Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Foxfire_
Nov 8, 2010

Jedit posted:

It wasn't a standing order, the Company explicitly knew there was an alien lifeform on LV-426. The evidence is that they replaced the Nostromo's science officer with Ash two days before it set off on its last voyage.
If it's not opportunistic, the plan makes no sense though. Sending a team that's expecting aliens, knows not to stick their head in an egg, and has a bunch of nets would be way more likely to work than sending a bunch of random truckers and hoping it somehow ends up with them bringing back a sample

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MichiganCubbie
Dec 11, 2008

I love that I have an erection...

...that doesn't involve homeless people.

Foxfire_ posted:

If it's not opportunistic, the plan makes no sense though. Sending a team that's expecting aliens, knows not to stick their head in an egg, and has a bunch of nets would be way more likely to work than sending a bunch of random truckers and hoping it somehow ends up with them bringing back a sample

I always thought it was more suspicion, not outright knowing. The company would have no idea what the aliens even are, just that there's a possibility, and if that possibility is a reality, they have Ash ready to help. If the Nostromo found nothing on the trip, Ash would have continued as normal and no one would be the wiser.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

A weird egg? that's gonna get you flagged at customs. Having a thing growing inside you? That's fine and nobody is gonna know, unless it hatches early and kills the crew

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
The point of using the Nostromo is that they're expendable, if they disappear out in the middle of space it can be chalked up to an accident and forgotten. If you actually put a real mission together then there's a paper trail for the whole thing.

It actually has a similar feel to what Burke was up to in Aliens. You know the xeno is out there so you send people with the stated purpose of rescuing survivors and killing any aliens, but Burke knew all along that the crew was expendable to him and that his ultimate goal was to capture a xeno and make his career off it. That's the way the Company works, they're all backbiting and jockeying for position because it's pure unadulterated capitalism. Had Burke been up front about what he expected to find on LV-426 someone else would've been able to take credit.

Greggster
Aug 14, 2010

MichiganCubbie posted:

Random Access Memories is a great album. We need more new Disco.

If you haven't already, check out Dua Lipa with her album Future Nostalgia! Disco/funk with some of the slickest melodies in recent times :)

packetmantis
Feb 26, 2013

Heheh.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
The Sonic the Hedgehog movie isn't particularly subtle on a lot of things, but on some thought, Agent Stone being Dr Robotnik's primary handler makes a lot of sense; Stone is a near Mr Smithers level sycophant, and given Robotnik's established personality as a severe misanthrope and general arrogant prick who considers humans unreliable compared to machines, Stone is someone he CAN rely on and even cares about as much as he seems to be able to. Given Robotnik's implied to have been a US government asset for years, Stone is probably the only person who can actually work with him long-term.

freeedr
Feb 21, 2005

Ghost Leviathan posted:

The Sonic the Hedgehog movie isn't particularly subtle on a lot of things, but on some thought, Agent Stone being Dr Robotnik's primary handler makes a lot of sense; Stone is a near Mr Smithers level sycophant, and given Robotnik's established personality as a severe misanthrope and general arrogant prick who considers humans unreliable compared to machines, Stone is someone he CAN rely on and even cares about as much as he seems to be able to. Given Robotnik's implied to have been a US government asset for years, Stone is probably the only person who can actually work with him long-term.

And his latte with steamed Austrian goat milk game is on point 👌🏼😩

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Foxfire_ posted:

That wasn't the plan. The plan was for the crew to find the derelict, get someone impregnated because they didn't know not to stick their head in an egg - and remember, unless someone sticks their head in an egg there's no alien to capture - then put the impregnated person in hypersleep. If the crew didn't go along with that then the alien kills the crew and Ash pilots the ship home.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

Ghost Leviathan posted:

The Sonic movie, while far from flawless, was a lot more fun than it had any right to be. Jim Carey made a great Robotnik

Greggster posted:

If you haven't already, check out Dua Lipa with her album Future Nostalgia! Disco/funk with some of the slickest melodies in recent times :)

Wholeheartedly seconding this. Such a drat fun album.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I liked the gag in the Sonic movie where Robotnik goes to his circuit breaker and one of the switches is labelled "Badniks". That was cute.

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

Sobic was fun as hell, and yeah, Carrey carried it (heh) but I didn't mind any of the other actors or characters either.

It's not a cinematic masterpiece or some great achievement, but as a children's movie made to bring a dying character back in the youth's consciousness (because let's face it, Sonic was well on his way to being completely forgotten) it works really well.

I'm actually looking forward to the sequel, and I've never been a fan of Sonic. Those last scenes with Robotnik sporting his new look among the mushrooms and Tails flying in were exactly the tone I was looking for.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
The licensed media has been the best thing about Sonic for decades at this point.

