Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
anime
.hack//Sign
.hack//Legend of the Twilight
.hack//Roots
View Results

Insert a Name Here
Nov 1, 2020

]Heres comes a wild chalen-gerlrllr~
I promise I'm not really like this with as big of a metaphorical bow as anyone can give.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
So which series is the Days of Our Lives of isekai/villainess stuff?

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!

Clarste posted:

Personally I find that Korean comics tend to do way more interesting villainess stuff since they're willing to stray much further from the premise without devolving into parody.

Something I noticed is that the Korean isekai comics tend to do more with the "past life in a modern world" premise. Melissa in Beware is inspired to relentlessly own the male leads because she's had infuriating experiences with men being sexist in her past life, for example. Even for the stories I haven't liked as much, I never really thought "why is this isekai and not just a fantasy romance story again?"

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Clarste posted:

This isn't quite what you're talking about, but this made me think of Death is the Only Ending For the Villainess. Basically the main character is sucked into an otome game, except on the secret "Hard Mode" where you play as the villainess and everyone hates you by default, and it's easy to run into bad ends where you immediately piss them off and they kill you. A mode which she never actually managed to beat. Throw in the fact that in her original life she comes from a similarly abusive background, and basically she is super paranoid and instead of actively trying to improve her situation she just tiptoes around everyone trying to avoid pissing them off. Like there is a scene later in the story where she cuts off all ties with one of the male leads who owes her a favor and could theoretically save her from her situation, specifically because she cannot understand anyone's actions except through the lens of someone who might hurt her.

I tried the first chapter of this but bounced off of it. The fact that the MC can't even speak of her own free will until the world decides she's hit an in-game choice makes it feel like she's got barely any agency as a protagonist. That she ends up just taking everyone's abuse also doesn't appeal to me.

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

I was enjoying that one until the MC bought a slave.

Please stop doing this isekai writers. I’m begging you.

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

Shhh... don't wake up the sleeping lion :3:

I'm not saying this gives them a pass, but she's not portrayed as a savior to the slave, and the story says early on that the slave's obedience to her is feigned and is his own way of surviving. The story makes attempts to draw parallel between how she used to bow and scrape to her adopted family to survive in the real world, and how she has to do the same thing in the isekai world, and how the slave is now also doing the same thing to her. So I feel it has some reason to exist in the story rather than just some horrible way of showing how "good" the MC is for "saving" a slave. The story is not very firm in establishing that their relationship is strictly for the sake of survival in nature, but it's not using it in a completely thoughtless manner like most isekais do, which granted is not some sort of gold standard.

I'm still not sure how okay I am with how the author is handling it, but I think the story at least shows some awareness, and I find it more palatable because of that.

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

amigolupus posted:

I tried the first chapter of this but bounced off of it. The fact that the MC can't even speak of her own free will until the world decides she's hit an in-game choice makes it feel like she's got barely any agency as a protagonist. That she ends up just taking everyone's abuse also doesn't appeal to me.

The best part is when she snaps and stands up for herself and is mystified when people have their affection rates rise.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Oh cool, I'm already reading most of those too and just didn't jive with a couple, like isekai uncle and instant death. Neat, thanks for all the recommendations, I am also struggling with the high quality/low updates of Vengeful Cat and LVL 99 villainess.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
Ooh, just read that Eris one linked above and it's pretty cool; it starts off fairly typically, but then becomes a detective story! It's all about the ghost of the villainess working with some noble girl who can see her in order to investigate various figures in the aristocracy and figure out who killed her.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Argue posted:

Ooh, just read that Eris one linked above and it's pretty cool; it starts off fairly typically, but then becomes a detective story! It's all about the ghost of the villainess working with some noble girl who can see her in order to investigate various figures in the aristocracy and figure out who killed her.

Oh, I totally got the wrong idea of it. I thought it was going to have her groundhog day back to the day she died but she'd be doing her best to keep her safe from mysterious figures trying to kill her again.

Oh hey, S rank Daughter updated

Is there a shortcut for url links? I know there is one for spoiler tags now. (ctrl+p)

RareAcumen fucked around with this message at 09:36 on Nov 24, 2020

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

amigolupus posted:

The dialog choice restriction gets cleared up pretty quickly, but yeah, it's the opposite of a power fantasy. A powerlessness fantasy? The whole point is that she lacks agency and freedom and the overall feeling is very oppressive, but that just makes it more cathartic when she actually does do something, imo.

