Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Yvonmukluk posted:

Someone please stop me from spending unwise amounts of money on Eaglemoss' Black Friday sale.

Please.

The models are nice, but you have to subscribe to them. And I didn't like having to subscribe to the lamer ships each month.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Cojawfee posted:

The models are nice, but you have to subscribe to them. And I didn't like having to subscribe to the lamer ships each month.

You can buy them individually (as long as they’re in stock) for the same cost as the sub per month without having to subscribe.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Cojawfee posted:

You don’t have to subscribe at all, you can just individually buy the ones you want.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
I wanted the Disco, but I might have to inevitably wait and see how they do the Disco-A.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

The_Doctor posted:

You don’t have to subscribe at all, you can just individually buy the ones you want.

Oh, they don't seem to even have a link to the shop from their main page. I had to google for their store. 80 dollars is a bit much for me for the 1701A XL.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

HD DAD posted:

I wanted the Disco, but I might have to inevitably wait and see how they do the Disco-A.

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

They let the cat on the (other) ship

https://twitter.com/Grudge_Cat/status/1331681673499471875?s=20

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Aw shoot, I took too long picking ships and they went out of stock on the ISS Enterprise-D as I was browsing.

Oh well, I still got a bunch of the good ones! (Titan, Aventine, Enterprise-B & E, Shenzhou and Thunderchild).

Now watch as they put out a reissue of the Titan in Lower Decks colours.

Man, they really charge through the nose for the Discovery range. The regular Shenzhou's only £10 cheaper than the XL version (discounts notwithstanding).

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
I was about to buy myself the Planet Killer and Discovery for a friend but the shop imploded when I tried to checkout, so :shrug:

You can usually find anything that isn’t an Enterprise relatively cheap on eBay from people who obviously had the subscription but didn’t want half the ships.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.
Models are for nerdy children.

Legitimately hth.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Yeah everyone knows that adults buy 3D printers and spend thousands of hours sanding and painting prints.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I was about to buy myself the Planet Killer and Discovery for a friend but the shop imploded when I tried to checkout, so :shrug:

You can usually find anything that isn’t an Enterprise relatively cheap on eBay from people who obviously had the subscription but didn’t want half the ships.

Alas, the main things I want from that collection are the online exclusives (the ISS Enterprise-D and the refit NX-01). And the Prometheus, but that's also in high demand.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

Payndz posted:

Gonna fight the Master Control Program.
:golfclap:

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Yvonmukluk posted:

Aw shoot, I took too long picking ships and they went out of stock on the ISS Enterprise-D as I was browsing.

Oh well, I still got a bunch of the good ones! (Titan, Aventine, Enterprise-B & E, Shenzhou and Thunderchild).

Now watch as they put out a reissue of the Titan in Lower Decks colours.

Man, they really charge through the nose for the Discovery range. The regular Shenzhou's only £10 cheaper than the XL version (discounts notwithstanding).

One thing to be aware of about the Discovery Eaglemoss models is that they're basically already XL models. I got the Discovery Enterprise last year and it's loving HUGE compared to the normal Eaglemoss line. Like at least twice the size, to the point where I wondered if I'd mistakenly bought or had been shipped the XL version before I checked the dimensions online and measured it to be sure.

Looks rad as hell though.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014
Fun Shoe

Cross-Section posted:

I'll always love how the Bozeman seemingly takes no damage at all from the collision

Like, look at that ventral running light. Just keeps on blinking.

RIKER: Why don't we just let them bounce off of our nacelle?

PICARD: Number One, they're in a 2278 Soyuz-class, we're in a Galaxy. They'd rip through us like we were tinfoil.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Crusader posted:

edit: also

I wonder if they're going to bother updating all the sets with new windows to match the new super wide ones.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

Yvonmukluk posted:

Alas, the main things I want from that collection are the online exclusives (the ISS Enterprise-D and the refit NX-01). And the Prometheus, but that's also in high demand.

I didn’t know they’d done the Promelian Battle Cruiser from Booby Trap and I really wanted that one, but ehhhh the idea of spending money right now :shrug:

It’s such an underrated design, too.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

SpeakSlow posted:

Assuming the spore drive saucer cavitation locks in the same place when it stops.