Was also embarassing that the rest of the human cast were a lot better acted than the humans besides the protagonist one in Detective Pikachu.

Speaking of, something from that: the villain's sinister lady lackey is seen texting some plot relevant info from the underground fight pit, which may seem like lazy exposition... but on top of it probably being smarter than talking out loud about sinister dealings in a crowded and noisy unsecure area, said lacky is a Ditto in human disguise, and quite possibly can't speak anything in a human language even if it can take human form. Texting is a way to cross the species barrier of communication, without having to use telepathy like Mewtwo or tone and context that requires being in the same place like other Pokemon and humans do.

Ghost Leviathan has a new favorite as of 09:30 on Nov 21, 2020

James Woods
Jul 15, 2003

Tumble posted:

The settings are just vehicles for the stories, sure, but Cameron is a turbosperg so he's probably thought about this stuff as much as his fans. He's fun to listen to, lots of little things have untold stories to him. Michael Mann is similar, if you listen to his commentary he shares a lot of character backstory that never comes up on screen. Like when you think of an actor saying "What's my motivation?" Mann'll have some.

One interesting thing about Heat is that Mann directed Al Pacino to play Hanna as a raving coke head bit didn't explicitly show out on screen. "Cuz she's got a GREAT rear end!! And you got your head all up in it!" This is unsurprising if you know that the Hanna character was first played by Tom Sizemore in the TV miniseries L.A. Takedown which came out a few years before the feature film. It was also written and directed by Mann and essentially fleshes out the events of the film over one season of television. Definitely worth a watch if you can track it down. Strangely enough Sizemore's performance as Hanna is way more subdued than Pacino which is odd if you know anything about his personal life.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

James Woods posted:

One interesting thing about Heat is that Mann directed Al Pacino to play Hanna as a raving coke head bit didn't explicitly show out on screen. "Cuz she's got a GREAT rear end!! And you got your head all up in it!" This is unsurprising if you know that the Hanna character was first played by Tom Sizemore in the TV miniseries L.A. Takedown which came out a few years before the feature film. It was also written and directed by Mann and essentially fleshes out the events of the film over one season of television. Definitely worth a watch if you can track it down. Strangely enough Sizemore's performance as Hanna is way more subdued than Pacino which is odd if you know anything about his personal life.

There must be two LA Takedowns by Mann, because Sizemore isn’t Hanna in the one I saw. The only actor in both is Xander Berkley, who’s Waingro in LA Takedown, and Ralph in Heat.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007

Joey Freshwater posted:

Curious how much your church led you to look into those things. The Simpsons everyone knew about but were there specific games or music that you wouldn’t have played/listened to if you hadn’t heard about them at church?

Well you have to remember this was in flyover country before the internet so my ability to "look into" things that weren't immediately at hand was limited to what seems like an unimaginable degree nowadays. Basically it just had the effect of giving things I was already exposed to from kids at school and neighbors the delicious flavor of the forbidden. For example my next door neighbor was a latchkey kid who loved metal, had cable TV and a 386 PC, and his parents didn't care if he watched rated R movies or played DOOM.

James Woods
Jul 15, 2003

Torquemada posted:

There must be two LA Takedowns by Mann, because Sizemore isn’t Hanna in the one I saw. The only actor in both is Xander Berkley, who’s Waingro in LA Takedown, and Ralph in Heat.

I just looked it up and you're totally right. I don't know why I remembered it having Sizemore but it's been a decade since I've watched it. Either way it's a good watch. I also just realized after checking IMDB it's got Michael Rooker. Maybe I'll give it another watch.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser
It’s really not good. I like it because I really dig the background scenery and light in 80’s LA film and tv, and love Heat. It also has value as an aid to illustrate how a great cast can elevate a pedestrian film to greatness. Watch the two coffee shop scenes side by side, the dialogue is almost identical: the ‘89 is risible by comparison.

Foxfire_
Nov 8, 2010

Jedit posted:

That wasn't the plan. The plan was for the crew to find the derelict, get someone impregnated because they didn't know not to stick their head in an egg - and remember, unless someone sticks their head in an egg there's no alien to capture - then put the impregnated person in hypersleep. If the crew didn't go along with that then the alien kills the crew and Ash pilots the ship home.
Seems less likely to work than sending a bunch of company security guys + a couple victims that stay in cryosleep the whole time. Go grab some eggs without sticking your head in them, wake up the victims & forcibly egg them, put them back to sleep (which you know to do right away instead of waiting till it hatches), then go home. Don't depend on the unaware crew doing anything in particular/aliens killing crew but not Ash and somehow surviving the trip home.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007

Foxfire_ posted:

Seems less likely to work than sending a bunch of company security guys + a couple victims that stay in cryosleep the whole time. Go grab some eggs without sticking your head in them, wake up the victims & forcibly egg them, put them back to sleep (which you know to do right away instead of waiting till it hatches), then go home. Don't depend on the unaware crew doing anything in particular/aliens killing crew but not Ash and somehow surviving the trip home.

