Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

Jobbo_Fett posted:

With how stupid everything related to Star Citizen is, I can't tell if the Cutlass Purple is legit when there's a loving news van.

Yeah they’re trying to make a joke about a pointless ship variant, but CIG would sell and has sold things just as dumb as a party ship. I mean thats basically what the Origin whale yachts are anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao

trucutru posted:

Today's ad, down to 40 seconds

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hHN0KZ2k0u8

By the end of the event they'll just flash "buy an Idris" real quick.

..the next Cutlass variant, the Cutlass Purple!

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

https://i.imgur.com/5f6KK2l.mp4

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

colonelwest posted:

Yeah they’re trying to make a joke about a pointless ship variant, but CIG would sell and has sold things just as dumb as a party ship. I mean thats basically what the Origin whale yachts are anyway.

CIG: Haha he wants a ship for partying what a dumbfuck hahaha get a load of this Jax McKracken guy

Also CIG: Grotto You Waiting For?

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

Don't tell my wife posted:

quote:

Haha I’ve had this very thought numerous times. She’d lose her poo poo. The first 1k yeah that was big. I’m already past the free F8. Eyeing the 600i. Honestly though holding on to things like a kraken I don’t really want. Drooling at the RSI gunboat though. Have $ on hand. Hopefully I’ll get my concierge letter and not have to play the f5 game been feeling like I’m not getting all the concierge emails lately. If she had any clue divorce would be low on my list of concerns 9mm would be higher lol.

quote:

North of 12k I’m afraid to look. I’ve have a discretionary fund that pays for cigars, evenings out at establishments I don’t want receipts from, kickstarters etc lol. I’ve been sick/ busy / locked down from covid so there is a few K in there that as far as my household is aware doesn’t exist. It’s the sad reality of being married a long time, and having a joint account. I used to own a company for close to a decade and got in the habit of not discussing how I spend the money I make. For some reason the wife wants input on things like pretend space ships. It’s actually easier to send CIG 1000$ for a ship then have the Volaire sim pit show up. There is no evidence of the cig ship. The sun pit is hard to hide lol. First world issues right?

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

On a scale of Star Citizen to 10 how fun do you guys think this looks? (there's sound)

https://i.imgur.com/1lxqhXF.mp4

I'm giving it an 11 personally

Experimental Skin
Apr 16, 2016

trucutru posted:

What a deal!

watch out! here comes the fun police!

This hilariously idiotic post from our favourite harbinger of doom is just perfect. In Store Citizer, buying ships for real world money in this honestly not pay to win game, really is the core gameplay.

So don't cheat Mr Space out of his hard earned cash, that's exploitative, you have to spend that cash for reals to win.

Store Citizer: We really are the biggest collection of self owing fuckwits ever assembled

L. Ron Hoover
Nov 9, 2009

Mirificus posted:

For some reason the wife wants input on things like pretend space ships. It’s actually easier to send CIG 1000$ for a ship then have the Volaire sim pit show up. There is no evidence of the cig ship.

Holy poo poo it's brilliant! It's actually a GOOD thing your CIG pledge gives you nothing of clear value!

Games > Star Citizen: There is no evidence of the cig ship

DigitalPenny
Sep 3, 2018

Thoatse posted:

On a scale of Star Citizen to 10 how fun do you guys think this looks? (there's sound)

https://i.imgur.com/1lxqhXF.mp4

I'm giving it an 11 personally

Wow.... That is actually super impressive and also one step away from a Darwin award.

I would not believe it unless I saw it. Assuming this is not some deep fake, i still retain some disbelief.

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

Chris, there's a market here. Gaslight your family with the new discretionary funds spaceship! It's got a whole bank of servers to store your space cash so you can go to space titty bars or whatever, you pathetic sack!

DigitalPenny
Sep 3, 2018

trucutru posted:

What a deal!

Are CIG aware of this or is there own store so complex now that they don't even know what's going on ?

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

https://v.redd.it/cwoza8gb3f161/DASH_720.mp4

Extended version to give you non-players an idea of just how much time one of these bugs will destroy:
https://v.redd.it/4bs53xoyxe161/DASH_720.mp4

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

DigitalPenny posted:

Are CIG aware of this or is there own store so complex now that they don't even know what's going on ?

They have absolutely done this on purpose, the gamification is another pressure tactic to keep people buying

A Disappointed Citizen posted:

I bought the game because a friend told me it was playable. Never been this disappointed, the game never went above 40FPS and the only gameplay I found was getting crates in some kind of Amazon Lockers and dropping them off somewhere else.