The whole thing doesn't spin, it's just a plate on the top and bottom that rotates.

Yvonmukluk posted:

Titan, Aventine, Akira...it might be quicker to list the ones I’m not looking at.

FYI they've already said they're gonna put out an updated Titan to closer match the Lower Decks color scheme so maybe wait.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 00:52 on Nov 26, 2020

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

MikeJF posted:

The whole thing doesn't spin, it's just a plate on the top and bottom that rotates.

Thank you for ruining my mental image of everyone on the saucer getting throw against the walls like they're on a Gravitron ride every time they jump.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

nine-gear crow posted:

Thank you for ruining my mental image of everyone on the saucer getting throw against the walls like they're on a Gravitron ride every time they jump.

I expect in the original version of Discovery the grill was the part that rotated

and then when they switched to Kurtzman and he introduced the holes they kept the spinny bit by just moving it to the rest of the hull surface.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

MikeJF posted:

I expect in the original version of Discovery the grill was the part that rotated

and then when they switched to Kurtzman and he introduced the holes they kept the spinny bit by just moving it to the rest of the hull surface.

I liked the grill on the original Disco design. The speed holes are dumb... oh god now I'm doing it :ughh:

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

I think my favourite part of disco is seeing all the things Bryan Fuller was going for, and then seeing what we ended up with.

And to be fair, Fuller is kind of notorious for creating difficulties as a producer/showrunner and IIRC he has himself to blame for being booted out from disco -- but all the stuff I've seen of his vision make a lot of sense in a way he could pull off, but his replacements couldn't quite.

piratepilates fucked around with this message at 01:23 on Nov 26, 2020

Seemlar
Jun 18, 2002

MikeJF posted:

The final Discovery design used in the show was done before Fuller left and the negative space on the final design was a fair exchange for fixing the horrid stubby nacelles of the teaser model.

Also season 1 was run by Fullers guys, Kurtzman didn't step into until they got themselves fired after the s2 opener.

A GIANT PARSNIP
Apr 13, 2010

Too much fuckin' eggnog

MikeJF posted:

The grill is fun because it looks like the gills on a mushroom.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!
So at the start of this season they're in the beta quadrant where Terranova was right? Which means the Federation at least in theory didn't stretch that far. Sure 930 years have gone by but I dunno, a polity that must by that point have covered the entire alpha/beta quadrants seems unlikely to just quietly collapse because some ships blew up.
I sorta get why the guy was in that abandoned place but I really expected him to be a hologram. It makes absolutely no sense that he isn't one. And that they haven't gone back for him or even loving mentioned him at all. I couldn't get over him being able to see 2 federation ships on his scans but none of them ever coming to see who he was, because surely they picked him up on their scans too? That said if the burn was only 130 years ago and people in the Federation regularly live to 110 there's no reason his Dad isn't still alive. Or other people. Or...I dunno.

There's still so much of discovery where I feel like they have an idea for a story but don't try and make it actually work in the setting.
With the seed ship why was it so far away? What was it doing out there? How did it get there if travel is so hard? That's just an example but I feel like a lot of the show is like this. Where did that transport ship turn up from in the last episode as well? I assumed when he said they had a ship waiting they meant Book's ship, rather than just....a random ship that happened to be there. I get it's a ship graveyard and all but still - what?

I'm still not QUITE sure how the new dilithium stuff works either. Did it blow up on planets as well? Can ships warp around at all now?
If it didn't blow up on planets too I don't understand why it's so rare honestly. And if it did blow up there, then surely that's a much bigger deal than even the ships!

But most importantly for season 3 the thing that's completely spoiling it for me is having loving Space Hitler along for the ride all the time. It's like having a good aligned D&D party with a Chaotic Evil person who just hams it up attacking people all the time, she doesn't fit with the rest of the crew and with the idea of what star trek should really be. She also seems to give the writers the opportunity to end every situation with a gigantic shootout which is getting pretty dull.

I feel like season 3 is better and that the cast themselves are being wasted because the writing is just so badly thought out and shoddy.