But if they sent people who knew what they were looking for they wouldn't have plausible deniability, and they needed to be able to circumvent quarantine with the prize when they got the thing home. Three men can keep a secret if two of them are dead and all that. Ash doesn't count as a person for the purposes of "knowing a secret".

MadDogMike
Apr 9, 2008

Cute but fanged

Imagined posted:

But if they sent people who knew what they were looking for they wouldn't have plausible deniability, and they needed to be able to circumvent quarantine with the prize when they got the thing home. Three men can keep a secret if two of them are dead and all that. Ash doesn't count as a person for the purposes of "knowing a secret".

Also it was cheaper to send the space truckers; remember utterly stupid greed is the motivation here.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Yeah. It's the story of the greedy unethical corporation treating its working class employees as disposable assets and sending them into horificcanlly dangerous situations on purpose, not the merely unethical corporation carefully picking personnel trained for the job at hand. If anything, the plan being less likely to work underlines how all-important the bottom line is to the plan.

"Get a xenomorph", "do it cheaply", "do it safely"; you can pick two.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Foxfire_ posted:

Alien Resurrection apologist detected.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

My Lovely Horse posted:

Yeah. It's the story of the greedy unethical corporation treating its working class employees as disposable assets and sending them into horificcanlly dangerous situations on purpose, not the merely unethical corporation carefully picking personnel trained for the job at hand. If anything, the plan being less likely to work underlines how all-important the bottom line is to the plan.

"Get a xenomorph", "do it cheaply", "do it safely"; you can pick two.

Subtle moment in Alien: Capitalism is Bad

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

bony tony posted:

:aaaaa:

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

James Woods posted:

I just looked it up and you're totally right. I don't know why I remembered it having Sizemore but it's been a decade since I've watched it. Either way it's a good watch. I also just realized after checking IMDB it's got Michael Rooker. Maybe I'll give it another watch.

I think you are thinking of Robbery Homicide Division.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0315686/

Greggster
Aug 14, 2010

bony tony posted:

In the sequel Ridley Scott walked up to a whiteboard and wrote Alien... and a $ sign, and then everyone started clapping their hands.
Brad Pitt was there but alas, he could not read and said "So, this is how liberty dies... With a thunderous applause".

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Torquemada posted:

It’s really not good. I like it because I really dig the background scenery and light in 80’s LA film and tv,

Im assuming you’ve already seen it, but if you haven’t, go watch Collateral right now. The lighting and way bits of LA are framed in the film is top notch. It might be my favorite Mann movie.

James Woods
Jul 15, 2003

AFewBricksShy posted:

I think you are thinking of Robbery Homicide Division.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0315686/

You are 100% correct. RHD is described in IMDB as an adaptation of L.A. Takedown. Not sure how accurate that is but Michael Mann was involved and the story is essentially the same. This was the show I was thinking about and it was great. I have seen L.A. Takedown however and after skimming through it to refresh my memory the above poster is right. It's amazing what a difference casting makes.

I really hope Blackhat and Public Enemies don't wind up being his final two films. He's currently 77. Maybe he can pull off his own Fury Road before leaving us.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Greggster posted:

In the sequel Ridley Scott walked up to a whiteboard and wrote Alien... and a $ sign, and then everyone started clapping their hands.
Brad Pitt was there but alas, he could not read and said "So, this is how liberty dies... With a thunderous applause".

Lol

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
Nah man, he could read back then, he just forgot how to read for Burn After Reading, many moons later.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

Greggster posted:

...and that director's name... was Stanley Kubrick.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Greggster posted:

Nice to see someone else knows the Cameron "Alien$" anecdote is fictional.

Tumble
Jun 24, 2003
I'm not thinking of anything!
Since I couldn't go home for Thanksgiving I spent my morning smoking weed in the bathtub reading a book, then went and did some volunteer stuff and now I'm home for a bit watching a movie.

Man, I think 'The Nice Guys' is one of my favorite movies now. I just realized that I've probably seen it at least 6 or 7 times, plus the times I've just sorta had it on in the background. It's becoming a movie I think of as in a similar vein to Hot Fuzz. While it of course doesn't have the same kind of joke density or the infinitely re-referential callbacks Fuzz does, New Guys has that kind of humor where your hand isn't held and you aren't guided to the jokes, they just kind of happen around the movie and you catch them as they do. I guess I don't mean the same *style* of, but perhaps *level* of humor? It's hard for me to put into words but they fit in together a bit nonetheless.