A Stern Citizen Corrects posted:

Sorry that you were misled. Had you known that it was an Alpha and done your own research, you probably wouldn't have spent the money. You're not alone; a lot of people jump in oblivious to the fact that it's still in Alpha.

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

https://v.redd.it/em3qcxl7bg161/DASH_1080.mp4

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

quote:

I invited my friend to join to get a try while it was free... that was a mistake. He was constantly crashing, jumping anywhere his ping would spike to 11k and his fps to 2, broken elevators not working having to jump servers to get to the ship terminals and when I finally got him off microtech we both got a 30k. He now is 100% locked in on this being a buggy scam.

quote:

Every person I have ever invited to a free fly over the years has left with a bad impression. Half of them are convinced SC is a scam now. All of them have had the required specs though.

I agree, don't risk it if your specs are low, but it isn't going to stop all the bad impressions. The servers are always crashing, basic simple functions like seeing your friends names, opening elevators, or even getting on your ship often don't work or just kill you. That's the stuff that I find most puts people off.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
In my experience at least when the game is breaking something is happening.
When it isn't breaking it's so loving dull it's multiple times worse

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

DigitalPenny posted:

Half of those steps that may save you money in the future require you to spend new money *right now* (which is the plan) so yes, they are aware.

They are just ratcheting those idiots into spending more. Oh, for $5 more I have the opportunity to get that ship that may go in price in the future! And later on... but I could also spend another $25 and upgrade to the RSI Manatee, and so until "whoops, how did I spend $800 without actually getting anything?"

JackSplater
Nov 20, 2014

Metal Coat? It's already active?!
Also, making people feel like they're gaming the system is a great way to make them spend more money than they otherwise would have.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer

peter gabriel posted:

In my experience at least when the game is breaking something is happening.
When it isn't breaking it's so loving dull it's multiple times worse

Yeah this is probably Star Citizens worst crime, they've fixed enough bugs so that its mostly playable and that only reveals just how incredibly boring it is. The population density isn't high enough to grief other players either, playing Star Citizen is only good for griefing yourself.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Sarsapariller posted:

Data running has actually been planned for quite some time! It still doesn't make any sense.

So yeah the devs basically don't have any idea either outside of more go-here-pick-up-box missions, and nobody really knows why you would need a whole server rack to store any of this. There is already a "Data runner" ship in the game though, the Drake Herald- that is the one that you don't remember because it is literally just a giant engine and a cockpit but somehow it goes slower than the capital ships when warping through space, so nobody has even taken a screenshot of it in years. Extremely fidelitous.

Lol that's so dumb and it's all still functionally the same as a transport mission. The idea you would need a purpose-built ship for that is absurd.

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

It's time for another summary of

:siren:INSIDE STAR CITIZEN:siren:
The show that doesn't need ads, because it is ads!

Today's synopsis:
* Looks like this one's going to be a full 10 minute advertisement for that new ship, the $260 one with the useless "Secret" vent system that apparently gets so little MPG in the game that nobody can afford to actually fly it. The one you can't actually do anything except haul cargo in. Just like every other non-combat ship.

* It is 100% the Millenium Falcon but they have received some kind of injunction from Lucasarts so they can't say the name.

* 40 seconds in and they have advertised like four features that don't exist. Smuggling, Scanning, Data Running! In the future it will come alive!

* Ship is full of doodads like flippable switches and seats that slide back and forth. The poor asset team for this game is like the heart of a 600 pound man, working quintuple overtime to cover for the corpulence and sloth of every other part of the project. They keep talking about the vents like it's going to be some kind of "Surprise" feature except they have covered it in literally every video about this ship.

* Chess playing is in. Chris delivers again. Strangely I haven't seen any Citizens post videos about chess yet. Too advanced? Not synced between clients? Who loving knows!

* We're 4.5 minutes in and they are still talking about features that don't exist. Scanning seat! Something about radar contacts!

* The ship underwent multiple redesigns to be able to fit the rovers inside it, a "Feature" that still has no discernable purpose

* Whoop Jared managed to sneak some talking in there, skip skip skip

* Oh they're advertising gas clouds again- this will be what, the fifth time? The screenshots make the game look like a 1990's space sim with the huge blotchy gas backgrounds. Elite had this feature at launch.

* Oh good more decks for space stations- this time Refinery Decks! I'm sure these will pair well with the recently released Cargo Decks, which are static level assets only accessible by space station elevators that do not contain a single gameplay mechanic- not one.