Taear fucked around with this message at 02:55 on Nov 26, 2020

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Dilithium didn't blow up, it went inert, which made warp cores blow up

No word yet on where the rare functional dilithium is from

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

The Bloop posted:

Dilithium didn't blow up, it went inert, which made warp cores blow up

No word yet on where the rare functional dilithium is from

So does this mean everyone is going around with impulse only? If so - why's that seed ship so far out? How is it, even!

I feel like it going inert in the "current time" of the federation would gently caress everyone but at this point surely they'd advanced beyond normal warp? I get that this has been brought up earlier in the thread but when it's sorta what the entire setting is based around and the thing that makes discovery special is also tied really heavily into this concept I'm a bit miffed we've had gently caress all information on how it actually works.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Taear posted:

So at the start of this season they're in the beta quadrant where Terranova was right?
It was Terralysium and they were not near it. When Michael came out of the singularity she expected to be there and instead she was somewhere else. Same with Discovery.

In one of the episodes she mentions that she contacted the settlement on Terralysium and that they had not heard of her mom. So her fate is still a mystery.

Whatever is going on with The Burn is still very unclear, but in the last episode Burnham determined that it had an origin point (instead of just happening everywhere at once) and was probably not a natural event as a result.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

FlamingLiberal posted:

It was Terralysium and they were not near it. When Michael came out of the singularity she expected to be there and instead she was somewhere else. Same with Discovery.

In one of the episodes she mentions that she contacted the settlement on Terralysium and that they had not heard of her mom. So her fate is still a mystery.

Whatever is going on with The Burn is still very unclear, but in the last episode Burnham determined that it had an origin point (instead of just happening everywhere at once) and was probably not a natural event as a result.

So at the start they're super far from earth but close enough to Terralysium to contact it - where are they? And yea I know to a degree it doesn't matter but the Emerald Chain are still out there so how are they getting around if the Federation isn't?
And yes I did see that, the why of the burn doesn't really matter much (it's a mystery to be solved for the show) but how the new world works after it happened is a big deal and I don't think they explain it very well.

Someone compared it to Doctor Who a bit downthread and I kinda agree with that. Modern Who doesn't really give a poo poo about how stuff works it's just interested in telling a story around the doctor and I feel like Discovery is still in that realm right now.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

We don't get a lot of information. Burnham lands on a planet called Hima in 3188. Disco lands on another planet that doesn't have a known name and is just called 'The Colony' in 3189. Neither time are we told where in the galaxy they are, but they are far enough away from the Federation core that Sahil can't contact the UFP.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

FlamingLiberal posted:

We don't get a lot of information. Burnham lands on a planet called Hima in 3188. Disco lands on another planet that doesn't have a known name and is just called 'The Colony' in 3189. Neither time are we told where in the galaxy they are, but they are far enough away from the Federation core that Sahil can't contact the UFP.

Yes these are more rhetorical questions, I know the show doesn't answer them and that's what I'm annoyed about.
Star Trek has always been a bit poo poo with like...spacial geography but at least they like to give an idea of how things work for the purposes of the main story of the show.

I don't feel like Disco has. It's important how distant they are because how is the Emerald Chain operating without warp? And again why's that seed ship so far out when travel is so hard?

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Yeah a lot hasn't been explained and I don't expect we will get a lot of details. The main focus is on figuring out what The Burn is, and maybe how to reverse it or something. The status quo of the AQ is very unclear. Somehow the Klingons haven't been mentioned once. It looks like this week we will find out what the deal is with the Vulcans and maybe the Romulans.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Taear posted:

I don't feel like Disco has. It's important how distant they are because how is the Emerald Chain operating without warp? And again why's that seed ship so far out when travel is so hard?

They have warp travel. They trade for Dilthium crystals so they can use it, and have a major advantage over everyone who doesn't. Dilithium Crystals are just a post-apocalypse fuel analogy. The Seed ship is so far out because it's meant to be way the gently caress away from anything dangerous as a preservation method.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

A GIANT PARSNIP posted:

The grill is fun because it looks like the gills on a mushroom.

I never made this connection before and now I hate the speed holes even more :eyepop:

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Neddy Seagoon posted:

They have warp travel. They trade for Dilthium crystals so they can use it, and have a major advantage over everyone who doesn't. Dilithium Crystals are just a post-apocalypse fuel analogy. The Seed ship is so far out because it's meant to be way the gently caress away from anything dangerous as a preservation method.

