Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED
Even after a decade it's still wild to me how many managers seem to think that their job involves making absolutely no decisions or judgement calls.

(in this case that would be, "is bringing this question to my direct reports going to cause a big derail or is it just knowledge they can transmit with human language?")

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

downout
Jul 6, 2009

ChickenWing posted:

INFRA/DEVOPS FRIENDS: I am at my wits' loving end with our new infra manager who has decided "protect my team's time" means "please open a ticket to ask whether or not someone knows about a set of credentials"

someone tell me this is actually best practice and I'm just too used to happy go lucky startup life because I just had to put myself on timeout before I did something dire like add a sad react to the message

Isn't this what slack/teams is for?

captkirk
Feb 5, 2010
That manager is doing it wrong. You don't protect the whole team at once. You give people appropriate channels for communication and then you rotate everyone through on call of watching those channels. You protect everyone on the team from interruptions... except for one person. That person should change week to week, but one engineers week is going to suck and that's better than everyone's week sucking.

That said if you're interrupting your favorite ops person for just a quick question, I'd like you to try getting your work done in a day with 30 "just a quick questions" drive by's sprinkled through your day.

Hollow Talk
Feb 2, 2014

captkirk posted:

That said if you're interrupting your favorite ops person for just a quick question, I'd like you to try getting your work done in a day with 30 "just a quick questions" drive by's sprinkled through your day.

It's very kind of you to wish for a quiet day for me!

:v::respek::suicide:

Space Gopher
Jul 31, 2006

BLITHERING IDIOT AND HARDCORE DURIAN APOLOGIST. LET ME TELL YOU WHY THIS SHIT DON'T STINK EVEN THOUGH WE ALL KNOW IT DOES BECAUSE I'M SUPER CULTURED.

captkirk posted:

That manager is doing it wrong. You don't protect the whole team at once. You give people appropriate channels for communication and then you rotate everyone through on call of watching those channels. You protect everyone on the team from interruptions... except for one person. That person should change week to week, but one engineers week is going to suck and that's better than everyone's week sucking.

The best solution I've seen for this is to have "office hours" for the infra/devops/DBA/whatever other deep-dependency team. Whoever's on call is obligated to take an hour a day to either physically sit in a conference room that's booked for the occasion, or stand up a videoconference bridge.

Anybody with quick "hey what are the connection details for this service," "could you provision me an account," or, "please kick off this job" questions that aren't world-on-fire urgent but don't warrant the overhead of a ticket is expected to bring them to office hours. If nobody shows up on a given day, the on-call person can just get other stuff done.

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

:v:

downout posted:

Isn't this what slack/teams is for?

you would think so

captkirk posted:

Yeah - I think the problem here is that our infra team has been gutted and we haven't managed to hire replacements, so we've got two guys left who are definitely getting "just a quick question"ed to death.

It's frustrating because I absolutely understand the need, but goddamn it went from 0-100 real fuckin' quick. I used to be able to hit one of them up for 30 mins of pair programming, now we here :negative:

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Salesforce possibly buying Slack: bad news or the worst news?

BabyFur Denny
Mar 18, 2003

smackfu posted:

Salesforce possibly buying Slack: bad news or the worst news?

I think there's little overlap between companies that use slack and ones that use Salesforce. Not sure what their goal is.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance

BabyFur Denny posted:

I think there's little overlap between companies that use slack and ones that use Salesforce. Not sure what their goal is.

Increase that overlap?

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

ChickenWing posted:

INFRA/DEVOPS FRIENDS: I am at my wits' loving end with our new infra manager who has decided "protect my team's time" means "please open a ticket to ask whether or not someone knows about a set of credentials"

someone tell me this is actually best practice and I'm just too used to happy go lucky startup life because I just had to put myself on timeout before I did something dire like add a sad react to the message
Have a conversation.

This sounds unreasonable to you. It probably is unreasonable from the perspective of the company's productivity, but at least try to understand their priorities. One of the hardest things for a new manager is to come in and build context. If they're hearing from their new team that the team is constantly being prevented from making real improvements because of an endless carousel of one-off requests, their top priority is logging and being able to analyze every distraction or interruption. Funneling it through a place that's a source of truth for historical requests might be what they need for now to build a team that's long-term effective instead of one that's run into the ground.

Or maybe this isn't the case at all, but they saw this pattern work well at their last job, they assume this is a universal problem for infra teams, and it's a bad decision for your company. Really, there's only one way to know.

BabyFur Denny posted:

There's an awful lot of companies using Salesforce in the places where you don't see it. We didn't even have Salesforce in our tech org for the first five years we ran it. It was completely run by sales ops and finance with no IT involvement whatsoever.