* They are hard at work on those Space Docks, the solution for them accidentally selling a bunch of ships that can't land on flat pads because Chris is a goddamn moron. They still haven't quite worked out how these things will work for, you know, cargo ships that need to land on the ground. But hey! Look at the particle effects from these vents!

* They are still hard at work on Space Fires in Space, a "Feature" they have been teasing for like 2 years. The team has now made sure they will be affected by... wind speed and direction? Uh.

* Finally a pre-tease advertisement for some other spaceship. More functionless interiors, who cares.

* Oh they remembered that the tank exists. "It has begun its adventure from concept into reality." I can almost guarantee that it will only ever exist as an excuse for idiots to buy the one hauling spaceship that can carry it, and will enable no other gameplay whatsoever.

* That's it! Still no roadmap past December.

Sarsapariller fucked around with this message at 02:40 on Nov 26, 2020

no_recall
Aug 17, 2015

Lipstick Apathy

Sarsapariller posted:

It's time for another summary of

:siren:INSIDE STAR CITIZEN:siren:
The show that doesn't need ads, because it is ads!

I think Shitizen's look at Elite and go "this is not what the game will be". Elite has all these gameplay systems and loops for scanning, exploration, combat that doesn't need another seat on the ship.

Its hilarious how star citizen markets itself. When they have a new ship for said role and within the ship, seats / stations for all these different jobs! only $250!

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

no_recall posted:

I think Shitizen's look at Elite and go "this is not what the game will be". Elite has all these gameplay systems and loops for scanning, exploration, combat that doesn't need another seat on the ship.

Its hilarious how star citizen markets itself. When they have a new ship for said role and within the ship, seats / stations for all these different jobs! only $250!

I like to imagine Star Citizen being semi-feature-complete some day, but with every individual feature tied to a different station on the ship. 90% of the gameplay for the average solo commando would be running from station to station like Picard trying to manage the entire bridge of the Enterprise by himself.

Flared Basic Bitch
Feb 22, 2005

Invading your personal space since 1968.

trucutru posted:

Today's ad, down to 40 seconds

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hHN0KZ2k0u8

By the end of the event they'll just flash "buy an Idris" real quick.

Jesus. I don’t usually watch CIG’s videos, but drat. That was dogshit.

TonyMcS
Aug 31, 2018

WoW gets warp gates and space worms ;-)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hwv7YQ3NuoQ

no_recall
Aug 17, 2015

Lipstick Apathy

TonyMcS posted:

WoW gets warp gates and space worms ;-)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hwv7YQ3NuoQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E653GWHbo2U

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster

Best Bi Geek Squid posted:

Another bizzare wrinkle from a thread pointing out that female characters can't wear hoodies:

this is really strange to me. so for a shitton of clothes they...only did half the work by making male-only models? so most of the "finished" clothes aren't really finished? I guess I could see this for like a shirt or something, but why do women need a different helmet or hat model?

why would anyone do things this way?

The fact that they didn't add female characters till like 2018 was one of the weirdest things about SC. Why would you even "release" a game that didn't even a female character option?

squirrelzipper
Nov 2, 2011

peter gabriel posted:

Data will be on external hard drives / cassette tapes / in buckets because gently caress it why not.
No, the fact that you can talk to people remotely is not data transfer without the need for physical media.
Did you know the vandul are expert hackers and the only way to safely transport data is in big data buckets?

See but this is such a good example of how they don’t see opportunities for both interesting backstory and gameplay. Like, hm, perhaps comms can’t be forced through the same mechanisms that allow FTL travel. Something about *handwave* warp bubbles needing a certain physical mass. Boom, you now have courier, smuggler and other professions that make sense. But oh, wait, you actually need the mechanics and gameplay loops. So it’ll never happen here but the fact they don’t even have a consistent world story after all this time is hilarious.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Lammasu posted:

The fact that they didn't add female characters till like 2018 was one of the weirdest things about SC. Why would you even "release" a game that didn't even a female character option?

Not exactly a hotly requested feature by their target demographic.

Now NPC slave girls, on the other hand...

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Best Bi Geek Squid posted:

this is really strange to me. so for a shitton of clothes they...only did half the work by making male-only models? so most of the "finished" clothes aren't really finished? I guess I could see this for like a shirt or something, but why do women need a different helmet or hat model?

why would anyone do things this way?

No reason at all for it.

You should be able to get away with hats, helmets, whatever jewelry you have, shoes/boots/etc, baggy pants, etc.

Hats should be something socketed in and not tied to your skeletal mesh also, so you shouldn't have mesh issues there.

