of the time

I changed my brake pads pretty regularly, u no i'm rockin the kool stop salmon :coolspot:

Are those factors enough to wear through rims in 6k miles or is that still crazy fast?

I used to make fun of disc brakes but not wearing through your extremely expensive rims sounds like a win

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

I used to make fun of disc brakes but not wearing through your extremely expensive rims sounds like a win
outside of carbon even the most expensive rim is only like $150

and ive put 10,000 km on my belgium plus wheelset and i could probably put at least another 10,000 km on them before getting concerned about the front rim being unsafe

i actually wore through a front velocity deep v once, but that wheelset had like uhhhh 30,000 km on it or something insane. in the middle of the night the kinda edge of the rim tore itself from the rest of the rim, popped the tire.

numberoneposter fucked around with this message at 23:59 on Nov 25, 2020

gamera009
Apr 7, 2005

Hawkline posted:

What's bad about it?

No garish color combinations.

All they have is black and grey.

I wish they had gulf colorway.

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

alnilam posted:

I don't want to discourage you, but roughly 8-10k miles was about the most I ever got out of rims on my commuter bike here in Seattle.
Even though the cost isn't a big deal, it was annoying enough that when I was buying a new commuter bike, disc brakes were mandatory.
The only way you won't chew through rims is if you don't ride much, live somewhere it doesn't rain, or don't have hills.

As to your other question: Mavic A719s are about as cheap as I would consider going. Personally I dislike Mavic wheels quite a bit, but if they're working for you, they're a good value. I think DT's offerings are superior, but it's splitting hairs at that pricepoint.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

While rim brakes are perfectly fine, in the year 2020 there's no reason to not get disc brakes for most people. If your bike sees wet and grit at all there's no discussion, discs are better.

Plus my engineer heart just can't stand having rims be wear items when discs exist.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Yeah i always avoided disc brakes cause it's the only think i don't know how to install or work on (... yet :madmax:) but i kinda regret it now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Apr 7, 2003

numberoneposter posted:

outside of carbon even the most expensive rim is only like $150

and ive put 10,000 km on my belgium plus wheelset and i could probably put at least another 10,000 km on them before getting concerned about the front rim being unsafe

i actually wore through a front velocity deep v once, but that wheelset had like uhhhh 30,000 km on it or something insane. in the middle of the night the kinda edge of the rim tore itself from the rest of the rim, popped the tire.

dang

alnilam posted:

Yeah i always avoided disc brakes cause it's the only think i don't know how to install or work on (... yet :madmax:) but i kinda regret it now.

I was worried about this too, once I figured out that I could fold a piece of cardboard and stick it in the caliper when I took the wheel off it wasn't such a big deal