Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Jonny 290 posted:

terrible. also v yospos. in conclusion,

I dunno. it requires no janitoring which is my litmus test for good computer stuff

what else am I going to do with a mix of 1tb desktop and laptop drives?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

I dunno. it requires no janitoring which is my litmus test for good computer stuff

what else am I going to do with a mix of 1tb desktop and laptop drives?

it’s hideous and you should feel bad

Laslow
Jul 18, 2007

Silver Alicorn posted:

anyway I’m probably gonna buy a seagate exos hard drive and huff all the helium out of it
i got a helium hd and it’s not any lighter than a regular one. total scam!

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
I almost bought a synology 920+ but it can’t add drives to an existing volume, which is insane to me. then I went down the rathole of looking at building my own, which definitely won’t be cheaper and will require much more janitoring. so I gave up and bought some more drives for my old drobo and it will probably crap out and lose all of my data sometime soon

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

The Management posted:

I almost bought a synology 920+ but it can’t add drives to an existing volume, which is insane to me. then I went down the rathole of looking at building my own, which definitely won’t be cheaper and will require much more janitoring. so I gave up and bought some more drives for my old drobo and it will probably crap out and lose all of my data sometime soon

I ran Solaris on my primary desktop for a while back in 2008 or so and ZFS was real nice, but being unable to pull drives out of a tank kind of hosed it up.

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

zfs is cool. you can't add drives to a vdev but you can add vdevs to a pool, so adding storage isn't trivial but it is extremely doable. you can also grow a vdev by replacing all of the drives in it with larger drives. so like in a raidz1 vdev you replace one drive, resilver, replace the next, resilver, and so on until they're all the larger size, then the vdev magically grows

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
ntfs supremacy

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

lol

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

Bloody posted:

zfs is cool. you can't add drives to a vdev but you can add vdevs to a pool, so adding storage isn't trivial but it is extremely doable. you can also grow a vdev by replacing all of the drives in it with larger drives. so like in a raidz1 vdev you replace one drive, resilver, replace the next, resilver, and so on until they're all the larger size, then the vdev magically grows

or you could use a better fs, like btrfs

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

if zfs and btrfs are so good why are they not more widely used

not snark, genuinely asking. they sound great

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

imo zfs at least strikes me as domain specific storage server type applications. it effectively cannot be used in virtualized contexts or anywhere that it doesn't have direct access to and complete authority over the drives

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
synology uses btrfs

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
gently caress just bought the 5900x etc and on the back shelf was a rtx 3070

god it was tempting

my son wants to go play ball tho so will have to wait till later to do the upgrade

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
you can play ball with your child every day of his life, but you can only boot a 12 core system up for the first time once

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

echinopsis posted:

gently caress just bought the 5900x etc and on the back shelf was a rtx 3070

god it was tempting

my son wants to go play ball tho so will have to wait till later to do the upgrade

should've bought it and scalped it

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Bloody posted:

should've bought it and scalped it

this gets you the curse of no-post and jagged metal case splinters for the rest of your life. do not

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Jonny 290 posted:

you can play ball with your child every day of his life, but you can only boot a 12 core system up for the first time once

graph please find a way to make this the thread title

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
quick question tho should I install cooler processor etc on mobo before putting into case or after

Astryl
Feb 1, 2005

"15,000 hours of Diablo II isn't that much, dweeb."

Jonny 290 posted:

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

echinopsis posted:

quick question tho should I install cooler processor etc on mobo before putting into case or after

before is 100x easier

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
thanks man. gonna run a quick benchmark on the olde system, get the windows key and then try not to gently caress it all up 😎

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

Jonny 290 posted:

before is 100x easier

generally true but depends on the geometry of the CPU cooler and the 24-pin power connector, do a fit check before tightening anything down to see what the easier order is

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Jonny 290 posted:

before is 100x easier

I never even considered doing it before until now. :eyepop:

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

lol why does ram look like it wishes it was an energy drink

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Jenny Agutter posted:

generally true but depends on the geometry of the CPU cooler and the 24-pin power connector, do a fit check before tightening anything down to see what the easier order is

too late

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

number go up

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
you need more ram

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
:qq:

cut me some slack bro that hunk of silicon wasnt cheap

I have 2 x 16gb and aim to get 2 more. 64gb should be enough

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

echinopsis posted:

64gb should be enough

wow i thought you were serious about this. sigh.

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill
ram isn’t that important. it’s the number of cores that counts, and frankly idk how anyone gets any threads ripped with fewer than 24 cores

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
sounds like something who spent all their money on a meme cpu and couldn't afford enough ram to run 96 gig ramdisks would say

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

guys stop fighting you’ll rip this thread!!

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

echinopsis posted:

number go up

I wonder if there's some sort of an anti-tweaker community that tries to make the lowest-benching computer that's still minimally usable?

Astryl
Feb 1, 2005

"15,000 hours of Diablo II isn't that much, dweeb."

Schadenboner posted:

I wonder if there's some sort of an anti-tweaker community that tries to make the lowest-benching computer that's still minimally usable?

you're here

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

erm... actually thieves should be summarily executed
there are absolutely people who intentionally use crappy ancient thinkpads and things

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
yes, they are known as 'retrocomputing fans', or more accurately, 'ewaste hoarders'

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Jonny 290 posted:

wow i thought you were serious about this. sigh.

psych you thought wrong

Jonny 290 posted:

sounds like something who spent all their money on a meme cpu and couldn't afford enough ram to run 96 gig ramdisks would say

the official name is “monkey cheese cpu” thankyou very much

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Jonny 290 posted:

yes, they are known as 'retrocomputing fans', or more accurately, 'ewaste hoarders'

hey, i don't call you names, jonny

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill
yes, I used a cambridge z88 in my student days and more recently I bought a 12” macbook

cheap chromebooks also exist

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Jonny 290 posted:

did somebody say my name?

today i am posting from an 867MHz G4

maybe i will get my old athlon system from my parents house next time i visit, for some thread-appropriate content

i wonder if i still have a k6-2 machine there