Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What was the lowest point of the Simpson
Homer Votes
Harlem Shake
Keisha Tik Tok intro
Homer Live
Lisa Goes Gaga
Other (please specify)
View Results

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

Last night was the start of the QABF production run. It was a typical Al Jean mess, but it's one of only 10 Jean episodes in the run. The other 12 have Matt Sellman as the primary showrunner. For the past decade he's done like 3 or 4 episodes per season and pretty much any episode considered halfway decent in that time frame has been one of his. He's still stuck with the same team of writers but usually manages to polish their scripts into something with competent story structure and consistent characterization.

PostNouveau posted:

Bart gets a job as a voice actor but is dismayed to find out when the show airs that he voices a woman. This works bizarrely poorly because Nancy Cartwright's impression of Bart voicing a woman is pretty masculine. Bart feels better when his character turns out to be a murder machine.

I like how this plot didn't even bother to reset to status quo. Bart is just a successful voice actor now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

J-Spot posted:

I like how this plot didn't even bother to reset to status quo. Bart is just a successful voice actor now.

It'd be nice if it came up again. American Dad's a bunch of seasons in but they still do world-building.

They remembered Comic Book Guy has a wife this episode. But he starts the episode off with a really mean exchange with Agnes that doesn't acknowledge that they dated. So sometimes there's continuity, sometimes there isn't.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
AD's weird as poo poo because while I do think it's best episodes are well in the past it's still pretty decent at a point where Simpsons was probably at its nadir.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Simpsons_(season_17)

Including everyone's favorite episode, the Italian Bob

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs
one of my kids has a classmate named Bendetta, so I have been reminded of that episode far more often than is fair

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.

Milo and POTUS posted:

AD's weird as poo poo because while I do think it's best episodes are well in the past it's still pretty decent at a point where Simpsons was probably at its nadir.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Simpsons_(season_17)

Including everyone's favorite episode, the Italian Bob

I think this is the season where I stopped watching because I remember some episodes but not others. The Ricky Gervais episode was promoted like crazy here in the UK. The adverts were funnier than the episode itself.

Most of them sound vile though. I distinctly remember the "Grampa contemplates suicide and becomes a matador for some reason" episode and rolling my eyes so hard at the "diePod" joke.

Tiberius Christ
Mar 4, 2009

Just watched burns build an iron man suit to spy on his workers, ends up with homer confirming the natural order of boss and employee saying its been around since caveman times and they should let burns be a horrible monster for their own good

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Tiberius Christ posted:

Just watched burns build an iron man suit to spy on his workers, ends up with homer confirming the natural order of boss and employee saying its been around since caveman times and they should let burns be a horrible monster for their own good

The simpsons has been lovely about stuff like this for 3 decades now. Even the good seasons were rife with it

Filthy Haiku
Oct 22, 2010

i am shattering like glass

but at least
i have

springy ride

Milo and POTUS posted:

The simpsons has been lovely about stuff like this for 3 decades now. Even the good seasons were rife with it

Homer Badman is an amazing episode, but wow it treads really close to being super hosed up. I think they managed to save up all that energy for futurama and zombie Simpsons episodes about trans people though.

You could make the point that Homer Badman was more about the emergence of the 24/7 nationwide news cycle but it certainly does it in a ...concerning manner.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
The episode where Homer gives [celebrity couple] marriage counseling was the one that made me decide to not bother watching it even in passing. It was bad. A few years later I decided to give it another go and it was the one where Kent Brockman lost his job. Just... absolutely nothing happened. It was devoid.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Watched a little season 1, Crepes of Wrath and Krusty Gets Busted. Both hold up fine. I forgot that when Bart is going from the Paris airport to the farm he passes through famous paintings, or that the reveal of Sideshow Bob framing Krusty probably wouldn't have worked if he didn't confess. All Bart knows is the guy can read, doesn't have a pacemaker, and has large feet. Deny involvement and Bart would look crazy, maybe point out his mention of the pacemaker warning makes no sense as Krusty wouldn't follow a sign he doesn't understand.

pooch516
Mar 10, 2010

Hyrax Attack! posted:

Watched a little season 1, Crepes of Wrath and Krusty Gets Busted. Both hold up fine. I forgot that when Bart is going from the Paris airport to the farm he passes through famous paintings, or that the reveal of Sideshow Bob framing Krusty probably wouldn't have worked if he didn't confess. All Bart knows is the guy can read, doesn't have a pacemaker, and has large feet. Deny involvement and Bart would look crazy, maybe point out his mention of the pacemaker warning makes no sense as Krusty wouldn't follow a sign he doesn't understand.

They reference Scooby-Doo when Sideshow Bob is arrested so I don't think they were going for a realistic detective angle there.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

I still think season 1 of the simpsons is really really good and worth a rewatch if you occasionally watch old simpsons but usually skip over those episodes

Stingwing
Mar 26, 2010

Thank you Mr President for Making America Great Again! USA #1! I shouldn't have to understand other cultures, I'm a god damn American hero.

Das Boo posted:

A few years later I decided to give it another go and it was the one where Kent Brockman lost his job. Just... absolutely nothing happened. It was devoid.

That was a good episode :colbert:

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

GABBO

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.
Heh, that post ought to hold those little SOBs...

Muk Dumpster
Jun 27, 2020

Text Here
Have they brought gabbo back yet

spaceblancmange
Apr 19, 2018

#essereFerrari

Gabbo was in season 11

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
Gabbo is good.

