Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
somehow still in stock.
Do people really not want a 5800x that much?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

Fauxtool posted:

somehow still in stock.

I think it just isn't a well known vendor and might not be showing up on peoples' stock notifications?

e: It doesn't show up on at least one of the discords I followed earlier to get my 5800X.

Sipher
Jan 14, 2008
Cryptic
Walmart overpriced 5600x just showed as delayed (eta was tomorrow) so rolling the dice on that 5800. Cmoooon baby, I'm tired of looking at all these parts waiting on the cpu.

Edit- holy crap it already shipped. Excited!

Sipher fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Nov 25, 2020

Don't Ask
Nov 28, 2002

denereal visease posted:

What kind of idle temps are the other 5800X goons seeing?

Idling at ~50c and sometimes hitting the thermal limit of 90c during heavy use, with an old Corsair 120mm AIO.

But the pump is probably dying so I'm going to replace it with a 280mm AIO and hopefully it won't throttle as much.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

Don't Ask posted:

Idling at ~50c and sometimes hitting the thermal limit of 90c during heavy use, with an old Corsair 120mm AIO.

But the pump is probably dying so I'm going to replace it with a 280mm AIO and hopefully it won't throttle as much.

Yeah, a 120mm AIO is way too small based on what I'm seeing with mine. Something like an Artic Freezer II 280 should be fantastic though.

AMD says you might still hit like 80-85 with a 240mm AIO or good air cooler on these CPUs, for reference.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

sean10mm posted:

I think it just isn't a well known vendor and might not be showing up on peoples' stock notifications?

e: It doesn't show up on at least one of the discords I followed earlier to get my 5800X.

Yeah that vendor is a deep cut, but I have bought from them quite a bit on eBay then forgot they existed. They gave me a tracking number too though I'll only believe it when the box is in USPS's hands and not just "shipping label printed".

If I just turn two of the cores off in the BIOS, would the 5800x behave identically to a 5600x? In case I want to make 100% sure the wattage doesn't go over a certain amount? Or would it be more efficient to just lower the volts/clocks and keep all 8 cores on?

vanilla slimfast
Dec 6, 2006

If anyone needs me, I'll be in the Angry Dome

denereal visease posted:

I’m getting 35-40 C idle temp with a Noctua NH-D15 (both fans installed) in a Meshify C case

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

Zero VGS posted:

Yeah that vendor is a deep cut, but I have bought from them quite a bit on eBay then forgot they existed. They gave me a tracking number too though I'll only believe it when the box is in USPS's hands and not just "shipping label printed".

If I just turn two of the cores off in the BIOS, would the 5800x behave identically to a 5600x? In case I want to make 100% sure the wattage doesn't go over a certain amount? Or would it be more efficient to just lower the volts/clocks and keep all 8 cores on?

You can directly cap the maximum power draw (and thus heat output) of the chip by changing the PPT from the stock number of 142 watts to something lower. The system is smart enough to change clock speeds around that limit, and performance isn't affected if the power draw would be below that number anyway.

A 5600X has a PPT of 88. Just lowering it to 120 on my 5800X took the peak temperatures in Prime95 small FFT down by 10C while not changing the Time Spy CPU score at all and reduced the Cinebench R20 multi thread score by <2%.

e: Basically a 5800X with a PPT set to 88 would be like a "next gen" version of the 3700X.

e2: Run Ryzen Master, copy down the default values for PPT, TDC and EDC, enable Precision Boost Overdrive and enter the default values for TDC and EDC and change the PPT to whatever new value you want to cap the total power draw to in watts. Run some benchmarks/torture tests, and if it works good then go into the BIOS and set the values to what you tested in Ryzen Master.

sean10mm fucked around with this message at 22:47 on Nov 25, 2020

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy
And is all this PPT and Ryzen Master stuff in the BIOS, or it is in software? My motherboard and CPU are both allegedly in the mail so trying to get the big picture with those.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

Zero VGS posted:

And is all this PPT and Ryzen Master stuff in the BIOS, or it is in software? My motherboard and CPU are both allegedly in the mail so trying to get the big picture with those.

