Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arcanuse
Mar 15, 2019

It's good advice. There isn't much to gain by angering the cats of ulthar, at least without a really good reason.
Got a feeling a seven-way tie might give us a bit on the 8th lord, but since that's unlikely at best went with dancer.
Should be helpful, learning more about our friendly (and only) in to the lords.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

(Voting ends late tonight. Character sheet has been updated with new information.)

...LOADING

King of Bleh
Mar 3, 2007

A kingdom of rats.
We should learn about Hider, since they are presumably going to be the most difficult to get intel on otherwise.

Regallion
Nov 11, 2012

Hunter is the lord who deals with dreams, so it would be wise to vote that way.

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

DD: Fondly regard abomination.

Hunter being lord of dreams and specifically being able to enter people's dreams seems like a very good reason not to dream of them!

And we actually know where Hider spends most of her time - in Jandoubi's flooded streets, or alone in the safety of her sickroom, or occasionally in the ocean megalith.

I'd rather not choose Dancer or Burner, either, since we already know a good amount about them.

I'd most like to see Moulder, because they seem to be associated with us in some way - their colour is black, like tyranny; their cult, the Blackwings, have the Freedom of Tyranny; and their Ultimate Hell Art is [CROWN], like our unremovable black crown. I'd also quite like to see the yellow hyena that's been following us around in symbols recently, but I'm not sure which one that is.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

pumpinglemma posted:

Hunter being lord of dreams and specifically being able to enter people's dreams seems like a very good reason not to dream of them!

And we actually know where Hider spends most of her time - in Jandoubi's flooded streets, or alone in the safety of her sickroom, or occasionally in the ocean megalith.

I'd rather not choose Dancer or Burner, either, since we already know a good amount about them.

I'd most like to see Moulder, because they seem to be associated with us in some way - their colour is black, like tyranny; their cult, the Blackwings, have the Freedom of Tyranny; and their Ultimate Hell Art is [CROWN], like our unremovable black crown. I'd also quite like to see the yellow hyena that's been following us around in symbols recently, but I'm not sure which one that is.

I went with Dancer because that may help us learn how to get more onto the good side of her cult, or at least how to avoid pissing her off and turning her and Burner against us. She seemed the more prone to acting before thinking of the two.

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

Our character sheet is still showing level 4 - what's up with that? Do we need to do something special to actually gain the levels?

e: Also, we now appear to be hated by the cats of Saturn.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 204 days!

pumpinglemma posted:

Our character sheet is still showing level 4 - what's up with that? Do we need to do something special to actually gain the levels?

its like a soulsborne game except instead of a nice doll or lady to vaguely imply sexy times when we spend our levels we have to deal with smericia

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

Level can be increased at any time by bothering Śmiercią, OR at set points during the game where you'll be told you can Level Up. Sometimes Levels will be automatically allocated, other times there will be a vote on where and how to spend Levels.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

pumpinglemma posted:

So we just have to make sure we bring some catnip with us if we ever go into space. Big deal.

Razakai
Sep 15, 2007

People are afraid
To merge on the freeway
Disappear here
Lets just take a leaf from dark souls and mash X when we go to Death to get a level up and skip her dialogue, I'm sure there's no consequences

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Or, and this is just a thought, we could NOT antagonize Death and give her a chance to nag at us considering we let two of the lords go (Ignoring the fact that either one of them could have easily turned us into a greasy smear on the ground, because she sure as gently caress will). Maybe we can make a bit more progress with one of the other lords first before we risk her wrath.

placid saviour
Apr 6, 2009

Razakai posted:

Lets just take a leaf from dark souls and mash X when we go to Death to get a level up and skip her dialogue, I'm sure there's no consequences

:hmmyes:

habituallyred
Feb 6, 2015

King of Bleh posted:

We should learn about Hider, since they are presumably going to be the most difficult to get intel on otherwise.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 204 days!
it might be worth going for a vision of blue because we have a connection to her (and red but moreso blue) and have a promise to sort out the consequences of

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

VOTING CLOSED - And I was alive with it, animated to screaming in awe of the might of-

THE FIRST LORD - 7
THE SECOND LORD - 6
THE THIRD LORD - 0
THE FOURTH LORD - 7
THE FIFTH LORD - 1
THE SIXTH LORD - 11
THE SEVENTH LORD - 1

...LOADING

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

down

muddledimagesblurringtogetherunderagraysky
hey hey counselor wait up wait wait am i important enough to matter
hahaha blue what do i do to be free like you

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~@~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
across the hills

&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&@&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&
through the forests

===============================@=======================================
on the river

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^@^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
over the mountains

______________________________________@__________Where did you go?______@____@______

You held each other with a joy that made my heart ache,
Do you all care for each other this much?
What hurt you made the the Island shake-
How much would I give for that touch?