Heck even Blender has a good tool to copy weight painting from one model to another.

But I mean this is CIG so probably whatever is the worst, most convoluted and difficult method available is what they are doing. :shrug:

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Mellow_ posted:

They released a new video about the Mercury and it's development, and there is a portion about the server room that is just so loving BORING.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JnfdU2urcUw&t=129s

Seriously, who the gently caress would find this entertaining or worthwhile at all? Who the hell is this designed for?

God drat I have no idea why but this server room is making me unreasonably angry.

I like how smoky the future is. :)

It's like there's always a fire happening and you're just living in the ash and smoke. Even on the space ships!

If that server room upsets you, don't go looking into the old passenger liner that sold years ago to people. It had like movie server rooms and all kinds of fun stuff you could do while mixing drinks and keeping NPCs from getting sick.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

L. Ron Hoover posted:

"The break room is one of my favorites. You can play chess. I worked on that for quite a bit, but we got it there."

Looks like someone completed another Cryengine tutorial! Good to see the game progressing well.

I can't find a CryEngine chess tutorial!

So I'd love to see it. I built a chess game in C++ like ten years ago on the command line, so it's possible!

I'd like to know if they built in pieces to know where they can move, taking pieces, and if there is an AI opponent, or if they just made a board with sockets and you have to know how to play chess yourself and just move pieces around to the sockets without help from the computer on speaker moves.

If it's the socket type and you did nothing else, go gently caress yourself and stop talking about this poo poo.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

trucutru posted:

What a deal!

"Exploits" for buying dlc???

What the gently caress dude. Do you go around tearing up everybody's Sunday papers because all the coupons are taking advantage of the companies?

Listen dude, all you simps are being used for not only money, but also QA. In most games the devs would give you access to all the things so you can test it and play with it. And because you bought the stupid video game.

Anything people can do to not pay huge swathes of money for some stupid video game space ship, the better. Even more so if the stupid space ship isn't even in the video game yet and may never be.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

trucutru posted:

Prettiest ship in the 'verse!

Space hard drive ship.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

trucutru posted:

Prettiest ship in the 'verse!

Self-archering is the best archering.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Sarsapariller posted:

They have absolutely done this on purpose, the gamification is another pressure tactic to keep people buying

Golly, if only they did their research and looked at CIGs website and Twitter and saw all the warnings about how the game is actually not even really a game yet, but is a walking simulator and a 3D model viewer experience with ships that have no physics.

Let's see all those warnings!

Hmmm. No warning. But they do say it's an alpha! Yay!

But the alpha blurb defiantly isn't in line with the giant text above it. Huh!

I bet all the warnings are in the development section. Let's find out.

Wow, almost 3 million people are playing it! That's not a warning.

Scrolling down... no warnings anywhere. I guess if you read the comments sections of the official media you would see negativity sometimes.

No warnings though about how the game is not what they advertise. Guess all that "you should have done your research" talk is bullshit.

Here's the reality: CIGs marketing is deceitful and targeted to maximize the money pile will spend, even on stuff not even in the game.

And no, they do not take about the hundreds of other ships that sold in the past also not in the game yet.

None of the ships fly like the videos. They have no physics and are basically in some kind of "look at the model move on these x y z axis" witness that is genuinely terrible.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

That's not how you use a dildo.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

trucutru posted:

Half of those steps that may save you money in the future require you to spend new money *right now* (which is the plan) so yes, they are aware.

They are just ratcheting those idiots into spending more. Oh, for $5 more I have the opportunity to get that ship that may go in price in the future! And later on... but I could also spend another $25 and upgrade to the RSI Manatee, and so until "whoops, how did I spend $800 without actually getting anything?"

Turbulent and their marketing teams have nailed it to an art.

Raking in millions of dollars for nearly a decade with a broken video game that even when it works is terrible.

These guys need to write books about this stuff because they are masters of keeping the ball rolling.

RandomGuy12
Jan 20, 2019

first part of the video looked like a Reaper.*

*If Chris had made Mass Effect in CryEngine. In Year 9 of development

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

no_recall
Aug 17, 2015

Lipstick Apathy

The Titanic posted:

Turbulent and their marketing teams have nailed it to an art.

Raking in millions of dollars for nearly a decade with a broken video game that even when it works is terrible.

These guys need to write books about this stuff because they are masters of keeping the ball rolling.

I watched a documentary on Netflix called Behind the Curve. It was a documentary about flat earthers.

I think bitcoin believers, flat earthers and star citizens have something in common.