Ryzen Master is a program that lets you change AMD BIOS settings on the fly so you can test different values without having to constantly restart your PC and go in & out of the BIOS over and over.

Once you figure out the values you like then you go and set them in the BIOS "for real."

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy
Oh awesome never knew they had something like that.

Dial M for MURDER
Sep 22, 2008
I have a MSI B550 with a 5800x and EVGA 3080. How much am I handicapping myself running Corsair LPX 32GB (2x16GB) 3200MHz C16 DDR4? Is it worth upgrading to some Crucial Ballistix 3600 MHz that has been recommended? Something like this https://pcpartpicker.com/product/KkqBD3/crucial-ballistix-32-gb-2-x-16-gb-ddr4-3600-memory-bl2k16g36c16u4b

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

Ok so now that my cpu is running cool again (fixed AIO install) are there any easy bios improvements (low hanging fruit) to get performance increases? I've got my memory running at 3200 Mhz but I'm not sure what other settings I should toy with.

bus hustler
Mar 14, 2019

Ha Ha Ha... YES!
dram calculator isnt super "easy" but its probably the only remaining free performance. https://www.techpowerup.com/download/ryzen-dram-calculator/

good cooling is essentially "overclocking" the zen3 chips since they'll just boost better / longer / on more cores, in my non expert opinion.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Fauxtool posted:

somehow still in stock.

Holy poo poo! Thanks!! I just ordered one.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

48 units of the 5900X to be received in the next 2 weeks by Scan. I'm not gonna get my CPU until 2021.

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

Dial M for MURDER posted:

I have a MSI B550 with a 5800x and EVGA 3080. How much am I handicapping myself running Corsair LPX 32GB (2x16GB) 3200MHz C16 DDR4? Is it worth upgrading to some Crucial Ballistix 3600 MHz that has been recommended? Something like this https://pcpartpicker.com/product/KkqBD3/crucial-ballistix-32-gb-2-x-16-gb-ddr4-3600-memory-bl2k16g36c16u4b

It's not worth upgrading if you already have the 3200 sticks, no.

Dial M for MURDER
Sep 22, 2008
Ok, will keep on trucking then, thanks.

Hasturtium
May 19, 2020

And that year, for his birthday, he got six pink ping pong balls in a little pink backpack.
Any verdict on a good B450 mini-ITX motherboard? I'm periodically seeing decent deals on them on eBay and am considering putting one into a hideous twenty year old HP my neighbor was getting ready to throw away to make a sleeper PC.

Kefit
May 16, 2006
layl

Fauxtool posted:

this 5800x has been up for almost 20m
https://www.antonline.com/AMD/Computers/Electronic_Components/Microprocessors/1411790

who knows if you will ever get it but you can try

Looks like these are still available. I just ordered one myself.

I've been holding out for a 5600x for the past couple weeks, but I haven't even come close to getting in an order despite immediately jumping on every stock drop discord alert while working from home. I figure I may as well settle upwards on the 5800x while it's available, since I can afford it. Maybe I can save a bit of money on my new build by reusing some ram or something.

bus hustler
Mar 14, 2019

Ha Ha Ha... YES!
they dont charge tax? at least not in my state, so that makes the 5800x nicer. also it's a loving nice cpu, whatever if you can afford it.

ive barely left my house since march what the gently caress else am i spending money on

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Fauxtool posted:

this 5800x has been up for almost 20m
https://www.antonline.com/AMD/Computers/Electronic_Components/Microprocessors/1411790

who knows if you will ever get it but you can try

I have never heard of these people before in my entire life.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

SwissArmyDruid posted:

they are an official retail partner of AMD so it might be real

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

SwissArmyDruid posted:

antonline has been around for 5+ years, mostly in channels that are not very prominent (ebay sales, newegg/amazon marketplace, etc)

can't say if that's actually their website, I've never ordered through a direct web storefront with them, but is there an antonline selling computer parts? yes.

now, do they have 20 zillion zen3 processors? .....

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 05:20 on Nov 26, 2020

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

They certainly know how to block access to their site from non-US IP’s at least.