Dreaming In The Dark posted:

I rise from my throne, a blackened crater scarring the earth. I walk from the Holy Land to the darkness I knew waited for me. The wilds beyond the valley teemed with silver mist and liquid black, its shape felt but unseen, and with one fist clenched and raised to an empty Heaven I cleave every footstep into the undisturbed sands of Could Be.

The dim reflection of the Silver Mind reveals shapes hidden in the mists. I walk past a structure of cathedral and marrow, past a structure of glass and light, pass a structure of rust and thunder, and stop once I come before a structure of rainbow night, black light, karmic might. But it was closed, locked, sealing me out, and I felt my darkness being stripped away by the dreamsight, leaving naked bare the pale watery colors hiding beneath the black. They make a disgusting sound as my crown is cast down. But I'll walk again.

running across the Pure Lands Ultrablack, laughing calling with your arms outstretched (with your arms outstretched?) racing up and down colorbled grass under black leather canopy and screaming with thrill every time you crash into a phantom and begging them; who who? Blue Blue? where are you?

no no you missed her you missed her again she was always going to be at the Cool Spot at the Final Place at the Important Site and you'd be left behind over and over and over you'd be left behind and you're screaming over the din of thousands of Campers for them to hear you- I belong, I belong, I belong too-!

They left Camp years ago. You're far too late.

It's abandoned, and they were an entire life past you. The field is barren, and the Sun has fallen down, and the champions have long since gone Home. You'll never catch up. You'll be left behind in Hell. They don't want you to follow.

it's true it's true, she hates me, she hates you
No. No no that's wrong. That's lying. That's not true.
Red & Blue with hate for you left when it was convenient to

(Disquiet) 9 - [2]+[2]+[4] = 8 - Success...

LIAR!!

The sky begins to rain starlight paint and you KNEW your heart was true - look! She was standing right there, without a cabaret care- IT'S BLUE! IT'S BLUE!!! You run at her and run at her and run at her but the distance never shortens between her and you.

She rises on a rainbow stage with spotlight bright down from the black of an Ultimate Night. Shadows crowd you, mosh you, push and shove and toss you, all screaming for her eye contact, for her acknowledgement, for her voice; you were trapped at the furthest back against the dark wall. She gave as much as she could, manic smile never waning for the love of her fam. She was on tour. She was on pilgrimage. She was walking holy. She was waiting for the gates of Paradise to sing back wide open. Then it'd be safe.

Then it'd be End.

You want to be there. You have a ticket! You had to catch up to her. You fight through the edge of the million crowd to reach her, but you're just a tiny thing in the thundering dark that could be trampled with ease, never strong enough in life or dream. Never strong enough to make it that impossible mile...

...ever...

Unless there is a Tyrant walking.

Unless there is a Crown.

I raise my fist and my Will is a Tyrant's Manifest. This was my situation to control again. I see the weakest links between all bonds. I see the shadow eddys of gravity laced through all existence. I see the intent needed to pull them apart to make my path.

(!Midnight) 14 - [1]+[5]+[4] = 10 - Success.

I walk through the crowd. Slipping here. Shoving there. Waiting when necessary. Knowing the ones who'd do nothing when I pushed them aside. Every step closer to the stage is easier to take, even as the crowd thickens to a sweating wall of slippery flesh. I force my hand through. I trip. I shove. I tear. I step on them. I slap them. I cast them aside and climb over the screaming pile to ascend the stage with my hand outstretched to the spotlight and nothing would stop me from taking-

...why did she stop dancing?

It was a stone block in an overgrown forest. A mannequin dressed tawdry slumped lifeless on its stand. Rainbow rot sloughs from the seams, and I pushed the doll to the ground, angry with the awful certainty that I hadn't looked Up.