Hollow Talk
Feb 2, 2014
Salesforce plus Tableau plus Slack. Welcome to shadow IT land "because marketing needs it and it looks cool"!

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

Hollow Talk posted:

Salesforce plus Tableau plus Slack. Welcome to shadow IT land "because marketing needs it and it looks cool"!
IT professionals historically have a very good track record of understanding and catering to the needs of their marketing departments

Hollow Talk
Feb 2, 2014

Vulture Culture posted:

IT professionals historically have a very good track record of understanding and catering to the needs of their marketing departments

True. However, things get interesting when Marketing decides to get Tableau, and all of a sudden need to host Tableau server (which is heavy on resources), bonus points of it is hosted externally, needs access to your AD and databases, and might overwhelm said databases because people can now convince basically everything!

Edit: also that's another $35 to $70 a month per user.

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

Have you considered just making the ticket?

If you're used to being able to get a half hour of pair programming from the person you're sticky to on demand, I'm sure it feels weird to you, but that doesn't scale at all. Try engaging with them however they want for a while and if it's too obnoxious propose an alternative (office hours, interrupts rotation, etc).

Keep in mind that tickets let people track all their requests and then use those metrics for headcount, promo, etc. the manager isn't doing anything particularly weird. It takes like 10 seconds to make a ticket.

Space Gopher
Jul 31, 2006

BLITHERING IDIOT AND HARDCORE DURIAN APOLOGIST. LET ME TELL YOU WHY THIS SHIT DON'T STINK EVEN THOUGH WE ALL KNOW IT DOES BECAUSE I'M SUPER CULTURED.

Achmed Jones posted:

If you're used to being able to get a half hour of pair programming from the person you're sticky to on demand, I'm sure it feels weird to you, but that doesn't scale at all. Try engaging with them however they want for a while and if it's too obnoxious propose an alternative (office hours, interrupts rotation, etc).

Keep in mind that tickets let people track all their requests and then use those metrics for headcount, promo, etc. the manager isn't doing anything particularly weird. It takes like 10 seconds to make a ticket.

I can see you haven't worked in places that have an extensive ServiceNow setup, run by people who think that all communication should happen when the ticket is first filed. I've had more than one experience where I had to pair with somebody for 30 minutes just to figure out how to get a ticket filed in the right place with all the info it needed to pass validation.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Space Gopher posted:

I can see you haven't worked in places that have an extensive ServiceNow setup, run by people who think that all communication should happen when the ticket is first filed. I've had more than one experience where I had to pair with somebody for 30 minutes just to figure out how to get a ticket filed in the right place with all the info it needed to pass validation.

Yes, but at some point if you're constantly being interrupted and can't work on the work you're assigned to, either your job has to be Wandering Super Nerd, or you need to put up some barriers. The "all requests must now be routed through a ticket" approach means that things that you're willing to actually file a ticket for get done, which means you either look elsewhere, say "nevermind" and move on, or file the ticket. When YOUR productivity goes down as a result, you can point to this new wall, the managers do their zigbee and decide that there needs to be more resources.

Or the new manager is thrown under the bus and then one or both infra people quit, and management gets super surprised when it inevitably happens.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

lifg posted:

To all of the above posters who are allowed to use Slack and not being forced to use Microsoft Teams: I hate you.

Hello fellow Microsoft shop job haver. gently caress Microsoft Teams

Sagacity
May 2, 2003
Hopefully my epitaph will be funnier than my custom title.
We use the enterprise Google Chat at work and to call it barebones would be generous. Having too much stuff in a preformatted block (like a code snippet) breaks the chat rendering, and has done so for the last two years. Ordering your chatrooms is impossible, apart from starring them they're always alphabetical. When you invite everyone it doesn't invite people that join the company later and they won't be able to even see that the room exists. Threads cannot be pinned. In fact, nothing can be pinned, so important announcements from a team are instead added to the room's topic as a workaround.

I'd love to be able to use Teams for chat instead. We use it for video conferencing which, again, works much better than Google Meet once there are more than a few people in the call.

Pedestrian Xing
Jul 19, 2007

I know this sounds silly, but at work I use a MacBook so I'm used to all the IDE shortcuts using the Command key. I'm working on some side projects on my Windows PC and can't get anything done. Is there a way to get a Mac keyboard and make IntelliJ actually work right with it?