Rhaka
Feb 15, 2008

Practice knighthood and learn
the art that dignifies you

My scan 5900x order at ~550 queue pos is never getting fulfilled, is it

Should maybe just drop it and try to snag a 5600x instead--it would sure have been nice if we'd had proper benchmarks out earlier than in manic f5ing times. The extra CPU crunch is nice for running my super not-optimized Unity work projects though, but bleh.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Rhaka posted:

My scan 5900x order at ~550 queue pos is never getting fulfilled, is it

Should maybe just drop it and try to snag a 5600x instead--it would sure have been nice if we'd had proper benchmarks out earlier than in manic f5ing times. The extra CPU crunch is nice for running my super not-optimized Unity work projects though, but bleh.

I’m at ~130 and that’s just close enough to keep it, but I am considering a 3600 just to be able to build my new system already.

Rhaka
Feb 15, 2008

Practice knighthood and learn
the art that dignifies you

I'll probably get a CPU off amazon once all my other parts are in, and take advantage of the January 31st return window--but at this rate I'm not convinced I'll actually *get* my zen3 before January 31st.

I'm also growing increasingly concerned about trying to air-cool these processors in a NR200P/FormD T1

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Rhaka posted:

I'll probably get a CPU off amazon once all my other parts are in, and take advantage of the January 31st return window--but at this rate I'm not convinced I'll actually *get* my zen3 before January 31st.

I'm also growing increasingly concerned about trying to air-cool these processors in a NR200P/FormD T1

T1 might be an issue but a Scythe Mugen 2 in the NR200P should be plenty for a 5900X, or a Noctua NH-U12A if you go with the vented side panel.

You can always drop the PPT like a bunch of people suggested to me earlier.

e: Whoops, meant the Scythe Fuma 2

ijyt fucked around with this message at 14:20 on Nov 26, 2020

Chaitai
Apr 15, 2006
Nope. I got nothin' witty to go here.

College Slice
So with my new 5800x and Noctua DH-U14S, I'm getting idle temps of around 40-45C and Cinebench benchmark temps of around 87C. Is this OK / normal? This is my first time installing a new CPU and my own cooler, so I just want to make sure I've done this right so I don't screw up anything.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

Chaitai posted:

So with my new 5800x and Noctua DH-U14S, I'm getting idle temps of around 40-45C and Cinebench benchmark temps of around 87C. Is this OK / normal? This is my first time installing a new CPU and my own cooler, so I just want to make sure I've done this right so I don't screw up anything.

Sounds about right to me, assuming an ambient temperature of around 20'c. You can probably reduce them further by dialling back some of the CPU voltages in BIOS, I often find there's an easy ~10'c on the table just by dialling back Core and SoC voltages a bit.

denereal visease
Nov 27, 2002

"Research your own experience. Absorb what is useful, reject what is useless, add what is essentially your own."

Chaitai posted:

That looks about right. I'm getting similar temps on a NH-C14S in a SFF case, so you probably have room to speed up your fans and get lower temps if you want. As sean10mm has posted a few times and Theophany suggests, you can also play around with reducing PPT to drop temps without losing too much performance. I tried dropping PPT from 142W to 120W in Ryzen Master, and saw a 2% performance decrease in Cinebench at 10° lower temps. Planning to spend some time tweaking/testing over the long weekend.

denereal visease posted:

sean10mm posted:

30-35C with an NH-U14S

denereal visease posted:

I was seeing 70C for Tctl/Tdie at 22C ambient using a C14S in my Ncase M1 this morning, but after a reboot it seems to sitting in the low 40s :confuoot:

Don't Ask posted:

vanilla slimfast posted:

I’m getting 35-40 C idle temp with a Noctua NH-D15 (both fans installed) in a Meshify C case

denereal visease fucked around with this message at 15:45 on Nov 26, 2020

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011
i do not have 10,000 bircoins, please stop asking

Gamersnexus seems to have the same old mindset that the 5800X is the worst CPU for the money and if you're a pure gamer you should get a 5600 while a multi-use PC that does productivity AND Gaming should get a 5900x.

Like I get single core performance is the be all and end all for video games right now and actual core count could be detrimental, especially if you're going into multi-ccx scenarios because windows will bounce tasks between the cores and rack up latency.