I could feel it above me now; it had been watching from the moment I showed my tyranny.

The gravity engine's thrum. The constant vent of heat and cold. The softest crackle of photons struggling to bounce-tear themselves away from the blackmetal surface. It stands more than three stories tall and flies faster than the hypersonic; but did so with the silence of a single decibel, while hearing the breath of a sleeping mouse under the grass. It lands its mass with a beast's ballerina, blackmetal wings flared for stability, gravity jets distorting the air. Not quite a tank. Not quite a fortress. Not quite a mech. Not quite a jet. Not quite a throne. Not quite an animal. But still it had been named - Old Owl.

At the Owl's heart was a midnight-solar glass dome, surface bubbling with tiny pockets of air that betray the water-bloody liquid within, and behind that haze the blurred glow of information readouts for a figure bound in cables and wires, guiding the mass from inside. I couldn't see her, no. But I could feel her eyes staring into mine, as I steel myself against her scrutiny. Speakers chime with liquid surging, fading into brown noise. A rasping old woman's voice works it way through the dark sound, bitter with the authority of formality.

["Good morning!"]
["Or good afternoon..."]
["Or good evening."]

Always just a little accusatory. Always just a little wry.

["Whatever time of day you choose to believe is real,"]

["LET. IT. BE. KNOWN."]

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

I suppose it was inevitable that we'd get dreamjacked.

Arcanuse
Mar 15, 2019

Well. Someone couldn't be bothered to show in person, during normal, waking hours.
Guess our affairs in (and out of?) dreamland are finally notable enough to be Notable to the Notable.
Brains more holes in the defenses than a sieve and who knows who else is looking in?
Guess our guest should make themselves at home, stay a while, have a chat.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Stupid railroading game developers.

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

I was not expecting the Old Owl to be a giant biomechanical flying fortress, but I like Hunter’s style.

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

Lost an entire update to a really stupid crash. Update will arrive tonight or tomorrow.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Wow, we don't even vote on something and still manage to break the game.

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

*Hits Alt-F8*

*LP merges into the Paradise Lost CYOA and forms a singularity*

XkyRauh
Feb 15, 2005

Commander Keen is my hero.

Black August posted:

Lost an entire update to a really stupid crash. Update will arrive tonight or tomorrow.

Don't. Interrupt. Hunter.

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

[Oh, great. This again. It was typical for dream-scenes to lag and hang at certain parts, since they usually had a riot of colors and ascii bits moving around, to simulate a dreamscape constantly shifting and melting into different locations. The only thing to do was wait for it to resolve itself, with a nerve-calming glance through the Blue Book.]

The Blue Book posted:

"...loses her cool often, but Jevica and her Heir of Blood class powers can be an incredible distraction if her random appearance procs during a group fight in the Savannah, Rivergreen, or..."

"...agree that outside of the Lords and the Backup cult, the hardest bosses for any build includes Apocalypse Maggot, Death Efflorescence (both the 1st and 3rd Year versions), 76, Gasoline God, Sister Sister Fulgora, Chjotzo, The Murdering Space, One-Tusked Vorpal Boar, Hibakujumoku, The Hellpit of Mud, Cthonian..."

"...an arm and a leg and an eyeball, the Gun God's Blessing is especially worthwhile for..."

"...the memes about him, Bleeder is a frequent onerun ender and interesting for all the bugs and glitches that seem to happen after you..."

"...wielded, will double your ST at the cost of the Unliving status, which..."

"...can SEE her sing, you mustn't HEAR her sing; if you HEAR her sing, you mustn't SEE her sing..."

"...crits every turn, making Play To Off much easier to handle if you open the dialogue option to challenge her to a game; Strength is better for batting, while Dexterity is..."

"...Tyrant's archetype screen to shift from violet to gold, but it's not known how to..."

"...yet to successfully resolve the conflict of Alyssa and the Plutos against their starmetal creation..."

"...her die and needing to eat her will cause Disquiet to permanently proc at double the rate it did before, which may as well kill the onerun and..."

"...respond with 'Don't Hang' after which she'll ask 'Say The Word', which is..."

"...depends on your build- Marshall is professionally straight-forward about trying to get you killed, but Carter uses chaos, acting as both an ally and an enemy whose is never clear about how or WHEN he'll try to..."