Anyways, one of my favorite little jokes in the movie is one of those ones that speeds by quickly with no hand-holding: At the porn party mansion, there are two girls walking together through the foreground. talking to each other, and one of them says "All I told him was, if you want me to do that then *don't* eat the asparagus."

The fact that the movie just leaves it there as kind of a throwaway with no insinuation that there is anything else to it makes the joke so much funnier. It's just a quick easter-egg for the perverts to get; nobody I've watched the movie with has actually gotten that joke without me explaining why I'm laughing my rear end off, either, which goes to show I keep far politer company than I probably deserve.

James Woods posted:

You are 100% correct. RHD is described in IMDB as an adaptation of L.A. Takedown. Not sure how accurate that is but Michael Mann was involved and the story is essentially the same. This was the show I was thinking about and it was great. I have seen L.A. Takedown however and after skimming through it to refresh my memory the above poster is right. It's amazing what a difference casting makes.

I really hope Blackhat and Public Enemies don't wind up being his final two films. He's currently 77. Maybe he can pull off his own Fury Road before leaving us.

I actually like Blackhat, it's a well-made technothriller with some cool action scenes. It manages to make hacking a movie both fairly interesting and not hyper-tarded. People had a problem with Hemsworth being a a good-looking computer guy!?!?! but I don't have a problem with it and it's kind of a lovely complaint.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
My problem with Blackhat was Mann's insistence to show what's going on inside a computer. Felt really hokey.

Then again I only saw it once & now I'm kind of drunk waiting for Thanksgiving food to cook, so my memory may be kinda sus right now.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
I just watched One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest for like the 10th time and I catch something new every time I watch it.

This time it was Nurse Ratchett demanding her cap after the ward does their crazy party. She's angrily asking for it , attempting to restore order and control, but when Martini hands it to her it's slightly but noticeably dirty and she gets this look of disgust on her face and doesn't put it on. Louise Fletcher earned the poo poo out of that Oscar.

And to this day I still don't know if Chief was committed or voluntary. The movie never says. But I like to think he busted out at the end with that big sink just as a big gently caress you and as a tribute to Mac instead of just walking out the front door.

Tumble
Jun 24, 2003
I'm not thinking of anything!

Android Apocalypse posted:

My problem with Blackhat was Mann's insistence to show what's going on inside a computer. Felt really hokey.

Then again I only saw it once & now I'm kind of drunk waiting for Thanksgiving food to cook, so my memory may be kinda sus right now.

I may actually like Blackhat more than Public Enemies (but I'm a weirdo who likes Miami Vice), I just can't get into the cinematography of Puben, it sometimes takes me out of what's supposed to be a period piece. I think it would be better now that the technology has matured more, though.

And yea I understand where you're coming from on the computer stuff in Blackhat, but if you watch it again it actually doesn't happen too often and it's not over-the-top "Hackers" stuff.

Plus. Blackhat has one of my favorite kills in recent movies at the end where Hathaway breaks the guys arm and stabs him the gently caress up prison-style. It's brutal.

James Woods posted:

His next movie is rumored to be about this guy named Paul LeRoux. LeRoux is a loving bonkers guy, he is basically a real-life hacker version of Walter White, he started off programming and made a website selling drugs online - lower level narcotics - and made millions. Millions of dollars were not good enough so he said "gently caress it" and broke bad, dipping his hands into all sorts of shady stuff like weapons dealing and drug smuggling and of course fisheries in mogadishu.

Really crazy story, there's a podcast called 'Kingpins' that illuminates more of his doings.

Tumble has a new favorite as of 02:34 on Nov 27, 2020

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Watched Boss Level last night

tbh I was surprised it was directed by Joe Carnahan, but looking at his credits I guess he's all over the map (Narc & The Grey are fantastic tho) so :shrug:

Anyway, it's a groundhog day riff where Frank Grillo is a badass who has to relive getting killed by assassins until he figures out how to fix everything. There's a part where he's infiltrating a military contractor base and sees a bunch of army dudes and is like :suicide: and one of the main bad guys (Will Sasso) is liek "wait, what? that was weird, why did he do that?" which made me laugh. Not very subtle, but perfect delivery.

Aside from that guffaw, it wasn't very good, but fwiw it doesnt pretend to anything but dumb action. Also it has Mel Gibson in a small badguy role (that's bad). Imo they should've just had Will Sasso play the main bad guy instead imo, or at least not Gibson. Anyway thanks for listening :tipshat:

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

My pleasure

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
Will Sasso’s one death scene where they let him actually deliver some physical comedy makes the movie worthwhile.