But that's what's happening RIGHT NOW. Won't future video games be minimum 8 core capable because of the PS5/XBX? My thinking is that a 5800x will be the best gaming purchase once the price drops a little bit and games become more multicore capable.

Theris
Oct 9, 2007

The CPU in the new consoles is an underclocked 3700X. A 5600X should be faster by enough per core that it will be just as fast as the consoles' CPU even on something that could theoretically fully utilize all 8 cores. And it will be much faster on the real world games that will usually have one or two threads doing more work even if they're otherwise we'll threaded, on top of being just as fast on the theoretical games.

Theris fucked around with this message at 16:00 on Nov 26, 2020

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Kraftwerk posted:

Gamersnexus seems to have the same old mindset that the 5800X is the worst CPU for the money and if you're a pure gamer you should get a 5600 while a multi-use PC that does productivity AND Gaming should get a 5900x.

Like I get single core performance is the be all and end all for video games right now and actual core count could be detrimental, especially if you're going into multi-ccx scenarios because windows will bounce tasks between the cores and rack up latency.

But that's what's happening RIGHT NOW. Won't future video games be minimum 8 core capable because of the PS5/XBX? My thinking is that a 5800x will be the best gaming purchase once the price drops a little bit and games become more multicore capable.

Only one CCX on Zen3 except for the 5950.

You've.said it right there yourself though, the 5800 costs too much, people wouldn't be nearly so down on it if it didn't.

PSBOX5X have one core reserved for the OS, so gaming wise they're 7/14 systems. On the Xbox at least (unsure about the PlayStation, they were less vocal) developers have the option of running in 7/7 mode for a clock speed bump which MS projects will be most common, at least at first. So the question is, will developers utilize more than 12 threads over the lifetime of this processor, and if so will the ipc and speed advantage of the Zen3 parts be able to cover the gap? And that's a big old nobody knows; if you feel the answers are yes and no, buy an 8/16 part, otherwise the 6/12 should do fine.

The beginning of the words is ALMSIVI future proofing is impossible.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

e: beaten

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.
A 5600x will crush anything made for the entirety of PS5/XSX's generation, even CPU-demanding games.

I think the closest comparison would be the 2500k, which came out at the beginning of the PS4's gen and managed to last almost the entire eight year duration of it.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot

Some Goon posted:

Only one CCX on Zen3 except for the 5950.

The 5900X is dual CCX.

The reason the 5800X is poor value is that by the time you reach the point where the 5600X is insufficient for your needs, it's unlikely that the 5800X will be enough of a step up, if any. As far as console ports go, it's more likely that you're going to be unhappy with single thread performance than the multithread capacity. Games aren't like say, 3d rendering, they don't load all cores evenly and a faster multithreaded 6 core CPU is generally going to be sufficient to spread all the multithreaded load around and be more bottlenecked by single thread performance.

While the 5900X offers exceptional value for anyone who needs a lot of threads for non-gaming loads, and the 5950X offers value for people who REALLY need multithread performance but don't need/want threadripper, the 5800X is just... a bit more threads than a 5600X. It won't really do much of anything for almost anyone.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
If the PS5/XSX is ever going to be utilized enough that you'll want to match/overtake it that the 5600X can't provide, we'll be on DDR5 AM5/LGA1200 anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

A 5600x will crush anything made for the entirety of PS5/XSX's generation, even CPU-demanding games.

I think the closest comparison would be the 2500k, which came out at the beginning of the PS4's gen and managed to last almost the entire eight year duration of it.

I’m not convinced of this, the 2013 consoles CPUs were absolute dogs by PC standards, and the current consoles are packing essentially 3700Xes. A 2500K was way faster both single and multi threaded than the console CPUs, the 5600X vs new console CPUs is a closer match multi-threaded.

Consoles have some internal advantages that let you do more with less like unified memory and more consistent GPU drivers.

I also think this whole point is a bit moot, because the crowd that loves to have the latest and fastest will be upgrading every couple years anyway, while the 3700X and 5600X are both likely to run games fine for 8+ years.... just like the 2500K did!