Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

there was some rumor article going around about Persia being a future setting which imo is a great idea and there are many interesting periods to choose from.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

So uhh, I think I beat the game? I'm not sure. Are there no end credits? I got to The Reader as Layla, Basim got the staff and ended up in the current day, I re-entered the Animus as Basim, Sigurd came back to England with me and gave me the throne, the people at my settlement sang to me and that was kinda it. Never saw credits.

I didn't even find out who the final Order member was. I got 5 of the 6 clues but it says "Continue the story to find the next clue". What story is there left to continue? Killing the zealots I haven't discovered yet?

Lord Cyrahzax
Oct 11, 2012

They could just go south in this time period and do Islamic Spain at its height

HijAK
Apr 22, 2008

Rageaholic posted:

So uhh, I think I beat the game? I'm not sure. Are there no end credits? I got to The Reader as Layla, Basim got the staff and ended up in the current day, I re-entered the Animus as Basim, Sigurd came back to England with me and gave me the throne, the people at my settlement sang to me and that was kinda it. Never saw credits.

I didn't even find out who the final Order member was. I got 5 of the 6 clues but it says "Continue the story to find the next clue". What story is there left to continue? Killing the zealots I haven't discovered yet?

Yes, you do need to kill all of the zealots to go after the last order member. There is also one big final assault where you get a bunch of your allies from the other regions together and assault a small town where a certain king is hiding out if you haven't done that one yet. It showed up for me after the Basim stuff. If you finished Asgard/Jotunheim you also get a second part of that ending from doing the glitch Layla parkour puzzles you find in the world.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Earwicker posted:

there was some rumor article going around about Persia being a future setting which imo is a great idea and there are many interesting periods to choose from.

they should just grow up and go for poorly-recorded parts of history/the world. Polynesian raiders toppling the Norte Chico? gently caress it who's gonna prove you wrong?

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames

Skeezy posted:

Is the climbing slower in this game compared to Odyssey/Origins or is it just me thinking it is.

I think it's just more deliberate

Climbing that huge peak in the first area took forever and felt so worth it. I haven't really gotten that feeling in an AC game... since 2, probably

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Syndicate had some of the tallest man made structures to climb iirc and you could definitely feel it, but the mechanic itself could be a bit iffy at times. that was also the one where they half-borrowed the rope thing from just cause

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames

Earwicker posted:

Syndicate had some of the tallest man made structures to climb iirc and you could definitely feel it, but the mechanic itself could be a bit iffy at times. that was also the one where they half-borrowed the rope thing from just cause

Yeah, and I think Unity also had some of the tallest things in the series

Fannaraki Summit seriously feels so special though. The path I took to even get on top was winding, well designed, realistic, gorgeous, and then from the top you can see actual kilometers away seemingly

Should I hurry through to England?

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
I literally climbed to Fannaraki Summit from the coastline, for some reason like 90% of every cliff face headed to the summit is perfectly climbable. It took like 10 mins but was oddly satisfying

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Simone Magus posted:

Fannaraki Summit seriously feels so special though. The path I took to even get on top was winding, well designed, realistic, gorgeous, and then from the top you can see actual kilometers away seemingly

Should I hurry through to England?

it doesnt really matter you can go back to norway any time via the atlas

england does not have many big mountains, though they certainly tried. the game version of shropshire looks a bit more like northern wales than like shropshire. yorkshire is also definitely a bit more rugged than its real life counterpart. there are a few big castles on top of cliffs and stuff like that. but its definitely not really much in the way of climbing

Earwicker fucked around with this message at 02:50 on Nov 26, 2020

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

BitBasher posted:

I'm not aware there is a separate button press? I hit the light or heavy attack button and it spins around and make bubbles and like 3% of the time may break a crate or wooden wall with no rhyme or reason. Is there a separate button I am missing?

My hit rate has improved a great deal by holding the Lunge button while I do the attack.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD

quote:

- Heavy and light attack stats will now adjust correctly based on acquired skill nodes.

This is vague enough that I'm not sure what this implies but my take is that melee combat damage was not being increased by skill nodes. Which would go a long way to explain why ranged damage numbers are always like 5-10 times higher.