I got curious: it was You Kent Always Say What You Want, s18e22. Surprisingly easy to look up, given I remember exactly one thing about it.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
lol looked up Gabbo and he apparently appeared in this Season 19 episode that I've completely wiped from my mind

quote:

Lisa becomes Krusty the Clown's newest assistant and steals his spotlight. She wins the Entertainer of the Year award, but is warned that with her sudden fame comes a new attitude towards others and herself. In the meantime, Homer and Bart form a patnership over their newfound activity of coin collecting, but they are one coin short - a 1917 misminted penny that appears to have Abraham Lincoln kissing himself.

If it sounds familiar, it's because it has the exact same plot as a golden age episode where what happens to Lisa happens to Bart.

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.
She didn't do it.

ulex minor
Apr 30, 2018

was my favourite book when I was about 9, I wonder if I read it again it would be painfully unfunny or not. The fact it's 20 years old is kind of killing me. Still in the good old days but Simpsons humour never really translated that well into book form.

I do remember the donut rating chart was my favourite bit, wish I could find a picture because I'm sure it would derail the thread for a bit where people argue about whether plain cake donuts deserve to be on the bottom or not.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Revisiting season 3+ recently and the thing that ages that era the most is the reliance on Bart being such a hellion but really all the poo poo he does is extremely tame by modern standards. Oh no he put an action figure in the microwave, that's definitely enough to send a babysitter to a mental institution.

HazCat
May 4, 2009

ulex minor posted:

was my favourite book when I was about 9, I wonder if I read it again it would be painfully unfunny or not. The fact it's 20 years old is kind of killing me. Still in the good old days but Simpsons humour never really translated that well into book form.

I do remember the donut rating chart was my favourite bit, wish I could find a picture because I'm sure it would derail the thread for a bit where people argue about whether plain cake donuts deserve to be on the bottom or not.

spaceblancmange
Apr 19, 2018

#essereFerrari

Forever searching for my pastry pal

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I miss Donut King. There seems a surprising variety of them, down here it's almost entirely cinnamon donuts (best eaten in packs of 3 while still hot) and more recently Krispy Kremes, but not the same.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Hakkesshu posted:

Revisiting season 3+ recently and the thing that ages that era the most is the reliance on Bart being such a hellion but really all the poo poo he does is extremely tame by modern standards. Oh no he put an action figure in the microwave, that's definitely enough to send a babysitter to a mental institution.

Bart Kills a Homeless Man

Bart Leaves for Syria

Bart Becomes a Drug Addict

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Hakkesshu posted:

It feels like the idea of 'well behaved/naughty' has quietly but almost unrecognisably changed from the 90s to today.

I mean, Steven Universe seems almost specifically a counterpoint to Bart Simpson, with the town's 'troublemaker' kid being a near unknowable entity, but Steven would probably get along great with both Bart and Lisa. I think it helps that Bart is drawn distinct from the malicious bullies who pick on their own peers, preferring to target adult authority figures (well, and Milhouse) and sometimes dovetails with Lisa's crusades against corrupt adults.

Probably the most we actually see Bart as a troublemaker is when Lisa babysits him, and it gets into outright disturbing territory (especially for still-half-decent seasons!) as Bart is willing to outright self-harm just to spite her.

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.
I prefer the interpretation that Bart is quietly brilliant, which was seemingly much more prominent in the earlier seasons. It wasn't the popular image of him taken up by merch and so on, which was quaint even then and more of a Dennis the Menace throwback than anything else (referenced countless times in the show proper), but to me it makes him a much more likeable character. He's a troublemaker, but he was also treated badly from the word go by his school, his peers, his family (often inadvertently), and other authority figures in an American bubble town that is essentially its own universe. Nobody told him that he could be good at something and enjoy it, or even gave him a clue as to what that might be. I sometimes think there should be more characters like early seasons Bart.

I like the Oakley/Weinstein seasons, including the Lisa babsysitter episode in a somewhat off-beat way, but it probably is the first time we get a darker treatment of Bart in that he might actually be quite disturbed. Later seasons ran all the way with this, to the point where I distinctly remember episodes where he's just an outright psychopath, albeit one that still seemed weirdly out-of-date if they were trying to do an honest depiction of 21st century "troublemakers", which they almost certainly weren't. Overall it was a bit upsetting!

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
He did put Homer into a coma in season 4.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

I remember that episode with the dead bird making him more nuanced...even though apparently that's in Season 10, beyond the Golden Age.

Bart canonically has ADHD, right? A lot of his behavior makes sense in that light.

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.

Imagined posted:

He did put Homer into a coma in season 4.

Granted, this was because a single shaken-up can of beer seemingly managed to blow up the entire Simpson house.

ulex minor
Apr 30, 2018

did you scan this from your own book?

either way, THANK YOU

doesn't saturday look the most appealing?

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

“Bart The Genius” being the very first real episode was a bifurcation point and thee is a parallel universe where the Simpsons was an exploration of a nonconforming prodigy who changed the world

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

I was watching simpsons at 0.75 without knowing until a scene where homer and bart were getting back massages at a hotel and the noises they were making were super drawn out like a youtube poop

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Steven would probably get along great with both Bart and Lisa.

Eh, maybe more Rod and Todd. :colbert:

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time
RDRR

Stingwing
Mar 26, 2010

Thank you Mr President for Making America Great Again! USA #1! I shouldn't have to understand other cultures, I'm a god damn American hero.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Is this a high point or a low point?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wdntmGp7lO4

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

dmjonestown
Feb 24, 2011

ulex minor posted:

20? Try 27. We’re old.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Simpsons Sing the Blues was rad and Do The Batman is MJs best single