Sagacity
May 2, 2003
Hopefully my epitaph will be funnier than my custom title.
I've solved that in the reverse way, by using a tool called Karabiner Elements to remap my work MacBook's keys. Perhaps something similar exists for Windows as well.

manero
Jan 30, 2006

Give AutoHotKey a try

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
Be warned, it's not really a 1 for 1 swap, there's stuff on Mac that uses Ctrl (ctrl-c to break in terminal) and stuff in windows that uses alt (alt-tab)

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed
I bind caps lock to command on macos and ctrl on windows and that makes most common shortcuts just work.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
are the ergonomics on that still good? Like once you get used to it is caps-c and caps-v comfortable to hit a thousand times a day?

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed
Much more comfortable than ctrl or command IMO. Ctrl requires repositioning my hand a little and caps lock doesn't.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Sagacity posted:

We use it for video conferencing which, again, works much better than Google Meet once there are more than a few people in the call.

Please, elaborate!

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015
I used Google Meet once, when giving remote workshop to a small co that used it.

When I was screen sheering, every time I alt-tabbed into any Chrome window, it started sharing the google meet tab, no matter which tab I was on. The performance was also pretty atrocious...

Basically I am willing to believe that anything is better than Google Meet, including sending messages over carrier pigeons :v:

Hollow Talk
Feb 2, 2014
We use Google Meets with 20 people in a call basically every single day, and its performance is miles ahead of Slack and also better than Teams. :confuoot:

When did you last use Meets, because it had come a long way in the past year or so.

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

My company switched over to Teams this year and I have my complaints about it, but it freezing Chrome and my laptop to the point where I'd have to reboot isn't one of them, unlike with Meet. I've never had to play the "oh boy will I even be able to join this meeting" game since the switch.

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015

Hollow Talk posted:

We use Google Meets with 20 people in a call basically every single day, and its performance is miles ahead of Slack and also better than Teams. :confuoot:

When did you last use Meets, because it had come a long way in the past year or so.

We use primarily Skype, and I used it in August IIRC.

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

Vulture Culture posted:

Have a conversation.

Yeah we're in the process. There's a bit of baggage that I seem to have inherited when joining this team too, so that's not helping. I'm going through the channels to try and hack out a better process.

Achmed Jones posted:

Yeah I mean at the end of the day I've got a blocker so I'm following the process, we just went from 0 to 100 with no attempt at finding a middle ground and also I was grumpy and needed somewhere to grouch that wasn't a work channel :sun:

RC Cola posted:

Hello fellow Microsoft shop job haver. gently caress Microsoft Teams

:yeah:

Honestly I love the integration between outlook/calendar/meetings but the chat is goddamn miserable and general chatter has basically evaporated since we made the move which feels especially bad in the context of COVID

lifg
Dec 4, 2000
<this tag left blank>
Muldoon

ChickenWing posted:

Honestly I love the integration between outlook/calendar/meetings but the chat is goddamn miserable and general chatter has basically evaporated since we made the move which feels especially bad in the context of COVID

That’s the weird thing about teams. It discourages casual chatting, and I don’t know quite why.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Meet's working fine for us for small meetings. :shrug:

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

My team set up a separate channel for fun stuff and there's also a company-wide fun channel, it works fine. I think there's more random chatter now but that's probably more the pandemic anyway. I need Microsoft to give me the ability to react with all of the animated emojis they have though, rather than just the six boring ones, that penguin is calling for it

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Xarn posted:

I used Google Meet once, when giving remote workshop to a small co that used it.

When I was screen sheering, every time I alt-tabbed into any Chrome window, it started sharing the google meet tab, no matter which tab I was on. The performance was also pretty atrocious...

Basically I am willing to believe that anything is better than Google Meet, including sending messages over carrier pigeons :v:

That's absolutely bizarre. Meet lets you choose whether you want to share your entire screen, a browser instance (all tabs within), or a single tab. It shouldn't lock itself back to the present tab. Does this still happen?

e: PM if you prefer

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

lifg posted:

That’s the weird thing about teams. It discourages casual chatting, and I don’t know quite why.

not compatible with The Olds

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

i haven't washed my penis since i jerked it to a phtotograph of george w. bush in 2003
google meet works better than zoom

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

Teams is a step up from LyncSkype for Business, at least.

Pedestrian Xing
Jul 19, 2007

Munkeymon posted:

Teams is a step up from LyncSkype for Business, at least.

Holy poo poo this. At a previous job we discovered one of the other teams was coordinating everything through 1000+ message email reply-all chains since Skype has no group chat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015

Volmarias posted:

That's absolutely bizarre. Meet lets you choose whether you want to share your entire screen, a browser instance (all tabs within), or a single tab. It shouldn't lock itself back to the present tab. Does this still happen?

e: PM if you prefer

I have no idea, I didn't use it before, and I don't intend to use it again :v: