Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is YISUN?
Mother
A lie we tell ourselves to have a purpose
Bliss
A paradox with no solution
Father
A strong female protagonist
The weakest thing there is and the smallest crawling thing
Creator
Everything in this miserable and hellish existence
A solution with no paradoxes
View Results

Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008

Potato Salad posted:

Mottom, one of the strongest beings in the universe, doesn't have an answer to an arrow?

That was not an arrow, it was a Jaggarrow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

aegof
Mar 2, 2011

Mottom's an old lady and a big dumb dog just knocked her on her butt, she needs a minute to get back on her feet.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Mottom and Mammon have spent the last 2000 years forgetting how to fight someone that can fight back.

Algid
Oct 10, 2007

Darth Walrus posted:

There's a lot of very powerful beings who don't have an answer to a properly-wielded sword.

When the arrows number in their thousands, can slice through meteors while remaining intact, and can instantly turn 180 degrees while retaining their velocity, it's safe to say we're dealing with pretty advanced magic.

It's not just that, he manifested clones and bows+arrows out of atum but the arrows somehow stayed around after the fact.

If he had the master key he could probably personally deliver the same pizza to everyone in the multiverse simultaneously but nope, he wants to blow up reality to make it better.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Hell, is there any good reason why Mottom’s still rocking around as a crone right now? Unless she’s already completely pissed away her stock of youth fruit off-screen, you’d figure that Jagg finally going on the offensive would more than meet the threshold for holding nothing back.

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Regalingualius posted:

Hell, is there any good reason why Mottom’s still rocking around as a crone right now? Unless she’s already completely pissed away her stock of youth fruit off-screen, you’d figure that Jagg finally going on the offensive would more than meet the threshold for holding nothing back.

It's been over a year since her tree died. Those peaches probably aren't especially shelf stable, and even if they are, we saw the rate that she burned through them.

She is only still alive because of spite, but Jagganoth isn't the target of her ire. She fears him.

I still think it wouldn't have been game over for her without Jadis's intervention, though. She must have some trick up her sleeve.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Back when mottom crashed her colony into the bank i thought she got too angry to get old
But I guess her figuring out how to remain young without the husband peaches meant she wouldve had some actual develepmont or revelation.

Shes still in her funeral clothes.

Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Oh wait no poo poo, is that seriously why she is wearing black?

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Rigged Death Trap posted:

:aaaaa:

This comic is so loving good.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

Donkringel posted:

Oh wait no poo poo, is that seriously why she is wearing black?

I assumed it was her war getup

Lemony
Jul 27, 2010

Now With Fresh Citrus Scent!
I think we could say she's... too old to die young.

Annnnd I just found out there are several songs by that name. Not surprising I suppose. I meant the one used in Django.

OgreNoah
Nov 18, 2003

I feel like since he's out of arrows it's now time for meteor swarm part 2.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?
Mammon's surprised look as his meteors get shot down is a hidden gem of the last update.

King Crab
Nov 12, 2005

lets pretend i didnt say that and lets als0 pretend it isnt inevitable
Jaggs channeling Impa from Age of Calamity with this splitting move.

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

NANNY GYTHA OGG
Witch-Matriarch of the Ogg clan, tyrant of daughters-in-law, owner of Greebo.

Bearer of the word FAMILY, and goddess of the Eight Part World.

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

I don't know what just came over me

The_Final_Stand
Nov 2, 2013

So cute and cuddly
One or both of Granny Weatherwax or Nanny Ogg is definitely Royalty.

Not to be confused with Magrat, who is merely small-r royalty.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

I feel like the witches are smart enough not to be Royal honestly.

Hempuli
Nov 16, 2011

I've been re-reading the Tiffany Aching books and while I'm not huge on the early witch-centric books from Pratchett, the Aching books extremely good and royalty-adjacent witching & witches. Not being a protagonist lets Weatherwax actually be the kind of imposing character she deserves to be! Also Miss Treason is amazing.

lightrook
Nov 7, 2016

Pin 188

They're smart enough to stay very far away from any positions of hard, formal power, while still naturally commanding enormous amounts of soft power, which might as well be the definition of Royal.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

The_Final_Stand posted:

One or both of Granny Weatherwax or Nanny Ogg is definitely Royalty.

Not to be confused with Magrat, who is merely small-r royalty.

Granny Weatherwax is very close to Royalty but trying very hard not to become Royalty.

Nanny Ogg is actually Royalty, but in the master noodle vendor way.

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Higgledy-Piggledy Whale Statements

Gytha Ogg has no interest in Royalty, and so achieves it effortlessly (or at least, that's what she'd say. She's not, I think, actually Royal because she is actually a huge busybody about keeping things in order.)

Granny Weatherwax is absolutely dead-set on being Royalty but also moral enough to recognize what that would look like really, so is in an uncomfortable position of constantly trying to sidle just up to the line. When she feels like she can Cut freely, she just absolutely does. Granny absolutely lives for the moment she can totally go ahead and do the thing she wanted to do. Frankly, if she were less self-denying, she'd go out looking for monsters to mess with. The monsters are lucky she mostly waits for them to show up.

Buddha Fett
Apr 8, 2011
These Discworld Royalty discussions are some of my favorite things on this forum.

Innocent_Bystander
May 17, 2012

Wait, missile production is my responsibility?

Oh.
Would Meti speak highly of Dibbler? On the one hand, he's the local equivalent of a noodle seller, on the other hand he's trying entirely too hard most of the time.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
Meti and Vimes would get along famously.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Lemony posted:

I think we could say she's... too old to die young.

Annnnd I just found out there are several songs by that name. Not surprising I suppose. I meant the one used in Django.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3fvCK2r9BLw

I prefer this to those.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

I've liked a lot of the Discworld books but at some point most of them boil down to "hyper-competent sensible person surrounded by a world of idiots". They're more charming to me when the protagonist is a bumbler too, like Color of Magic.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Rotten Red Rod posted:

I've liked a lot of the Discworld books but at some point most of them boil down to "hyper-competent sensible person surrounded by a world of idiots". They're more charming to me when the protagonist is a bumbler too, like Color of Magic.
How do you feel about Witches Abroad? Because that one kind of manages to be both.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Innocent_Bystander posted:

Would Meti speak highly of Dibbler? On the one hand, he's the local equivalent of a noodle seller, on the other hand he's trying entirely too hard most of the time.

She would probably despise Dibbler because he doesn't actually value his craft, only sees it as his pathway to greater riches. Also, because he would not give a old woman in a barrel a free meat pie.

But she would probably get along just fine with Foul Ol' Ron's gang, much to the terror and detriment of everyone they encounter.

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

The pinnacle of cloud computing.

Ankh-Morpork would be full of Royal individuals, because they'd have made a Guild with Rules and if you follow the Rules you are thus Royal.

Either that or a Vimes beheaded them all before they could take root.

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Honestly most of the competent people are deeply not sensible at all - Vimes, Moist, the Witches, they're all competent but also super weird.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Joe Slowboat posted:

Gytha Ogg has no interest in Royalty, and so achieves it effortlessly (or at least, that's what she'd say. She's not, I think, actually Royal because she is actually a huge busybody about keeping things in order.)

Granny Weatherwax is absolutely dead-set on being Royalty but also moral enough to recognize what that would look like really, so is in an uncomfortable position of constantly trying to sidle just up to the line. When she feels like she can Cut freely, she just absolutely does. Granny absolutely lives for the moment she can totally go ahead and do the thing she wanted to do. Frankly, if she were less self-denying, she'd go out looking for monsters to mess with. The monsters are lucky she mostly waits for them to show up.

Weatherwax is one Cackle away from being a demiurge.

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

A.o.D. posted:

100%

I love how much she resented her sister for being the bad one (her sister thought she was the good one, because she was all sparkles and fairy-godmothering) because it means Granny had to be the good one.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

A.o.D. posted:

Joe Slowboat posted:

100%

I love how much she resented her sister for being the bad one (her sister thought she was the good one, because she was all sparkles and fairy-godmothering) because it means Granny had to be the good one.

“There was a wicked ole witch once called Black Aliss. She was an unholy terror. There's never been one worse or more powerful. Until now. Because I could spit in her eye and steal her teeth, see. Because she didn't know Right from Wrong, so she got all twisted up, and that was the end of her.

"The trouble is, you see, that if you do know Right from Wrong, you can't choose Wrong. You just can't do it and live. So.. if I was a bad witch I could make Mister Salzella's muscles turn against his bones and break them where he stood... if I was bad. I could do things inside his head, change the shape he thinks he is, and he'd be down on what had been his knees and begging to be turned into a frog... if I was bad. I could leave him with a mind like a scrambled egg, listening to colors and hearing smells...if I was bad. Oh yes." There was another sigh, deeper and more heartfelt.

"But I can't do none of that stuff. That wouldn't be Right."

She gave a deprecating little chuckle. And if Nanny Ogg had been listening, she would have resolved as follows: that no maddened cackle from Black Aliss of infamous memory, no evil little giggle from some crazed Vampyre whose morals were worse than his spelling, no side-splitting guffaw from the most inventive torturer, was quite so unnerving as a happy little chuckle from a Granny Weatherwax about to do what's best.”

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Rotten Red Rod posted:

I wonder if this is why they appealed to me so much as a teenager (aside from just being well written and funny)

Twenty Four
Dec 21, 2008

Mr. Lobe posted:

Ms. Cool Ice

hah, nice

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Who What Now posted:

Meti and Vimes would get along famously.

Being knurd is close to perceiving the wheel id say

Magnus Manfist
Mar 10, 2013

Innocent_Bystander posted:

I feel like people interpret Meti's "go be a noodle seller" thing in a weird way. I don't think she likes or respects anyone who happens to sell noodles. I imagine she sees most of them as too fat and lazy, rather than too enlightened, to follow the way of the sword. For example, some family has been giving her noodles every day for years because they respect her ability to loving murder people really well, revealing themselves to be absolute morons (not that she's gonna turn down the noodles).

Everything we've seen from her is a mixture of pride at having acheived absolute mastery of violence compared to which the rulers of the cosmos are dilletantes bonking each other on the head with sticks, and self-hatred on realising that was a lovely,empty thing to aim for and contempt for anyone else who doesn't realise that.

She's not going to be your friend just because you work in a restaurant. I imagine she'd only respect someone who has both mastered Cutting and realised they should walk away from it and do something else. Maybe Intra? Probably not even then because she's a miserable old gently caress who doesn't like anyone.

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog
Yeah it's not that having a regular job is awesome, just that virtually anything is better than dedicating your life to violence.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

I think it may go deeper than that. I think it's that if one applied the same amount of effort and dedication that it takes to become a swordmaster to, say, becoming a master noodle maker then you would end up a much happier and fulfilled person. You would be able to make delicious meals and feed the hungry. You could support a family, and gain fame, recognition, and wealth if those things matter to you.

Whereas becoming a master of the sword only makes you capable of killing people.