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49
I finally progressed far enough in the campaign to come across a hammer. It's very cool but I'm so good with the two-handed axe that I always come back to it.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Nuts and Gum posted:

I finally progressed far enough in the campaign to come across a hammer. It's very cool but I'm so good with the two-handed axe that I always come back to it.

Then beeline to the Dual-Wield Two Handers skill, and you can wield the 2-Handed Axe and 2-Handed Hammer at the same time!

Turns enemies into paste.

mst4k
Apr 18, 2003

budlitemolaram

Nuts and Gum posted:

I did two handed axe forever, switched to spear and hammer and never went back. Two handed axe that sets people on fire is cool as hell though.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Then beeline to the Dual-Wield Two Handers skill, and you can wield the 2-Handed Axe and 2-Handed Hammer at the same time!

Where do you get the 2H hammer?

Agaragon
Nov 16, 2018
So I just came across a bug. I was wandering around Glowcestre when I saw someone who ended up being the Ravenscorpe blacksmith. I talked to him...and the game went to a black screen and loaded for a while, which turned out to be because it was teleporting us both back to Ravenscorpe. I exited out of the conversation which is when a lady spawned right behind him. And she's apparently a friend of his who's filling in while he's off trying to get laid or something. Meanwhile, he's still here. I can talk to him, use the blacksmith services as him or the new lady.

So...out of curiosity, how is this supposed to work normally? I'm guessing he's tied to the Glowcestrescire questline, which is available but I have not actually started?

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Sab669 posted:

Where do you get the 2H hammer?

... wait, I thought all hammers were 2 handed?

Wait, no, poo poo, I was thinking of greatswords. Those are 2-handed, and can be dual wielded with 2-H axes to turn enemies into spam chunks.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

that 2h sword/2h axe combo also has a really sick spinning move that is just ridiculous

im still mainly doing two 2h swords though

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Dual swords is good, but dual spears are even better.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Got Unity and Syndicate for free. Which should I play?

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

:chanpop:

Is that down the seax tree? I don’t know what that is but I’ll level it up if so!

nuketulsa posted:

I did two handed axe forever, switched to spear and hammer and never went back. Two handed axe that sets people on fire is cool as hell though.

That’s the one!

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

It’s in the top left of the web.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

Rinkles posted:

Unity has the better setting but Syndicate generally does everything else better. Unity does have the best mysteries though.

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

Is there a reason to get a PS5 version of the game not on sale, when the PS4 version has a PS5 digital upgrade for free and is on sale? Is the upgrade not the same as the PS5 version?

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Rinkles posted:

Syndicate imo. Unity's the only game in this dumb series that I really struggled to finish, and I'm even a weirdo who kind of liked 3.

That said, Unity was the first game to depart from the "kill enemies with one hit if you counter them correctly" paradigm that the game established starting with brotherhood, and that took me a really long time to get used to, so maybe it's better than I gave it credit for at the time, but it currently sits at the bottom of my power rankings.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."
Okay now that I've progressed further I've gotten a few bugs here and there. Nothing gamebreaking but the notable ones:

-talking to a random guy just before a big siege made every word bubble disappear, so I had to reload before they'd appear again
-on the little sidequest with the baker to pick up a delivery the boat despawned before cutscene started so Eivor just plunged into the river for a few seconds then it cut to her and the baker only she was soaking wet
-Fulke the 'witch' was still hanging out in the spot in Oxenfordschire where she helps you lay a trap. If you've beaten the plot arc there you know why this is pretty funny (sidenote: it's pretty dumb that her big reveal is that she's not a witch but a paladin considering she's literally wearing a bunch of crucifixes from the get-go. what, they couldn't just model two separate outfits for her?)

Other than little stuff like that its been good times! I just finished the Sciropescire arc (Ivarr, the boy prince and the fat bishop situation) and I'm wondering if I hosed up or the plot just railroads you into loving up:

At the beginning I chose to give the 650 gold to Rhodri's brother who promised to usurp him only to see Ivarr immediately execute him anyway. I then spent most of the arc trying to be sneaky or diplomatic only for Ivarr to gently caress it up, and then in the end he killed the prince, killed Rhodri and then I killed him which I assume is not how it went down historically. It was interesting and kind of the logical outcome of the characters in play but I wonder if there was anyway to deviate from that basic structure at all?

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

100% locked in.

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

illiterate and militarist
Yep, Sciropshire is linear and you did the best possible thing with the gold.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

ilitarist posted:

Yep, Sciropshire is linear and you did the best possible thing with the gold.

I bought the black & white crow, no regrets either way :c00l:

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Why did anyone invite Ivarr to Scriopshire in the first place

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Pretty sure Ivarr is the sort to invite himself it's pointed out explicitly that Ivarr has a mean, burning grudge against Rhodri

Hyzenth1ay
Oct 24, 2008
Game is... okay. Good-okay. I reinstalled odyssey for a second complete playthrough though because this game is a serious disappointment on three fronts for me:

1. The loot. No randomized loot means nothing to gleefully find. I go through some crazy rear end ruin filled with vipers and free-dive ancient caves and I get to the glowing chest and find... a copper ingot. gently caress you.

2. The lack of sea battles. I goddamn loved ramming ships in odyssey. I put all my materials into building a better Ram. Arrows? Javelins? Miss me with that garbage. It was super fun to ram the hell out of a ship. Without naval battles the ship is literally the equivalent of walking across the terrain with mob AI off and no possibility for any discovery.

3. The difficult fights - zealots? I dunno only seen one huge guy with a full body shield - require you to stay in sight at all times. I had some epic thirty-minute insane fights across entire loving mountains in odyssey as I would pick on a merc twice my level and just fire arrow their head and dance around them and then oh-poo poo have to flee and hide. Then another merc would show up and I’d have multiple tactics going in a crazy fast-swap weapon dance of cat and mouse. Nothing was as fun as me v five bloodthirsty assholes and working desperately to remember to poison that one, fire that one, run, hit hit, hide, etc. Epic battles just ranging for miles. In this game, if you ever break LOS they heal up to full instantly. You do not.

Edit: lots and lots and lots of bugs too. Some quite funny. Some poo poo. I like the Mysteries mechanic though. Nice to not have a bunch of side quests everywhere. Glad you can skip the skill nodes if you don’t want them.

Hyzenth1ay fucked around with this message at 08:45 on Nov 26, 2020

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

illiterate and militarist
I'm power level 150 or something and I still haven't killed any of those zealots. Even the one that is supposed to be level 90 feels impossible. And from what I've seen they're all the same?.. They all use sword and shield and hurl spears at you. Immune to backstabbing. Even in Origins they were all unique and could join the fight when the alarm is on, right? Here they're just roaming the scenery minding their own business. There was a story quest that could apparently make them seek me but I resolved it and I didn't have to fight any of them.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Well this is interesting. I had somehow obtained the Galloglach armor before, not sure how, but when I went to open the appropriate chest for it...out pops a second set. I have no idea how this happened but I have two of them? I hope I'm not screwed out of some other armor set. :v:

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

The first two are both shield tanks. Others are different.

Sio
Jan 20, 2007

better red than dead

Eimi posted:

Well this is interesting. I had somehow obtained the Galloglach armor before, not sure how, but when I went to open the appropriate chest for it...out pops a second set. I have no idea how this happened but I have two of them? I hope I'm not screwed out of some other armor set. :v:

It's a known bug. The armor exists in two places in the world, so you can loot it twice. A similar thing exists with the Huntsman's chest piece, where buying one of the tattoos in the shop gives you a second copy.

It looks like it's going to be fixed in the upcoming patch, though.

FallenGod
May 23, 2002

Unite, Afro Warriors!

First time encountering a 90 power zealot at power level 30ish: wow gently caress that guy, I can't even hit him more than once before being blocked and he just keeps doing his combo through my parry. how do you even fight this?

Second time, having picked up Brush With Death: lmao :snoop:

mst4k
Apr 18, 2003

budlitemolaram

Any power level recommendation on heading to Jotunheim ? I have the ingredients for the second valka potion and I did Asgard a while ago .. that’s where that takes you right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

FallenGod posted:

First time encountering a 90 power zealot at power level 30ish: wow gently caress that guy, I can't even hit him more than once before being blocked and he just keeps doing his combo through my parry. how do you even fight this?

Second time, having picked up Brush With Death: lmao :snoop:

This is my experience with zealots too. Get brush with death, time dodges, win