Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer
OK, to be fair, I almost never run into this issue because if I'm preparing for invasion of enemy planets, I tend to insanely over-prepare. Also I'm at my most war-like when playing robots, when I can just build titans and drop them WH40K-style on my enemies.

When playing heavily modded games and having event armies run rampant on my own planets however, oh boy do I gently caress up constantly. But as all my planets are nearby, I also don't have to wait long for reinforcements to arrive.

Just consider me that guy who sends 100 armies when 10 would be fine, and 10 titans when 2 would be plenty. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Relevant Tangent posted:

You're committing an atrocity though, a malus is appropriate. If the game had better diplomacy the first time you glassed a planet you'd get ejected from the galactic community and treated like a devouring swarm in terms of diplomatic options.

You'd be surprised how many atrocities you can get away with when you're big and strong.

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

Poil posted:

I fail to see how that is a bad thing. No penalty to habitably, no penalty to naval capacity, no penalty to ship upkeep and if it matters no penalty to army upkeep.

I like the galactic community, making it so it makes more decisions changes the game significantly.

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

prefect posted:

You'd be surprised how many atrocities you can get away with when you're big and strong.

It would genuinely make more sense to treat anyone who glasses a planet like the Crisis and end all wars, open all borders, prevent rivaling anyone but them until they were safely contained or the entire galaxy was theirs.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Libluini posted:

If that is true, why aren't you just playing a devouring swarm or fanatical purifier in the first place?

Besides, the community also gives out bonuses if you play your cards right, seems like you really would like the game more if you'd just give up on pretending to be a normal species and just embraced your inner Tyrannid. :v:
I don't want to play as fanatic xenophobic, only being able to genocide isn't fun at all. And the swarms&robutts are too powerful so they're boring.

If I play my cards right? That's not true. If over 90% of all votes always go to grab the habitability and ship upkeep penalties as quickly as they can there isn't anything I can do about it.

Relevant Tangent posted:

I like the galactic community, making it so it makes more decisions changes the game significantly.
Ehhh.... The idea is decent sure. But the decisions are always the same ones that play out the same way. They only change is joining or not joining.

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

You can make the decisions different by proposing different things? Making killing Tiyanki a CB is different. It sounds like you've had bad luck if you're encountering the same galactic community game after game.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Maybe. But it doesn't matter what I propose. If it's not the same economic and military ones the AI loves it gets pushed down below those and takes forever to even get to a vote and most likely fails anyway. :sigh:

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

So increase your diplomatic prowess and go to war with people who you have policy disagreements with. Humbling them decreases their diplomatic score. The galactic community should be different every game ime.

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Is it I that is insane... or the rest of the world?
Also I've found it pretty easy to just outpace AI enough every game to force stuff through. Or just lean into the mil/eco stuff that gives me more bonuses than the others to widen my lead.

Jabarto
Apr 7, 2007

I could do with your...assistance.

Relevant Tangent posted:

So increase your diplomatic prowess and go to war with people who you have policy disagreements with. Humbling them decreases their diplomatic score. The galactic community should be different every game ime.

I do this quite successfully in my games, but I do have to agree with Poil that I shouldn't have to predicate my entire game plan on prying every single AI vote from the same two policies that they always push every chance they get, every single game.

Like, I have NEVER seen the charter of workers' rights come up unless I was the one proposing it.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

This is why you either plan to go all I AM THE SENATE or tell the space un to piss off.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer
I just send tons of envoys and trade for favors to manipulate the gently caress out of the senate.

I also like pushing for everything that sounds nice but gives penalties (like recycling or honoring veterans) just to spite warmongers. (After all, I'm The Player, so I can deal with some penalties. Bonus points if you send envoys to the space nations you're torturing so they still love you for it.)

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

Wars just take so long to resolve it gets so boring. Like I was fighting a defensive war I was dragged into by an ally. We defeated every single fleet, occupied every single system, occupied most planets, and the AI still wouldn't capitulate their own stupid aggressive war. I held both their capitols! I then went around glassing their remaining planets and when the last colony exploded they finally accepted peace.

Limited wars need to be the norm especially between big empires. Stellaris has so many great systems to try to support that but its almost always total war.