(Thanksgiving prep plus work taking up the day, more later!)

Regallion
Nov 11, 2012

Why would Gasoline god ever be out enemy? From the description we got she seems rad as gently caress and i hope we can get her as permanent companion somehow.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 204 days!

Regallion posted:

Why would Gasoline god ever be out enemy? From the description we got she seems rad as gently caress and i hope we can get her as permanent companion somehow.

i think we're on slighly positive terms with the entire Burner cult, and also are on actual good terms with the entire Backup

gently caress smeircia (don't say it out loud though), red and blue are our friends, she isn't a friend. not at all.

they were our buddies they helped us survive the awesomest, bestest the most horrific and terrifying summer camp ever and we had a great time we banished a horrible monstrosity from beyond. what bonds are left in this world which can compare to those forged in a summer camp, learning to thrive in nature desperately fighting to surviving that which should not be?

Hodgepodge fucked around with this message at 00:08 on Nov 26, 2020

XkyRauh
Feb 15, 2005

Commander Keen is my hero.
Red is tolerant of us, but definitely harbors affection beneath the surface.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Black August posted:

"...her die and needing to eat her will cause Disquiet to permanently proc at double the rate it did before, which may as well kill the onerun and..."

So, uh, I'm guessing this refers to Kwiat? Not that we need another incentive to keep our buddy safe, but permanent turbo-Disquiet is a pretty strong incentive.

jaclynhyde
May 28, 2013

Lipstick Apathy
if she dies, we die

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

Point of clarification- Red and Blue are Friendly, individually. But the Backup cult is considered to be Neutral/Random, and the Sunburners are merely Tolerant.

Razakai
Sep 15, 2007

People are afraid
To merge on the freeway
Disappear here
As much as I like the idea of a True Ending where we all become bffs with the lords and resurrect death's daughter with the power of friendship, I don't see this game going anywhere happy!

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

Razakai posted:

As much as I like the idea of a True Ending where we all become bffs with the lords and resurrect death's daughter with the power of friendship, I don't see this game going anywhere happy!
Hey, why do you think so many runs end so soon? If you hedge purely to the Blue Book's conventional wisdom you'll never discover the hidden routes to success. Maybe a better endgame IS possible.

You know, if we're in a perfect seed, make no mistakes and never roll bad. No pressure.

Isaacs Alter Ego
Sep 18, 2007

Clearly the correct path is not to make friends with the lords but instead find a way to rule over them with an iron fist and finally become the Tyrant our psyche seems to demand that we are.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 204 days!

Black August posted:

Point of clarification- Red and Blue are Friendly, individually. But the Backup cult is considered to be Neutral/Random, and the Sunburners are merely Tolerant.

i'd like to think screaming "i promised dancer that I wouldn't kill you" would be a good way to diffuse tension with the backup. if necessary after beating them within an inch of breaking the oath, but you'd think it wouldn't come to that as long as you can communicate "i kinda swore to your boss to be nice with you"

reds crew are insane pyromaniacs so any help staying on their good side is cool, but there's probably a reason she didn't try to make us promise not to kill any

Hodgepodge fucked around with this message at 02:05 on Nov 26, 2020

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 204 days!
also the path is obviously to unite with the lords in a hideous conglomeration held together by tyranny, mushrooms silver, and kwiat

we may already be one of the lords as it is?

King of Bleh
Mar 3, 2007

A kingdom of rats.

JT Jag posted:

You know, if we're in a perfect seed, make no mistakes and never roll bad. No pressure.

Our game install/save is straight up broken to some degree, and that seems like it has been a net positive so far. It's thus possible we have a better-than-perfect random seed, in a certain sense.

(The narrative conceit for this LP is also somewhat strange in this regard, since we are acting both as a proxy for the diegetic Player Character, as well as directly choosing certain ostensibly random outcomes on behalf of the game engine itself).

Rubix Squid
Apr 17, 2014
I'd say that helps the whole fever dream feel everything's got going on here. Which is great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 204 days!
the whole one run premise hits a nice magical realism note where somehow this game is weird and possibly mystical enough not to be hacked and datamined and easily found in rom form

technically roms of this thing should be reported to the spc foundation and absolutely never downloaded or executed in an emulator