Also, well, I gave it as a recommendation of a villainess in an abusive situation who is not magically good at escaping it.

blizzardvizard posted:

I'm not saying this gives them a pass, but she's not portrayed as a savior to the slave, and the story says early on that the slave's obedience to her is feigned and is his own way of surviving. The story makes attempts to draw parallel between how she used to bow and scrape to her adopted family to survive in the real world, and how she has to do the same thing in the isekai world, and how the slave is now also doing the same thing to her. So I feel it has some reason to exist in the story rather than just some horrible way of showing how "good" the MC is for "saving" a slave. The story is not very firm in establishing that their relationship is strictly for the sake of survival in nature, but it's not using it in a completely thoughtless manner like most isekais do, which granted is not some sort of gold standard.

I'm still not sure how okay I am with how the author is handling it, but I think the story at least shows some awareness, and I find it more palatable because of that.

Yeah, her behavior is often compared to a slave by other people, so I was under the impression that it was a deliberate parallel. Although the story doesn't dwell on it very much because she almost immediately regrets her decision and starts avoiding him, not for any moral reasons but more because she realized that having another big strong man with a motive to kill her around maybe wasn't the best idea. Which is already a step up from the usual portrayal of isekai slaves as automatically devoted to their savior-owner: she's thinking of him a person in a rough situation who might lash out at her, not as someone she has any power or authority over.

Clarste fucked around with this message at 09:55 on Nov 24, 2020

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

RareAcumen posted:

Oh cool, I'm already reading most of those too and just didn't jive with a couple, like isekai uncle and instant death. Neat, thanks for all the recommendations, I am also struggling with the high quality/low updates of Vengeful Cat and LVL 99 villainess.
Was lukewarm on Lvl 99 at first but I like it more now that she isn't surrounded by idiots

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Jackard posted:

Was lukewarm on Lvl 99 at first but I like it more now that she isn't surrounded by idiots

Isekai world inhabitants are a superstitious and cowardly lot.

Literally Kermit
Mar 4, 2012
t

Argue posted:

I just caught up with the one about the Duchess who revolutionizes tea and I think my favorite part is how 92 chapters into this world which is essentially Earth in all but name, they suddenly mention that lamps were invented by powerful wizards from the Tower of Masts and that these lamps are powered by mana--the first mention that magic even exists in this world--only for this factoid to never be brought up again, in favor of just giving us more tea.

Actually it comes up a lot sooner than that, but long after it begins and it’s just as awkward - there’s mention of a magical forest full of monsters and a magical icy lake full of even worse monsters. Mrs. Collins suggested the lakeside to Chloe (via a maid) as an ideal place to picnic, hoping it would get her disfigured or worse. This last act proved to be her swan song, and yes it involves tea (specifically her tea-buddy knights, who intervene, tell her the truth about the lake, and they all go have tea some place safer.

Yes, she has tea-buddy knights. (Not so much a spoiler as an endorsement.) It is not an exciting series, but it is enjoyable just for the ways that tea is employed as a solution to most problems.

Edit: and yes, this and the mana-lamps are the only two mentions of anything remotely magical, and probably will not come up again.

Literally Kermit fucked around with this message at 16:46 on Nov 24, 2020

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

This is still early on but I'd like to see where it goes https://mangadex.org/title/48279/i-...will-dote-on-me

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.
I started reading, Actually, I was the real one:
https://mangadex.org/title/55529/actually-i-was-the-real-one

Quite fun, the MC is dumb in just the right way.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

Why does that particular dad keep showing up in Korean comics?

Pyronic
Oct 1, 2008

ROYAL RAINWHARRGARBL

Jackard posted:

This is still early on but I'd like to see where it goes https://mangadex.org/title/48279/i-...will-dote-on-me

I also like how this is starting.

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Our God..... is an awesome God

Jackard posted:

Plea to Japanese writers: If you are writing a series that may some day be translated, please do not name a character "Prince Duke."

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Bremen posted:

Plea to Japanese writers: If you are writing a series that may some day be translated, please do not name a character "Prince Duke."

However, please name them Duke Prince.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
there is one godawful webnovel with a godawful translation i read where an early antagonist was named count monarch. and since it was terribly vague about politics, it was hard to figure out if he was a count or a monarch.