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

FuzzySlippers posted:

Wars just take so long to resolve it gets so boring. Like I was fighting a defensive war I was dragged into by an ally. We defeated every single fleet, occupied every single system, occupied most planets, and the AI still wouldn't capitulate their own stupid aggressive war. I held both their capitols! I then went around glassing their remaining planets and when the last colony exploded they finally accepted peace.

Limited wars need to be the norm especially between big empires. Stellaris has so many great systems to try to support that but its almost always total war.

Use the console to force a faction to surrender a war you've clearly already won, otherwise winning outright requires conquering all of their starbases and invading all of their worlds. Alternatively go for a status quo peace instead of forcing a surrender - you can pick up a lot from just status quo too.

Electro-Boogie Jack
Nov 22, 2006
bagger mcguirk sent me.

FuzzySlippers posted:

We defeated every single fleet, occupied every single system, occupied most planets, and the AI still wouldn't capitulate their own stupid aggressive war. I held both their capitols!

It's cases like this that make the rough edges of the casus belli and war system show. Once you've done that you've gone way beyond the point of being able to dictate the terms of the peace; who's even around to say otherwise, and why would you care?!

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.
If Stellaris modeled World War 2, it wouldn't let the US declare victory over Japan until Hiroo Onoda turned in his sword in 1974.

Electro-Boogie Jack
Nov 22, 2006
bagger mcguirk sent me.

Kaal posted:

If Stellaris modeled World War 2, it wouldn't let the US declare victory over Japan until Hiroo Onoda turned in his sword in 1974.

And if at some point the US said "okay gently caress it I have no idea where this guy is, whatever" then the Empire of Japan would be restored and given all previous constituent territories.

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

Jabarto posted:

I do this quite successfully in my games, but I do have to agree with Poil that I shouldn't have to predicate my entire game plan on prying every single AI vote from the same two policies that they always push every chance they get, every single game.

Like, I have NEVER seen the charter of workers' rights come up unless I was the one proposing it.

If you have egalitarian empires it will.

Electro-Boogie Jack posted:

And if at some point the US said "okay gently caress it I have no idea where this guy is, whatever" then the Empire of Japan would be restored and given all previous constituent territories.

This would be a hilarious addition to wars.

Relevant Tangent fucked around with this message at 06:11 on Nov 25, 2020

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

I didn't know you could use the console to force a surrender. I'll definitely do that in the future. Since I was the junior partner I couldn't negotiate peace but I assumed the AI would've once the enemy acceptance thing turned green (which apparently took me mostly genociding them).

I do have to be careful not going too nuts with the console. The last time I got burnout on Stellaris it was because I was using the console to constantly fix my annoyances and I was barely playing the game properly so it felt weird.

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

Relevant Tangent posted:

You're committing an atrocity though, a malus is appropriate. If the game had better diplomacy the first time you glassed a planet you'd get ejected from the galactic community and treated like a devouring swarm in terms of diplomatic options.

Yes, that's a really good mechanic. For a space diplomacy game, which I don't consider Stellaris to be.

Typical 4X: "Yeah of course conquer that planet however you want it's a videogame about conquering"
Stellaris: "YOU ARE COMMITTING ATROCITIES (that we coded in so you could commit them, and we could wag our finger at you, lol)"

Like if there was a space diplomacy game this whole thing of like space refugees and space atrocities and space multiculturalism seems like it would be excellent for that. The Democracy series but in a space setting or whatever. For Stellaris, I never felt the atrocity stuff enhanced the gameplay of this 4x videogame.

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

On my Necroid run, I'm getting warnings that I'm running low on subjects to convert. Are there any negative effects for having a Chamber of Elevation and no viable pops on a planet?

Phosphine
May 30, 2011

WHY, JUDY?! WHY?!
🤰🐰🆚🥪🦊

bitterandtwisted posted:

On my Necroid run, I'm getting warnings that I'm running low on subjects to convert. Are there any negative effects for having a Chamber of Elevation and no viable pops on a planet?