Sending it out where nobody is, when you can't reach it, so it hits an ion storm? It feels like it's where it is so they can go and rescue it even if it doesn't really make any sense.
I'd be fine if they told us the couriers work for the Chain and they gather enough dilithium to make them a real power in the quadrant. But we've not been told that, we've just seen that they seem widespread but they're still excited enough about real dilithium in quite small quantities that they'll risk everything.

Taear fucked around with this message at 03:27 on Nov 26, 2020

Baudolino
Apr 1, 2010

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Dilithium still exist but in vastly smaller quantities. The emerald chain has enough of it to field å small fleet which makes them almost as powerful as the starfleet remnants. That part made sense. No idea why they would waste valuable resoursces to keep a seed ship in action. That does seem strangly extravagant.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

It's very strange because they keep bringing up the Emerald Chain like they are the main threat at this point in time, which I find hard to believe unless all of the UFP's neighbors were even more decimated by The Burn than the Federation was.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Baudolino posted:

Dilithium still exist but in vastly smaller quantities. The emerald chain has enough of it to field å small fleet which makes them almost as powerful as the starfleet remnants. That part made sense. No idea why they would waste valuable resoursces to keep a seed ship in action. That does seem strangly extravagant.

They're still the Federation, and given what's presumably capable with modern tech the ship is entirely self-sustaining. It just has to sit somewhere quietly indefinitely and act as an ongoing interplanetary vault.

Something I will note is they seem to have forgotten this week that Discovery's got a treasure-trove of Dilithium that should be suddenly making a massive difference for the rest of the fleet's warp capabilities.

FlamingLiberal posted:

It's very strange because they keep bringing up the Emerald Chain like they are the main threat at this point in time, which I find hard to believe unless all of the UFP's neighbors were even more decimated by The Burn than the Federation was.

The point is that everyone got equally hosed by The Burn to the point a normally-minor threat like The Orion Syndicate was in a position to enjoy uncontested growth. Power abhors a vacuum, and there was a pretty loving big vacuum given how reliant everyone is on Warp travel, how many ships were lost, and just how vast the Federation alone is.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Neddy Seagoon posted:

They're still the Federation, and given what's presumably capable with modern tech the ship is entirely self-sustaining. It just has to sit somewhere quietly indefinitely and act as an ongoing interplanetary vault.

Something I will note is they seem to have forgotten this week that Discovery's got a treasure-trove of Dilithium that should be suddenly making a massive difference for the rest of the fleet's warp capabilities.

The point is that everyone got equally hosed by The Burn to the point a normally-minor threat like The Orion Syndicate was in a position to enjoy uncontested growth. Power abhors a vacuum, and there was a pretty loving big vacuum given how reliant everyone is on Warp travel, how many ships were lost, and just how vast the Federation alone is.

But why would the Orion Syndicate suddenly grow so much rather than anyone else? I feel like the "what happened after everything collapsed" part is pretty loving important and nobody's asked it. Even moreso if the Romulans and etc are part of the Federation/were part of it before the Burn. And aren't Orion/Andor quite far away from each other as well? I know there's not really official maps, but still.

The fact Discovery has a bunch of non-inert dilithium just sat in boxes is loving baffling as well honestly. Enough that they could take it with them on this mission and nobody has gone "whoa where's all this Dilithium gone???" to me that's more important than Burnham going!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
Emerald Chain is a dilithium cartel which makes them a pretty big threat to any warp based power, maybe they can’t bring a gigantic fleet down on you all at once but if they decide to embargo you then what can you do? Hope someone else will sell to you I guess.

I don’t see why the Klingons or whoever would be any less damaged by the burn than Starfleet. Everyone needs ships and the vast majority of space travelers we have seen in this and previous series used either 1) dilithium or 2) who the hell knows. It’s not like there was always a big faction of non-dilithium-using guys. There’s already fanwank explanation for how Romulans could have been relatively unaffected to it because they don’t have matter-antimatter warp cores or whatever, who knows if they will use that in the show.