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre
The best is when a translater will Englishify a name (like Simon changed from Qin Chen), and then each group does this differently, so you end up not knowing who the gently caress they are talking about, or who this "new" person is.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles
Well, in the case of Duke Prince, at least the next group to take over can put in a note that he's the Duke Formerly Known as Prince.

Eeepies
May 29, 2013

Bocchi-chan's... dead.
We'll have to find a new guitarist.

VictualSquid posted:

I appreciate it this so much, she just going 'f it' and living life in a more carefree method is just so wholesome to read.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Emperor King Duke Prince

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Jonsing for an isekai that has 4 chapters of normal life on earth with their friends and family and etc and then summer break hits and they just mysteriously disappear and them we get the main story.

More Isekai stories like Space Jam, is what I think I'm getting at here.

RareAcumen fucked around with this message at 04:02 on Nov 27, 2020

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

VictualSquid posted:

I started reading, Actually, I was the real one. Quite fun, the MC is dumb in just the right way.
Goddamn, I read a little further and everyone is just so loving stupid that they deserve whatever happens after losing their saint.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!

Jackard posted:

Goddamn, I read a little further and everyone is just so loving stupid that they deserve whatever happens after losing their saint.

How bad is it

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

If you make it through the first five chapters, it might get better, but I'm a bit afterwards and still pissed off

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!

Jackard posted:

If you make it through the first five chapters, it might get better, but I'm a bit afterwards and still pissed off

Ok but does she get sweet revenge?

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

It's a bit plodding and while she does spend time planning for Cosette to arrive in her life she's spending a lot more time not being a stuffy prim and proper duchess.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

RareAcumen posted:

Jonsing for an isekai that has 4 chapters of normal life on earth with their friends and family and etc and then summer break hits and they just mysteriously disappear and them we get the main story.

What is the record for number of chapters/episodes taking place on earth as far as isekai goes anyways? Seems like a chapter 1 or end of episode 1 kind of affair.

quote:

More Isekai stories like Space Jam, is what I think I'm getting at here.
I prefer the masterpiece story 'Warriors of Virtue'

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

It’s not really a thing that happens because issue 1 of your comic kinda has to sell what your comic is about.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

Mors Rattus posted:

It’s not really a thing that happens because issue 1 of your comic kinda has to sell what your comic is about.
On the other hand, https://mangadex.org/title/907/i-am-a-hero

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

VictualSquid posted:

I’m following this, but I’m twenty chapters in and the only character I like or even remember anything about is the protagonist. The supporting cast has completely failed to make an impression. Maybe I picked up too many series at once.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

there is one godawful webnovel with a godawful translation i read where an early antagonist was named count monarch. and since it was terribly vague about politics, it was hard to figure out if he was a count or a monarch.

I have read some of that I THINK

he is a count who is a direct relative of the royal family and thus a ROYAL count. this seperates him from the other nobles who form a counter-faction to the royal family. And there are if I remember magically powered mecha

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

AtomikKrab posted:

I have read some of that I THINK

he is a count who is a direct relative of the royal family and thus a ROYAL count. this seperates him from the other nobles who form a counter-faction to the royal family. And there are if I remember magically powered mecha

Royal Count translated as Count Monarch is amazing, up there with translating deep (as in physical depth) as profound.

Siegkrow
Oct 11, 2013

Arguing about Lore for 5 years and counting

Mors Rattus posted:

Royal Count translated as Count Monarch is amazing, up there with translating deep (as in physical depth) as profound.

If you speak spanish, deep and profound use the same word :downs:

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.

Artificer posted:

Ok but does she get sweet revenge?

In the "the best revenge is living well" sense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

VictualSquid posted:

I'm 12 chapters in and I don't know what exactly are the parts that Jackard disliked about it. The first 5 chapters were a recap on what happened the first cycle around and once you get out of that loop it's her washing her hands of living her life for the sole purpose of seeking her father's approval and working on the parts she didn't do a good job of last time. Like being a people person.

It's been pretty heartwarming so far, she's trying to resign from her former position as a knight captain and everyone's like 'Wait what? Why, we love you, boss!' Because she's so serious all the time that she kinda killed the mood being their stone-faced superior all the time. So now she's all 'Oh, gently caress, people did like me, I just did a bad job of realizing that'