There's no specific malus, but it's wasted jobs, wasted building slot and your necro species is probably worse at the menial jobs than your food is, so it's definitely a bad thing

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Phosphine posted:

There's no specific malus, but it's wasted jobs, wasted building slot and your necro species is probably worse at the menial jobs than your food is, so it's definitely a bad thing

I thought someone did the math and the lower upkeep you pay for necro pops makes them better even with a 10% malus.

Phosphine
May 30, 2011

WHY, JUDY?! WHY?!
🤰🐰🆚🥪🦊

Eimi posted:

I thought someone did the math and the lower upkeep you pay for necro pops makes them better even with a 10% malus.

Ah, well, still the other two, and of course MY IMMERSION

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Phosphine posted:

Ah, well, still the other two, and of course MY IMMERSION

I mean you still get 5 stability from the building :v: and just make sure your secondary species has rapid breeders and it'll be fine unless they're all wiped out.

also yes I would love a more specifically vampire necroid origin/whatever, where you were more incentivized to balance out your living and undead pops. You know if the game also had some automation to do it so it wouldn't convert past a certain % or whatever.

Phosphine
May 30, 2011

WHY, JUDY?! WHY?!
🤰🐰🆚🥪🦊

Eimi posted:

I mean you still get 5 stability from the building :v: and just make sure your secondary species has rapid breeders and it'll be fine unless they're all wiped out.

also yes I would love a more specifically vampire necroid origin/whatever, where you were more incentivized to balance out your living and undead pops. You know if the game also had some automation to do it so it wouldn't convert past a certain % or whatever.

You'd kind of want some sort of reverse slavery, where the ruling class isn't allowed to take menial jobs. Then deporioritize the acolytes so they're only filled if the other worker jobs are taken

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Phosphine posted:

You'd kind of want some sort of reverse slavery, where the ruling class isn't allowed to take menial jobs. Then deporioritize the acolytes so they're only filled if the other worker jobs are taken

Yeah that sounds like how I'd want it to work. I do like the notion of wanting to really care for your secondary pop and currently for necroids it doesn't matter at all.

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

Ham Sandwiches posted:

Yes, that's a really good mechanic. For a space diplomacy game, which I don't consider Stellaris to be.

Typical 4X: "Yeah of course conquer that planet however you want it's a videogame about conquering"
Stellaris: "YOU ARE COMMITTING ATROCITIES (that we coded in so you could commit them, and we could wag our finger at you, lol)"

Like if there was a space diplomacy game this whole thing of like space refugees and space atrocities and space multiculturalism seems like it would be excellent for that. The Democracy series but in a space setting or whatever. For Stellaris, I never felt the atrocity stuff enhanced the gameplay of this 4x videogame.

You can consider Stellaris whatever you want but ignoring all the options they give you to do various things and have those actions have repercussions to try to make it a worse version of Age of Empires II or whatever seems dumb to me.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
Some of the DLC is 50% off right now so I grabbed a couple of items with decent reviews.

Baron Fuzzlewhack
Sep 22, 2010

ALIVE ENOUGH TO DIE
I think I know this answer to this, but: if I have three species, each with one of energy/minerals/food +5% or whatever, is the game smart enough to have those folks work the appropriate jobs for their bonuses? Or am I better off resettling, etc. to resource-specific worlds to maximize their efficiency?

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Baron Fuzzlewhack posted:

I think I know this answer to this, but: if I have three species, each with one of energy/minerals/food +5% or whatever, is the game smart enough to have those folks work the appropriate jobs for their bonuses? Or am I better off resettling, etc. to resource-specific worlds to maximize their efficiency?

They will randomly grow on all your planets and SHOULD be weighted to fill the optimal jobs. But if you have specialized planets, like say a planet that's entirely mines, you'll still end up with the planet being only 1/3 populated by mine-guys with the rest of the mining jobs filled with other generic aliens. Have a random weak species with a mining penalty? Yeah, enjoy them working your mines. The same sort of happens with robots too. You think it would be neat to make a few lines of robots to fill various specialties and you can at least order your planets to produce specific models, but unless you micro the hell out of your robot production on every planet you'll end up with drill-bot entertainers and poo poo.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

species traits that give specific production bonuses are a relic of tiles and no attempt has been made to make them work in the jobs system. theoretically the jobs system will attempt to assign the best pops for each job, but due to pop promotion/demotion and what seems like some bugged math, it just Doesn't Work.

there is no real way to leverage the benefits of a multi-species empire. this is maybe better than tiles, where there was no sane way to leverage those benefits but extreme gene-mod/resettlement micro allowed you to do so, but it still sucks and it's something that is unfixable with mods

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
What was wrong with tiles, both from the official perspective and in hindsight as a player? I only played one or two games at launch and I can't remember anything in particular about tiles, all of my memories are of bugs/logic holes/hyperspace woes.

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

I hosed up my game settings. I lowered all the mid/crisis/end dates to make a quicker game but I forgot to change the tech advance rate. The contingency is gonna easily conquer the whole map.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Serephina posted:

What was wrong with tiles, both from the official perspective and in hindsight as a player? I only played one or two games at launch and I can't remember anything in particular about tiles, all of my memories are of bugs/logic holes/hyperspace woes.
I honestly dont quite remember but I think a big part of it was that planets got "full" which was weird in that it technically meant that babies stopped being born on that planet because :reasons: and thus it also encouraged micro of moving one pop off onto other planets. Then there was the whole mashing yellow triangles to upgrade things when there was no decisionmaking in doing so because it was a linear upgrade path.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Serephina posted:

honestly? nothing was wrong with tiles. or, rather, the problems were just traded out for a different set of problems with the jobs system.

the tiles system as it existed was boring due to a lack of variety in buildings and no depth to the economy. i might honestly prefer a stellaris with tiles and the alloy/consumer good/rare resource economy we have now though. maybe keep the concept of building districts for additional housing and basic resource collection, which spawn resources on a tile for you to collect.

stellaris-style pops with the job system are in this weird uncanny valley between tiles and victoria 2 pops. it rarely feels like pops have meaningful demographic information attached to them aside from species and ethos, there is none of the push-pull v2 pop management of things like education and political consciousness, and changes to the economy rarely impact pops directly; there is nothing analogous to the industrial transition from artisans to factory workers to drive conflict within your empire. they're just workers who make you stuff and some of them are inevitably unhappy about robots not having souls or whatever.

Tom Tucker
Jul 19, 2003

I want to warn you fellers
And tell you one by one
What makes a gallows rope to swing
A woman and a gun

I keep going back on forth on this game but now that it's on sale I think I may pull the trigger. Paradox games have always seemed a little daunting and complex but I eventually got the hang of the base Hearts of Iron game and Civilization and Master of Orion 1/2 are two of my favorites so it feels up my alley. I think I'll go with it finally - is there a bundle or a specific group of DLC that really enhance the game?

edit: for instance they are advertising this

Buy Stellaris: Starter Pack
Includes 5 items: Stellaris, Stellaris: Utopia, Stellaris: Apocalypse, Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack, Stellaris: Synthetic Dawn Story Pack

hulk hooligan
Jun 13, 2020

buy my pasta
Pops are the main cause of performance loss, right? So does that mean I can play a huge galaxy size as long as I keep the habitable planets modifier as low as possible? Or is the AI just going to spam habitats to compensate? I use StarNet.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

The DLC subscription is still an EU4 only beta right?

Jazerus posted:

the tiles system as it existed was boring due to a lack of variety in buildings and no depth to the economy. i might honestly prefer a stellaris with tiles and the alloy/consumer good/rare resource economy we have now though. maybe keep the concept of building districts for additional housing and basic resource collection, which spawn resources on a tile for you to collect.

Yeah the current resource economy we have now is much better than tiles were. But I do think it could be improved further by making Strategic Resources rare and special rather than just necessary for every economy, and by making pops less discrete to allow a more natural growth/stagnation curve.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

hulk hooligan posted:

Pops are the main cause of performance loss, right? So does that mean I can play a huge galaxy size as long as I keep the habitable planets modifier as low as possible? Or is the AI just going to spam habitats to compensate? I use StarNet.

Do this, turn off guaranteed habitable planets, max wormholes and gateways, and minimize star lanes and the game'll play faster.